Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun not cyberpunk anymore
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Negalith
13 million illegal without insurance… Why would they need it, they get treated for free in most ER despite legal status. Not to mention immunity from taxation. Ever tried to take an illegal to court? I’m working with a mother now who’s baby daddy is an illegal, and she’ll never see a dime of child support even though he’s working a good paying job. This same baby daddy was a gang banger who killed a guy a few years ago. He went back to Mexico for a year till the heat was off, now he’s back again…

As far as a disappearing middle class… Right now there are more wealthy Americans than ever before. A large percent got their start as part of the lower or middle class and moved up. Upward social mobility is common place in America today. Surveys show that a large percentage of Americans are optimistic about their economic futures. The economy is on fire. All aspects except for the housing and sub prime markets are doing very well. Unemployment is very low, and many of the “unemployed� do not even desire jobs. Talking about the “disappearing middle class� is nothing but class warfare intended to inflame jealousy and fear to produce votes and raise the upper tax bracket. American politics is based on playing one group against the others and making people feel they need government intervention. American culture is strongly influenced by political desires. Most journalists, bloggers and educators have a political agenda to push, making most social commentary highly bias.
nezumi
Firstly, no health insurance doesn't make life a dystopia. Again, health insurance is a relatively new concept, yet we don't consider 1900 America to be dystopian.

Secondly, yes, 12M people (and to say they're living like slaves is a VAST exaggeration. I happen to know a few personally. Yes, SOME are, but not the entire 12M) is a small minority in a country of 300M. That's about 1 out of 30 don't have a green card. Maybe half of those can be broadly considered to be living in 'slavery' like conditions, if we're being generous. 1 out of 60 is not enough to define a society.
Zhan Shi
I would just add that no matter how wretched an illegal alien's life may be in the US, they still find it preferable to life in their home countries. That says a great deal.
Zak
oh, the sweet bitterness of denial wink.gif

and nezumi, I never meant to say it was dystopian. just fucked up.
nezumi
That I can agree with, but that's business like normal. At least we're moving in the right direction.
DireRadiant
Johnny Rotten isn't Rotten anymore... that's all you have to know about punk nowadays
Seven-7
I blame Hatchetman in Field of Fire.

Besides sounding exactly like a friend of mine (John), he pulsates a large negative 'Style over...'.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mfb)
...it's fair to say i hate the current administration....when someone accuses me of hating america...

A lot of people seem to confuse these two very different concepts. The current administration, for example.
Kyoto Kid
Talking about the “disappearing middle class� is nothing but class warfare intended to inflame jealousy and fear to produce votes and raise the upper tax bracket.

...ahem. I am one of those "disappearing Middle classers" displaced when all the heavy industry was sold overseas. Milwaukee WI used to be known as the "Machine shop to the world". It (like many other cities and towns in what was so dis-affectionately termed the "rust belt") became literal ghost towns during the 1970s - 80s. Good paying union positions have been replaced by low scale service jobs. This also erodes the local and regional tax base needed for essential services.

Tax breaks for the upper income levels only do more damage. Personal investing doesn't fix the ills in the public schools, transportation, or healthcare. The only other choice the local governments have is to either cut back these services even more or shift the the majority of the tax burden to those least able to afford an increase.
nezumi
I don't know that the middle class is disappearing, but it's definitely shifting. Middle class is no longer manufacturing. It almost universally requires a college education. Unfortunately that means a lot of people are getting left behind. Still not dystopian though, since that also means a lot of new positions are opening up, meaning social mobility isn't just more possible, it is absolutely required.
augurer
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 26 2007, 01:40 PM)
I don't know that the middle class is disappearing, but it's definitely shifting.  Middle class is no longer manufacturing.  It almost universally requires a college education.  Unfortunately that means a lot of people are getting left behind.  Still not dystopian though, since that also means a lot of new positions are opening up, meaning social mobility isn't just more possible, it is absolutely required.

