Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This time it's Personal
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Sir_Psycho
What do your personas look like? Had any interesting persona constructs invented by either you or your characters? I need some inspiration.

Also, I've noticed that the overwhelming majority of canon decker/techie NPC's in the books don't note any specifc utilities or matrix gear. Anyone got any fully realised Decker archetypes they can send to me in the interests of expediency?

I've never ran or played a game where the Matrix was particularly used, other than for things like the occasional matrix legwork, so I don't really know how to run the matrix. The examples in SR3 and Matrix 3rd and Target Matrix are good for rules demonstrations, but is all that there is to decking "Ok you've accessed the Node." "Ok I Analyze Host" "Ok you're in an office computer" "Ok I perform a search for the file" "You get attacked by IC" "I analyze the IC". Do you ever just run the matrix as an environment and make some of the tests only necessary when the Decker wants to know a background process? For example giving a decker a few different doors to choose, a path to choose, and if they want to what's going on behind the metaphor, they can analyze it to buggery.

Basically I need a few tips for running the Matrix and making it an interesting experience. I'm running a one on one game at the moment, so it can be detail intensive without the sam having to say "I eat another slice of pizza... then I clean my gun... Then I draw a penis and I <3 Orks on the Decker's forehead".

Kyleigh Wester
My character,w hen in the marix, appears in a very anime-esk fashion. Slender body, long silver hair, silver long coat, tattoe down his left arm. The whole thing is fully realized as customized by himself. because of his realityf ilter he has his own little matrix world as well. Paths appear as long bridges of light passing through space itself and icons looks like floating flat screens with images on it. Everything is fluently described and accepted by my GM, though when my filter dosn't work, of course, he puts my icon in his own little custom world.
NightLife
My one matrix savvy character a Gadgetter named Tesla. Appeared as a sepia monochromatic version of his namesake.
Pendaric
My suggestion for the matrix is that for each host or pltg, you choose a metaphor for the host/s. This allows you to tell a descriptive story while the rules continue in the background. This is time consuming and unless you can think really fast on your feet I suggest working out the visual details of the host and its defence system ahead of time.

A reality filter allows you to make a really well worked out metaphor in each run but to keep things interesting I would change the story line of the run dependant on the host.

For Decker NPC's a straight decker will have utilities in the ratings of 5-6 minimum, higher if they are particularly good. The Matrix book has the basic profile to help out with stats.

As to icons, they can be anything so it more a matter of thinking of the style for the decker/otaku and working backwards from there.
Kyoto Kid
...Violet looks like a 3d animated version of her namesake from the Lemony Snicketts The Complete Wreck series.

Her reality filter morphs the sculpting of whatever node she's in to a Looney Toons setting. Her attack utility for example can be anything from a lit exploding cigar she sticks in the mouth of the IC construct icon to a big mallet or oversized cartoon revolver she pulls out of her pocket. Her Black Hammer is the Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator.
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (NightLife)
My one matrix savvy character a Gadgetter named Tesla. Appeared as a sepia monochromatic version of his namesake.

That sounds excellent. I imagine it with the light flickering and burnt film spots, like old sepia film reels. With a little rag-time played in the background.

And KK, please tell me she throws the biting baby. And also that she looks like Emily Browning.
Kyoto Kid
...Haven't figured out what programme best fits Sunny. Black Hammer has to be the ultimate weapon which in her twisted mind is the Q-38 Explosive Space Modulator. Maybe Tar Baby if it comes back in Unwired (munches on another Matrix Specalist's utility?).

As for appearances Vi is more into the actual books (I had her pay several hundred nuyen.gif for the Complete Wreck which is the title for the collection of all 13 novels, I personally have the set in my library as well, wonderfully twisted little stories) so her vision is more that of the illustrator than the film. Also I like Squinky's latest take on her very much. She does kind of have EB's face, just wears a little more updated (and practical) clothing.

VIolet

BTW, like her namesake she does tie her hair back before working on things (like B&E Hacking, and other technical tasks), and her doss is an old tech repair shop littered with various gizmos & components.

...oh and she also hates the colour Pink
Ted Stewart
The technomancer in my group appears as a dwarven ninja. Her sprites typically had a japanese flair to them, and when she used BlackOut it took the form of a ninja-to.

She thought it appropriate given the uber-sneaky nature of technomancers.
FlashbackJon
My current dwarf rigger is a nervous-looking photorealistic wallaby in a ill-fitting shortsleeve collared shirt that is blue with purple triangles. His street name is, by no coincidence, Rocko.

Another character of mine, a gunslinger adept:
Her Matrix icon is a trio of goddesses, robed in stars, that move and speak as one.  Sometimes she selects only one of the three and the other two seem to simply fold into the remaining one.  As she is a technophile, each is lovingly crafted in exacting detail.  The youngest woman bears a shield; the middle-aged woman carries a key; and the elder woman leans on a gnarled staff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012