Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun for the 360
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Hartbaine
Anyone played this? My god I made the mistke and bought it with out reading a review... it's complete garbage. If you were planning on getting it, don't bother. It's an X-Box Live only game or a FPS deathmatch game. There is no plot line, no missions, no GAME! Just deathmatch.

Completely lame.
Ophis
Don't worry, almost all Dumpshockers hate the game on principle.
SinN
To be honest, I refuse to pick up and xbox 360 controller as long as its on the market. Im more of a Playstation kind of guy anyway.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (SinN)
To be honest, I refuse to pick up and xbox 360 controller as long as its on the market.

Amen. We don't need to hand any more markets to Microsoft than they already dominate.

~J
Aku
unfortunately i did. it was interesting playing with another ds'r for a while but... disappointing...
Hartbaine
Whatever happened to good ol' SR for the Genesis. Sure it was LoTek... but damn they actually got it right, I still love playing that game. frown.gif
SinN
QUOTE (Hartbaine)
Whatever happened to good ol' SR for the Genesis. Sure it was LoTek... but damn they actually got it right, I still love playing that game. frown.gif

Hells yeah! A buddy of mine has is xbox modded and has the old school shadowrun game on there. He even wants to make a charactor based of the main star of the game. Sounded Interesting enough.
NerfHerder
If you get an emulator for the SNES and Genesis, you can play them to your hearts content. They are pretty easy to find out on the 'net.
As for the 360 version, it was a good game for what it was. Unfortunately it wasn't the Shadowrun we all know and love. Hopefully it sold well enough to show developers that Shadowrun has a market and they will come out with the game we all want. Thats the only reason I bought it.
Adarael
For what it is, Shadowrun isn't terrible. It's not great either. It's just a very, very average multiplayer deathmatch platform. Basically they slapped the Shadowrun name on something that isn't anything more than peripherally related (magic, trolls, cyberware) and wanted it to take off. It didn't, at least not how they wanted it to.

On a funny note, I had an interview the other day with Microsoft's XBox Dashboard division because I might be doing some work for them. I got asked this:
"So, I went to your website, and I saw you're a big Shadowrun fan. I'm curious - did you like the game for the 360, or are you one of the people that thinks we fucked it all up?"

That's verbatim.
fistandantilus4.0
and you response was...?
Adarael
Pretty much what I posted above. I did preface it with, "Well, I use Dumpshock a lot..."
And he laughed.

I mean, that's a pretty loaded question to get asked, y'know? Especially if you're like "OMG GIMMIE MUNNY TO RITE 4 U." I didn't wanna totally fuck myself over.
DTFarstar
I would like to congratulate you on sticking to your guns about it not being true to the universe and whatnot and not just being like "Oh yeah, I love that game. Teleport is my favoritest spell ever. Man, I wish my Shadowrun GM would let me have that."

Chris
Lindt
I threatened to shoot a new player who tried to use the game as proof that teleportation was in SR. As it was I threw one of 'the other game's hardcovers at him.
Bull
Honestly, I really like the game. smile.gif

It's not really Shadowrun, and a Deathmatch style game isn't really a good fit for an SR game anyways, but as a Deathmatch style FPS on teh whole, it's a lot of fun. The "SR-esque" elements actually really enchance what is otherwise, IMO, a pretty bland gaming experience (I'm not really fond of these types of games normally). The Teleport and Rez stuff really add a nifty dimension to the gameplay.

But honestly, if you added in or changed a couple names and made a couple other minor alterations, this could pretty easily have BEEN a Shadowrun game, in name and in form. The only thing you have to get rid of is the Teleport Spell.

Even Rez could stay, if you change the name to "Healing" and add in a bit of explanation somewhere. See, in most game styles, you go down, and stay down till you're rezzzed. BUT, if someone comes along and shoots up your body, you go *poof* and can't be rezzed. Sounds a bit like taking a Deadly wound and going into overflow to me. smile.gif

<shrug>

Yeah, this game could have been so much more. Or a simple name change and the game could have stood on it's own. But as it is, it suffers from a prejudiced fanbase and it's own failings to live up to the source material.

The biggest thing that upset me was lack of single console, multi-player support via split screen. I don;t mind terribly playing online, but I don;t take those games too seriously, and don;t play very often. Split screen would have allowed me and some buddies to hang out, get hopped up on Mt Dew, and shot the crap out of each other for hours.

Bull
Ancient History
QUOTE (Bull)
The only thing you have to get rid of is the Teleport Spell.

