Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 4th Ed Die Roller and Statistics
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
Feshy
I know there are a million and one SR4 die rollers out there, but I've always been fond of my own. I've finally gotten around to updating it, and I've added quite a few features. Most notable are UBB output and Statistical Analysis!

The statistics feature is really quite handy. It'll give you the odds of getting any number of hits with your dice, taking into account bad luck, gremlins, etc, and give you what those odds would be using your edge in different ways too. It will even do the same for extended tests, showing you how likely you are to succeed at any given roll, etc.

Here's some sample outputs. Keep in mind that Dumpshock is using an antiquated UBB board that doesn't support inlined images or exact colors at the moment (both of which the UBB output on Die does handle!) so when they finally fix these boards it will look much better.

A basic roll
[ Spoiler ]

Statistics on a basic roll (6 dice, 4 edge)
CODE

Hits   Normal   +Edge   w/Edge   Reroll
=======================================
 0      8.8%     1.7%     1.7%     0.8%
1+     91.2%    98.3%    98.3%    99.1%
2+     64.9%    90.3%    91.3%    93.3%
3+     32.0%    73.2%    77.6%    75.2%
4+     10.0%    50.6%    59.4%    45.1%
5+      1.8%    29.5%    40.9%    16.9%
6+      0.1%    14.6%    25.2%     2.8%
7+       -       6.2%    13.8%      -  
8+       -       2.3%     6.7%      -  
9+       -       0.7%     3.0%      -  
10+      -       0.2%     1.2%      -  
11+      -        -       0.4%      -  
12+      -        -       0.1%      -  
=======================================
Glitch Odds
G:      4.2%     1.3%     1.3%
CG:     2.0%     0.2%     0.2%

I had other statistic output examples, but Dumpshock also doesn't support "code" tags in spoilers properly -- and it looks positively horrible without it. The colors are also a bit extreme, thanks to having to guess within 16 or so color choices. All color and what not can, of course, be turned off if it bugs you.

Die 2.0 Download Here (from Mediafire; free but adds)

Go ahead and grab it, it's only 666k, just a single executable in a zip file. Play with the statistics, and see what fun things you can learn. Also, let me know if (or rather, when you find any bugs.

If there is interest, I should be able (possibly) to compile this for Linux as well, and possibly even Windows Mobile. It should compile on a Mac as well, but we don't use "grape" colored computers round these parts, so I can't really say.

Edit: Doh... one of the libraries is including the MSVCR90.DLL. I'm re-compiling that library now, but if you don't want to wait, Microsoft has it on their website for download I'm sure.

Edit2: Okay, that's all fixed now. It should be a totally stand-alone executable now. Enjoy!
Ryu
Nekro-Kazam, the DL link still works (related note: must talk to GF about important software tools apparently).

Fun thing I just learned: The chances of a node to detect attempts at exploit. Turns out that TMs can thread stealth to 12 and take three attempts at hacking on the fly even against rating 5 nodes, while everyone else should at most roll twice, and that against nodes rated 3-.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012