Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Marque and Reprisal IC thread
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Penta
An OOC marker to note Thread start. Nobody post til my next post in a few hours.
Penta
1 January 2071
0530 local time
Miami, Caribbean League

The cries of the seagulls could be heard in the air as the dawn broke on the New Year, as the fishing fleets set out for another few days on the seas.

In various places throughout Miami, an indentical email arrived on comlinks, from an anonymous drop point.

Rise and shine! Rise and shine!

Yeah, I know you'd rather I wasn't so damn pleased about the morning. But in any case, your ship is ready, modified as we discussed. If you would assemble at Pier 32 by 0900 to take control of your vessel, we would appreciate it. You will receive at that point, along with a final muster call and a final tally of the account you have with us, a sealed packet with your initial orders, to be read by all once you are at sea, then destroyed. Yes, it's actually on paper. Quaint of us, eh?

Nonetheless, happy New Year to each of you. May only your sunsets be red.

Regards,
Roberts

(OOC: Wakey wakey!)
Redjack
January 1st, 2071, 0530 EST; Miami, Caribbean League
Johnny Rocket; [LTG, PAN=Hidden, 3] SIN=John Smith

Johnny looked at the ARO for the incoming message as he reviewed the fishing report for the gulf. Ah.... Swordfish is looking good...
Satisfied, he then looks to the message. 0900... 3.5 till then... Paper? Someone is still making that...?

He looks over to his duffel bag of clothes and the box with his roto-drone, thinking about the last time he looked down at a ruck of clothes.....

The salty air was blowing in thick as he walked across the deck. He looked back one final time, now unsure about his decision and took a deep breath. Take care of them girl. Take good care of them.

The steps down the gangway and onto the dock were slow and absentminded. In that moment, he was in fact lost in earlier moments rather than the present. The good times and the bad. The people he had called brothers and sisters for the last year and the one's who were there and infecting the family.

... he thought back to how hard that day was and it made today so much easier. Back to sea, back to where he felt at home. He pulled up the ship specifications and looked them over once again. He provided considerable input on the drone specifications and was anxious to set foot on the decks.

He'd been living good for months, the product of his exploits in the matrix. While this was a comfortable life, it left him restless. He wasn't like many of the other hackers he knew; He dislikes being sedimentary. He likes to get out into the air; To swim in the ocean.

He knew Sam wasn't up yet, but he liked to keep in touch with the old man:

<<@Sam Rollins [Johnny] Casting off today. I'll keep in touch as things progress. Thanks again for hooking me up with this crew. I think this is the change I need.>>

Finally at 0600 he grabbed his gear and headed for the elevator. On the way down he summoned a cab. Stepping into the lobby, he looked across the room at the two swans swimming in the little pool in the lobby. Oh god this place is so decedent! What a perfect choice for my last night before heading to sea....

He paid little attention to the palatial homes and monstrous hotels that lined the beach in this area of Miami. The people that created them, that lived in them.. that maintained the illusion that this is real. As they moved into the dock district, it began to feel real to Johnny. The boats and ships. The dock workers moving about their morning duties. This is what's real....

He spotted the ship in the distance as they approached. He was nearly an hour early, but he was excited to get on board. He put on his best poker face as he paid the cab fare and stepped out. Now to try to look like just another Joe arriving for this little cruise....
WearzManySkins
January 1st, 2071, 0745 EST; Miami, Caribbean League
Gunner Blythe;[LTG, PAN=1] Henry Booddocks

Gunner Blythe looks this AR display and read the message to him.

Damn be good to be back at sea, been too long ashore.

Gunner will look at his duffel bag, it is pretty much packed. At the large locked shipping container, sitting at the foot of his bed in the bunk he has at the Miami Merchant Marine Unions Hostel.

He is looking at the shipping containers. Time once on board to clean and lubricate.

He sends a AR message to the clerk/agent at the desk of the Miami Merchant Marine Unions Hostel.

Check out time for me, mate, I will need you to have a taxi with some cargo capacity in about 15 minutes. He will settle his room bill via the AR link to the front desk.

He will finish packing his gear and go down stairs and set his gear down and wait for the taxi.

Once the taxi arrives he will load his duffel bag and shipping containers into the taxi.

He will send his destination via his AR link.

" Lets get there in a reasonable time there mate."; he will tell the driver of the taxi.

At about 0845 he will arrive at the pier where the ship is berthed.

He will get out pier side and unload his gear for the taxi and pay the driver.

He will then look at the ship.

DireRadiant
Litany

She killed it. With a dramatic spray of virtual blood the ARO message faded out.

With a small unstifled yawn she rolled out of her hammock onto the cool wooden deck. The night air had cooled the surface so it rapidly stole the warmth from her bare feet. Idly she checked the clock in her the upper right quadrant of her vision and calculated the difference to her normal waking hour. Not much. Plenty of time to pack her sea bag with the few possessions she needed for her new job before she took her morning run at the usual time she'd established with her current persona. She traveled light anyway, having enough experiences to learn the only thing she needed to carry with her to survive was her skin. And even then, only enough of that to keep most of her together. Painful memories.