...and the Tree of Life, the Anti-Magic Generator, the various weird racial special abilities...
Bull
QUOTE (Ancient History)
QUOTE (Bull @ Sep 15 2007, 01:30 PM)
The only thing you have to get rid of is the Teleport Spell.

...and the Tree of Life, the Anti-Magic Generator, the various weird racial special abilities...

The tree of life is fine. It's not a current spell in SR, but it could be.

Anti Magic Generator... Tougher, but IIRC, Manawarps can be artifically created. Or done via a spell, quickened and triggered to a small, grenade like object capable fo sticking to walls wink.gif

The special racials are part of the small teaks I mentioned smile.gif

Bull
Hartbaine
QUOTE (Bull)
Honestly, I really like the game. smile.gif

It's not really Shadowrun, and a Deathmatch style game isn't really a good fit for an SR game anyways, but as a Deathmatch style FPS on teh whole, it's a lot of fun. The "SR-esque" elements actually really enchance what is otherwise, IMO, a pretty bland gaming experience (I'm not really fond of these types of games normally). The Teleport and Rez stuff really add a nifty dimension to the gameplay.

But honestly, if you added in or changed a couple names and made a couple other minor alterations, this could pretty easily have BEEN a Shadowrun game, in name and in form. The only thing you have to get rid of is the Teleport Spell.

Even Rez could stay, if you change the name to "Healing" and add in a bit of explanation somewhere. See, in most game styles, you go down, and stay down till you're rezzzed. BUT, if someone comes along and shoots up your body, you go *poof* and can't be rezzed. Sounds a bit like taking a Deadly wound and going into overflow to me. smile.gif

<shrug>

Yeah, this game could have been so much more. Or a simple name change and the game could have stood on it's own. But as it is, it suffers from a prejudiced fanbase and it's own failings to live up to the source material.

The biggest thing that upset me was lack of single console, multi-player support via split screen. I don;t mind terribly playing online, but I don;t take those games too seriously, and don;t play very often. Split screen would have allowed me and some buddies to hang out, get hopped up on Mt Dew, and shot the crap out of each other for hours.

Bull

I could have done with all the jazz they added from Rezz, to Tree of Life to Teleport, most games translated to the consoles are rarely 100% accurate (Except SR for Genesis... spot on with that one...), plus they are fun.

My only real gripe was I dropped 60 bucks for a game that has ZERO plot... ZERO 'extras'... ZERO everything. It's pure Deathmatch. I played it for about 4 hours on Xbox Live and haven't bothered with it since.

I got 40+ hours out of Halo 2s plot, about 20+ hours from Prey's plot, about 30+ from Gears of War's plot... hell, I'm still trying to beat Perfect Dark Zero's stages on 'Perfect Agent' difficulty, all those cost me 60+ bucks and the developers actually took their time to make the games have depth.

There should have been a disclaimer on the box:
"WARNING: This game is Deathmatch only, this box contains no plot." kinda like what they do with RPG supplements:

"WARNING: This is not a complete game, etc..."

I admit, it's fun. It's a lot of fun, but I buy games for the story and the plot. If Halo 2 was nothing but Deathmatch, I never would have bought it. Same reason I buy movies. If the DVD I bought were opening credits and right to closing credits with nothing inbetween then I wouldn't buy many movies.
Adarael
That's really the problem I have with most modern FPSes that are big sellers these days. I blame Half-Life's TFC mod, and then Counterstrike. Look at UT in all its' incarnations - it's really just a platform for multiplayer, which seems to be the case for so many FPSes. I mean, Half Life was a great multiplayer game, but the single player was awesome. Same with Unreal 1. Halo is just a pale shadow of the plotlines for Marathon 1 and 2.

The only recent FPS I've played that I thought was worth a damn (I've not played HL2) was STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. Because it played like Deus Ex in a lot of ways. It's more story than not, honestly.
eidolon
I haven't played STALKER yet. I despise most FPSs. The tactical stuff is good, like GR and GR Advanced Warfighter 2, but only if you're co-opping with friends. I have to say though, STALKER still intrigues me. The idea sounded awesome.

I'll probably grab it for 10 bucks when they bargain bin it in a couple of months.
Bull
QUOTE (Hartbaine)
My only real gripe was I dropped 60 bucks for a game that has ZERO plot... ZERO 'extras'... ZERO everything. It's pure Deathmatch. I played it for about 4 hours on Xbox Live and haven't bothered with it since.

