Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadows of Germany
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Ryu
Some digging shows that St. Jacobi in Hamburg does organ tours Thursdays at 12:00. smile.gif
Stahlseele
sadly, some digging shows that i have to leave for work at 12:30 *g*
Grinder
Let me introduce you "free days". biggrin.gif
Ryu
The person I have in mind will have some free time to spend wink.gif

I would certainly not try to tell a Hamburger about Hamburg.
Stahlseele
free days . . yeah, i heard about that some time ago . . what will they invent next?
also: why not tell a hamburger about hamburg? there's things that's only to be found when using the tourists way of getting to know the city . .
Method
Is there anything published about Dresden? I have all the English books, but I haven't read many of them in years. It would save me a lot of time if I knew where to look...
Ryu
Not an english book, but theres a quarter of a page in DidS2, pg 127-128.

Seat of the Arts and Culture, expensive but exclusive nightlife. The Semper Opera is mentioned. There is "The green cellar", where the Herzog is maintaining a the family collection of curiosities August the Strong started (High-Security Installation).

The town is surrounded by heavy and chemical industries.
Method
QUOTE (Ryu @ Jan 14 2008, 05:12 PM)
Not an english book, but theres a quarter of a page in DidS2, pg 127-128.

Seat of the Arts and Culture, expensive but exclusive nightlife. The Semper Opera is mentioned. There is "The green cellar", where the Herzog is maintaining a the family collection of curiosities August the Strong started (High-Security Installation).

The town is surrounded by heavy and chemical industries.

Hmm... sounds very corporate then?

How would you characterize the shadows there? Any significant corp or underworld presence?

Thanks for the info Ryu!! biggrin.gif

[EDIT]: to clarify, I'm thinking of developing an NPC for a Seattle-based game who's handle is Dresden, so I'm looking for things that might flesh out his background.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Method)
Hmm... sounds very corporate then?

How would you characterize the shadows there?  Any significant corp or underworld presence? 

Well, Dresden is in Saxony - and Saxony is somewhat special:
At the end of the EuroWars the local Bundeswehr commanders turned the state into a military dictatorship and, even later, into some sort of pseudo-monarchy (by recruiting the help of some almost-forgotten noble clan from the Kaiser era).
When the Federal Republic of Germany became the Allied German States in 2045 this was officially recognized and Saxony has been known since as "Duchy of Saxony".

The Duchy is quite militaristic - soldiers are highly-regarded by the citizens, "nobles" have the right to duels, several smaller mercenary outfits are based there (in fact, even the State Militia can be hired!)

The Shadows are quite alive in Saxony but the focus is on political and military runs and espionage.
There are always intrigues going on in the government and nobility, and Saxony's neighbors (both other German states and Poland) like to keep an eye on the somewhat megalomanic duke...
Method
Perfect.... muahahaha.... vegm.gif

Thanks!!
MaxHunter
This is an excellent thread so far, thanks guys. -It also seems to have doubled as a travel guide to germany, but hey, that's all right with me. I only have to learn some german and join the party :smile-

Back to the original topic. I think it will be Hamburg. It loved your comments and got the chance to look at its section in Runner Havens. I now only need a few things...

-a map!
-some ideas of interesting hamburg locations (bars, corporate buildings, whatever)
-hamburg NPC's? runners? johnsons? even your own characters could work as german runners and help me get an idea of a german "feel"
-Runs? a short comment on something you played and worked out fine would make me happy.

A question: in SR canon, is the whole city flooded? Are there any cars and trains and "normal" roads?

I do not speak German, so I don't know If I could make anything out of the german sourcebooks.

thank you very much so far.

Cheers,

max

Ryu
The german version of "The eyes of the rigger" has a small map of hamburg. Don´t know if that even exists in english. I´ll ask my GF to scan that for you. Be prepared for a low-quality map (based on the maps quality, not on my GFs skills).

The flood took larger parts of Hamburg downtown, but not everything. Usually taxis are used instead of private cars, because traffic regulations make personal vehicles a pain to use. The subway system is flooded, but a greater part of the rails was above ground.

