Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Greatest Addiction [IC]
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Jeremiah Legacy
Remember: this is the format we're going to be using for IC posts. Thanks to Redjack for designing it. And now, here we go.

- - "Speech color=cyan, optionally enclosed in quotes"
- - <Coms (spoken)Speech color=yellow>
- - <Coms (subvocal) color=violet>
- - <Coms (Text) color=black>
- - Thoughts color=darkkhaki and in italics
- - Memories, flashbacks, dreams color=lightgrey and in italics

Tuesday 20 January 2070 8:13 pm local time
various in Hong Kong

Most stories begin with "It was a dark and stormy night." Well, this one doesn't. It was dark, and it certainly was night, but the storm wasn't there.

Yet.

But it was clear that the storm was coming; the humidity hung in the air, kept in by the clouds. One would argue that between the natural warmth of the cloud cover and the unnatural warmth of the heat refracted by the urban metal and glass, that it was a forewarning of what was to come.

You all receive a voice message sent over your comms.

Scope:

[ Spoiler ]
Scope_47
451 Tseng Lan Street - Jordan Valley, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 20:13

Having finished her evening exercise routine, Scope was just getting out of the shower when the commlink on the sink began to chirp out the tones of O Fortuna - that meant work. She pushed the dripping hair from her ear as she answered the link in the fashion of one of the older cell phones. Just because the rest of the world went Charlie Foxtrot with the wireless craze doesn't mean I have to... Conundrum she answered simply with the code word that said her end was secure. This Opinicus is as paranoid as I am, but he can afford to give in to his paranoia better. I don't care for not knowing much about him, but he's done right by me since I came to Hong Kong - kept me in a variety of work instead of one retiree after another. She listens to his pitch and concisely gives confirmation Lima Charlie, rendevous 2230. Scope disconnects the comm line and sits it down to tie her hair back. Dante's Inferno... I wonder if I'll see any of the Seattle crowd there over the holographic link. Opinicus said it was a foreign interest - so the client could be in London or Seattle just as easily as here en corpus. I've got ample time, so I should get my gear ready just in case the mission is time sensitive.

Scope turns her attention towards getting ready for the upcoming mission and moves to the closet to retrieve her business attire. The apartment was a small affair and rather spartan in all honesty, but it served her purposes well enough - judging by the state of the area, it was one of the nicer places in Jordan Valley's low-budget housing. The blue collar neighborhood made it easy for her to walk about unnoticed even when carrying a large case of gear - nobody even notices just one more contractor heading home with her survey equipment. The apartment itself had a combined living room and kitchen, a small bedroom, and a shower only bathroom, but its poor construction did allow for numerous places to hide things where no-one would think to look. As Scope began buttoning her azure blouse, she could not help but make predictions about the mission Opinicus said the mission parameters were in my area of expertise and would also involve certain of my previous comrades in arms. Most like that means a covert operation - probably an under the wire retrieval. It could be wetwork, but normally a retiree operation requires no more than two boots on the ground. He said friends, plural, so at least three: Myself on point, a CommO to run Matrix interference, and probably a WizRanger to counteract the magical security. Scope finishes putting on her neo-Italian business suit and moves to the small lighted mirror on the table near the bedroom door to apply her makeup. Normal cosmetics can go a long way to prevent positive ID if you do it right... Scope finished quickly and double checked her appearance. The woman looking back from the mirror in thermographic overlaid on normal low-light vision appeared to be just another corporate zombie in a designer suit. The tuxedo-black pant suit was well-cut and appealing; "Consider it a bonus for retiring the mark with elegance" Vinny had said, though Scope was certain that he just wanted to see her wear it. She wasn't good at emotions in any form - always a half second behind laughing at a joke, and failing to understand the big deal people made out of trivial drek like killing a guard who had seen your face. But Vinny was easy to understand, like his 20th century idols, he wore his emotions on his sleeve. I wonder what sort of state Vinny's people are in now that I'm gone... they were still losing territory to the Yakuza when I left... Scope had been careful to hide and enhance her true appearance by the simple application of cosmetics. She could have done so in a manner to make herself completely without identifying features, but she had learned long ago that when a trained eye saw someone with no personal touch to their look, that beholder grew suspicious. The makeup improving her appearance and the simple dolphin pin on her lapel combined with the false personal info on her passive PAN would be ultimately forgettable and they would keep her from looking like she was trying not to stand out.

She turned her head to each side to quickly check her makeup again. Who are you? “Sarah is dead, Jeremiah. I’m all that’s left – a good soldier. Just like you always wanted her to be.� That wasn't me... or was it? Am I the flesh, or the mind? Or are you a spectre of a woman who died years ago, but whose body and memories continue onward? Does it really matter? Descartes said that thought proved existence... I might not be Sarah anymore, but I exist and that is all that matters - perhaps if the Buddhists are right I am simply a few steps closer to nirvanna... reborn in the same form... Scope shakes the thoughts from her head and returns to the living room, pausing at her closet to retrieve her surveyor's kit's aluminum case - the markings on the side said "Sensitive Equipment, Handle with Care, Always Wear a Hard Hat and Reflective Vest."

Once in the living room, she sits the kit down on the old coffee table - really just a peice of scrap nailed to more scrap to make something resembling a table - and opens it to reveal the tripod and surveyor's scope on the top tray. She smiles and removes the top tray, sitting it and the packing foam to the side. The rest of the kit was missing - stuffed unceremoniously in the plumbing crawlspace in the bathroom - leaving ample room for Scope's more nefarious purpose for the bulky case. She stands and moves to the old couch where she pulls off the cushions and pulls the foldout mattress out slightly. Reaching under the mattress, she finds the velcroed hole and retrieves a commlink, armored vest, and a few other bits of gear, placing each carefully in the middle tray of the surveyor's case. Once done, she replaces the cushions on the couch and moves to the kitchen Its incredibly unlikely that Knight Errant or anyone else would have reason to search this place, but old habits die hard... She climbs quickly onto the counter and removes the screws holding the air condition vent in place overhead. Scope lets the airvent cover hand down on its hinge, and she reaches into the ductwork - contorting herself unnaturally to reach far enough to retrieve a black duffel bag. She allows the bag to drop onto the counter in a slump and closes the airvent. She takes the duffel back to the open surveyor's case and begins transfering the gear contents of the duffel, leaving the clothes in the bag. Then she pushes her ratty recliner to the center of the room. It'll be an under the wire mission, so no Mike-Mike when going into the HLZ - and no enemy casualties unless absolutely necessary. Scope stepped up onto the recliner and pulled the plastic cover off of the fluorescent light fixture. It was meant to hold three bulbs, but of course the center one was missing - it had been missing all three when she moved in. Reaching her hand into the gap provided by the missing bulb, Scope found what she was looking for and carefully pulled it free of the recess behind the light fixture - fortunately, the contractors didn't put insulation between the floors of the complex since it was cheaper to just have the whole building on the same climate control and only insulate the outer walls. Plans never survive contact with the enemy. After a moment of careful maneuvering, the silenced sniper rifle comes free from its hiding place. An older model of the Walther MA-2100, it had obviously seen many years of action - stained with countless applications of camouflage and bearing many, many pips in the stock. Scope gazed fondly at the engraving along the barrel 'Thanatos.' Like father said... always have a contingency plan. Scope holds the rifle in her right hand and replaces the light's cover with her left. She deftly hops down from the recliner and kicks it back towards its original position.