It's definitely shrinking. The middle 60% of America is earning roughly 10% less than it was 40 years ago (http://seekingalpha.com/article/18782-mr-a...ver-the-decades). The top 5% of American households hold nearly 50% of all the wealth. If you remove real estate from the equation, the top 5% own closer to 80% of all the wealth (http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/America/...lth_Divide.html).

There is plenty of mobility in the bottom ~95%, but breaking into that top 5% is virtually impossible. College degree or no.
mfb
QUOTE (nezumi)
Now perhaps you play a game where people can change jobs relatively easily, like they do now. You work for Renraku one day and apply to Fuchi the next without any problem. Where the government has to prove to a judge due cause before seizing your possessions, and where the average SR character can expect actual justice. If so, you'd be justified in comparing SR favorably to the real world.

that's not what i said. what i said is that i don't see any reason why a person shouldn't be able to change jobs within his megacorp as frequently as the average person can change jobs now. megacorps are huge, and are comprised of vast numbers of smaller companies.

as far as bettering one's position goes, management has to come from somewhere. the only thing that makes the sarariman's position worse than Joe Average today is that Joe Average has a slightly better chance of being an edge case--of going from drone to upper management with hard work and a little luck. the sarariman will need to work himself to death and have better luck than it'd take to win the lottery.

QUOTE (nezumi)
We don't define things like dystopia based on the very extremes of society, but rather on the vast majority of the population. I don't believe the very, very bottom of the rung in the US is especially large. That isn't to say these problems aren't important, but they shouldn't really factor into determining if our society at large is dystopian or not.

and that is why i compared you to Richard Villiers. in order to be grouped with him in the richest 10% of the world, you only need a net worth of $61,000. for reference, the net worth of the average american is over $140,000. i can't imagine those numbers have gotten much smaller in 2070. my whole point is that you and me are pretty much the world's richest people. we're the extreme.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (mfb)
and that is why i compared you to Richard Villiers. in order to be grouped with him in the richest 10% of the world, you only need a net worth of $61,000. for reference, the net worth of the average american is over $140,000. i can't imagine those numbers have gotten much smaller in 2070. my whole point is that you and me are pretty much the world's richest people. we're the extreme.

indifferent.gif
Huh.
Interesting.
nezumi
QUOTE (augurer)
I don't know that the middle class is disappearing, but it's definitely shifting.  Middle class is no longer manufacturing.  It almost universally requires a college education.  Unfortunately that means a lot of people are getting left behind.  Still not dystopian though, since that also means a lot of new positions are opening up, meaning social mobility isn't just more possible, it is absolutely required.

It's definitely shrinking. The middle 60% of America is earning roughly 10% less than it was 40 years ago (http://seekingalpha.com/article/18782-mr-a...ver-the-decades). The top 5% of American households hold nearly 50% of all the wealth. If you remove real estate from the equation, the top 5% own closer to 80% of all the wealth (http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/America/...lth_Divide.html).

There is plenty of mobility in the bottom ~95%, but breaking into that top 5% is virtually impossible. College degree or no.

That shows the middle class is getting poorer, not necessarily that it's shrinking. I'm curious how you define middle class though, since that's the first part in determining who belongs to it.

And it really isn't 'virtually impossible' to get launched into that top 5%. Bill Gates certainly was not born into his wealth, nor Steve Jobs nor Michael Jordan. You could argue they have a genetic advantage, but really, the secret to getting rich is being smart and working hard. Again, social mobility exists, it is real.

what i said is that i don't see any reason why a person shouldn't be able to change jobs within his megacorp as frequently as the average person can change jobs now.

Why? Because that costs money in retraining. Now the megacorp might change your job for you, but I haven't heard much about shadowrun characters saying 'boy, I'm tired of programming for this part of Renraku and this project, let me apply to this other project', at least not without a lot of political bickering to grab resources.