In function it was a standard sea bag, known to most civvies as a duffel, but this one was colored a bright orange and yellow and sporting flowing images of tropical wildlife cavorting aimlessly. She actually had two matching ones, but almost everything she needed was going to fit into the one. With a practiced flip of her head she get her shoulder length sun blonde hair in place and with one hand tied it into a pony tail to keep it out of her way. The bag was half packed already, she only needed to add some of her working tools, then fill it up with any other odds and ends she needed. It would make some of the gear less accessible for now, but if that proved to be a problem, then it probably wouldn't make a difference whether she could get at her hogs quickly.

Cleaning the pair of colts didn't take long, if they had been the normal chrome finish Dresden tended to send her it might have taken a bit more polish, but for all that she actually liked the shiny finish, it wasn't practical for her work. It was a pain, and Dresden really bitched about it, but she always got them in the matte black. She still decorated the handles, it seemed to give her a better grip, though Saucy Steven thought it was pretentious and conceited.

A small cup of hot chocolate, a double spoonful of whipped cream, a short prayer, a 10 k run to work off the extra cream, a quick skinny dip, half an hour of stretching, a quick set of messages to have someone water the plants, and she was ready to go. Sea bag full enough to come close to matching her own 160 plus centimeters and 65 kilos strapped down on the back of her yellow Dodge scooter, she drove off along the coast to her meeting with the crew put together by the Dread Pirate! "Roberts".
BishopMcQ
Franklin

Jerking awake as the commlink alerts him of a new message, he reads the message and collapses back into bed. The alarm would go off at a reasonable hour and he'd wake up then. Franklin rolls back over and finds the warm spot in his mattress.

Two hours later, the alarm sounds and the young doctor gets out of bed. He stumbles into the shower to scrub up. Clean and alert, he begins to lay out clothes for the day. Tshirt, jeans, hiking boots. A henley and light jacket are also laid next to the bag he'd packed last night. The last time he was on a boat was years ago for some reception that his father and his colleagues has hosted.

Eating a light breakfast, he scans headlines in the newsfeed.

Half an hour before the meeting is supposed to happen, he pulls himself to his feet. The duffel over one shoulder and warmer clothes in hand, the doctor sets off for the pier.
Tarantula
Cuda; [LTG, PAN=Passive, 3] SIN=Chris Tyes

Cuda startled awake as his commlink beeped its new message at him. He glanced at the time on the comm and seeing 0530 he rolled back over to fall back asleep. He was well acquainted with the pier having had to bring his Anago over for them to load.

I just hope they didn't have to do anything too drastic to make it so she can launch properly. We've been through a lot together.

Finally rolling out of bed at 0800, Cuda reads the message. SHIT! He hurriedly begins throwing his things together rushing to make sure that he has everything. Who cares if its packed well anyway, I'm just gonna be unpackin it as soon as I get there anyhow.

Once getting his things together, he hails a cab, Take me to pier 32 and step on it please. He arrives at the pier with 2 minutes to spare, at 0858.
DireRadiant
January 1st, 2071, 0850 EST; Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Litany

The electric scooter purred in idle as the diminuitive blonde woman in her tropical spray skin paint scheme top and hemp net skirt perched, more accurately leant back against the bright orange yellow sea bag and coasted to a stop. With some strain she pulled the scooter and it's load onto the support legs and then in a swift reaction snatched at the neck of the 5 liter magnum bottle that almost fell out from between the scooter seat and the forward controls. Carefully she lowered the deep green glass bottle to the ground and let it stand on it's own.

One hand on her hip, she scanned the scene before her. "Heard there'll be a christening today"
Narse
January 1st, 2071, 0700 EST; Miami, Caribbean League
Carlos Rodriguez; [LTG, PAN=Passive, 3] SIN= Jose Sanchez

Carlos stumbles out of bed to 'liberate' the cheap synthol he'd drunk the previous night. On his way back to his mattress he sees the flashing light on his com indicating a new message.
We'll since I'm up anyway, I guess I might as well take care of some biz.
As he scans the message, he reflects on how fortunate it is that all his important possessions fit into one rather large duffel.
Hmm, 2 hours, thats enough time to find that damn spanner that's gone missing and catch a cab.

After finding the missing spanner Carlos catches a cab to the docks, making sure the cabbie is more fond of cred than questions.

I hope none of my new crewmates are 'soft'. Still, though it will be good to be back on the ocean.
He thinks as he approaches the designated location.
Redjack
January 1st, 2071, 0845 EST; Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

Johnny sat on the dock, leaning up against his duffel bag, arm on the drone case. His Hawaiian shirt, Bermuda shorts, sandals and mirrored shades made him look more like a tourist than a crewman but that's just the way he felt. A vacation from civilian life. Back in the corp, but this time we call most of the shots.... and the dress code.

He amused himself while waiting running his fly-spy around the decks of the ship. When the dwarf came strolling up he nods and continues to wait, though he subtly recovers the mini-drone.