Returning to the coffee table, Scope sits down on the couch and smiles as she cleans the barrel of her rifle. Thanatos, the Greek personification of death. It certainly lived up to the name my father gave it... Gun-Dancer smiled as Father Mitchel handed her the silenced walther rifle. "Thank you, Father Mitchel..." she had said. He replied "Of course... it was your father's weapon... it saw him through many dark times, it only seems right for you to have it." Gun-Dancer peeled back the shock-pad slightly with her thumb. The data-chit was indeed in her father's old hiding place. She smiled and thought 'mission accomplished.' Then she looked at the priest and said in her cold, clinical voice "Father... hasn't anyone ever told you..." As she spoke, she fired the rifle point blank into the priest's abdomen "Never hand someone a loaded gun unless you know where she'll point it." The priest fell backwards onto the altar, clutching his wound and staring at Gun-Dancer in disbelief. She stepped forward taunting "No prayer, Father? No blessings for the sinner before you?" as she pressed the rifle's barrel into the elderly Ork's forehead. Scope's smile fades to a mask of stoicism as she whispers to the silent room It never ends does it? "Well babe, that's what we like to call job security," except this time everyone goes home... Scope pulls back the bolt on her rifle, chambering a round.

Scope somberly places the rifle in the bottom of the case, covers it with the two foam padded trays, and seals the kit. She moves the case and duffel under the kitchen counter along with a white hard hat - where she can get to them easily on her return, but they aren't out in the open. She opens a kitchen drawer and retreives her Hammerli 620s and two spare clips - placing them in the suit's built-in holster. Light and legitimate - just another corper. After one last look around, she turns the trideo on to a movie channel - giving the illusion of somebody at home, grabs her zippo and cigar case, and puts on her earbuds and AR glasses. She slots a datachit into her comm and answers affirmatively when it asks her if she really wants to restore the backup and lose all saved files. With that, she leaves the apartment - double checking that the door had actually locked - she'd rebuilt the aging maglock not long after moving in, but one could never be too careful. Checking her chronometer, Ariel Angel felt she had just enough time to make it to Dante's Inferno a little early.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Meriss
7004 Zhu Avenue, Tuesday 20 January 2070 8:13 PM Local Time

The exterior facade of the building wasn't much. A rundown old warehouse, sitting somewhere in the middle of a rundown old neighbourhood. But if you looked closer, there were lights inside the beatup old structure. One light on the second floor behind dirty old windows. One sparking flickering light source on the first.

Inside there is a medium sized workshop floor. A bare bulb hangs from the vast ceiling, a small figure in a dark blue oil stained coverall. The girl handles the welding torch with a surety born of experience, as she attaches one more part to the medium sized step van. There was a small happy grin on her face as she worked.

The noise of the torch drowned out the first few rings of the small commlink sitting on the toolchest beside her. Finally the commlink sounded a small scale version of a fire alarm.

The girl cuts of the flow of fuel to the torch, and picks up the link. She reads the message and whoops joyfully in the cavernous space.

She secures the torch, and heads upstairs. She checks on the sleeping male form occuping the bed. That poor man puts himself through so much grief. "Hun-bun, you want to come with?" The sleeping form grunts incoherently. I guess not

The girl takes a brief shower, then proceeds to dress in a sensible black buissness skirt and blazer. The hot pink blouse, is a dead giveaway, but she could never resist a bit of color.

She kisses the sleeping man gently on the cheek. She tucks a small flyspy drone in her handbag and on a thought grabs her iBall. She places a Fichetti pistol into the concealed holster under the blazer.

She lowers the stepvan off the lift jack and starts up the vehicle with a flouish. Watch out Errant boys, Mandy's on the job again!
Redjack
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - Morning Hours; Kowloon City, Hong Kong

An Shui awoke to the rising sun and headed out into the crowded streets of Kowloon City. Despite the hour of the morning, the streets were already bustling with the early risers. He moved through the crowd, careful of pick pockets, taking in the ebb and the flow of the human condition.

Therefore, one who is skilled in warfare principles subdues the enemy without doing battle, takes the enemy's walled city without attacking, and overthrows the enemy quickly, without protracted warfare. He reflected on the lesson from the Art of War for today. This was a summation to a number of entries focusing on winning a battle by not fighting it. Much like moving through the thickening crowd; Learning the flow of the moving people and working with it to get to his destination.

Breakfast was a bowl of noodles with tofu. He ate them at a busy noodle shop continuing to watch the people move through. To understand the extreme measures people are willing to go to you must do more than study the streets, the gangs, the law. You must understand their live, their motivations, their pain.

The Lady's voice flows into his head like a stream over well worn rocks. She never yelled, never forced her will. No, she was far more devious. She flowed through his dreams at night and his idle moments in the day. If he pushed her away too hard, she would would stubbornly be silent when he sought to increase his knowledge of magic. She is integral to his magic... and truth be told, she has saved him in the past with her teachings. I am living in Kowloon City. I am working on jobs that test my skills and place me in harms way. What more would you have of me?

He still felt her presence, like wet feet when you step in that stream. You have not yet been really tested, but a storm builds at sea for you. Immerse yourself in it and you will grow from it.

More riddles? Are saying get a raincoat? Hello? and like a wet weather stream, the ebb of her presence dried up.

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 8:13pm; Kowloon City, Hong Kong

Opinicus? Hmmmm.. as with any good shadowrunner, his paranoia kicks in, but a quick call to Pin Wan clears the fixer as a legitimate street contact. He selects a clean, simple, conservative black suit in a traditional Chinese cut. Despite being half anglo and speaking American English with a native tongue, he had fought hard to leave that behind him. He had embraced the eastern culture, language and appearance.

Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:15pm; Dante's Inferno, Hong Kong

The trip to Dante's Inferno consisted of countless bus changes and one pair of thugs who thought An Shui's suit was purty as well as some rude comments about his mouth. Before heading out into the night, he had locked his reflexes spell. Before the pair were aware of what hit them, a forked stun bolt ended their thoughts of assaulting the finely dressed ork.

He found that he was on the list with the doorman. Well, this will be different. Stepping onto the clear floor, he felt weird looking down and seeing nine floors below. The throbbing music seemed to make the floors vibrate. The throngs of people gyrated, some to the music and others to the beat of their own drum.

As he made his way through the crowds and worked on descending to the fifth floor and his meeting he thought to himself, Do they have storms in hell?
Mister Juan
A small cramped up apartement - Mong Kok, Yau Tsim Mong- Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 20:09

Christophe sat, his back against the wall,on the thin and flimsy mattress. He had actually never even bought the thing... it had came with the place. What he did get was a disinfecting spray with which to soak the thing before even touching it. Like he was about to lug a god damn mattress through the narrow and crowded streets of Mong Kok. He could already barely himself in the staircase.

Twirling his chopsticks around a few times, chewing unceremoniously at his container of cold noodles, the young hacker looked up from his food and a few feet off. Wearing nothing but her long purple hair and a pair of his own boxer shorts, Pixie was busy munching down on her own food. By the looks of it, she must have been real fragging hungry. Contrary to Christophe himself, who was almost as mercenary as a human being could be, Pixie had what one could consider good and honest value. Sure, she was a thief and a hoodlum like him... but she had a cause. An anti-corp activist, she always had something to do in Hong-Kong... but her gigs rarely got food in her plate... And that was probably one of the reason why she'd knocked on Christophe's door tonight. Sure, he was charming in his own way, and she probably liked him, but odds were hunger was also a big drive tonight.