You can't simply apply me to the rest of the world like that. Why? Because of currency exchanges. The demand for housing around Mexico city is about as tight as it is around Baltimore city, yet a house in Mexico city isn't going to cost as much as it would here. For the $15 you'd pay for a reasonable meal in the US, you'd get a really spectacular meal in India. Relative costs increase as well. That's why many economists now refer to the 'big mac' exchange - looking at currency compared to the dollar gives a false sense of value, since most foreign nations don't pay for stuff with the dollar at American prices. However if you look at the cost of a big mac, that cost is relative to the viability of the local currency in its local market.

Heck, I remember visiting in-laws in upstate NY and mentioning we're looking at getting a house for $300,000. They scoffed and said we should start small. $300k IS small in the DC area! But just because I'm making almost twice as much as they are doesn't mean I'm rich and they're poor because I don't shop at their markets or buy their houses. This is also why it's so hard to classify the middle class. They live on something like $30k a year, but own their own house, their car, get cable TV, etc. $30k a year in this area you're living in an apartment and you're lucky to scrape by.

So no, comparing me to Villiers is a false comparison. I may be in the top 10% of the world and probably top 40% for the US, but I'm still in the bottom 40% for the area I live in. I'm still struggling to get by, I still can't afford cable TV or a new car. You need to compare wealth to its surroundings.

(And as an aside, I don't make $61k, so I'm still not in the top 10% nyahnyah.gif )
Penta
Nezumi nails it.

Defining the middle class, sociologically, economically, or even politically...Is nearly impossible.

One: There is no globally-standard definition of middle class.

Two: There is not and has never been a historically-consistent defitnition of middle class.

Three: Ergo, saying that the middle class is growing or contracting is impossible to prove or disprove - there's an easy way to measure the poor (the poverty line may be fickle, incomplete, and easily manipulated, but it's -something-) at least within a country. There are no really consistent ways of defining the rich in a country, let alone globally. There's really no way to define "middle class".

Keep in mind, the middle class as it might be thought of is a very modern thing, dating really from (being generous) the 1600s at the earliest.
Emperor Tippy
Montgomery County Maryland defines low income housing as anything worth less than 450K.

Bill Gates is a rarity. And Michael Jordan isn't one of the ultra rich. No American athletes make that cut, some of the F1 drivers do.

Break the billion mark and your in the ultra rich category. That is for money/resources under your direct control. Don't trust the Forbes list of the richest people, it only covers public assets.
nezumi
QUOTE (Emperor Tippy)
Montgomery County Maryland defines low income housing as anything worth less than 450K.

Hah, well I moved to Baltimore City! I know the low-income line has to be lower for me now!

(Yeah, funny how moving twenty five miles makes you feel like you just graduated from upper low class to upper middle class!)
kzt
I knew a guy who bought a house for 10,000 in Gary Indiana. He felt pretty good about this until the 3rd time they robbed his house, when they used a power saw to cut open the back wall.
pbangarth
If the percentage of the population that is classified as poor is growing, and the percentage of the population that is classified as rich is growing, then wouldn't it be the case that no matter how you choose to define/describe the 'middle' class, it is shrinking?
nezumi
Firstly, keep in mind that the middle class is not simply the space between poverty and riches. It is possible to be poor and middle class at the same time.

Secondly, the definition of poverty is changing. At one point the poverty line was the ability to afford housing and food and basically nothing else. Now it includes the ability to afford a car, televisions, cable, assorted appliances and so on. It's difficult to look at someone who can't QUITE afford the $450k home, has three tvs and enough time to go catch every Skins football game in town and believe he's truly 'poor' in the conventional sense of the word.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (mfb)
...for reference, the net worth of the average american is over $140,000. i can't imagine those numbers have gotten much smaller in 2070. my whole point is that you and me are pretty much the world's richest people. we're the extreme.

...140K...? grinbig.gif.