Downtown: Think venice with modern buildings. Has a gigantic mall below sea-level, accessed via swimming pontons.
Stahlseele
if you can find a BIG version of the Schattenstädte(i think runner havens in english) book there's a frigging big part about Hamburg including a usefull map . . but i am not sure if that is only in the german version . .
i just compared a german version (194 pages) with the english version(146Pages), so there's a good probability that the 3 pages or so about hamburg is all there is to our grand city in the english version . .
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
... so there's a good probability that the 3 pages or so about hamburg is all there is to our grand city in the english version . .

You got it! frown.gif
Grinder
Has the Reeperbahn been flooded, btw?
Synner
As with all the international licenses in previous editions, the local holders are allowed to add exclusive (local) content to their books.

The German version of Runner Havens chose to expand the Hamburg writeup to a full chapter. The French version of Runner Havens will include a full (exclusive) chapter on Marseille besides the content that was in the English version. There are no plans to currently translate or release this material in English, but you never can tell what the future might bring.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Grinder @ Jan 16 2008, 08:35 AM)
Has the Reeperbahn been flooded, btw?

nah, still as dry as can be in that kind of business *g*

edit:would it be okay if i were to try and extract that map from the german version to give other people?
MYST1C
QUOTE (Stahlseele)
if you can find a BIG version of the Schattenstädte(i think runner havens in english) book there's a frigging big part about Hamburg including a usefull map . . but i am not sure if that is only in the german version . .

Actually, you can get that Hamburg map from the net!
This link will give you a ZIP-file containing the city maps from Schattenstädte - no worries about copyright, these files used to be available for free from the FanPro D homepage (the new location, Eisparadies.org, is run by German freelancers Eismann and Medic).

Contained in the ZIP are the following files:
  • Hamburg 2070.jpg - Hamburg city map
  • Hong Kong 2070 Grossraum.jpg - Hong Kong area map
  • Hong Kong 2070 Stadtteile.jpg - Hong Kong city map
  • Seattle 2070 Grossraum.jpg - Seattle area map
  • Seattle 2070 Stadtteile.jpg - Seattle city map
  • München-2070.JPG - Munich city map (from the German-only München Noir book)

The map legends are in German, of course. Should questions arise - post them here!

Stahlseele
ah, okay, did not know that *g*
of course, if questions arise, feel free to ask . . contrary to popular opinion i try to be of help *g*
Ryu
Bah! Better maps for free. Good that my GF didn´t fire up that scanner so far.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (MaxHunter)
This is an excellent thread so far, thanks guys. -It also seems to have doubled as a travel guide to germany, but hey, that's all right with me. I only have to learn some german and join the party :smile-

Back to the original topic. I think it will be Hamburg. It loved your comments and got the chance to look at its section in Runner Havens. I now only need a few things...

-a map!
-some ideas of interesting hamburg locations (bars, corporate buildings, whatever)
-hamburg NPC's? runners? johnsons? even your own characters could work as german runners and help me get an idea of a german "feel"
-Runs? a short comment on something you played and worked out fine would make me happy.

A question: in SR canon, is the whole city flooded? Are there any cars and trains and "normal" roads?

I do not speak German, so I don't know If I could make anything out of the german sourcebooks.

thank you very much so far.

Cheers,

max

maps has been answered allready *g*
a little bit upthread i mentioned some places of hamburg that could/should be of interest. . i forgot to mention such things as the old WW2 Bunker but as that is or at least was the headquarter of HanSec i would advise on staying the hell away from that thing *g*
Otherwise i am not really sure if there is such a thing in SR timeline, but in realtime there WAS an restaurant/bar on the top floors of the Radio/TV-Tower . . basically kinda like Seattle Space Needle Restaurant . .
as for NPC/Runner/Johnson(in AGS Called SMITH)? Guess who owns a verry much hip Cyber-Fetish Club in Hamburg? that's right, ALIEN QUEEN from Shadowland Fame *g*
haven't played anything mayor in Hamburg as our Runners tended to be based in Seattle(go figure). . only a short innuende when one of my mortally injured runners after having gotten back to his own legs decided to retire to Troll-Kingdom Schwarzwald(yeah, Troll with Family there) and decided to enter AGS by way of Hamburg . .
As there is no really big corp thing going on in Hamburg in SR political/eco(terrorist) stuff would probably be a good bet . . or some smuggelling or something like that . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012