As the next tourist arrives he again nods. "That's what they tell me. You the cruise director?" he asks with a coy smile, his tusks extending prominently from his lower jaw.
DireRadiant
Litany

"Why not!" she smiled warmly, then with a wink added sotto vocce, "I know some really wicked games."

Litany took a small step closer to the ork greeting her, "What's next?", she asked indicating the yacht.
Redjack

Hallelujah! Someone with a sense of humor! Johnny chuckles at the reply. The day is definitely looking up.
"Wicked games...? Like Parcheesi? Or perhaps shuffle board?" He looks down the pier to the additional arrivals. Gesturing towards the human man and and second ork, "Looks like the party is about ready to get started."
DireRadiant
January 1st, 2071, 0852 EST; Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Litany

She snorted, shook her head, and with a smile waved to everyone with her right hand, then switched to a round em gesture to the gathered group.

"Anyone know more then we stand here and wait?" Litany asked in a moderately louder voice.
WearzManySkins
January 1st, 2071, 0855 EST; Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Gunner Blythe will watch those arriving or already here.

"Well unless someone has already gotten the "keys" so to speak, or given permission to board, I will wait until one or both of those occur."

He will rub is his close cropped black beard, then his bare upper lip.

Redjack

Johnny stays on the ground resting against his bag. Somebody always has to be all grown up.. So much for being full of fun. Looking at the time in AR, Little more time to loaf. Make the most out of each second....
DireRadiant
Litany

"Anyone taken a look aboard yet?", the woman asked everyone.

and if none of this bunch have thought about just taking this glorified tub out on their own and playing with it they're a sorry lot of pirate material. Lord help me.

After a suppressed giggle, Litany, "So who wants to walk the plank first?"

With that question, she reaches down and grasps the neck of the magnum bottles, and with an effort jerks it up and onto her shoulder to carry as she steps toward the gang plank.
Penta
(OOC: Gknoy...We're moving on.)

At this point, a brief cough can be heard clearly on the otherwise empty (of people) pier, and two men, one in the dress blues (actually a tone of black) of the UCAS Navy, the other wearing the dress whites of the CAS Navy, walk towards the group. The one in the UCAS Dress Blues, a muscular, imposing caucasian human no older than 40, speaks first, his voice sounding like that of the classic hard-charging sub captain.

"Greetings, everyone. I see that this is the crew of the Thundercloud. I am Lieutenant Commander Roberts, UCAS Navy, and this is Lieutenant Commander Butler of the CAS Navy. Welcome to this curiously anachronistic sort of adventure."

After a round of handshakes between all, LCDR Butler, a shorter black guy built like a linebacker (with a datajack prominent on his temple) and of about the same age, speaks up. His voice is sort of like Louis Gossett Jr.'s.

"If you all will follow me, please, I'll lead you to your vessel."

As the group walks down the long pier, past a few ships, the fog reveals a ship so obviously new that it actually gleams in the morning sun.

"May I present to you the MV Thundercloud," Commander Roberts says. "She ain't even a month old, and she's already been modified as we discussed."

"Now, if you'll all wait a second, we'll pull out the gangplank and we can put this vessel into her quiet commission."

Butler taps at his commlink, and the gangplank extends from the vessel, locking with a clunk into the pier.

"If you will all gather with me at the foot of the gangplank," Commander Roberts spoke up.

Once everybody gathered, Commander Butler borrowed Litany's bottle of wine with a smile to her and a quick "Thank you for bringing along the wine, Miss," before Roberts spoke. "In the name of Almighty God, who calms the harshest storms and who protects and guides those who sail the seas, let us pray."

With that, he crossed himself, "In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen."

"Almighty God, we ask that you bless and protect those who are about to man this vessel, that you guide her and her crew through storm and tempest, through the fires of combat and the cold winds of the seas. We ask that you keep their purposes aligned with yours, that the peoples of the nations they are being commissioned to protect may know further the gift of peace. Amen."

Then, looking up. "With that benediction....Commander Butler, if you will do the honors?"

Roberts and Butler exchanged salutes then, before Butler swung the bottle of wine once, twice, three times against the bow of the ship, the bottle breaking and wine spraying against the bow as the bottle fell to the sea.

"I commission this ship the Thundercloud! May God protect her and all who sail aboard her!" He called out.

With that, Roberts and Butler led the group aboard, and to the bridge of the vessel. The gangplank retracted, the railing returned to the upright position and locked into place as normal.

"Commander Butler, being more experienced at sailing ships out of this port, will take us out to open sea, where we will randezvous with the USS Ohio, at which time he and I will disembark. Meanwhile, I will be discussing various matters with you now."

As the ship rumbled to life, Roberts looks over the group.

"First and foremost, ship's articles. Some basic ground rules for this long-term op.

"I've just sent a copy to each of your comlinks."

It's a fairly standard document, of sorts: It documents the schedule of payments that was previously agreed upon, the requirement for secrecy imposed upon the crew, acknowledges that no crewmember will reveal their employer(s), bans the ship from attacking UCAS or CAS flagged ships without orders.