Seriously, my "net worth" as it calculates out is about.. well lets just say it comes to a mere fraction of that figure. I've been working a steady job for some time now, albeit now in the Service industry where it is basically month to month. After basic expenses, there is little if anything to put away anymore. Occupations in this sector have not kept pace with the ever increasing C.O.L. I do not own a car because it is too bloody expensive. I rarely travel for leisure because it became too bloody expensive. Every week I go to the grocery prices seem to have gone up from the last week.

The thing is I do not feel I am an exception as there are a lot of people I know who have fallen into the same economic strata as myself. Many of us who were once considered to be part of the "Middle Class". Maybe it really is moving upward rather than shrinking, and in the process, leaving a lot of people behind.
nezumi
And unfortunately, you're going to see the squeeze put on a little tighter in the next few years. This year alone, the price of milk jumped up about $2/gallon due to increased overseas demand. Same will happen with steel and oil soon. If you've ever been considering retraining to get a new job, now is definitely the time to do it.

And of course, that is part of what feeds into a dystopia. You find yourself locked into a position, either through poverty or through being held by other things (corp script, keeping your family as collateral, an illusion of being unable to compete elsewhere), but the pressure of costs of living keep you from being able to simply drop out of the race. You're in a prison enforced by financial realities.
augurer
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 26 2007, 03:16 PM)
QUOTE (augurer)

That shows the middle class is getting poorer, not necessarily that it's shrinking. I'm curious how you define middle class though, since that's the first part in determining who belongs to it.

And it really isn't 'virtually impossible' to get launched into that top 5%. Bill Gates certainly was not born into his wealth, nor Steve Jobs nor Michael Jordan. You could argue they have a genetic advantage, but really, the secret to getting rich is being smart and working hard. Again, social mobility exists, it is real.

If the relative wealth of everyone else is decreasing compared to the upper class, I'd say that's a pretty clear indicator that the middle class is shrinking, regardless of where you draw the bounding lines that define middle class, assuming those lines remained relatively static with respect to quality of life. There are now fewer people that fall within those lines than there were 40 years ago. Even 10 years ago. People have less "disposable income".

The ranks of the "upper class" have swelled some, but they're still far below that top 5%.

And I said virtually impossible. Not impossible. I'd say being in the right place at the right time is just as great a factor, if not more so, than being smart or working hard in getting into the top 5%, however.
gknoy
QUOTE (augurer)
That shows the middle class is getting poorer, not necessarily that it's shrinking.  I'm curious how you define middle class though, since that's the first part in determining who belongs to it.

True. If you consider the "middle class" to be those in the middle areas of a population distribution, it's not really getting much smaller.

However, if you consider "middle class" to be defined by buying power (ie, "able to own your own home, afford decent health insurance, and perhaps send a kid to get a good education") -- a definition which was kindof culturally ingrained for many Americans -- then as the group of people get poorer, they no longer have the same buying power, and thus leak out of the bottom of the "middle class" definition. In that sense, the middle class is shrinking, since we are generally getting poorer (as the existing wealth gets even more concentrated at the upper echelons). The growth of the average person's debt is a huge contributor to this loss of net worth.

I'm not sure the average sarariman would have similar buying power or quality of life as we in the "middle class" (or "upper middle", depending on perspective) have. In many ways they would, but ... I'm not sure. (All the things I mentioned, they probably have access to. I'm just leaving stuff off that I can't think of. I realize that sounds like a cop-out. wink.gif)

/edit: Another way to look at this is resources vs population. As a population grows, if resources stay similar then the average resources available to an average person will decrease. Capitalism ensures that some people can get significantly more than average, but this is a minority. Society in SRVerse seems like it is dominated by the urban sprawls, which nearly by definition all have a large population of poor people.

Actually, I'm not an economist, so I likely got that last part wrong. =/ It seemed to make sense at the time.
Buster
The "$140,000" average net worth is not accurate. The top percent of our country owns most of the net wealth, so the average is skewed in the extreme.

However, the median is still quite high (for white people): $79,400. Only $7,500 for black people. This is a perfect example SINners vs non-SINners.