Chuckling to himself, the young blue haired hacker went back to his food. He felt her look up from her noodles.

“Humrph?� was all he got from her full mouth.

He simply shook his head from side to side.

“Nothing Pixs.� he continued with a smirk.

The small cramped room around them changed from a dark red glow to some off shade of green as the neons outside switch their never ending publicity messages. The good thing about living in Mong Kok was the fact that Christophe didn't have to buy light bulbs.... there were always some new flashy device bolted up to some impossible to find free spot. From the cracked window, he could hear the street bustling with activity, as people shouted in a dozen different dialects.

He looked up once more from his food toward Pixie. He wasn't quite sure how old she was, but the way she talked about, well.... about anything, had always made him think she was a little older than him. But then again, it was hard to tell with Asian chicks. His eyes had started to glide along her soft legs when a soft humming only he could hear started to grow in the back of his head.

God fragging damnint. I'm busy....

With a mental sigh, he clicked open the comm link. A tiny window rezed in from thin air, scrolling Opinicus' message while his voiced sounded off in his ears.

Work. Work was a good thing. Running scams with Kun wasn't quite paying the bill, and Pixie was starting to lose weight... that and Christophe's own stash of nova was getting pretty damn thin. Just the thought of it made his mouth dry and hands ache. Odds were, he'd be able to score some at Dante's... and if he got there early enough, he might even be able to get his fix before the meet.

He rose up, discarding the plastic container in the small chute that led to the building's incinerator. Pixie must have noticed something because he cute face started to frown.

“Something wrong?� she started in her broken english.

Christophe gave her his most stylist smirk.

“Nothing's wrong babe� he replied in her own Chinese “I just think tonight's a good shiny night to get some partying going�

That made her frown even more.

“I know you... you've cooked up some scam again... You're going to get in trouble sooner or later Gabe.�

The young hacker laughed straight out as he pull a pair of blue baggy pants that matched his hair.

“Trust me Pixs, I've got nothing but good intentions tonight. Put some clothes on and get your cute butt downstairs; I'm taking you to Dante's tonight. We're going to have a blast!�

As she went back to her noodles, Christophe could feel he was starting to loose her. He known her almost ever since he had started to hide out in Hong-Kong, and no matter how good he was at playing people, she was starting to be able to read him as well as he could read her. He crossed the tiny bedroom to where she was sitting, crouching down in front of her. He brushed some of her purple hair away from her face, holding her cheek with his hand.

“Come on Pixs, it's going to be fun. You need to unwind a little from time to time.�

He gave her a gentle kiss.

“I swear, this is going to be just you me and the nightlife. We'll have fun. Burn some cred. Vent out.�

She looked up in his eyes, bitting her lower lip as she hesitated for a few seconds... which was the very moment Christophe pulled out his soft charming smile that always made her crack. He knew very well when and how to use it; a useful tool that could turn almost any situation in his favor.

A few minutes later, they were dodging the local populace along the busy streets, weaving in and out as they made their way toward the local public transportation hub.
pragma
A cramped dive in Kwun Tong - Tue, Jan 20, 20:12

Even after nine years of living in Hong Kong, John occasionally felt a strking homesickness. A longing for beer and football and barbeque that, no matter how hard it tried, Hong Kong couldn't seem to fill. The best he found was in some of the dives on the outskirts of Kwun Tong, 'exotic' locales that tried to capture the UCAS way of life for the blue collar, Hong-Kong natives who still liked the idea of the American dream.

Sitting alone in "The American Buck" he nursed a beer while idly monitoring an urban brawl match that had made it onto the bar's AR projection screen. He scratched his graying hair, rubbed a bit of smoggy grime off a tusk and fiddled with his earbuds to pick up snippets of downtrodden anti-corporate bitching.

He was glad the regulars were minding their own business, he didn't feel much like talking anyone down tonight. He relaxed into his chair further as an urgent icon started blinking in the upper left corner of his vision.

It meant work, it meant dealing with the weather and it meant leaving his imported American beer and the game behind. On the upside it also meant he'd make rent this month. He punched the screen open.

A sylized chinese tiger said <<"Hey Goat, there's some work brewing. An out of towner asked me to refer this to someone and I naturally thought of you ...>>. Though John liked the fixer, Tiger had a manner of speech which had the potential to aggravate John to almost no end. Flattery will get you everywhere ...

He listened to the offer, checked that his pistol and taser were both still with him, and set out to find the fastest way to bounce from his dilapidated flat to Downtown. It would be a long walk under intimidating weather if he didn't find a cab, and showing up to The Inferno looking less than professional was a sin that John refused to contemplate.
Toras
A cheap apartment in Kowloon City, Hong Kong [Metahuman Slums] - Tue, Jan 20, 20:12.

Ducking under the fist of a rather imposing looking troll, One Punch grabs his wrist and throws him over his shoulder. As his student lands hard on the mat, he looks over at the rest of the class who are watching the demonstration. Ork gangers, rougher looking Trolls, and various other tough looking people in Gi's.

"Now do you see how he over extended with his fist? He left himself entirely on his right side and he was not stable. Now I want to pair up and practice that throw."

It was at about that point when he got the message on his comm. As his students starting their exercises as he checks the message. This is interesting.

Once the class had finished, he made his way towards his apartment. As he walks through the rough section of the city to his apartment. He got changed into a nicer set of clothing and started to walking towards Dante Inferno, he'd catch the metro.
Scope_47
Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2216
SIN: Ariel Angel; User Name: Angel Eyes, Occupation: Security Consultant, Thought of the Day: Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance, Personal: Not interested right now

Whether it was because of a coincidental lack of thuggery, luck, or something about the manner in which she carried herself, Scope arrived at the club via public transport with no untoward encounters. She'd let her straight raven hair down once it had finished drying, and it fell to her shoulders. Her eyes appeared to be a natural baby blue complimented by her azure blouse. The italian cut of her suit would have looked out of place on a native, but it flattered her figure and ameri-european features, and her sensible closed toe shoes had only a small heel so as to not interfere should she need to move quickly or otherwise run into trouble. The ensemble was completed by her black leatheresque gloves - a functional fashion statement in her line of work.

The Inferno was on Splendid Dragon path - its entrance five floors above street level. Scope's mapsoft let her find it without incident, but she couldn't help but feel a not quite deja vu - the Inferno in Seattle had been a frequent haunt of hers, and this one was just similar enough for the differences to be disconcerting. After a quick escalator trip up, she walked past the line of those seeking entrance without being on a reservation list and approached the doorman. She looked him over a moment, the back of her mind assessing possible threats, ware, and hidden weapons even as she spoke in a cold, concise nearly clinical manner Ariel Angel. Hopefully he's bored or unobservant - if not I'll slip him a bit of cred. Not that it matters much since I have a license - worst case scenario I check it at the door just like any other legitimate patron, but its best not to draw attention if it can be avoided.
Toras
A cheap apartment in Kowloon City, Hong Kong [Metahuman Slums] - Tue, Jan 20, 20:32.