Oh, I agree here. I was incredibly disappointed by that, and it's one of the things that made me go "Now why the hell did you go futzing with the story, if you weren't going to actually USE it?"

I was definately disappointed by lack of "story mode" of any kind.

Bull
Ancient History
My greatest, most fervent wish is that my worst fear will not be realized: a Shadowrun 360/Vista game novel.
Naysayer
My greatest fear was for that... that THING to actually become successful enough for Uwe Boll to adapt it as a movie.

As for novelization, well, as MS has basically killed all support for the game lest for the one guy who has to keep the server(s?) oiled and archive all the complaint-mails, I am confident that that won't happen. Except maybe when one of the ten guys who still play this game on Live decide to get into freelancing...
imperialus
I wonder if they'll be pawning the licence off cheep enough that WizKids could buy it.
Naysayer
I wonder if Wizkids really would be all that interested in a video game license.
Especially one that, as far as the general video gaming world is concerned, just failed quite unspectacularly.
imperialus
Hey, doesn't mean that I can't dream of my Shadowrun/Oblivion/Deus Ex hybrid. grinbig.gif

Seriously though. Even if WK does nothing whatsoever with the licence. I'd rather have it back in their hands than deal with another abomination like what ended up on the 360.
Naysayer
A disturbing scenario just crossed my mind.

Microsoft sees failure of Shadowrun FPS and slowly but surely kills it.
Microsoft looks for source of failure.
Microsoft discovers plethora of complaints by fans of Shadowrun RPG.
Microsoft realizes they actually have an inhouse team that does RPGs.
Microsoft hands the game over to the folks that made Dungeon Siege.

Thank ye gods, Microsoft wouldn't actually analyze user feedback, so we're probably safe.
Platinum
So you are saying that a 3rd person engine is worse than what they produced? Dude what are you smoking?
Adarael
That's not entirely unlikely in terms of the Dungeon Siege angle, given that both Gas Powered Games and Snowblind Studios are out in Redmond. GPG made Dungeon Siege, and Snowblind has some of the staff that worked on it.
Naysayer
QUOTE (Platinum @ Sep 16 2007, 09:04 PM)
So you are saying that a 3rd person engine is worse than what they produced?  Dude what are you smoking?

No, I am only saying, or trying to say, that a game that fololws the mechanics of Dung-eon Siege would (for me at least) not be any more Shadowrun than Microsofts current digital offering.
As to the second question: the guy behind the shopping mall claimed it was regular crack-cocaine... although I find it tastes a bit like soap and makes me dizzy.
Hartbaine
I think it'll go more like this:

Programmer: "Hey, we really should work on another Shadowrun title, and do it right this time."

Exec: "WHAT?!? No way! Do you have any idea how much money that game cost us? It was a bomb, a disaster. We're moving on to more profitable ventures, get Halo 9 in production!"

It’ll be our fault for not buying it of course. Since we didn’t give them our money they’ll see the game as a dud and not worth a second crack. Like movie sequels. Most likely they'll hold the license for as long as possible so no one else can make a profit from it.
Nychuus
QUOTE (Ancient History)
My greatest, most fervent wish is that my worst fear will not be realized: a Shadowrun 360/Vista game novel.

I'm thinking something like those Japanese B-games. THAT would sound more appealing than the current Counterstrike-in-2070 "Shadowrun" game on the 360 (Especially if they had some of those Adults only features nyahnyah.gif)

QUOTE (imperialus)
Hey, doesn't mean that I can't dream of my Shadowrun/Oblivion/Deus Ex hybrid.

The Shadowrun video game license should be given over to the same people who made Bioshock. (Who were in turn responsible for System Shock 2)

Damn meds... rotfl.gif
AbNo
Speaking of Genesis SR, whatever happened to that fan-translation project for the MEGA-CD version of Shadowrun?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/sega-cd/shad...n__/screenshots

From a bit of info I've been able to gleam, it takes place in Tokyo.

And apparently, there was to be a game similar to SC: Ghost, set in the SR universe, and it sounds like someone had their (massive stream of expletives) head on correctly when they were planning it, too...

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sha.../shadowrun2.htm
The scan of an article from NextGen magazine was kind of an interesting read, as well.
http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sha...run/nextgen.jpg

I sometimes still can't believe I spent $100 on a MEGA-CD copy of Shadowrun...
swirler
man a translation would be awesome
i have both the genesis and snes versions of shadowrun
I have a segacd but not that game
i've often thought about it just because im such a shadowrun nut
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012