Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Gamers
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Zhan Shi
At least it was better than "Fellowship of the Dice". It's a shame a movie like this could'nt have been picked up by a Hollywood studio, with, say, Peter Jackson at the helm. But the film makers did the best they could with the limited resources at their disposal. The ending in particular was innovative. Funniest exchanges, IMO:

"You're going to backstab him with a ballista."
"Uh huh."
"With a fuckin' siege weapon?"
"Uh huh!"
"OK, there's gotta be a rule against that."

"Called shot to the nuts!"
"What?"

"Do I get the +2 bonus from my sword of ogre slaying?"
"No. It only works on ogres. That's why it's called a sword of ogre slaying."

"I sneak along the floor, an inch at a time, looking for traps."
"Whatever."

The movie is such that only an RPGer can really appreciate it. "Gamers" did make me laugh, as it portrayed fairly well the atmosphere at a typical gaming session....albeit the players behaved more like 8th grade junior high schoolers than college students. Over all, I would say it's a good movie to watch once, but not one I would want to keep.
fistandantilus4.0
....albeit the players behaved more like 8th grade junior high schoolers

Being as I staretd D&D att around 15, that should be jsut about right then.
Zhan Shi
Yeah. Myself, I started around 13. I think the movie would have worked better with the characters in junior high or high school, something like that "Freaks and Geeks" tv show. I did enjoy the back and forth between "our world" and the "game world", and the sound of rolling dice as the characters attempted their actions in the game world, along with the usual banter, some of which was quite funny, i.e., "Am I still unconcious?" Or when the game world archer keeps shooting the "Bandit King", despite the GM's insistence that he's been surprised.
Nychuus
QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
....albeit the players behaved more like 8th grade junior high schoolers

Being as I staretd D&D att around 15, that should be jsut about right then.

The strange thing is that I actually know some people who act like that. sarcastic.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012