Given the extra time, One Punch had indulged in a bit of Parkour on his way through the sprawling Kowloon City district. Running across rooftops and through cheap parking garages as he made his way towards his destination. He hadn't been there often, but he took a moment to look at the location on his comm while he made his way there.

Sure he could have taken a metro or a cab, but those cost money and never fit right anyway. Besides, it would be good to get the exercise.

Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2217

Sliding down a fire escape across the street from the club, he took a moment to collect himself and make sure that he had everything he needed. Dressed in a simple black garment, designed to allow full freedom of movement. He had a matching armored jacket that he wore when he was out. He thought it was nice, but who knows what doorman would think. There were a pair of thick black leather gloves, whose function were more protective than fashion forward. He had left his archery stuff locked in his closet. He figured they'd make him check it anyway.

Moving forward, he approached the doorman. It wasn't rare that he didn't have to wait in the line, but typically when his Manager was taking him out after a fight. He started to look around for anything that might cause problems, but he found that trouble usually came in large groups around him.

Jeremiah Legacy
Dante's Inferno, whenever the characters arrive

One thing that can't be argued is that this place is popular; there is a line of people waiting to get in. Fortunately for you, you are expected here, or else you'd have to join the unwashed masses (some more unwashed than others) out here in the humid night.

At the door is a typical bouncer; big, bad, mean looking. It's not so unusual to see cybered 6'10 guys with a look in their eyes that says "please give me an excuse." What is somwehat unusual is that he is a human. No troll or orc features, except for massive muscles. While this may make him seem less intimidating, it runs through your mind that he must have beaten out many trolls for this job.

Scope
[ Spoiler ]

Mandy
[ Spoiler ]

Goat
[ Spoiler ]

Everyone else
[ Spoiler ]

(assuming nobody does anything stupid)
One thing to be said for the Inferno; it's packed. Definitely one of Seattle's more popular imports. Also one of the loudest. Lots of music, and racket claiming to be music, but most of all, bodies and the smell of alcohol. Over by the stairs, there's a couple making out next to the wall; an elf man, about 35 and long blonde hair, and a troll red-head girl, maybe 15 (though taller than him) with a low cut blouse showing that her breasts are no doubt bigger than his head. Two things are apparent; 1) they would make some really creepy-looking children, and 2) the only place for you is down to the Cold level.
Scope_47
Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2217
SIN: Ariel Angel; User Name: Angel Eyes, Occupation: Security Consultant, Thought of the Day: Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance, Personal: Not interested right now

The doorman took a moment longer than Scope would have liked before letting her in, and during that brief pause she cognitively prepared to drop into a fighting stance should trouble erupt. Fortunately, trouble didn't erupt - though the doorman's smile as he stepped aside wasn't entirely convincing. Is that disdain or just the false enthusiasm of a bored employee in his voice? Or is it attraction? Affection? Its so hard to tell anymore and even a simple miscalculation can lead to deadly consequences... Scope didn't know how to react to the wild look in the Ork's eyes as he went for his knife with his unbroken hand, trapped between her and the wall - was it the fear of one ready to surrender if given the chance or was it the rage of one ready for vengeance whatever the cost? No time... as his fumbling hand managed to release the catch on the knife's sheath, Scope had already fired her silenced pistol. She could not help but wonder if it was a wasted life, but as the ork's jugular erupted in a gout of blood, his friends were going for their own weapons. No time to think - best I be wary of him in the future just in case.

As Scope stepped inside the Inferno, all around her she saw the club-goers dancing in a an evergrowing cascade of movement - their heat coalescing into the ambiance of the chamber as they moved about in chaotic fashion to the sound of the intense music reverberating through the walls and floor. It is places like this where the proletariat goes in search of some form of escapism - casting off the shackles of millenia of social conditioning to become again the wild, free creatures they were before the conception of culture, morals, and society. What is it about the human condition that rejects order and revels in entropy? Scope paused only a moment as she watched the patrons of the club - her subconscious mind already picking out implants and weaponry to coalate threat levels even as she thought Fitting that places like this are used by the invisible world underneath society's facade of order to set in motion the events that shape the lives of these people - our Puck to their revellers as in Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream. Or our butcher to their cattle as so many would have it be. Scope made her way to the stairs to begin the trek to the fifth level, keeping an eye out for a map in case Opinicus was incorrect as to which level was the 'Cold level.' Where is Virgil when one needs him I wonder? She picked a direct path through the crowd without becoming a part of it - moving with a predatory grace more similar to a great cat than a human. Somehow this place held no awe for her in spite of all the glitz and glamour of the technological marvel it was - it was just like any other place, but it was the people that gave it meaning. Scope regarded the abnormal couple made up by an elf and troll How far are they to social enlightenment, to realizing their place in the structure of the world? In a way, one could envy them - their blind acceptance of what is apparent in leiu of searching for true understanding. The system takes their humanity, and in return they support the system in an attempt to buy it back - surrounding themselves with the trappings of materialism while always knowing themselves to be lacking something and assuming it to be the next greatest product - or in another being also enslaved to the system. Perhaps it is better that way than to actually realize that you lack your very self as you tread a city without a soul...

Once she reached the Cold level, Scope pushed the philosophy from her mind. You've got a job to do soldier, and it isn't to answer Shakespeare's famous question.
Meriss
Dante's Inferno, 9:15PM Local time
SIN: Sally Chen; User Name: Ms. Pink, Occupation: Freelance Delivery Consultant, Thought of the Day: Drive It Like You Mean It, Personal: My eyes are up here big fella

Mandy shrugs and checks her weapon at the counter "A girl needs something out there."

She passes the intimate couple and smiles as she decends into the Cold Level.

Arriving on the Cold Level she looks around for the bar, and the fixer.
Toras
Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2219
One Punch [LTG, PAN = 0, Hidden]

One-Punch paused for a moment as they scanned him for weapons. He was a weapon but they could hardly remove that one. He felt the bouncer's glare more than saw it, if only because of the roughly two foot height difference. It was difficult not to burst into laughter at the presumption.

Making his way into the club, he saw the couple towards the end of the bar. There was something both amusing and heartwarming about that scene. A moment of loving being blind or perhaps simply calidescopic, or a victory for civil rights? It was wasn't his place to ask.

So he made his way down to Cold Level and started to look around.
pragma
Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2225
SIN: [personal information is not being broadcast]

John stepped out of the cab with a purpose and walked calmly past the line.

The bouncer eyed him for a moment and Goat was worried that his business casual attire didn't past muster. He still didn't feel like selling anything. His worries were relieved when the bouncer said: Welcome to Dante's Inferno. I'm afraid you'll have to leave that at the check counter. But don't worry; if any of the women are too aggressive, just come and get me. I'll be glad to take one of them off your hands for you.

"Thanks man, I appreciate the assist."

Dropping the weapon at the check counter he immediately filtered down the club's music and proceeded downstairs.
Redjack
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:25pm; Dante's Inferno, Hong Kong
An Shui [LTG; PAN=0,Hidden]

An Shui moved through the crowd, down level after level, till he reached the fifth. He took his time, idly observing the spectacles he passed. Yes, I know. A warrior must keep himself free of vices to be pure for the battle.... He didn't feel her presence, but it didn't stop him from talking to her out of reflex.

