Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Some questions I was going to ask Rob
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Zhan Shi
1. If someone loses their commlink, can they call their msp and "cancel" it, much like credit cards today? When they get their new commlink, how exactly do they go about re-downloading all the previous info?

2. Say a mystic adept has 3 points invested in magic skills, and 3 points in adept powers. He would roll 3 magic to resist drain from the use of magical skills/metamagic techniques, and 3 to resist drain from adept powers/metamagic techniques. Correct? Or have I read the rules wrong? Thanks.
Ol' Scratch
1) Don't try and figure out anything logical when it comes to SIN and Commlink security in a system where all your vital information is freely exchanged with anyone within range. Just assume you have complete control over your own SIN and you're the only one who can actively use it. Lose your commlink, bam, just get a new one and the issue is dealt with.

2) You don't use Magic when making a Drain Resistance Test in most cases (I say that because I can't think of a single example in which you do, but there may be a few), so it doesn't matter. But from what I understand, whenever you do need to roll Magic and it only applies to one side of the fence or the other, you're limited by how many points you set aside for it.

The modified Magic attributes do determine if Drain is Physical or Stun, though.

I really don't understand why they made Mystic Adepts so awkward in SR4. Previously, they were just normal Adepts who had access to a Magical Power adept power that gave them a virtual Magic score for purposes of spellcasting. It was much more intuitive, in my opinion.
darthmord
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
You don't use Magic when making a Drain Resistance Test in most cases (I say that because I can't think of a single example in which you do, but there may be a few), so it doesn't matter. But from what I understand, whenever you do need to roll Magic and it only applies to one side of the fence or the other, you're limited by how many points you set aside for it.

The modified Magic attributes do determine if Drain is Physical or Stun, though.

I really don't understand why they made Mystic Adepts so awkward in SR4. Previously, they were just normal Adepts who had access to a Magical Power adept power that gave them a virtual Magic score for purposes of spellcasting. It was much more intuitive, in my opinion.

It would have been better had the description for a mystical adept had been clearer. Sure it probably would have cost more words, but the minimalist approach the rules took with 4th edition really grates my nerves.
Zhan Shi
ah, so sorry. just saw that it is willpower+mental attribute,not magic. tahnks, funk.
Marwynn
I would think identity theft would be an even bigger issue in the 2070s than today, so I'd treat the Commlink/SIN issue like losing your wallet that happens to be a computer. And just like today there are a few monitoring agents who track suspicious activities with your things.

At the very least you're looking at someone using your SIN as a secondary identity and not making any overt purchases.

Or you could play it as something foolproof.

Zhan Shi
I'm with you, Marwynn. Maybe this issue will be covered in Unwired. For even the most basic tasks in 2070, a commlink/SIN are necessary, which would mean taking them on runs, albeit in passive/hidden mode. Therefore, the potential for loss and/or theft is high.
hobgoblin
the info isnt as much on the comlink as it is floating around online. the one thing tying it all together is the SIN.
kzt
Which you are cleverly (and legally required to be) continually broadcasting to anyone who wants it. It's like everyone being required to paint their SSN, home address and legal name on their car in 4 inch high contrasting letters.
hobgoblin
welcome to a stalkers paradice.

the public dont care as long as the benefits outweigh the costs.
its true today and it will be so in the future.

people basically dont want to learn about the risks inherent of a information society.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012