Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Web based SR4 Charactor Generator Q&A
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
fatal2ty
Ok, nobody get your hopes up yet, but I noticed a lack of web based toolsets for Shadowrun, ie. Chargens.

I'm currently learning PHP/MySQL and was considering an SR4 Charactor Creator as my first Project with actual substance.

My idea is that I would use PHP as the frontend and it would output to HTML, and possibly PDF and XML format in the future.

The SQL database would be to manage skills, knowledge and gear.

I also plan to integrate Charactor Saving; either via cut/paste the POST in the address bar(easier, but the address bar can only hold so many charactors) , or through registerable user accounts(more difficult, but I might be able to work it in with an established CMS system).

I plan to start work on this by the weekend and I was hoping to get some ideas for Feature requests, layout ideas, and whatnot

I figure it would also help me to nail down the Charactor creation process in SR, as I'm still learning how to do that efficiently
Stahlseele
that sounds like one hell of a good idea . . finally no more excuses like:"i don't have that tool, i can't build with those rules" yadda yadda . . sadly, i can neither help you with coding nor with character build in SR4 . . i can only applaud you for your bravado of wanting to try this *g*
fatal2ty
another thought i had which, correct me if i'm wrong, isn't in any of the other SR4 chargens, is a Beginner, and an advanced setup.

The Advanced setup would be the typical layout, plug in your values and run with it, if you've made dozens of charactors this would be the way to go.

The beginner Mode would essentially step you through the process, ie.:
Step 1: Allowed BP
Step 2: determine Meta-type
Step 3: Assign Attributes
ad infinium

this would make the chargen more friendly to newer shadowrunners and give them a chance to really understand what they're doing.

I also want to add descriptions for each Skill and all the gear and such, so you actually know what your putting points into without a guide. Though I don't think I can use the Descriptions from the book due to Copyright, so I may have to write my own
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012