It also includes the following articles:
---
Ban on certain activities - The crew will not engage in the transportation of slaves (as generally understood) of any kind; should a vessel carrying slaves be discovered and attacked, the crew will notify their employers through secure channels to be provided, and act as instructed. Should prisoners be captured in the course of activities, the crew shall treat them humanely in all respects, and shall notify employers as soon as possible, so as to receive further instructions.

Laws and customs of the seas - The crew will respect the laws and customs of the sea, including the duty to aid in the search and rescue of stricken vessels, so long as it is practicable, and does not risk exposure of the ship's mission or pose an undue risk to the vessel.

Prizes and spoils - The crew will be responsible for the disposal of such prizes (in ships or cargo) as they may capture. The distribution of shares (for monetary captures or profits of sales) shall be as follows:

1. Each member of the crew shall receive one share.
2. One share shall be received by the employers, dedicated (until such debt is paid) to the debt currently held by the crew for the initial expenses of the voyage.
3. One share shall be set in account to go towards the common expenses of operations and maintenance of the vessel.

Selection of Commander - One crewmember shall be selected as Commander of the vessel. This person need not be the Master, who shall be nominated by the employers. The method of selection shall be as desired by the crew.

Special circumstances - In the event of an attack upon the UCAS or CAS, the crew agrees to make themselves and their vessel available, upon request, for such duties as may be assigned by Naval authorities of either nation.
---

"Once you all sign it, we can get to the business of choosing a Commander for this vessel," Roberts concludes. "Are there any questions as to the ship's articles presented?"
DireRadiant
January 1st, 2071, 0915 EST; MV Thundercloud, Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Litany

".. in nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti... " she'd murmured as she'd also crossed herself during the christening, otherwise she'd just humped along with everyone else.

doing Marine Ops and can't even tell Dad, not that I've spoken to him since Chicago

Idly she dumped the Articles into storage for later perusal and piped back her affirmative matrix authorization and acceptance codes. Done with her paperwork she smiled encouragingly up at the nice man in uniform, then turned to scan the rest of the crew.
Redjack

Of course they're working together.. As the officers approach, Johnny moves to his feet. He gives each man a firm, professional hand shake as it comes around to his turn.

He listens patiently to them fluff and ceremony, having little use for either in his life at this moment. He is however a professional and understands the value to others. The thing that really gets his attention is all the digits in the statement of debt. Wow. His comlink in his back pocket and connected via a slender fiber optic cable to the datajack at the base of his skull, he uses the DNI connection to accept the file and scroll through the line items.

He sends a reply acceptance and looks around to the rest of the crew. The datajack at the base of his neck and the subtle marks of his gills along side the base of his neck being about the only noticeable augmentations on his body. Six of us... Now where does everyone fall out in terms of augmentation and skill sets? I wonder....

"They look pretty straight forward to me. How will, or did, you choose the commander?"
Penta
"You will all, as a group, choose your commander, as was indicated in the articles. This will occur before myself and Commander Butler disembark. We chose Gunner Blythe as the Master, the person legally responsible for the ship, basically because he appeared at a glance to have the skillset required for the UCAS Coast Guard to issue him the license." Roberts replies.
Tarantula

Cuda stands off to the side, silently watching the christening of the ship. He follows along with everyone else at the back of the group, looking around the ship as they walk. He reads through the paperwork and sends his acceptance back to Roberts. Reaching up and adjusting his hair, tightening the ponytail its in, everyone in the group easily notices that his left forearm has been replaced, the dark metal contrasting harshly with the olive tan of his skin.

"So... how should we do this? Nominations and a vote?"
DireRadiant
January 1st, 2071, 0916 EST; MV Thundercloud, Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Litany

"If no one else is foolish enough to volunteer, I'll admit to being used to the boys coming to attention around me if that counts for anything." as she winks conspiratorially at the man in dress blues.
WearzManySkins

Gunner Blythe will shake the hands of those two Naval officers.

He will follow those two to the foot of the gangplank. He will be at attention while the christening occurs.

He will use his comm link to direct a shore crane operator to pick his shipping containers and place them on the stern deck of the boat.

Once that is done and the containers are secured, he will go forward to the bridge.

Gunner Blythe will watch him take the boat away from the pier and into the harbor.

He will accept the AR message of the ships articles via comm link and review them. Once that is done he will electronically sign them and send a copy back.

He will listen to the words of those that speak afterwards.

"The commander needs to be the one with the best skills to navigate the boat, not someone who has been voted by a popular election.

I would certainly hope that one of you has a better hand at sailing than I do. If not then it will be a most interesting shake down cruise.

As for who is best skilled, once at sea, that can be easily determined.

Since I am the owner's designated Master, if a vote for commander takes place, I will not vote."