He had not been on the cold level long when he saw one of his few acquaintances. Surely this is not coincidence, but rather fate intervening.

"One-Punch, I did not think that this was your type of scene?"
Toras
One Punch[LTG; PAN=0,Hidden]

One-Punch having arrived on the fifth floor a few moments before, noticed his friend approach. He was a welcome sight. One-punch wondered if he was here for the same reason.

"Not really. This is more a networking sort of thing. "
Jeremiah Legacy

As you descended down the floors, you could definitely see the variety between the floors, Getting to the Cold level, you find yourself in a contradiction. The AR tells you it's an icy place; icicles on the ceiling, frost coming out every time someone breathes, and even a couple AR penguins walking around. Yet the heating is normal and the music is ... different. Not just different from the other floors, as this club tends to do on every floor; different from what is normally heard. Unrefined and a lot of yelling, and something about how he likes rocks and rolls. Not as many people are on this floor, but the people here are dancing in a frenzy to make up for it.

Anyone who tries to find out about the music will discover this on the AR
[ Spoiler ]

Along the walls, there are tables for meeting and eating - perhaps business as well. A couple have five or so people, a couple are empty, and one has just a couple people there. Probably the one you want; the people are clearly not from around here.
Redjack
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:25pm; Cold Level, Dante's Inferno, Hong Kong

Looking around the room, An Shui walks with One-Punch. "It appears we are in the same circle yet again my friend."

Looking to the table, "Excuse me. Is this the Johnson party?"
Jeremiah Legacy
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:25pm; Dante's Inferno, Cold Level

Excuse me. Is this the Johnson party?

The two men look at you for a moment. Both seem to be hispanic, maybe amerindian, brown hair, white shirt, black slacks, definitely all business. The slightly larger man seems to be staring at you a moment before nodding to the other man.

The other man smiles and says in what is clearly an accented voice, Yes, I am Mr. Johnson. Please, have a seat. I'm sure your friends will be along shortly and we can get to business.

He then pauses. Of course, you are a little early, but that's OK. It shows that you two are about business.
Redjack

An Shui looks then men over for a mere moment before giving a small bow. With a serious look he recites one of the proverbs that had been drilled into his brain. "Sifu always says that it is better to be an hour early than a moment late." Being One-Punch's senior, An Shui takes a seat first then gestures for his friend sit - insuring that that sits next to chair that will accommodate the troll. "I am called An Shui and my large friend is called One-Punch."
Toras
One-Punch[LTG; PAN=0,Hidden]

One Punch nods politely and slowly sits down. You can only fall on your ass so many times before you learn to be careful with chairs. That and they tend to look unkindly on property damage at places like this.

He was glad that An Shui was here. There was nothing worse than trying to run with someone you have never heard of and have no reason to trust. He would likely say little. Few people expect a troll to have brains at all, so their reaction would tell him much about who they would be working for.

Scope_47
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2225
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

Scope always liked to arrive at a meet early in order to have a look around beforehand - it never took long and it rarely mattered, but it was in her nature. Is it really my nature though - or merely the habit conditioned into me? She had been there several moments observing the area when she noticed One Punch and An Shui move to join a table. Several other acquaintances were floating about the room as well Must be a larger team than I thought - two meets in the same floor of the same club would just strain credibility. She prepared her commlink for the meet - no worries now about Knight Errant stopping a Hermit for questioning. Knight Errant procedure makes sense though - normally anyone just walking down the street has no reason to be in hidden mode unless they are up to something. Those in clubs on the other hand have a plethora of justifiable reasons. From across the room, she watched the table where An Shui and One-Punch had moved to for a few more minutes.

Once her chronometer read 2228, She moved fluidly through the crowd to the table where the two runners had just joined the Hispanic duo. The Johnson party I presume? Her voice, as nearly always, is coolly enunciated, but the corner of her lips twitched into a half smile a split-second after speaking. These two might not be real soldiers, but they are disciplined - and in our business that matters more than training.
Meriss
Dante's Inferno, 10:30PM
PAN=Hidden

Mandy always liked to arrive a little early to get herself in the mood to meet people. Driving was mostly a solitary pursuit for her, unless she could drag Rama away from his studies long enough for some fun. She smiled lazily at the fond memories.

She sipped her fruit drink thoughtfully as the one table started to fill. An-Shui was something of a legend in the right circles. And One Punch meant that Johnson thought there would be trouble, big trouble. The exotic gwei lo was not a newbie from the way she carried herself. Hmmmmm. Oh what do I care? I'm the driver, it's what I do.

She sauntered over to the small table, "%Ni how, friends% Mr. Johnson I guess?" While her Cantonese denotes a native speaker, her English is fairly accented.

She waits for the response and seats herself beside the other woman.
Toras
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:30pm; Cold Level, Dante's Inferno, Hong Kong
One-Punch[LTG; PAN=0,Hidden]

And then there were four, and by the look of it we are expecting a couple more. One Punch thought he had spotted a few more people he recognized filtering through the crowd. With the circles he runs in, unless someone's working already that means they are here for the meeting.

He knew Scope by reputation only, and what he had heard was a whole mess of not much. That sort of silence and quiet approval spoke volumes. If she was here, things were going dark.

Mandy he'd met once or twice before. If there was anyone better behind the wheel, he hadn't met them. Having her here meant this was going to be a high mobility hit. Probably a raid or mobile heist. The team so far was perfect for hitting your average small warehouse or armored car.

The remainder of the team would fill out the picture.
Mister Juan

Christophe wasn't even quite around the corner, and he could already feel the rush of the club reaching him. It was probably all in his head, but nevertheless, he liked to think that it was the air around him that made him feel this way. Part of him was glad to be out and about in such a night. Sure, it was a bit cloudy, rainy and grimy. But he didn't mind at all. It was a night that would be filled with opportunities, new things to see and to sample. The other part felt a tad guilty that he had dragged Pixie along with him for no real good reason. He had lied to her for no real good reason. Fact was, Christophe did get off a little on lying and getting away with it clean. He also knew that odds were, the cash he was going to burn in a few days would be from a corporate sponsor.... something the young Chinese hacker wouldn't approve of at all.

Getting through the door was a cakewalk. Christophe had been at Dante's enough time to know how to talk the talk and walk the walk. Clubs and trendy nightspots were his things. He knew them through and through, and could play them like a prodigy. Or at least, thats what he believed. Baggy dark blue pants, a bright orange t-shirt covered with holo decals from a popular HK punk band, a pair of matching orange tinted sunglasses, and his good old trademark electric blue hair. Christophe was a young man who was very hard to miss. With a playful wink at the bouncer, he pulled Pixie inside the club without missing a beat, feeling the rush of the place take him in.

The people. The lights. The feelings. He just loved it.

With a grin almost too big for his face, Christophe pulled the small purple haired girl unto the floor. As he wrapped his two arms around her waist, she cracked a small at him, finally letting go and enjoying the moment.

In a world only he could see, Christophe checked the running time in the bottom corner of his field of vision. He still had a bit of time before the meet, which was good, because he just loved the song that was coming on. For the next moments, the young hacker forgot about everything. The job. The meet. His team. His home. He simply lived for the immediate rush of the moment.

