Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battlefield 1942
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Plastic Rat
Anyone else out there discovered Battlefield 1942? I know I'm a bit late on the bandwagon, but damn, this game hit me like a 3 am beerbottle from a Johannesburg barfight.

I even ended up getting my highly anti-gamer girlfriend addicted to it. We have to buy two PC's to stop the fights. At least our high-speed ADSL will be getting the workout it deserves.

Anyone else wanna share warstories?
Fresno Bob
I discovered, and I wish I never had. What an awful, awful game.
Plastic Rat
Ok, one question forces it's way uncontrolably from my quivering lips, and in shaking despair I snivvel... "WHY!?!?!!?!??!"
Ezra
Because the game is laggy, boasts a fine array of team-killing sociopaths-in-training with nothing better to do than sit on a spawn point and cap their own team mates. Because every 16 year old (Lesbian Decker biggrin.gif) who has ever seen a war movie wants to be the sniper, and because they either can't shoot to save their lives, or they insist on capping their team mates. (See above.)
Because buildings cannot be destroyed by accurate naval bombardment, and grenades are so easily avoided as to be useless.
Because the AI in the single-player mode smacks of rampant telly-tubby clones handed a rifle, a tin helmet, and pointed in the general direction of the enemy.
Because just when you finally connect to the Korean All-Star 1942 server, you discover that "1942" actually refers to the date that their server was last updated, and furthermore that you now have a Ping rating of 9999, not to mention that every Korean gamer online is currently sniggering at you as you are now the ONLY player on the entire map.

That said, it's an awesome game that simply has to be played. biggrin.gif
The Question Man
Hello Plastic Rat . I have lost several hours to this game , but unlike Voorhees and Ezra I have only played on Networks of 12 computers and quite enjoyed it . If your able to get a hold of "Call of Duty" nows that's addictive .

Fresno Bob
Well, lets see.

My computer, is by no means a monster gaming machine with a supercrack 2837283 graphics card and 2397 ultrapulses of RAM and other top of the line crap, although I do hope to upgrade it. But, in any case, it is adequate, and is most cases quite good when it comes to games. But, Battlefield 1942 is a lagfest. I enter commands and they don't even work. It's like, I switch to my pistol, and it switches immediately back to my rifle, repeatedly. Or I zoom in and it zooms back out instantly. Or I go prone and I immediately stand back up. And no, before you ask, I'm not an idiot who bound go prone and stand up to the same key, or something stupid like that. Also, for some reason, the text displays as a bright, impossible to read white, rather than the red/blue I'm told it should be. Maps take about 5 minutes to load, and I have a cable modem. The graphics suck, especially the weapon models, and the sounds are crap. The guns do not sound like guns at all. In any case, I have a lot more complaints with this game. It's fun, when I get on a decent server with a map I like and it doesn't lag, and I get to fly around, or drive, or something, but other than that, the game was a complete waste of money for me.
Backgammon
I play BF on and off. When I play, look for me in the top 3 scorers biggrin.gif cool.gif
BumsofTacoma
QUOTE (Ezra)
Because the game is laggy, boasts a fine array of team-killing sociopaths-in-training with nothing better to do than sit on a spawn point and cap their own team mates. Because every 16 year old (Lesbian Decker biggrin.gif) who has ever seen a war movie wants to be the sniper, and because they either can't shoot to save their lives, or they insist on capping their team mates. (See above.)
Because buildings cannot be destroyed by accurate naval bombardment, and grenades are so easily avoided as to be useless.
Because the AI in the single-player mode smacks of rampant telly-tubby clones handed a rifle, a tin helmet, and pointed in the general direction of the enemy.
Because just when you finally connect to the Korean All-Star 1942 server, you discover that "1942" actually refers to the date that their server was last updated, and furthermore that you now have a Ping rating of 9999, not to mention that every Korean gamer online is currently sniggering at you as you are now the ONLY player on the entire map.

That said, it's an awesome game that simply has to be played. biggrin.gif

I play Day of defeat, no vehicles sucks but im a camper at heart.

all say high to hungryhungryHitlers when you see me mwahahaha

bf1942 is best played on a large lan set up. online its just to.... no.......fun, for me anyway.
Buzzed
I'm still a loyal fan of Tribes2. What can I say? Nothing comes close to the thrill ride of ramming people in mid air with a shrike.
CirclMastr
I'm a loyal fan of... free demos. I play the BF1942 Multiplayer demo, which incredibly still has people running servers. I play it because it's free.

I also play Counter-Strike. Well, I used to. The server I played on mysteriously vanished, and then with 1.6 they switched to Steam which I don't care for (and really hasn't improved much at all since I was testing it, which is bad).

I also play the new Unreal 2 XMP demo. Which is really fun and really laggy. Moreso than BF1942, in fact. Whatever you do, don't get into a vehicle.
BumsofTacoma
you know you dont have to have steam to play CS or DOD right?

I cant get the damned thing to work so i dont use it. it wont install properly and makes my comp crash. stupid steam.
Shadow
Hey Rat, look for me online sometime and we can dominate.

*IMF* Shadow (Capt.)

My brother and I have been playing a lot of Invasion Philippines, it is a great map. The game is really fun, however it gets old after a while because of lag, or other players.
toturi
I used to play BF but having frags in the hundreds got boring after a while. Allied (100 tickets), Axis (600)
thunderchild
I only play this game at my favorite Lan-Cafe $3.50 for 2 hours and some good friends... it owns...

im getting it for home aswell after xmas just so i can learn how to fly a helicopter propperly
Logo
Get the Desert Combat mod, it's leaps and bounds better than the standard BF1942.
thunderchild
QUOTE (Logo)
Get the Desert Combat mod, it's leaps and bounds better than the standard BF1942.

thats debateable.

I like standard BF for the Battle of Britan and such, El Alamein too.
Fix-it
15 minutes. it won't run on my system. frown.gif

stupid video card.
Dogsoup
QUOTE (BumsofTacoma)

DoD is my online game of choice too, you lurking bastard smile.gif. Got my last sig from there too.
Day of Defeat took CS and threw out everything bad IMO (wich is a lot).
Jagd, Avalanche and Flash is teh winn!111
Fresno Bob
Well, I reinstalled BF1942...

Driving is pretty fun. I mainly reinstalled it because I wanted to play the Dead Cities mod when it came out.
BumsofTacoma
QUOTE (Dogsoup)
QUOTE (BumsofTacoma)

DoD is my online game of choice too, you lurking bastard smile.gif. Got my last sig from there too.
Day of Defeat took CS and threw out everything bad IMO (wich is a lot).
Jagd, Avalanche and Flash is teh winn!111

I now play on steam, if its better or not is debatable. but the tommy gun or mp40 is my weapon of choice. nothing beats rushing up hill firing full auto into 6 guys and killing them all, pulling out my 45. cappind 2 in the head, stabbing another guy in the neck, and then being torn to peices by mg rounds as you reload.

ahh memories.

sneak up an them snipers an mg'ers and beat them to death with my garand aswell, that is also fun.

sneak sneak sneak.......THWAP THWAP THWAP!!!

Although if Call of Duty is as good on multy player as it is on single.... i think i just might switch over to COD that game rules!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012