Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ex-Ex Ammo go BOOM!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tisoz
So, given that, and given the obvious incongruity of a frangible round being better able to pierce armor than regular, the only obvious conclusion is that Ex-Explosive ammuntion is actually explosive, and powerfully so.

I'm taking it as a given that we can all define an explosion as a great amount of pressure generated as a small amount of solid (or liquid) turns into a lot of hot gas in a very short time, and then proceeds to expediently and energetically expand to fill the volume of the container it is in

I always thought Ex ammo was a hot load - more powder in the casing to propel the bullet. Ex-Ex ammo was just the munchkin version, making it an even hotter load, so hot, it was dangerous to the user. This concept explains the parts I quoted - Making it better at piercing armor and even the definition of how powder burns and explodes.
kzt
It's easier to assume that they meant what they said. Furthermore the entirety of the bizarreness's in SR's gun rules is most easily explained by assuming that the people who wrote them are clueless, hence their attempt to translate their comic book understanding of guns into rules fails because they never learned that dictionaries and encyclopaedia's are useful tools for writing about something that you have only seen in the movies. And they are unwilling to actually listen to people who have a clue and can keep them from using velocity to mean "rate of fire", etc, etc, etc.
mfb
let me preface this post by saying that i think the technology i'm about to talk about--APLP rounds, aka blended metal ammunition--is probably bullshit. i can't say that with any authority, because i don't keep close tabs on such things, but what i have seen looks like mostly hype and very little hard data.

that said, it sure as hell sounds really cool, and it's what i think of now when i think of EX and EX-EX rounds (possibly because both set off my bullshit detector!). basically, APLP rounds (armor piercing limited penetration) are designed so that when they hit armor, they punch through it; but when they hit flesh, they fragment. basically, they work exactly the way EX and EX-EX ammo in SR does. APLP ammo achieves this wondrous feat purportedly through the use of 'blended metal', as i said above. apparently, this particular blend of metal smashes through solid resistance, but shatters when it meets softer, warmer resistance, such as flesh. ...like i said, sounds like bullshit to me.

you can google around for it. here is the first article i read on it; you can also find a lot of anecdotal evidence and many forum posts on the subject.
Ryu
The reported performance of the LeMas Ltd. BMT APLP 85gr .45 CQB round is particularly impressive for pistol ammunition. It has a velocity of well over 2000 fps out of a 5-inch Government model 1911 pistol, and will easily penetrate NIJ level IIIa body armor. However, once it penetrates the armor, it will not over-penetrate the target. This is because the Le Mas BMT APLP .45 CQB round stays completely intact while passively penetrating non-living barriers. However, once it hits living tissue, the combination of hydrostatic pressure and other factors (heat/temperature change, etc.) causes the bullet to go active and deflagrate inside the target, in dynamic fashion.

On ammunition

Todays technology, or so it seems.
hyzmarca
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/180211/blend...d_metal_vs_ham/

Just watch the video.
kzt
QUOTE (Ryu)
On ammunition

Todays technology, or so it seems.

The guy who runs Defense Review is sucker for everything that seems "cool". His tireless cheerleading of the giant fraud that is "Dragon Skin" finally made me stop going there.
Whipstitch
It's been a while since I heard about Dragon Skin... Isn't the problem with that stuff mostly due to degradation in some climates and coverage issues? Like a "large" dragonskin vest covers only what a "medium" traditional vest would? I guess I'll just quit being lazy and check it out myself, but if anyone has any cool links (pro and con) on that stuff I'd be appreciative.
kzt
Ok, here's what the "blended metal" bullets really are
lightweight, high-velocity, lead nosed JSP’s

Once again, David Crane is made to look like an idiot.
Whipstitch
Blended metal? What the hell is that even supposed to mean? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that alloys aren't at terribly new idea, if that's what they mean. I guess I'll have to read the article and THEN laugh at them. cyber.gif

As far as the dragon skin thing goes, forget I even asked. I looked around some and the first thing that jumped out was how ridiculously heavy and thick dragonskin is. I'm pretty certain that they could also make "higher performing" interceptor armor if they were willing to accept more than 40% increases in weight and thickness.
mfb
yeah, like i said, i find the concept hard to buy. but as near-future quasi-realistic cool-sounding semi-believable lines of bull go, it's... a near-future, quasi-realistic, cool-sounding, semi-believable line of bull. i like a lot better than "i shoots you with my asplodin' bullets".
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (mfb)
let me preface this post by saying that i think the technology i'm about to talk about--APLP rounds, aka blended metal ammunition--is probably bullshit. i can't say that with any authority, because i don't keep close tabs on such things, but what i have seen looks like mostly hype and very little hard data.