After quite a few minutes of dancing, Christophe pulled Pixie off the dance floor and to an empty spot close to one of the bars, and ordered some shooters. With nothing but a smile and a flirtatious wink, he handed one to Pixie. Downing the drink in one swift motion, he picked up something over Pixie's shoulder: One-Punch had just walked in, and headed down toward Cold level.

It was time to get the ball rolling.

Christophe leaned forward, getting his mouth next to Pixie's ear so he wouldn't have to shout.

“I think I just saw a friend of mine, I'm just going to go say hi. I'll be right back babe.�

Pixie was about to say something, but Christophe gave her a long kiss, waving down the bartender at the same time. He handed him a few HK$ notes, saying “Lady's drinks are on me�.

When he left Pixie at the bar, she was too puzzled to say anything.

Christophe finally reached Cold level, and not one moment too late. It didn't take him very long to spot Mandy... and to recognize the rest of the rabble. Sure hell; this was the right place. In the most casual and relaxed manner, as if he owned the place, the young hacker strode to the table. By the looks of things, the J's were definitely out of towners. He gave everyone his usual happy grin and respectful nod to the two men.

“I'll take a wild guess and call one of you two Johnson.� he started, pulling himself a seat.
Redjack

As Christophe pulled up a seat, An Shui nodded a slight bow. Looking around the table, Hacker, rigger and muscle. It seems all the basic bases are covered. The hacker, rigger and sniper were all known to him. Solid reps all around.

He looked back at Johnson. Seems the next move belongs to our host.
pragma
PAN: 0, Hidden

Navigating the Inferno was not harrowing, but was frustrating. As an ork who had danced precious few times in his life, Goat never had really figured out the fastest way to navigate dance floors. After bulldozing through five floors of revelers he checked the ghostly clock floating in the upper right of his vision and muffled a curse. He'd have to get his bearings fast.

Thankfully he saw Dancer at a table with a crew of the usual suspects and an out of towner. If Dancer, no ... if Scope, was still the same expert she used to be, this would probably go well.

He sized up the rest of the team as he barged across the dance floor: An Shui and One-Punch had some politics that Goat couldn't get behind, not after what 9x9 had done to him, but they had some street cred. Mandy and Gabriel both did their jobs well but had a sort of flashiness which very much wasn't Goat's style. But you've got to respect people who can put their money where their mouth is, no matter how big the mouth.

He plowed through the last couple on the dance floor just after the rest of the runners had taken a seat. He flashed a small grin to Dancer, no ... to Scope before sliding into the booth on the end seat and exchanging nods of recognition with other runners. He eyed their host expectantly.
Scope_47
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2230
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

Scope watched silently as the others began to show up. All of them warm bodies with solid reputations. Some warmer than others she thought as the blue haired hacker took a seat. Assembled team of a covert operative, a wiz-ranger, a close-com specialist, a vehicular specialist, and a comms-officer. No, soldier, street terms... remember the street terms. Kick-artist, mojo-slinger... x-man? Where did that term come from anyway?... rigger, and decker. All in all, a solid team. Definitely not a frontal assault - so no HLZ at all. Standardized breach tactics once we go under the wire - myself on point, followed by the close-com ten meters behind with the wiz-ranger staying in step. Following in staggered formation will...

Then Goat entered the room and began making his way to the table. Scope tracked his movements as she thought John... drek, the last ten years haven't been good to the old goat. Then again, they weren't exactly great for me either... When Goat sits down and flashes her a grin, for a second Scope is unsure of how to respond...

The team always went to the pub after a mission - it was just the way things went even if they were halfway around the globe from home. Sarah was enjoying her beer and watching the boxing match on the pub trideo while Gryphon and Tyko were arguing over whose deck of cards to use for the evening poker game. Sarah smiled - the two were so cutely quarrelsome, each arguing the merit of their own preferred deck, but boys would be boys. Then she noticed John walk into the pub - he was a good guy and did a great job yesterday, but why was he by himself? That wouldn't do at all. Sarah grinned warmly and called out to him "Hey John! Come on over and we'll deal you in buddy." Tyko got an incredulous look on his face as he said quietly so John couldn't hear "Hey Dancer, why ya gotta go an invitin' da trog o'er here?" Sarah got a pit of disgust in her stomach and started to say something, but Gryphon beat her to it judging by the motion under the table and Tyko's small yelp of pain. Tyko was on drek detail a long time for that.

Half a second after Goat sat down, Scope grins warmly at her old friend - breaking her usual stoicism for only a brief moment. We've both changed... even so, it'll be good to work with someone who knew me before I stared into Nietzsche's abyss. Alright... focus soldier. That's six boots on the ground, so this isn't your normal mission - something big is going down if the client is posting that kind of money. Appearances can be deceiving though - they look foreign, but they could just be professional Johnsons working for a local interest. Need to know soldier... you don't, so keep your mind on what you do need to know. Scope's icy demeanor returns and she looks to the two hispanic / amerindian men.
Jeremiah Legacy
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:30pm; Dante's Inferno, Cold Level

After you have all seated at the table, the larger man nods to the other one, who then begins talking in a heavily accented English (appears to be a southern accent)

Good evening, and thank you for coming. I represent a man who was wronged by a AA corp and wants revenge. The plant, right here in Hong Kong, is unsafe. As a result of their negligence, someone is dead. Someone important to my employer.

Redjack
[ Spoiler ]

Unfortunately, the plant was owned by a AA corp, so the government wouldn't touch it, even if they were so inclined. That is why my employer seeks ... shall we say, unofficial means of rectifying the problem.

What he wants is simple. First, he wants the plant shut down. Buy it, burn it, make everybody quit, he doesn't care as long as the plant no longer functions. Second, there are three certain individuals who covered up the death and the conditions, keeping it out of the news. He wants them dead. The twist is that he wants them killed on the plant property itself. Poetic justice, I guess.

So, are you interested yet?

Mr. Johnson pauses, waiting for you to answer, while his partner says nothing, just watching everything, especially your reactions.
Redjack

Wet work was generally contrary to An Shui's principals. People died, that is a fact of life, but to seek someone out to kill them is another thing. He could feel the nudge of the Lady one thought, Caution. I know.

Johnson's emotional response was not lost on him as well, but he well knew those could be faked. An Shui is neither a negotiator, nor a practiced speaker. He tended to be most effective when he kept his mouth shut, but when he speaks it is with intent and from the soul. "If as you say is true then I am interested. My word is my bond however and my honor is my essence. If they did not do as you say, then I should respectfully decline. If they did and we strike a bargain, then only my own death will save them from theirs." No point in spelling out what the Lady would require as amends. He thought it before she had a chance to repeat it, yet again. With great power comes great responsibility

He looks around at his team mates, "I must respectfully also ask that we agree to a path that plans for only the three deaths and act in good faith towards that plan. In this I restrained by my honor." He nods a bow to all involved and looks up for their answers.
pragma
Goat [LTG; PAN=0,Hidden]

The team had the chops for wetwork. Dancer would be worth her weight in gold if the team could set up a sniper nest and One-Punch could probably get the job done otherwise. Goat was a little unsure why he was involved, except maybe to represent the runners in these negotiations. Whatever, it might be time to dust off the old rifle.

"What are you offering?"

