Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run Speed
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Large Mike
This is embarassing, but I can't remember how to figure out how fast a character moves, and I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help me out?
Fortune
SR4, page 138. Humans, elves and orks walk at 10m/turn and run at 25 m/turn. Dwarves are 8 and 20, and Trolls move at 15 and 35 respectively.
raverbane
This thread brings up an interesting question. What is the conversion from combat movement rate to 'travel' or 'longterm' movement rates?

If you do a straight conversion based on phase movement rate an average human runs, without sprinting, at 18.47 MPH.

That seems a tad fast....
Shrike30
That's what Fatigue tests are all about smile.gif I've always thought of SR's "running" as being "moving as fast as you can while still being able to do anything else" and "sprinting" as "moving flat-out as fast as you can."

I can run and fire a handgun at some yahoo, and still maintain a rate of speed that'll tire me out in less than an hour.
Orient
QUOTE (raverbane)
This thread brings up an interesting question.  What is the conversion from combat movement rate to 'travel' or 'longterm' movement rates?

If you do a straight conversion based on phase movement rate an average human runs, without sprinting, at 18.47 MPH. 

That seems a tad fast....

...especially considering that same 'average human' is pretty unlikely to be able to long-jump the same distance he can cover in one running stride...

raverbane
QUOTE (Shrike30)
That's what Fatigue tests are all about smile.gif I've always thought of SR's "running" as being "moving as fast as you can while still being able to do anything else" and "sprinting" as "moving flat-out as fast as you can."

I can run and fire a handgun at some yahoo, and still maintain a rate of speed that'll tire me out in less than an hour.

LMAO!!

Fatigue? That 'average' all 1 stat human runs a mile, without sprinting, 30 seconds faster then the current world record holder!!

Now I know as technology improves, the average physical capabilities of folks improves as well... But, I think that is a little much.
Large Mike
... when did the average stat become 1?
raverbane
QUOTE (Large Mike)
... when did the average stat become 1?

Whoops. That was a typo. Meant to type a '3' there. But, even a puny human with all 1's could do it too!!
Ryu
Nope, see fatigue damage (as Shrike30 said). Besides, the world class runners get to be faster than Joe Average, so no record for him anyway.
raverbane
QUOTE (Ryu)
Nope, see fatigue damage (as Shrike30 said). Besides, the world class runners get to be faster than Joe Average, so no record for him anyway.

Actually, the rules for fatigue say the charcter can SPRINT for a number of turns equal to his Body + hits on Running(Long Distance)+ Strength Test.

If a character isnt SPRINTING the fatigue doesnt start until after (Body+hits) x2 MINUTES and then only take 1 box of fatigue damage per time period.

So, said human with all 1 stats can run 18.47 MPH, not sprinting, (even with NO hits on the rolls) 18 minutes, before passing out...

The world of 2070 is filled with, by todays' standards, world class runners.
Blade
There's the problem of acceleration: if you strictly apply the rules a character who starts to run cover the same distance as a character who's already running.
mfb
the running speed rules were designed for short-term distances--basically, the 100m dash. running longer distances requires harsher fatigue rules.
Shrike30
Hey, if it's too fast for ya, knock 1/3 off all the distances. Not hard nyahnyah.gif
Gelare
I actually cut speeds in half, myself. I said, three seconds is a stupidly short amount of time for a round, plus characters run really fast, so I'll keep the speeds the same and make a round six seconds. Poof.
Whipstitch
The sheer distance people can go seems rather silly, but I'd hate to see short range speed knocked down any. After all, I'm willing to bet those world class runners wouldn't have gotten so fast if the world of 2070 didn't also happen to be home to gangers providing motivation via smartlinks and gyromounts. I'm biased though; I always make athletic characters who sprint to cover fairly regularly.
Riley37
QUOTE (Gelare)
make a round six seconds

An unaugmented pistoleer can fire only two shots in six seconds, and the second gets -1 for recoil? I disagree; I'm not much of a pistoleer, but if I fire two shots in six seconds, there's a Take Aim on each one. I'd rather adjust movement rates. I also think trolls, despite longer legs, should not be THAT much faster than humans.
Fortune
QUOTE (Riley37)
I also think trolls, despite longer legs, should not be THAT much faster than humans.

This I can agree with.
Whipstitch
Definitely. One would think that if stride length was THAT critical there'd be more elite runners of exceptional height out there, and I can't think of any modern elite sprinters that were any taller than 6'1" off the top of my head. Many of them are in the 5'9" to 5'10" range, which is really fairly average. Not to mention Michael Johnson ran somewhat oddly and was considered to use rather short steps compared to many runners. I'm fine with trolls being good runners, but they already benefit in that area due to their strength scores even without a movement bonus.
PlatonicPimp
Trolls get faster with each edition. In first and second, they had the same land speed as dwarves. In third, it was the same as humans, and in forth, it's better than everyones. I can only conclude that they are evolving.
It trolls!
Indeed, we are. Soon we'll outrun you and feast on your tiny organs!
PlatonicPimp
OK, so my organs aren't made of meat, so unless you evolve the ability to digest metals, I'm not to worried.
Ryu
Abstract running speeds are certainly sufficient for our group as we are not playing with exact maps anyway. Anyone who wants to improve the mechanic needs to separate speed and endurance.

Speed should use strength, running(appropiate kind), race, load

Endurance should use body, running(appropiate kind), load

I´ll ignore load for a while and include race via ability mods, with dwarfs getting a negative mod of -2m/round. Max. Running speed could then be something like 8+half strength+half running skill, giving unmodded humans a base of 8,5 to 14,5 m/turn or about 10-18 mph. Not perfect, but a good start. Walking should be close to 5m/turn btw., or about 6km/h.

No idea on Endurance right now, I´d probably simply hand out exhaustion modifiers after body+running rounds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012