that said, it sure as hell sounds really cool, and it's what i think of now when i think of EX and EX-EX rounds (possibly because both set off my bullshit detector!). basically, APLP rounds (armor piercing limited penetration) are designed so that when they hit armor, they punch through it; but when they hit flesh, they fragment. basically, they work exactly the way EX and EX-EX ammo in SR does. APLP ammo achieves this wondrous feat purportedly through the use of 'blended metal', as i said above. apparently, this particular blend of metal smashes through solid resistance, but shatters when it meets softer, warmer resistance, such as flesh. ...like i said, sounds like bullshit to me.

you can google around for it. here is the first article i read on it; you can also find a lot of anecdotal evidence and many forum posts on the subject.

I'm skeptical. Sounds wiz though chummer.
Falconer
Yeah I don't buy a lot of those hype things on those sites...

Anyhow, firstly... APDS isn't a redundant acronym. Not all AP rounds discard their sabots. Discarding the sabot makes the round lighter and more aerodynamic... but you don't get spin stabilization on a round once it's length/diameter gets too large. So sometimes what you see is that the projectile will be soft aluminum, but w/ a hard penetrator up in the tip. When it hits... the soft metal is obliterated but the sub-diameter penetrator keeps chugging. Look at the M855 ball for an example of this. (sometimes these rounds are termed semi-AP)

SLAP rounds are for MG's only in todays day and age. Put simply it's too hard to keep the bullet centered perfectly in the barreled and consistently mounted so every shot is nearly the same, so they don't have good single shot accuracy. But if you're using full auto on a target... you're spraying an area anyhow. So shadowrun has made these a lot improved (and available in a lot smaller calibres)...

I don't believe as OP states that EX are simply hotloads... even hotloads are problematic. HOTLOADS DON"T SILENCE!!! (remember truly silenced 9mm have gas bleed systems or fire UNDERLOADED 9mm ammo to keep the rounds subsonic). Hotloading just got rid of that benefit. Even if not aiming for subsonic, you now need to cool/deal w/ more net volume of gas in your suppressor, vastly degrading it's performance barring a much larger suppressor.

Ex rounds in Srun I think are just that... explosive.. we ALREADY have frangible rounds in the form of flechettes in the game. Furthermore, w/ modern tech they've never done a HE type round smaller than a .50cal that I can recall reading about. So it's kinda whizbang that you can get them for smallarms in 70 years...

But right here is where I think some of the other posters are on crack... in order for such a projectile to be worthwhile you'd need something better than RDX or the like to use as a bursting charge for the round!

RDX is a secondary explosive. Blackpowder is a propellant (at absolute best a low-explosive). A firecracker like a squib is just finely ground blackpowder wrapped in cardboard, it's hardly optomized to make noise, it's optomized to be cheap to produce and still make noise. Even if 90% of the energy of the high explosive goes into bursting/fragmenting the casing and first order damage effects, that 10% leftover is still probably louder than a squib! Now consider that in order for a smallbore weapon to get good use out of it you'd need something better than RDX... very sci-fi whizbang.

Finally, shooting w/ a suppressor at metal silhouettes at 100-200m you can CLEARLY hear a NORMAL bullet 'ping' off the target on a hit. If I can hear a NORMAL bullet hit something... why the hell wouldn't I hear one which is being blown up w/ high explosives? I very much liked that comment "well it was quiet when it left the gun." classic that one smile.gif.

Also, it's not as if there aren't plenty of other ammo picks. Flechette is good, if they're truly unaware of you, a called shot ignoring armor is a great option (no reaction, no armor, no AP+5 penalty). APDS again, -4AP is mathematically the same as +1DV/-1AP Ex-Ex and far more likely to be lethal! (ignoring the fact that the sabot would discard in the silencer and destroy the baffles! we can assume SRun tech has fixed that little problem). Good old basic cheap slug ammo also. I don't think anyone would argue that tracer rounds would be self-defeating! I'm fond of gel.. (surprise knockout in the first round... you don't always want casualties).