It was usually a mistake to let the other party open negotiations, but he didn't have a going rate for this team. Besides, it was always refreshing to hear how much someone else thought you were worth -- it kept your feet on the ground.
Scope_47
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2231
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

Scope listens to the pitch and smiles the smile of a predator. These sorts deserve nothing better than to reap that which they have sewn. It never ends, but at least this act the marks deserve it. An Shui's commentary seemed odd for a moment but he's right... every life is precious - only to be taken if we must. Sometimes its hard to remember that.

Scope looks at the Johnson's negotiator and says in her cool, clinical voice Assuming a financial agreement, the marks will be retired with a minimal of collateral damage and the facility will never operate again.

She looks over to An Shui - he seemed to be reluctant... Sometimes even soldiers don't like their orders... this isn't something that exactly meshes with his reputation. I should try to comfort him... She speaks to him in Mandarin Their blood need not soil your honor, I will do the actual deed.

These targets must be in a complicated security structure to need this many BOGs. It'll be a challenge. Keeping the facility from operating again should fall more under Jo... Goat's and Gabriel's expertise.
Redjack
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:32pm; Dante's Inferno, Cold Level

He didn't quite think that Scope understood the complexity of his need for honor in this business of killing people. I shall endeavor to discuss this with her... the entire team... at greater detail later. The ball is in Johnson's court at this time.

The restrictions the Lady placed upon him sometimes seemed to outweigh the benefits. She did teach him about life and magic, she did guide him and protect him, but she demanded much in return. Always restraint. Always honor.
Jeremiah Legacy
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:40pm; Dante's Inferno, Cold Level

The taller man looks at An Shui and, for the first time, speaks in a controlled voice.

I assure you that everything that my friend, Mi-i-ster Johnson, said, is true. The people you are being asked to kill were involved in the cover-up and the negligence. If you are interested, I can tell you all about Ro ... er, the victim, once you accept the job.

The slightly shorter man looks somewhat surprised at his associate speaking, but then turn to address Goat.

That is a fair question to ask. In addition to the pauses, then continues good karma you will acquire for avenging a needless death, My employer is willing to pay your team HK$16 thousand. 6k now, and the rest on completion of the job.

pragma
[ Spoiler ]

Scope
[ Spoiler ]
Scope_47
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2240
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

Scope listens as the two men speak, then she looks down a moment as she slowly removes her square-rimmed glasses closing the legs one at a time. With so many taking a cut, after expenses that will be hardly the rate for a single retiree... but... how can she afford even that to avenge a mere plant-worker. To ruin herself financially, it must have been someone very, very close...

Sarah laid in the backseat of the car while the runners set up the shop for the surgeon. She could feel the malfunctioning 'ware trying to come online again as spasms ran up and down her body and psychotic urges issued from the damaged program. The only thing that kept her going was the knowledge that one day... one day Daniel would pay for everything... he'd pay for Gryphon, he'd pay for Jeremiah... and most of all he would pay for making her into a monster... one day...

I was far from innocent when I made that vow - and am no closer than I was before. How far from innocence is she? Once she takes this step, there is no going back - the heart that gives the order grows darker than the hand that carries it out...

When she looks up again, her blue eyes have been replaced by red crosshairs on black corneas. Where her voice was cool before, now it is downright cold Three souls for the ferryman... normally sixteen thousand would not be enough. However, coin is not the only currency of society. Justice is another, and face another still. Tell me the story...

The man on the other side of the desk was barely containing his anger when Gun-Dancer entered the office. "The traitorous colonel has outlived his usefulness." Gun-Dancer only nodded and replied "I'll assemble a team. He'll be dead by dawn." The man shook his head and said "I don't want him just dead, Gun-Dancer, I want him destroyed. Teach him fear, show him pain, and break his spirit. Only when he is a broken shell is he to know death." Gun-Dancer had heard all she needed. She had her orders.

... if its value equals the difference, then those who wronged Ms. Johnson will know fear, pain, and finally death. It won't buy absolution, but it will ease the pain. I'll defer to Goat on the sordid matter of balancing the scales monetarily.

Macbeth's death didn't bring Duncan back... it was never good for the one seeking vengeance. Perhaps this time will be different. I'll help her... if I don't then she'll become just like me. The money is immaterial.
Meriss
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2240
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

Mandy hated accents, they made things impossible. She sighed and hoped that she could get a full translation of the misson from the one of the natives. Although Mandarin wasn't her cup of tea either. She sighed again One of these days I'm getting a linguasoft with a full translation matrix.

She did however recognize the terms Dollars Death Then it's a hit. Well I can deal.

She leans forward in her chair "I am in %An Shui can you tell me later what is going on with these gwei lo?%"
pragma
PAN: Hidden

The conversation was moving faster than he would have liked, there were too many players for Goat to keep track of. The dancers nearest their table were of greater concern to him at the moment.

"No story right now, I need a second. One-Punch, hate to cut you out of negotiations, but I need you to get up and bust a groove between us and those dancers Goat jerking his head towards some couples near the table. "I'm worried about a breach and you're the best anti-surveillance device we've got right now. D -- Scope, keep an eye on the situation. Gabriel make sure we're not bugged.

He hoped the troll didn't mind not being allowed to speak his peace and that the rest of the crew didn't mind taking orders. If he remembered correctly, One-Punch was a fighter and not much of a talker outside of some light sarcasm. He'd see what the pit-fighter decided to do.

Turning back to the Johnson he said: 'I think that you're lowballing us for three reasons. The first is that you have hired some experienced talent, the second is that ... He paused and cast a glance toward their listeners before choosing his words carefully ... These kind of jobs, usually come at a premium. Third, some other party is already interested and we haven't even gotten out the door. You're offering about 2.5K a head, I'd like to see that go up to 5.

He carefully avoided laying down any ultimatums, Johnson's like the jumpers and suicide bombers he'd worked with before, tended to be skittish when it came to cash. He kept waiting for a reply.
Scope_47
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

Scope doesn't make any motion to turn and look at the dance floor when Goat starts giving orders. Instead, she says coolly I wouldn't be overly concerned, old friend. The tall one here has been in constant communication with an agent on the floor - juvenile troll, female, seven foot two, red hair.
Redjack
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:41pm; Dante's Inferno, Cold Level

As the conversation shifted to a potential tactical situation in the room, An Shui shifted his perceptions to the astral. The music, being sympathized and played from electronic gear, did not carry over; The rest of the emotion of the room did. Astral space here is a mire of emotional an primordial feelings. The drug and synthohol use left a slight taint, but not enough to actually cause background count.

His starts with the dancers referenced by Goat and then looks over to the Johnson's following Scope's comment. In any case, the duo did not greatly concern him at the moment. If they are security for the Johnsons then they are insignificant. If not they are a liability and spies.

The he remembered the Sun Tsu's words, You must seek enemy spies. Bribe them, and instruct and retain them. Therefore, double spies can be obtained and used. Spies are more valuable if they are turned, otherwise spies are soldiers. Soldiers fall in battle.
pragma
PAN: Hidden

After nodding to Scope, Goat said,"Well, you'll have to forgive an old ork a bit of paranoia then. My first two points stand, I'll drop my asking price to 4.5 per head as a gesture of good faith.

Honestly, it should have been lower than that, but since there employer wasn't walking anytime soon, it didn't hurt to shoot for the stars.
Jeremiah Legacy

I wouldn't be overly concerned, old friend. The tall one here has been in constant communication with an agent on the floor - juvenile troll, female, seven foot two, red hair.

