Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is Trideo?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Lazarus
Now I may have just missed this somewhere, but what exactly is trideo and how is it different from television today? Is it sort of like a holographic image or what?Any comments or canon page references are welcome. Thanks in adavnce
Luke Hardison
I'm under the impression that the "trid" portion is because the terminal is a television, computer, and telephone all rolled into one.

But I don't remember if that's something canon or something I've just picked up.
Pistons
IIRC, it was talked about in the Sprawl Survival Guide. I can't find my copy, so I can't give you page number. Sorry.
mfb
it is, as i understand, like three-dimensional (three-d, trid, trideo) holographic television. what exactly that means, i couldn't tell you.
Cray74
QUOTE (Lazarus)
Now I may have just missed this somewhere, but what exactly is trideo and how is it different from television today?  Is it sort of like a holographic image or what?Any comments or canon page references are welcome.  Thanks in adavnce

Trideo is "pseudo-3D" TV. It doesn't (normally) project a hologram above the surface of something, but apparently uses a flat panel display like:

These Sharp Displays

I can't quote you page numbers, but I do recall seeing trid described as using 2D panels to fake 3D.
hobgoblin
think of the funny pics you can get at tiems where you have flat images that seems to be stacked one below the other. that how i see the trid to work. os therefor if your looking at a newsfeed you wil see the person up front and the corner image furter back but they will still be flat images.
Cray74
QUOTE (hobgoblin)
think of the funny pics you can get at tiems where you have flat images that seems to be stacked one below the other. that how i see the trid to work. os therefor if your looking at a newsfeed you wil see the person up front and the corner image furter back but they will still be flat images.

No, existing 3D flatscreens are more advanced than that. They can fake, well, 3D images, not layered 2D displays. See my reference to the Sharp 3D LCD.
Tanka
IIRC, wasn't it said that they had yet to create true 3D? I'd assume trideo went along with what LH said. A combination TV, PC, and phone.

I, as always, could be very, very wrong and misguided.
Zazen
QUOTE (Cray74)
No, existing 3D flatscreens are more advanced than that. They can fake, well, 3D images, not layered 2D displays. See my reference to the Sharp 3D LCD.

I'm curious, do you know if this thing works if you tilt your head sideways?
Cray74
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (Cray74 @ Nov 22 2003, 02:13 PM)

I'm curious, do you know if this thing works if you tilt your head sideways?

As I understand, Sharp's 3D flat screens have a "sweet spot" that differs from person to person. Different people will have different spots where the alternating left eye/right eye images are focused. Tilting your head will probably shift the sweet spot.
Shadow
QUOTE (tanka)
IIRC, wasn't it said that they had yet to create true 3D? I'd assume trideo went along with what LH said. A combination TV, PC, and phone.

My understanding based on what I have read in cannon is that it is a TV, DVD, VCR etc, Phone, computer, camera all rolled into one, and it is also holographic in nature.
Zazen
QUOTE (Cray74)
As I understand, Sharp's 3D flat screens have a "sweet spot" that differs from person to person. Different people will have different spots where the alternating left eye/right eye images are focused. Tilting your head will probably shift the sweet spot.

Is it a sweet spot in the room, or a sweet spot on the screen?

This thing seems downright bizarre to me.
John Campbell
I've always figured that trid was a retinal-projection system. It'd shoot a laser into your eye and draw an image directly on your retina. Slightly different pictures for each eye would provide a stereo effect, and it would alter the pictures appropriately as you moved your head. It'd require the trid to be able to track your head and eye movements fairly accurately, but that doesn't seem to be beyond the ability of SR computers. It'd also need a separate set of projectors for each viewer...
Diesel
^^^ That is sweet tech.

I always went for the holographic display thing, like vader and the emporer or r2's displayer.

That is entirely non-canon, btw.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Shadow)
QUOTE (tanka @ Nov 22 2003, 10:15 AM)
IIRC, wasn't it said that they had yet to create true 3D?  I'd assume trideo went along with what LH said.  A combination TV, PC, and phone.

My understanding based on what I have read in cannon is that it is a TV, DVD, VCR etc, Phone, computer, camera all rolled into one, and it is also holographic in nature.

what your talking about is a telecom unit, trid is just part of the whole setup there. check sr3, p. 287.
Solkari
The quote Pistons was talking about is on p. 24 (SSG). It describes trideo as "digital high-definition three-dimensional television".

With that said, I always saw Trideo as moving holograms. You know, those pictures that seem to pop out at you when you hold at the right angle in the light. Except that the way the images are produced using a trid, it takes care of any light problems.

The holographic projection systems that Diesel was talking about have been mentioned in some of the novels, mainly in megacorp boardrooms, but not in any of the sourcebooks I have. Probably because they are still extremely expensive.
Dr Komuso
I can't give page numbers, but I'm 95% sure trideo is called such because it's TV/Computer/Phone all in one (ie: trid). The actual TV, or trid, image is 2D, albiet very very high res, but there are extremely high end models that use true holographic technology. One of the perks of a high lifestyle, I think.
Corywn
QUOTE (Dr Komuso)
I can't give page numbers, but I'm 95% sure trideo is called such because it's TV/Computer/Phone all in one (ie:  trid). 