He will then reach into a pouch at his side and take a strangely shaped case, he will open it, and take out a Calabash meerschaum pipe whose meerschaum is a deep red in color. He will load the pipe's bowl with a pouch of tobacco taken from the same pouch as the pipe came from. He will walk to downwind and take out lighter and lite the pipe and take a deep draw on it, the exhale downwind.

He will smoke while they make decisions or discussions.

Penta
Roberts listens to everyone quietly for a second. Then, he replies to Blythe's comments, as Butler continues to focus on taking the ship out. "We were thinking that if you selected your own leader, it'd be better than, say, a mutiny doing that, there being no real way to do a skills test that wouldn't draw attention. And, actually, Mr. Blythe, you're off by a bit. The commander doesn't need to be able to -sail- the ship; that's what your helmsman is for. He needs to have a clue about leadership and tactics."

None of you really meet that definition, but one works with the tools they have.

'Which, I grant, none of you is particularly developed in. But that can be worked with."
DireRadiant
January 1st, 2071, ~0920 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Litany

"So which one of you boys have done OCS, or held command before?" Litany asks as she eyes all the men around her.

WearzManySkins
January 1st, 2071, ~0921 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

Gunner Blythe gives a deep rumbling belly laugh at Litany's words about OCS. He blows several smoke rings and finally quites laughing.

He looks at Roberts "Is the Armory secured or unsecured? If it is secured if you would give me the means to unsecure it. I have some gear to stow in there, while the command decision is being made up here."

He waits for an answer to his request, and blows smoke rings with in smoke rings.
Redjack
January 1st, 2071, 0921 EST; MV Thundercloud, Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Johnny Rocket; [LTG, PAN=Passive, 3] SIN=John Smith

Johnny listens to the dialog, the back and forth. "Warrant Officer. No OCS. No Command." No need to discuss being Special Warfare Combatant Crewmen. We're not that need to know.... yet. But it is time to get this going. "Ready to Lead, Ready to Follow, Never Quit... Hu ah..."
Penta
"Currently, it's unsecured. However, I would advise against leaving just yet - Your gear will be safe for now, Mr. Blythe," Roberts replies.

"I'm going to settle Litany's question now. Nobody on this ship except myself and Commander Butler has been through an officer training program or held a command. However, a few of you do have relevant military or naval experience...And, for what it's worth, it's not really a time to follow the old rule of "Never Volunteer".

"Some of you have never been at sea before. Some have. And I have an interest in making this work. So I'm going to give each of you a small hint: Out there, nobody is going to be telling you what needs to happen in order to get things done. You are going to have to pick your own targets within the very limited constraints we will be giving you, you will have to support yourselves by and large, you will have to plan your own attacks, and you will have to be able to survive after you're done. As a group, even when you're at each other's throats, even when you're tired, cold, wet, sleep-deprived, and when you haven't had a payday in weeks. Fail to do those things, and you will be dead very quickly. If there is nobody among you who is willing to step up and lead now, I do not have high hopes that you will live very long when things get difficult then."

Roberts, as he has been speaking, has been pacing, meeting the gaze of each of the privateer-wannabes. He looks seriously unhappy.

"Oh, and before you think of replying to me with how you're a professional: Act like it. Mr. Blythe, maybe you've forgotten something since mustering out of the RBDF, but when you are on a ship, you live together, you eat together, you sleep together, you fight together, you work together. And in a group like this, outside of combat, if you want to get anything done, you make decisions together."
Penta
(OOC: Er, yes. My post should be before Redjack's.)
Narse
January 1st, 2071, ~0921 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Carlos Rodriguez

"Warrant Officer huh? Huh-huh-huh-huh," he laughs deeply. Shit, I made what? Senior member? in Los Ojos Muertos, and I certainly didn't have a leadership positions in Don Marco's outfit either. Thinking back on it we were just a bunch of armatures stumbling around without much direction. I wonder how much training these military types got? More than me, thats for sure. It would be good to have another Ork to calling the shots though... "Thats good enough for me."
Carlos grins in what he thinks is a disarming way, exposing almost the full length of his tusks.
BishopMcQ
Franklin

Having walked up just as the bottle smashed, the good doctor hurries quickly to blend in and make it look like he had been there the entire time. He didn't have any naval experience or a strong desire to be responsible for himself much less others so he stayed quiet.

"I signed on to this shindig to get my sealegs and keep some of you good old boys alive. Beyond the medbay, I don't know how much use I'll be to the rest of you. If the Warrant Officer wants the job, I'd say he just got promoted."

Commander is a promotion right? The trid never really discussed where the ranks fell in, but we call him Mister rather than Captain, I think. Damn, I knew I should have paid more attention to the credits...
Redjack
January 1st, 2071, 0923 EST; MV Thundercloud, Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Johnny "Rocket" Rollins; [LTG, PAN=Passive, 3] SIN=John Smith

Brass rattle, they give speeches... The rest of us lugs do the killing and the dying. Johnny hid his disdain for the upper ranks behind a well practiced poker face. Soon enough we'll be out to sea and away from them.