QUOTE (U.S. Gov Census 2000)

In 2000, the household median
net worth was $79,400 for
households with a non-
Hispanic White householder,
$7,500 for households with a
Black householder, and $9,750
for households with a Hispanic
householder.
Hispanic house-
holds and Black households
had significantly lower net
worth than non-Hispanic White
households, but the difference
between Hispanic and Black
households was not statistical-
ly significant.
mfb
QUOTE (nezumi)
So no, comparing me to Villiers is a false comparison. I may be in the top 10% of the world and probably top 40% for the US, but I'm still in the bottom 40% for the area I live in. I'm still struggling to get by, I still can't afford cable TV or a new car. You need to compare wealth to its surroundings.

it's not false at all, because the fluctuations you're referring to are a drop in the bucket compared to the billions and billions of people who live on less than $10 per day. and they don't live on $10 a day because a big mac costs five cents where they live, they live on $10 a day because they're dirt poor. the first world's middle class is, compared to the rest of the world, the ultra-rich elite. we're the extreme.

moreover, your arguments continually underscore my original point, which is that most people wouldn't recognize it if they were living in a dystopia. they wouldn't recognize it for one of two reasons: one, things don't seem that bad to them, because they're rich and comfortable; two, things are so bad that they don't have the time, energy, or education to ponder frivolities.
Buster
QUOTE (mfb)
we're the extreme.

You mean the Canadians are the extreme. biggrin.gif
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (nezumi)
And unfortunately, you're going to see the squeeze put on a little tighter in the next few years.  This year alone, the price of milk jumped up about $2/gallon due to increased overseas demand.  Same will happen with steel and oil soon.  If you've ever been considering retraining to get a new job, now is definitely the time to do it.

And of course, that is part of what feeds into a dystopia.  You find yourself locked into a position, either through poverty or through being held by other things (corp script, keeping your family as collateral, an illusion of being unable to compete elsewhere), but the pressure of costs of living keep you from being able to simply drop out of the race.  You're in a prison enforced by financial realities.

..well said. When something as basic as a loaf of decent healthy Bread (excluding Wonder Sponge™) goes for upwards of 3$US, there is something seriously wrong. Cereals like Wheaties™, Shredded Wheat™ & Wheat Chex™ used to be the cheapest stuff on the shelf, now they're are 4$ - 5$ a box (for the small size).

As to new career training, were I 20 years younger that would be fine, I've already spent a fair amount of time in college only to wind up in a dead end degree programme. At my age going back on campus (at the price of tuition today even at a community college) is not as "enticing" as it may have been a while back. Though there is supposedly a law on age discrimination in hiring, it has very few teeth.
D Minor
Im Canadian biggrin.gif

Explain it in beer

wobble.gif
gknoy
QUOTE (D Minor)
Explain it in beer
wobble.gif

Increased grain and transportation costs lead to increased brewing costs. Suddenly, your beer costs more. wink.gif
Kyoto Kid
...beer prices in the US are still relatively affordable even given the higher cost of craft brews. For example in here a pint of craft beer runs about 3.5 - 4$ whereas in the UK a pint of halfway "decent" ale will run you about 5 - 6$ US equivalent.

...now for cheap pisswater, like Bud or Miller...well you get what you pay for which is usually followed the next morning by a nasty hangover and "lagermouth".