Also there's a side benefit in this... lets say you have a silenced SMG, you could use the noise produced by your ex-ex rounds to create a diversion a good distance away from you. Even take advantage of the smartguns ability to calculate a high angle ballistic arc to place it accurately a good distance away.

It strikes me that currently in SRun, about the only major ammo types unacounted for are the incendieries, armor piercing incendieries (API), and basic stuff like soft-point vs. FMJ hard point rounds. (assuming standard ball is the norm, a -2AP 8R AP round would be nice, same goes for a +1DV/+2AP hollow-point). But shadowrun places itself in a tough position, it tries to be beyond bleedingly edge, but as we see the bleeding edge moves pretty fast in 20 years... and the game gets more advanced with it staying far out ahead of the tech cure.
Fortune
QUOTE (Falconer)
.. we ALREADY have frangible rounds in the form of flechettes in the game.

Flechette and frangible ammunition are not the same thing.
Falconer
No they're not, but the damage codes wouldn't be all that different now would they. If the damage codes are identical or nearly so... is it worth wasting ink to publish them?

Flechette is a large dart... basically while most guns go for kinetic energy... flechettes go for momentum in a smallarm. In a shotgun, you fire a bunch of them at once. They do lousy against armor... they hit impact armor because they're big and slow relative to normal bullets. Get a nice DV bonus... probably got errated to +5AP because most things have 2 less points of impact armor anyhow... so they were freebie damage for no real cost pre-errata. There's no range penalty for most things firing flechetes so they're probably not firing a cloud of them like a shotgun which has a special range chart just for them.

Frangible is a bullet made out of pressed metal powder, or otherwise made to prefragment. On impact w/ a hard surface the bullet 'wastes' kinetic energy to turn to powder or breakup so as not to overpenetrate. Again absolutely lousy against armor as their primary selling point is they won't penetrate! The fragmentation aspect can be good against unarmored targets. Net effect, the damage code is nigh identical as the bullet 'expands' nicely on impact w/ an unarmored target, but any armor is going to give it a really hard time.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Whipstitch)
Blended metal? What the hell is that even supposed to mean?

Metal. Blender. Possibly high temperatures.

The fragmentation comes from the froth, while the armor penetration comes from adding vanilla at precisely the right time.

QUOTE (Falconer)
A firecracker like a squib is just finely ground blackpowder wrapped in cardboard, it's hardly optomized to make noise, it's optomized to be cheap to produce and still make noise.

There's a reason that a stiff, heavy paper casing is used. Ok, so it's not a highly complex optimization, but it is indeed an optimization. It's meant to contain the explosion initially and then fail suddenly.

~J
hyzmarca
Alloys are solid solutions of metal, generally created by melting two metals and mixing the molten materials together in precise quantities before letting them solidify again.
Blended metals are not alloys in that they are not solutions and are not created by melting. Rather, they are powdered metals held together by some binding agent, usually a low-melting point metal such as tin but possibly a polymer or a glue.

In other words, it is a bunch of very tiny gains of different metals glued together in a tight, compact, bullet shape.

QUOTE (Falconer)
Flechette is a large dart... basically while most guns go for kinetic energy... flechettes go for momentum in a smallarm. In a shotgun, you fire a bunch of them at once. They do lousy against armor... they hit impact armor because they're big and slow relative to normal bullets.

Completely untrue. Flechettes are little darts, hence the -ette suffix.
Flechettes have less mass than standard bullets do and thus have higher muzzle velocities. This give them more kinetic energy and the same momentum:
The Kinetic energy formula is [(1/2)m(v^2)]
The momentum formula is mv
while the velocity formula is v=2ax
and the acceleration formula is f/m
meaning that velocity =2(f/m)x
and the momentum formula can be rewritten as 2fx,
changes in mass of the projectile do not change momentum
yet the KE formula can be expressed as (1/2)m(2fx/m)(2fx/m) = 2[(fx)^2]/m,
meaning that decreasing mass increases KE and increasing mass decreases KE.

The only variables that matter as to momentum are powder charge and barrel length. Bigger, more massive, projectiles are gain or lose less velocity than small projectiles do when they gain or lose momentum, but them momentum is the same.

Flechettes are used to pierce armor due to their higher energy, smaller impact point, and non-deforming construction. However, their low mass and fin stabilization make them inaccurate and prone to deflection when used in small arms; their small cross-sections and lack of deformation or fragmentation also mean that they cause less soft tissue damage than normal bullets. This is why they tend to be used in tanks.