As Roberts gives his evil eye to each of them and yaps about professionalism, Johnny regrets not focusing on close combat instead of tactical combat coordination and vehicle operations... just for this moment. "No sense in a pissing match, sir. We'll pull together and get the job done."

Gunner had recused himself. His fellow ork and the doc had spoke for him. He'd not come on this trip to be made the one of the brass, but he still believed in the code: Take responsibility for your actions and the actions of your teammates. If I'm gonna do it anyway..... But damn if this won't put a crimp in me being the class clown!

He looks over to the elf and team's sole female member. As he speaks, his Georgia drawl is thick. "If this was an election we'd be arguing about Chad, whoever he was, but its not. We're a team. A small team and if we gonna live through our first engagement we all gotta be 100%. What say ya?"
DireRadiant
January 1st, 2071, ~0923 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Litany

She snapped her heels together and straightened to her full 161 centimeters and snapped a salute at the ork and barked out in her contralto voice, "Officer on deck!"

Litany winked at him.

She pulled her hand out of the salute and pointed her finger at him, thumb cocked, and as she dropped the thumb like a revolver hammer she said brightly, "I got your back Sir!"
Penta
Roberts smiles. "And if I ever give such a canned speech like that again, you can hurt me lightly somehow. Captain Rollins, I stand relieved. Good luck." After shaking Rollins's hand in congratulations, he looks back to the group.

"With that drama done, your orders. First off, you may not attack UCAS or CAS flagged ships. Everybody else is open for your abuse; just use your head. If you want an easy shakedown cruise, I remember hearing that there's an Aztech freighter, the Benito Juarez, carrying supplies of their latest toy for toddlers, "Baby's First Drug Test Kit", out of Shanghai to Montreal - They're supplying for the spring sales season. They transit the Panama Canal today, according to Confederate assets in the region. Remember, you can't, don't need to, and shouldn't steal the whole boat. Just steal enough from their holds to fill yours and go away. The less they remember about you, the better.

"Next up: We mentioned we'd pay you for intel. Well, we're looking for whatever you can gather on the BAA Nahuatl, the lead ship of the Aztlan Navy's newest corvette class. She's supposed to be making a "Goodwill Tour" of the Caribbean, starting in Havana, over the next two weeks. Photos would be good, the more detailed the better. If you can get more than photos, good. We'll pay 2000 nuyen for a full set of photos, an extra five hundred for close-up shots of its props, and a thousand for info on her CO. Your point of contact will be by an encrypted datapoint at" and Roberts gives the data needed to deposit the intel gathered.

"On that note, you'll each find some gifts in your quarters. Tutorsofts. Use your slow time to learn, everybody, it'll help you. These won't count against your account - they weren't acquired through channels.

"With that, I'm done. Now, if anybody needs an extra pair of hands to help stow their gear, I'm available."

"Any questions?"
WearzManySkins
January 1st, 2071, ~0925 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

Gunner Blythe finishes smoking his pipe and taps out the dottle and makes sure he disposes of it correctly. He carefully puts away his pipe back into it's case, and put that back into the pouch.

"Well now that we have our Commander, I will be going about my business, first among that is unpacking some weapons and performing needed inspections and maintenance on same.

After that I will be the ship's weapons, after that any other issues that I may come across."

He then leaves the bridge and heads aft to the shipping containers and takes them down below to where he can work on them, in or near the armory.
Tarantula
January 1st, 2071, ~0925 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

Cuda nods to Johnny, and says, "You'll be a good captain I think. So, Captain, how about handing out the sleeping arrangements, so we can go setup our quarters."
Redjack
January 1st, 2071, 0928 EST; MV Thundercloud, Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Captain Johnny "Rocket" Rollins; [LTG, PAN=Passive, 3] SIN=John Smith

((OOC: I'm gonna post several minutes of dialog in order to move this part along with the assumption that people will reply in between so of the commentary. Not meaning to trample anyones conversation))

Looking to Commander Roberts, "Yes sir. Command codes for the ship, the launches, the drones."

Then to Gunner, "Give me just a few more minutes, Mister Blythe. I like to get everyone in order first." He nods to Gunner then looks to Cuda, "Absolutely, let me assign them by rank and position. Just a few minutes."

Once he receives the codes, Johnny Captain Rollins accesses the personnel files. Of course they're highly incomplete... He scans them and makes some pretty obvious decisions.

"Miss Litany, I think you will serve best as the Chief Officer. You have some coming up to speed to do in so far as naval operations, but your primary role is cargo operations, ship safety and ship security. Given where you've been, you have my confidence in your security responsibilities."

"Mister Cuda. Second Officer. Navigation and midnight watch. We'll have to work out a schedule as to the manning of the bridge."

"Mister Franklin, its obvious that you are the Chief Medical Officer.. If anyone has medical training, speak and be recognized." He looks around, noting any positive responses.

"Mister Rodriguez. Chief Engineer. I think that is pretty self explanatory. Several of us have limited experience in your area. Let us know if and where you need extra hands."

"Mister Blythe. In addition to Ship's Master it appears that Boatswain is fitting as he will be running the armory. That also includes the duty of Master of Arms, though as we are lacking seamen there are no duties around management of a crew."