Upon hearing Scope's comment, the taller Johnson's facial expression changed drastically. Growling almost angrily,

No, I have not! I don't mess around with underage girls, troll or not!

At this point, the two Johnsons start talking to each other in a language none of you speak. They are talking very fast, pointing at Scope and the troll girl standing by the floor entrance at almost random times.

[OOC note; they will be talking for about 3 minutes.]

edit: fixing a typo.
Scope_47
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2242
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

Scope wasn't at all good at understanding the emotions of others - that was something she realized. However, the tall man's reaction was entirely unexpected - and a growl was an unmistakable sign of hostility simply from animal association alone. Perhaps I miscalculated the relationship... this could go FUBAR very quickly... fragging undisciplined civilians... couldn't they tell I was trying to disarm a situation. She slowly sits her closed glasses down on the table easily replaced... and rests her hands on either side of them. An Shui, One-Punch, and Goat are all capable combatants. Mandy is next to me - forcing her under cover should put her out of harms way. Goat can do the same with Gabriel...

As the Johnsons argue and occasionally point at her, Scope watches them much the same as before. Gel-round load-out, so collateral damage is minimal. Can't afford a drawn out confrontation - fast-response time downtown will be less than three minutes assuming only a semi-experienced team. Escape would be nearly untenable - unacceptable casualties. Best course of action: wait until they make the first move, hope Goat disarms the situation.
Redjack
An Shui [LTG; PAN=0,Passive] Name=An Shui

As he checks the scene, An Shui discreetly casts casts a protective spell and locks it into place. The drops of sweat trickling down the sides of his face the only sign of the strain he faced from a normally simple spell. He felt her displeasure at the effort he placed in such a simply spell as if she was standing behind him, breathing on his neck.

The impatient young ork entered into a momentary, internal debate debate with his instructor. Perhaps I should stunball the entire damn room?!

Ti Yung Chow! His given name echoed in his head like the god of thunder had rolled it off of the clouds and he knew he was pushing her. He took this opportunity to focus instead on the room. As long as he did not continue to push, she would let him be. Luckily his mentor is a warrior and to that end she would not engage in a frivolous debate in a potentially tactical situation.

Now that Scope had brought the Troll girl to everyone's attention and the junior Johnson had refuted -He doth protest too much me thinks- allegations not made and her aura had confirmed the words, An Shui looked around. It appears our Johnsons lack some experience in conducting these type of negotiations.

He changes the mode of his com while keeping the signal range dialed down to minimum and subtly gets the attention of Christophe as the Johnsons talk amongst themselves. He then taps his ear and makes a gentle circular motion with his upright finger.
[ OOC: Assuming the hacker understands his request for a group net.. ]
Once a team net is established, "<<@Team [An Shui] The girl is enamored and it appears the taller Johnson may be the target of her affections. In any case, I fear further verbal communications may endanger the secrecy of our new job."
Meriss
Mandy[PAN= Hidden]

Mandy hated being left out of things. Life was so much simpler driving. She was starting to mistrust these Johnsons

The network request came as no suprise, Pixie had told her that Christophe was a excellent hacker.

OOC: also assuming the net is set up

<<@Team[Mandy]: %The large one disturbs you An Shui? Why? Love is no crime. The crime is letting love stand in the way of sense. Perhaps if we understood the relationship?% Christophe can you find out who she is?>>
Scope_47
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2242
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

OOC: Also assuming networked... but before doing anything other than talking, we should probably wait for those players who haven't chimed in yet

Jammed sensors, and judging by An Shui's comment and the obvious lack of discipline, the Johnsons are FNGs. My previous calculation may still be correct, but the risk has grown proportionately larger.

Scope's GUI for her AR was unfortunately sitting on the table, but the commlink's earbud and the subvocal mike under the collar of her shirt were fortunately still available when the CommO put together the network.

<<@Team(Scope): Operational precaution recommended. Possible Charlie Foxtrot. Collating threat levels - in event of enemy action, estimate two minute W.O.O. for escape before interdiction - ergo combat action untenable, operational losses unacceptable. Recommend negotiation continuance and intelligence collation prior to engaging possible hostiles. Assuming good faith, incompetent clients may still tender unacceptable risks. Goat, you have the ball.>>

It was only a moment after she finished subvocing the message that Scope realized that her fellow soldiers might not understand the military terminology. I'll explain if they ask.
Scope_47
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2244
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

After listening to the two Johnsons' argument, Scope subvocs to the team
<<@Team(Scope): Rough translation of argument: Tall Client denies knowledge of juvenile troll, desires my removal. Short client attempts to calm other's agitation.>>

<<@Goat(Scope): This mission is a Charlie Foxtrot waiting to happen - incompetent command structure indicates unnecessary risk. If you want to accept the mission, I'll support you. Otherwise, it may be prudent to walk away. You have the ball.>>
Toras
One Punch[PAN= Hidden]

Realizing what the others were doing, he removes the plugs for his Link and his subvocal mike. It wasn't a particularly nice setup, but it would do voice passibly and AR if he could have afforded the glasses.

He might not have been tech savvy but he was fast enough to do so discretely.

<<@Team [One Punch] Neither is a physical threat. I'll follow your lead on this, but if they aren't just dancing around on this it might be unrelated. And speaking from experience, trolls mature faster than most and that can distress people.

Though the fact that we ended up in some place that that we would be spotted encourages me not at all.
Mister Juan

Mouth half opened, leaning forward, the young hacker was about to chime in his usual two cents when Goat interrupted him. Christophe thought it was completely ridiculous for the Js to offer such a low price for what was actually a pretty big and risky op, and there was no way he was going to stick his neck that far out for such a meager pay. But he also knew Goat wouldn't let them down.

Giving Goat a sort of devious crooked smile, Christophe slid back comfortably into his seat and folded both of his tiny arms across his tiny chest. To anyone, he just looked like a smug little teenager. On the inside, he was a total machine now over-clocked with tasks.

His attention drifted away from the conversation at hand as he brought up dozens of AR windows with a simply thought. The young hacker was already busy running scans on the immediate area when he noticed An Shui gesturing to him. With nothing but a playful wink as an answer, Christophe patched through each of his teammates commlinks through his own hardware, literally using his head as a router hub. He booted up one of his Agent, loading it with some apps of his own flavor to keep the node secure.

Alright you bozos... where the hell are you hiding...
Redjack
Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070; 10:42pm; Dante's Inferno, Cold Level
An Shui [LTG; PAN=0,Passive] Name=An Shui

He was always amazed at the wizardry performed by neon-mages and Christophe was no exception. He turned his attention back to the two dancers as he communicated with the team. <<@Team [An Shui] Let us not be so quick to call this job unworkable or our potential employers too uncouth to pay us lots of money. However, one of the dancers nearby is chipped up to the max. Not saying she is of any concern, but if she decides to be she could be several moments worth of it.>>
Scope_47
Cold Level, Dante's Inferno - Downtown, Hong Kong - Tuesday, Jan 20, 2070 - 2244
Hidden Mode, PAN=0

Plain english, soldier...

<<@Team(Scope): No mission is unworkable. However, the likelihood that the operation will be compromised on the client's end dramatically increases given incompetence - they need to offer either a lot more money or a very compelling story. An Shui, description of the dancer?>>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012