Now here in the TT...er...Orygun, there is talk of significantly raising the tax on our most precious commodity. That is an artificial increase in the price which only serves to hurt the smaller breweries by negatively impacting sales.
D Minor
Oh. I thought one guy had ten beer.(me ) lick.gif. And 20 guys where fighting over the other 2(u guys) frown.gif

If the math doesn't add up I blame the beer
Fortune
QUOTE (D Minor)
Oh. I thought one guy had ten beer.(me ) lick.gif. And 20 guys where fighting over the other 2(u guys)

Who brings a 12-pack to a party?
D Minor
Party for me Distopia for You all explained with beer smile.gif

And before u send Ninja's be warned i've got priates And their lookin at ur 2 beer
Zhan Shi
Welcome to our forum eh <urp>
Fortune
I always thought the word 'hoser' would make for good Shadowrun slang. biggrin.gif
mfb
it does stand to reason that if one can be hosed, then logically there must be a hoser.
Kingmaker
The person holding the Ingram?
Kyoto Kid
...while we are off topic...(well sort of)

Back in the Ronnie Raygun days when he constantly kept pissing off the Russians with his comments (and the Doomsday Clock ticked down to three minutes to midnight), I came up with an interesting plan called the "Ground Zero" party.

The party would only occur once we learned events were deteriorating so badly and the unthinkable was imminent. The event was going to be held somewhere on Marginal Way outside of Boeing Field which was (is) a primary target. As the focus of the party there would be a case of assorted liquor (which I actually did purchase). After driving up near the airport we would wait listening to the news reports. Once we got the confirmation of the launch, a bottle of your favourite would be passed to you and you had to start drinking with gusto. By the time the Soviet warheads detonated overhead (about 40 min after the "go code") everyone would be so gone already (if not passed out) that we probably would never notice.

The rationale was better to go out quick and happy. The only alternative would be dealing with a totally wrecked world that included fallout, radiation sickness, wacko survivalists and the onset of Nuclear Winter. Back during those days I frequently had "Nukemares" (nightmares about nuclear war), some of them rather vivid. Even today I still get a momentary flash now and then of what the scene would be like in the aftermath of a "city killer" detonation. As bad as it was (and I mean not to diminish the tragedy), in away we were fortunate it was fuel laden airliners on 9-11 and not an unaccounted for Ukranian warhead.

Having lived though another time when the clock ticked down to midnight (The Cuban Missile Crisis) enduring countless Air Raid tests, being subjected to sonic booms (which were not yet restricted), and forced to watch those now laughable Civil Defence films in school, the early to mid 80s had a feel of deja vu to them (we actually had built a home bomb shelter in our basement from the CD plans).

"...remember kids, when you see the flash, there's only one thing you should do...Duck and Cover..."
[…yeah, right... sarcastic.gif]

While I play and enjoy Shadowrun as a form of fictional entertainment, were the setting of the world real, I don't think I would actually fare very well in it.

...apologies for getting a little heavy here
hobgoblin
hmm, "kid"?
Kyoto Kid
...I try to think "young". Helps me put aside the aches, pains, and cynicism gained through all the years at least for a little while.

...of all my fears the worst is becoming another Andy Rooney (I'd rather be a Tom Lerher and at least have a sense of humour about it all).
Mercer
My stumbling block on the Utopian/Dystopian point is that neither really works for a game. In a perfect world, there's nothing to do. In a world without hope, nothing you do matters. From a storytelling perspective, it breaks down at either extreme. (Plus, its hard to imagine a world without misery or a world without hope. And if you don't treat them as ideals, at what point does a shitty world become dystopian. 51% hopeless? 90%? 99?)

That any world (ours, Shadowrun's, Canada) is not instantly recognizable as dystopian isn't really a mark against. If you know a world is dystopian and you have even 1% hope or choice left to you, why would anyone live there/put up with it? It would seem like any world on the dystopian side of things would require a certain amount of delusion among the populace to avoid open revolt. There's probably a lot of people in Shadowrun with not much hope or choice left but who just don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. The world is made for people who aren't cursed with self-awareness.