He then pings each team member's com and uploads a map of the ship, denoting the quarters for each crewman.
Penta
Commander Roberts nods to Captain Rollins. "Aye, Captain."

A beep indicates that the necessary things have been transferred along with crew personnel files, authenitication codes for the next six secure drops, and a free copy of the UCAS Uniform Code of Military Justice, Commanding Officer's Edition.

Soon enough, the Thundercloud has left the Port of Miami and is in open waters, heading up the Florida coast to a position 30 nm East of Port Canaveral - Yes, at the famous Cape. Indeed, as you stop to wait for the ship you're to randezvous with, you notice that you're in the perfect spot to view the launch of an AresSpace rocket carrying the newest DirecTrid satellite, later that evening.

It is currently 2228 EST, 1 January 2071. The weather is clear on this moonless night. The ship's sensors show one contact, approaching at a decent speed; Commander Roberts is on the bridge, and identifies it to the watchstander as USS Ohio, the ship you're to randezvous with.

<USS Ohio to MV Thoundercloud. Good for you to have made it. Permission to heave to for transfer of personnel?>
Narse
January 1st, 2071, 0928 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Carlos

Addressing everyone: "Please, call me Carlos." Addressing the captain & Franklin: " I have a passing familiarity with Cybertechnology theory, so I may be able to assist with procedures involving augmentations." Of course I've never actually worked with 'ware; only read about it, but you take what you can get right?
"I also have some experience maintaining weaponry, so if you need any assistance, Mister Blythe just let me know."
"As for the rest of you I suggest reading up on basic nautical repairs. I don't want to have to be training you after the shit's hit the fan.
"

EDIT: (OOC: I meant my post to come before Penta's, he posted while I was typing)
Penta
(OOC: Feel free to post things occurring during the time in transit, by the way; I just figured I'd set out the next scene while I was at it.smile.gif)
WearzManySkins
January 1st, 2071, 0930 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Gunner Blythe

"Bosun's Mate do not run an armory."

He breaks out all of the shipping containers and performs maintenance on each weapon and make sure it is operating as it should within specs. He places each into the armory and activates the smartgun lock on each. He changes the armories lock with one of his own. He takes the now empty shipping containers and places them into ships storage.

Once that is done, he checks out the boats weapons mounts, switch each to local control, engage the stow pins, and pulls down the weapon, and check to insure it is operational and check to see if when the last maintenance was performed, if it is not recent enough he performs a maintenance check on the weapon. He then disengages the stow pins and takes the mount from local control, and back into remote control.

After all this work, he goes to his rack, and unpacks his gear into the storage underneath the mattress. Places his Abloy Ws129a lock on his rack.

He goes to the galley and sees what he get get to eat.
WearzManySkins
January 1st, 2071, 1030 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

Gunner Blythe finishes eating then goes back aft to the armory and unlocks it.

Once there he will broadcast a message.

<<Crew[Gunner Blythe] All hands not on watch lay to the Armory to check in all weapons, those on watch will be relieved to do so in turn. This is not a request.>>

He pulls up the boats AR display to see the various where abouts of the crew.

He is standing in the doorway to the Armory, waiting for those not on watch to come down there.
Redjack
January 1st, 2071, 0930 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

In response to Carlos, Johnny gives a hearty chuckle. "I will definitely take you up on that."

Turning to Cuda. "Would you do us the honors of taking us out of port?"

As the ship makes underway, Johnny makes his way to the drop storage, transferring his own drone into the specified storage closet. He locks and secures the closet to his ID. He then checks the other two drones, running system diagnostics.

<<@All [Captain Rollins] At some point during the next day everyone come by and see me so that I can check and secure your coms. Thanks.>>

January 1st, 2071, 1030 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

He'd made his way to the bridge when the order came across from Gunner. <<@All [Captain Rollins] Belay that order Mister Blythe. All crew will retain side arms.>>
WearzManySkins
January 1st, 2071, 1035 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

<<@All [Gunner Blythe] Commander Rollins check the message again, I said CHECK IN your weapons, NOT TURN IN your weapons. Any weapons not checked in, the user of such will sign a release absolving the Factors from any liability from damage/deaths caused by such non checked in weapons. Also any unchecked in weapons can not use the Factors supplied facilities, weapons tools, ammunition, and or maintenance supplied/provided by the Factors. If not such release is signed, it will be noted and held for review by such Factors in any events related to that unchecked in weapon. Gunner Blythe Factors Master.<<attached is a release form>>>>

Gunner will chuckles heartily, after he signs off.

He will await a response.

Boy those Seagoing Bell Hops will have a nut over this discussion via the @all comms.
Redjack
January 1st, 2071, 1037 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

Johnny stops and raises an eyebrow before shaking his head. Damn Yankees... In the south 'check in' means to 'turn in'. Bet he thinks '@all' means 'open channel broadcast'..... A release form..? Is he an accountant too?