Flechette rounds are more commonly know as armour-Piercing Fin-Stabilised Discarding Sabot. Which is why current SR ammo designations make no sense. APDS is flechette, so we have no clue about what flechette is. What we do know is that flechette certainly is not flechette.
kzt
QUOTE (Falconer)
Flechette is a large dart... basically while most guns go for kinetic energy... flechettes go for momentum in a smallarm. In a shotgun, you fire a bunch of them at once. They do lousy against armor... they hit impact armor because they're big and slow relative to normal bullets. Get a nice DV bonus... probably got errated to +5AP because most things have 2 less points of impact armor anyhow... so they were freebie damage for no real cost pre-errata. There's no range penalty for most things firing flechetes so they're probably not firing a cloud of them like a shotgun which has a special range chart just for them.

Flechettes, or Yet Another Thing that Shadowrun Gets Wrong About Guns

Flechettes are basically steel or aluminum needles. As such they are light, very fast (out of the muzzle) and can be deadly when used effectively. However, small arms are not the effective use.

A huge amount of work went into developing rifles firing them, but they never went into service. For one, it turns out that single flechettes from small arms are (unlike how they are shown in SR) just not very deadly. It's like getting a needle shoved through you. You might eventually bleed to death, but you are not going to get incapacitated rapidly. Second, a flechette round and its sabot is not significantly smaller or lighter than a conventional round that is much more effective at causing the person you are shooting to fall down right now. Third, flechette used in rifles required a lot more machining than a bullet, so they cost more. Fourth, they lose velocity very fast. Fifth, they are easily deflected by vegetation.

I know the DU version that was planned for the CAWS had significant AP capability. I've never seen any test results or suggestions that conventional flechettes had any significant ability against armor. They may have had some ability to go through woven soft armor, but that's my assumption not supported by any facts.

Flechettes are used in shotguns. But I have never seen any reliable reports as to how flechettes actually work out of shotguns. As my understanding is that the US Army went back to 00 buck for the 40mm canister round for the grenade launcher after experimenting with flechettes it seems reasonable to assume that they were not all that great. An analysis that "sounds right" on flechettes in shotguns

When used by cannon (like the APERS round for a 105 mm howitzer) they are extraordinarily deadly against personnel in the pattern. But that has a lot to do with the fact that a 105mm APERS round has 8,000 8 gram steel flechettes packed in it fired at quite a high speed in a cone than the fact that it's firing flechettes as such. Similarly, the anti-personnel flechette rocket warheads have a lot of flechettes in them and are moving very fast.

When you go to larger sizes (and heavier weights) flechettes are armor piercing. As hyzmarca said, the same shape is used for APDSFS rounds. There are also some interesting designs 2.75" rocket warheads, like the Flechette Anti-Tank.
Falconer
Yeah, I just pulled up wiki... I had that backwards... and I'm trying to think why? Mental block I guess.... I know, I blame the armaments table w/ it's misleading inferior armor penetration smile.gif. Oh well, I am not infallible.

Nice paraphrase of the wiki artical, I think you got all of it's points smile.gif.

If you check the artical comments section:
"While you wouldn't hear them until after they hit you, flechette are pretty survivable, and the sound can be heard from areas that are safe, such as under cover. The low lethality of the individual flechette is one of the reasons the ACR and CAWS programs were canceled, the idea of a flechette firing individual weapon wasn't as attractive when you consider that a single flechette hit does very little damage. " goes on to discuss beehive rounds..., by one of the articals principal authors.

Makes me wonder, did the SRun authors intend that the ammo we see as flechette be a 'shotgunized' ammo load for non-shotguns. (I've tried firing some of that mini-shotgun load for a .45ACP once, it was pretty disappointing). Notice how we don't have any buckshot or similar listed. Then again this is sci-fi, so why not wave hands and have a working flechette based weapon.

As far as the physics... (one of my degrees is in it please).
Lightweight projectiles decelerate faster (F=ma)
Finned projectiles have higher drag coefficients
Drag is proportional to velocity^2, combined with the higher drag coefficient
flechettes lose their sabot at the end of the barrel (they lose mass)

Add up all the above, and you end up with something which leaves the barrel with higher KE but loses it VERY quickly.