I'm gonna end this now:
SR3 p.291, both those cameras by Sony are "Trideo Cameras" and I doubt they're cameras that have TV/Computer/Phone abilities...

Anyone remember those old arcade games in the early 90s, had a pseudo-holographic display, see Here.

So SR should definitely be able to create something on that level (reasonably, that could be Trid there.)
mfb
with much, much, much higher resolution, of course.
Dim Sum
I'm a fan of advanced tech and so forth. My SR universe is very much a mix of atmospheres found in Blade Runner, Judge Dredd, Minority Report, etc..

I like the idea of a trid firing images directly onto your retina if you're looking in that direction. One the coolest scenes to me in Minority Report was when the advertisements along the pedestrian tunnel were customised to Tom Cruise's character as the sensors read his identity of his retina and projected images onto it.
Eindrachen
I always imagined that the image worked somthing like looking into a box with flat-planed objects in it. Kinda like a big cardboard box, with flat pieces of cardboard of different shapes in it. It's not actually 3-D, but rather each object is projected independantly of other objects. To the casual observer, it might look similar to a 3-D effect; as you change your point of view in relation to the screen, you might get the illusion that you are seeing more, even though all you're doing is seeing the same thing, but at a slighly altered angle.

Don't know if that made any sense at all, but that's been my take on trideo. Basically, just a gimmicky TV that sounds like something the corps would definitely push on the masses as a way to make money (even if it's no better than a flatvid).
Lilt
LOL. You also have the ultra-low tech version of a trideo; A gnome in a box doing a puppet show.
It is kinda 3D wobble.gif
Corywn
Minority Report has been mentioned a couple times, and I keep meaning to mention:

The movie is actually set in 2054 and was conceptualized by a team of futurists, meaning that a lot of technology in the movie could reasonably be straight (or scaled) ported to SR.

The Precrime Hovercraft? Those are Thunderbirds, definitely.
Trid? It may be that projection system John used, with the optical disks.
If a GM wants one of the weapon devices (such as the sonic-gun-thing), (s)he could come up with something using existing devices (it's a ranged-concussion shot, maybe.)
John's gloves that he uses to edit/manipulate the Precrime recordings would just be simsense-style gloves (detecting hand/finger positioning relative to the "screen.")
Zazen
QUOTE (Corywn)
John's gloves that he uses to edit/manipulate the Precrime recordings would just be simsense-style gloves (detecting hand/finger positioning relative to the "screen.")

No, it's the Nintendo Power Glove! wink.gif
Crimson Jack
I feel like an idiot for asking this, but I've never been able to figure out what IIRC means. question.gif
Ol' Scratch
If I recall correctly, it means "If I Recall Correctly."
Crimson Jack
Hmmm, thanks. smile.gif
Sepherim
I'd always thought it was like one of two posibilities:

-Like the "tv" Tom Cruise uses in Minority Report to view the movies of his family, though with better resolution and more 3D feel.

Or

-Like the holograms used in Star Wars, though, once again, with better resolution and color.
Cheops
What I never understood in Shadowrun is why simsense hasn't replaced regular television for home viewing. SSG mentions simsense entertainment rooms but SR always implies that there are still "TVs." Since it seems that all the megacorps have simsense production subsidiaries and most of them produce simsense gear there should be a vested interest in switching to 100% simsense for home entertainment. This is, of course, assuming that simsense technology is fairly cheap to produce and that consumers of 2061, like me, think that it'd be better to experience all my favorite shows with full sensory immersion (at muted levels).
Stuffed Koala
For what it's worth:
QUOTE (SR3 pg.285)
Most recorders function in the pseudo-holographic format popularly known as trideo, or trid.

However, I would say that the quote from SSG would probably take precedence (I don't have SSG, and I don't know where it fits into the scheme of things).

As for the simsense angle, simrigs (the recording device) are cyberware (relatively expensive, too). So I figure the media corps won't spring for them without a pretty good reason. And who wants simsense news anyway?

"More terrorist bombs were set off in Kerzblakistan today and we're going live to our reporter on the scene. Mind the smell." lick.gif
Nath
QUOTE (Corywn)
If a GM wants one of the weapon devices (such as the sonic-gun-thing), (s)he could come up with something using existing devices (it's a ranged-concussion shot, maybe.)
Corporate Download - page 37
KE has been working hard at developping new non-lethal weaponry, partly in a bid to win the orichalcum left in Dunkelzahn's will to the first company to invent a non-lethal weapon that is affordable and accurate to a hundred meters.

(>) KE already submited one claim: a riot club with a device built-in that can generate a directional sonic blast. The harmonics stunned targets, and caused them to suffer incapacitating nausea and cramping. Nadja Daviar blocked it, claiming its accuracy and range failed to meet the Draco Foundation's requirements. Despite the setback, Knight Errant is still working on the project, and it may eventually become a staple of the Knight Errant arsenal.
(>) Errant Knight
Fu-Man Chu
OOOoooooo, how about that Shark thing in like. . . Jaws 9 from Back to the Future 2? That was a pretty sweet holographic display -- though, proabably more than what trid from SR is. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012