Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Escaping from the Matrix
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
TimeKeeper
<SPOILER WARNING>
I'M LETTING EVERYONE KNOW BEFORE HAND THAT THERE ARE GOING TO BE SPOILERS FOR THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS IN THIS POST BECAUSE IT HAS TO RELATE TO THE GAME. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Ok, so most of us have seen Matrix 3 and know the fate of Zion, the machines and the One.
Zeo and Trin are dead, the machines and Zion are at peace and anyone that wants out of the Matrix will be unplugged. So why the hell is Time-Warner and the Wachoski Brothers making an MMORPG that takes place AFTER Revolutions?

The Revolution is OVER. We (as humans) have won (in a sense).
The game has you playing as the rebels trying to free minds from the Matrix.
There's just no point. WHY???

And don't give that Almighty nuyen.gif crap...

"Another way, always another way..."
On a side note, I'm using a public terminal that has the Dumpshock main page (and a few of my other favorite sites) blocked. Luckly I remembered the URL for the forums and just bypassed the main page.
Digital Heroin
The Wachoski Brothers won't just slap out something for the almighty dollar... the ending of the movie could have gone a good number of ways, maybe the game is one of them... people who decided to stay, but realized that since they were enlightened as to what their reality is, they want out after the initial wave of releases... the machines don't want them to be allowed to leave now, because hell they need some power, so they refuse... the Zion crowd, and the people who were free, don't have much motivation to go back to their prison since they won, so that would leave those people who are now wanting to leave stranded, thus the rebellion... hell, they could take it a lot of ways, but they'll have a good reason, I trust them Wachoski's.
moosegod
I don't trust the Wachowski brothers. This may be due to them ruining my favorite comic book, but oh well.

Anyways, this plan can be best summed up in the song: "Cash money money money cash money money money"
Platzy
my opinion about "Revolutions" aside, I can think of many ways how the MMORPG setting may be possible...

who said that all humans will be told what's happening and released?
I'd rather think that the humans and machines would enter some kind of "gentleman's agreement" - the humans try to free their fellow souls - which the machines try to prevent.
But once, an individual is freed, the machines put up not much more than token resistance to that the rescue (i.e. no legions of squids chasing the craft etc.)
Controversely, the humansdon't try to destroy the matrix completely.
As long as just a few humans are relleased over time - that's a loss the machines can cope with. Much too inefficient to waste energy on chasing after a single battery cell...
Aristotle
I'm not sure I understand the question. The movie is just the end of the trilogy (the epic tale of 'The One'). The world of the Matrix is still a viable setting for many more stories (which I am sure we will see in video games, books, graphic novels, etc..).

I don't really see a need for the concern for the storyline going into the game. I'm sure they'll take the time to explain stuff and continue to unfold new events through the lifespan of the game (and other products). I'm more worried about how the game will play...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012