Now if you add in internal ballistics things get even nastier.
Here's an example from some of Dunn's work (the HARP gun), "For example, in the case of a 16 inch naval gun which normally fires shells in the 3,000 lb. class at velocities of 2,800 fps, velocities as high as 6,000 fps can be obtained with shot weights of the order of 400 lbs., the sub-caliber vehicle in this case having a ballistic coefficient considerably higher than the normal shell. By re-design of the gun (i.e. extending the chamber and barrel) to optimize at this lighter shot weight, velocities approaching 7,000 fps are possible."

Do the math, you'll see for an equal length barrel momentums are not the same. Mass does not cancel out like your simple equation claims. You can see, cutting the projectile mass by 7, did NOT result in a 7X increase in muzzle velocity. This gets worse in smaller bores. The problem is your math assumes ideal conditions.
mfb
hard to say. maybe the flechettes are all made of blended metal!
Glyph
The game design theory behind flechettes, and the Ares Viper Slivergun, was "We want to have Molly Millions' pistol in the game, 'cause it's cooool. Consistency with the other rules and compliance with the laws of physics are both secondary to this."
kzt
QUOTE (Glyph)
The game design theory behind flechettes, and the Ares Viper Slivergun, was "We want to have Molly Millions' pistol in the game, 'cause it's cooool. Consistency with the other rules and compliance with the laws of physics are both secondary to this."

It's the Fasa way. "Sell the Sizzle, not the Steak."
mfb
just a sec as i double-check to make sure i'm in the right thread...

what's funny is, Molly Millions' flechette pistol didn't work at all like the AVS. Molly's pistol didn't shoot a spray of flechettes, like a shotgun fires pellets--it fired a stream of them, like a machine gun, or even one flechette at a time.
Fortune
QUOTE (mfb @ Nov 18 2007, 08:24 AM)
what's funny is, Molly Millions' flechette pistol didn't work at all like the AVS. Molly's pistol didn't shoot a spray of flechettes, like a shotgun fires pellets--it fired a stream of them, like a machine gun, or even one flechette at a time.

Hmmm ...

I never considered the AVS to fire a spray of little flechettes, shotgun-style, but rather larger (relatively) single slivers one after another, either one at a time or in a burst, just as you describe Molly's gun as working.
mfb
in SR3, flechette weapons fire "several small, sharp, metal fragments". the description in SR4 makes them sound almost more like glaser rounds than anything.

and, well... single flechettes aren't going to do much damage. Molly had to fire through her target's eye, and coat it in nerve agent, in order to kill someone with a single flechette.
Fortune
Yeah, but I seem to also recall a listing from one of the editions that describes the AVS ammunition as a single large sliver.

I know that Cyberpunk (the game) depicts this type of gun as shaving plastic slivers off a disc as it fires, but Shadowrun itself has never really gone into as much detail.
kzt
QUOTE (mfb)
Molly had to fire through her target's eye, and coat it in nerve agent, in order to kill someone with a single flechette.

I can see how that justifies the extra high lethality of flechette guns in SR. wink.gif
mfb
yeah, no kidding.
Ravor
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Something else does say different. In particular, two something elses (Fields of Fire and the SR3 core book) say two differents (round explodes and round just fragments, respectively).

I still have to disagree, aside from an amusing typo in Fields of Fire there is no real disagreement between the two books, one just builds upon the other and the actual rules don't make sense if the bullets were "just" fragmenting.

QUOTE (Shadowrun Third Edition; page 279-280)
Explosive rounds are solid slugs designed to fragment and explode on impact. They are standard issue with some military units, though unpopular because of their high misfire rate. Exposure to intense heat such as flames or fireballs can also cook the touchy things. EX rounds are an an improved model.

QUOTE (Fields of Fire; page 51)
The American Ammo Co. proudly announces improvements to its current explosive and tracer ammunition products. Now, the EXAmmo line provides more explosive and fragmentation than ever before, at a minimal cost increase. The ViewFlight line of tracer ammunition has also been updated to provide an even more accurate ballistic path and brighter burn! American Ammo; for all your ammo needs!

QUOTE (Fields of Fire; page 51)
>>>>>(It's a common misconception that "exploding" rounds are like mirco-grenades. Not true. Yes, there's a detonation, but the load is so minor it's really like an impressive fragmentation. Also, the rounds tend to denonate early, especially when punching through body armor of any weight. So no, you don't shoot somebody and then get to watch him blow up.)<<<<<
--Teague
(12:10:13/8-22-94)

-Edit-

The quote in question can be found here; http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...pic=19712&st=50
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012