I should point out I never read a lot of cyberpunk. Or fantasy.
hyzmarca
Dystopias are never hopeless as long as your characters have the ability to flip out and kill people, just look at Equilibrium. Horrific totalitarian dystopia, but young Batman solves all of society's problems by flipping out and killing a bunch of people.
Kyoto Kid
...nothing beats a good Saturday Night Firefight. grinbig.gif

...really smile.gif
Lazerface
Saturday night is right for firefighting?
Gamble
I'm a bad boy and I skipped most of the pages since it was mostly talk of Canadians and beer but how can you blame me when it is 5:10 in the morning and I'm stuck at work in a Maximum security prison. Anyways, when the question of cyberpunk rises, I have to agree that it is the players and GM's responsibility to decide on what type of game they want to play.

Now don't get me wrong. SR4 looks more like the Ghost in the Shell/Richard K. Morgan Altered Carbon type of cyberpunk instead of the nitty gritty of Phillip K. Dick's Blade Runner. Is either one the correct way? That depends on what game you want to play. The books even tell you to play the game you want to play. You want it more nitty and gritty? Don't allow a good amount of the cyberware and make combat more deadly. If you like the glitz and galmour of being able to be chromed to the gills and try to make Chuck Norris cry (and notice I said try) then it is all up to you.

But the biggest thing that anyone has to remember is this:

[I]It's all about style...[I]
nezumi
auguer/qknoy -

Keep in mind that the definition of 'poor' has also changed. At one point it was unthinkable for the poor to be able to afford television sets. Now it's unthinkable for them not to (in the US). A poor person in my area can easily expect to retire and own a house in South Carolina, or to afford a public college for his kids, simply because the line that demarks poor from rich is relatively very high compared to say West Virginia.

Some have included home ownership as a major defining feature of the middle class, and in that regard the middle class certainly is shrinking. As qknoy pointed out, controlled supply but increasing demand forces prices up. In my area a lot of middle class people live in condos or apartments simply because the costs of housing are so incredibly high (again, $300k buys a rowhouse). Are they not middle class?

Some have defined the middle class as having enough discretionary income to have hope (for instance, Thomas Friedman, author of the World is Flat). They have the available income to invest in their children and themselves in order to make things better in the future. They don't have to own a house or a car in order to meet this criteria, and the middle class in say China makes a third as much as the middle class in the US, but can still be called the middle class.

Buster -
Do those numbers include outliers? As you yourself pointed out, outliers skew the results, and I believe the majority of billionaires or millionaires are white.

mfb -
Yes, they do live on $10 a day because a big mac is five cents. That's the nature of currency exchange. I won't say they're not poor, because that's simply not true. But for $10 a day in Bangladesh, you likely own a hovel and can afford three meals a day. In the US you live under an overpass.

Now could you argue that we're in the ultra-elite rich because we can afford healthy, nutritious meals, medical care and a home that won't fall over in a strong wind? Yes. But that has nothing to do with income measured by the global US dollar. You might as well measure wealth by how many goats I own.

To your second argument, yes, I agree that MOST people would not recognize they're in a dystopia. However, if you bother to define dystopia, it can be easily recognized based on those objective criteria. I notice that I have provided several definitions for 'dystopia', you have provided none. How can you say this world is a dystopia when you don't say what a dystopia is? To rehash, and going off Wiki, a dystopia should have one or more of the following conditions:
1) Lack of social mobility
2) Severe restrictions on peoples' lives
3) Strong conformity among citizens
4) Lack of any social group except the State (in SR, this has been replaced by the corporation, but I think that exchange is suitable)
5) Disconnection from the natural world (I feel like SR really fails here, since so much of the US has been reclaimed by nature and nature-loving Native Americans)
6) The State controls the world economy (again, in SR this is the megacorps)

A wide gap between rich and poor is not necessarily dystopian. Not being able to cross that gap is (social mobility). All of your posts about so many people being poor and me being rich are completely irrelevant. There have always been and always will be rich people and poor people. Unless you want to say that the entire universe of human experience is dystopian, and therefore the term 'dystopia' has no useful meaning, bringing rich vs. poor is a waste of time.