He makes his way to the armory. When he reaches Gunner he says with a amused grin, "All you had to say was that you wanted them made ready for inspection." He removes the clip and the chambered round then presents his Ares Predator to the armorer.
WearzManySkins
January 1st, 2071, 1038 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League
Gunner Blythe;[LTG, PAN=1] Henry Booddocks[

Gunner Blythe takes Johnny's weapon and points the barrel/muzzle down into the firing bucket, syncs the smartgun link, checks the status, and last time a diagnostic check was performed. He makes a notation into a file on his commlink. He works the action while viewing the weapons status via the smartgun link. He then places the weapon with the slide back in locked position and places it in front of Johnny.

"Any other weapons Commander?"

Gunner waits for any response.
Redjack
January 1st, 2071, 1038 EST; MV Thundercloud, Leaving Pier 32, Miami, Caribbean League

"There is a roto-drone in the drone storage cabinet with a mounted Ingram. Inspect at your leisure." Johnny reloads the weapon, resets the safety and holsters it. "Thanks" is his reply, with a nod, before he heads out to grab some lunch.

<<@Cuda [Captain Rollins] I'll relieve you at 1200 so we can get duty shifts on some sort of schedule.>>
DireRadiant
January 1st, 2071, ~1040 EST; MV Thundercloud, Off Miami, Caribbean League
Litany

She followed and admired the UCAS captains blue clad form as he hefted her sea bag to her quarters, and she smiled brightly at him when she thanked him. She resisted the urge to pat his pert rump as he squeezed by. In response to his polite inquiry she told him she didn't need anything else. Litany needed a moment alone to think. The moment the Captain stepped past her into the hall, she went to work, dumping her entire kit onto the lowered bunk space, and started moving the pre sorted gear into drawers in a blur.

The comm chatter made her drop her underwear all over the floor, she only caught half of it before it hit. getting slow... time to set the agenda, get everyone busy and out of trouble...

Before piping her list to everyone, she reviewed it quickly, then nodding to herself sent it our before making a general announcement and tranmitting assignments

<<@Cuda,Franklin,Gunner,Carlos,Rocket:

Assignments
- Franklin will schedule everyone for a full physical today
- Gunner is performing weapons checks
- Comm gear to the Captain
- I'm interviewing everyone today on the foredeck in the following schedule
- 1100 Carlos
- 1230 Cuda, get someone to cover helm for you Cuda during this time if needed
- 1245 Franklin
- 1300 Gunner
- 1330 Captain

- I'm taking HUMINT operational command
- Those with SIGINT report to the captain for assignment

- I don't know anything about what the boat needs for operational supplies, but most of you do, By 1500 I need a list of supplies required for our operations inventoried and standard operational and supply levels sent to me.

- The captain will perform a general inspection at 1600

- After the inspection is free time unless you are on shift.

- Once our sponsors have gotten off our ship, we are going to take this tub apart and put it back together, by the time they step off, I want your best estimates to me for the tasks involved. Aside from checking the specs, I want us to find all the stuff they didn't tell us about.>>

Over the ships comm she announced, "Welcome to Tropical Tours, Lunch will be served at 1130. If you don't want decanted spam and eggs you'll need to cook something yourselves as we seem to have used our cook as shark bait. That's what happens when you get too chummy with me! On a lighter note we have clear sky and waters for wherever we happen to be drifting at the moment."

She stopped outside the armory and peeked in before handing over her softskin gun bags. Inside are a pair of matte black colts with black pearl handle grips decorated with silver washed crucifixes bearing ivory carvings of Christ. " Don't scratch my hogs."
WearzManySkins

Gunner Blythe nods at the commanders words before he left.

Well a drone installed weapon will have to see if it's in a drone rack or stored. Something for later I am betting.

Gunner seems to ignore Litany's last comment about scratching the pistols, with a bemused smile.

He unzips the soft bags and takes each weapon out singly, inserts the barrels into the shot bucket, clears each and then accesses the weapons via the smartgun link.

He checks the system diagnostics for last time they were serviced. He makes note into a commlink file on the two weapons and the baseline status.

Damn what horrible way to ruin the appearance of set of fine weapons.

He places each back into the soft bags and if Litany is still standing here, hands them to her, if not he places them into a place for such.

He places a tally mark on each of Commander's and Litany's AR files.

He waits for the next crewman.
BishopMcQ

Keying his commlink to begin playing some blues, Franklin set to unpacking his bag. The shotgun gets set to the side and clothes are unfolded before being hung.

Coal Train is cut off as messages transmit across his comm. Some of the messages are transmitted as text others as voice. The young man pulls down the attached file and scans across it. He had just set aside the waiver when his work assignment was issued.

<@Litany [Franklin] Can you repeat some of that in English? Hummus, Sigfried I know, whatever other words you had said aren't English.>

Bag unpacked, Franklin snatches up his Remington and slings it over a shoulder. He makes his way to the armory and registers his side arm.

"Careful now, she's loaded. The safety is the thumb switch there just above the trigger a bit."

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012