In the context of beers, a dystopia is:
A world where the State makes a set number of brands. It tells you which brand you can buy, if you will enjoy it and how you go about drinking it. You MUST drink the given brand in the manner specified and enjoy it to the appropriate level or your beer drinking privileges may be revoked permanently. You may not brew your own beer, nor drink the beer brewed by anyone else. Attempting to do so is treason. State-owned beer is made from all-natural oils and high-tech polymers, which taste about as good as they sound like they should, although they may include an opiate so you won't mind so much. Enjoy your Natty Fed!

Mercer:
The reason the people in Shadowrun don't revolt is because to do so is basically guaranteed suicide. People in the barrens stage a threatening revolt against the corps and they'll get gunned down. People inside the corp try to seriously change things and they'll simply disappear. Shadowrunners are the exception because, by and large, they already are 'dead'. They are ghosts in the machine. You can't prove they exist and generally they don't have any connections. That's why the game orients around them, because they've traded in their lives for the freedom to do something.

Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (nezumi)
In the context of beers, a dystopia is:
A world where the State makes a set number of brands. It tells you which brand you can buy, if you will enjoy it and how you go about drinking it. You MUST drink the given brand in the manner specified and enjoy it to the appropriate level or your beer drinking privileges may be revoked permanently. You may not brew your own beer, nor drink the beer brewed by anyone else. Attempting to do so is treason. State-owned beer is made from all-natural oils and high-tech polymers, which taste about as good as they sound like they should, although they may include an opiate so you won't mind so much. Enjoy your Natty Fed!

...I'll have to include this in my Wisconsin Handbook Manifesto grinbig.gif

QUOTE (Gamble)
It's all about style...

(fixed the tags)
...Yes it is and is why my campaign has a different focus than say for example Wounded Ronin's or mfb's (no disrespect intended).
Mercer
@nezumi: I don't disagree, its just that whether or not SR is a dystopia (depending on how one defines dystopia and if that definition applies to SR), the majority of the people in that world probably wouldn't identify it as such. Pretty much every classic example of a dystopia is a society that purports itself to be utopian. If a true utopia is impossible because people are inherently flawed, they will screw up any society you give them. All the runner-up "perfect" societies are dystopic on the theory you can get pretty close to utopia if you take away hope, choice and freedom. (This reminds me of my personal political axiom, Anarchy is better than no government at all.)

People in SR don't revolt because it would be suicide, but also because the vast majority of them can look around (even in the barrens) and think, "Hey, this ain't so bad." The people in the corporate enclaves can say, "At least we're safe." And the people in the barrens can look around and say, "At least we're free."

----------------------------------------------

@Gamble: As an aside, "Maximum" security prison? I always found that mildly humorous, the maximum/minimum security prison distinction. (Are the other classifications of prisons, btw?) Its like one group of guys got together and said, "All right, we're going to make a prison. And we're going to be really serious about security." And another group got together and said, "All right, our prison is going to be secure. But we're not going to go crazy with it."
Whipstitch
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 27 2007, 08:43 AM)
A wide gap between rich and poor is not necessarily dystopian.  Not being able to cross that gap is (social mobility).  All of your posts about so many people being poor and me being rich are completely irrelevant.  There have always been and always will be rich people and poor people.  Unless you want to say that the entire universe of human experience is dystopian, and therefore the term 'dystopia' has no useful meaning, bringing rich vs. poor is a waste of time.

...What?

Why would humanity living in a dystopia render the term pointless? I mean, in all honesty, it'd be pretty easy to argue that the whole of human existence IS dystopian. It certainly hasn't been utopian, and at the basest level a dystopia essentially a dysfunctional utopia. I mean, even people who believe functionalism to be the dominant social paradigm would acknowledge that human behavior isn't always orderly or predictable, and there's been more than a few conflict theorists who would argue that if the world ISN'T a dystopia, it's not for a lack of effort from the people on top of the social pyramid. I'd argue that the existance of hope is irrelevant to the discussion, however. After all, a hopeful person by definition is someone who looks beyond their immediate surroundings towards greener pastures.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012