Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Backgammon
Anyone watching the Sarah Connor Chronicles? I think it's not bad at all. It has some of the shotgun, engine grease and dirty appartment feel of the first one. The chick from Firefly is doing a good job of being a little robot girl. The cyborg on cyborg fight scenes are cool, all brute force and stuff. Sarah Connor is not as hardcore as in T2 (which actually made me realise Sarah Connor does not get enough credit about being a strong leading lady, it's always all about Ripley...) but she does an Ok job. Considering it's for network TV, I think it's well done. I thought it was going waaay more dumbed down than this.

I have serious issues with the time travel logic, but whatever. I try not to focus on it too much.
Mercer
All my friends are scared to watch it, because its on Fox. Something about Fox's tendency to cancel good shows.
Moon-Hawk
I just watched the first two episodes (two-part pilot) last night. I enjoyed it. The Sarah Connor character is pretty good. I agree with Backgammon, she's not as hard-core as in T2, but she's good nonetheless. John Connor's character is somewhat undeveloped as yet, but there's promise. (It's not called the John Connor Chronicles, after all)
Summer Glau really steals the show, though. Her extensive dance background gives her impressive body control, and so she frequently makes her movements not-quite-right so that she hits that "uncanny valley" and convey the feel of a robot impersonating a human. Excellent casting choice for the cyborg.
I don't expect Fox will ruin this one. With the writer's strike on there's not much else to watch, so it should get plenty of viewers. And being a miniseries, there's only 12 episodes, and it's already been written and made. Right? Somebody jump in if I'm wrong on this.
Warmaster Lah
Dont worry about the time travel problems. Because of the movies actually the timestream has been changed up quite a bit. Leading to the events in the series. (Seems a lot of people are having trouble understanding this from what I have seem on the net.)

Seems the humans and skynet are in a sort of time cold war now. both sides sending proxies back into the past.

I think this show has a lot of potential. Sarah's character is my favorite. (She was Leo's wife in the movie 300 I think.) Always good to see Firefly crew get work on TV so I'm hoping for some success to Summer. Not too sure about John but we'll see.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
And being a miniseries, there's only 12 episodes, and it's already been written and made. Right? Somebody jump in if I'm wrong on this.

Wikipedia says I'm wrong. Supposedly there are plotlines up through a 3rd season.
Fortune
You had me wondering there. It hasn't started here yet, and is just being advertised heavily, and there is no mention of being a mini-series (not that that means anything on Oz-TV ohplease.gif).
klinktastic
I thought it was really good, definitely gonna keep watching it!
BookWyrm
I'll reserve judgement & wait & see. The only two real problems I have are:

The 'time-jump' part in the bank-- they established in both T1 & T2 that you can only go 'downstream' (into the past), not upstream (into the future), even if you're from the future. It's a one-way trip. No going back. WTH?

The damaged Terminator: it's decapitated head reactivated, then it's STILL INTACT body also reactivated, accurately hunted down it's own head & reattached it.
Now, according to all my sources (the novels, the comics & the movies), a decapitated T-800 will stop, just like a decapitated human will. The head does NOT contain it's own powersource (NO ROOM!), and the body does not contain any sensors nor back-up systems to function autonomically. WTH?

But I am expecting more diverse Terminators in this series. I've seen female & other ethnic types in the T-800 series, thanks to the Dark Horse comics.
Ravor
Hmm, I didn't remember the part about only being able to go backwards in time from the movies, was it firmly established as law or something that could be past off as a character simply getting it wrong?

Completely agree on the T-800's head activating, but all in all so far I like the series, but wish they had left it unclear whether or not John's pet made the right call by shooting the old dude.
Grinder
Watched the pilot three days ago - turned out better then I expected, with a lot of dark and gritty feeling.

The part in the bank confused me, but I'm having troubles with the whole time travel stuff in the T-movies anyway.

nezumi
QUOTE (BookWyrm)
The 'time-jump' part in the bank-- they established in both T1 & T2 that you can only go 'downstream' (into the past), not upstream (into the future), even if you're from the future. It's a one-way trip. No going back. WTH?

Makes sense to me. Imagine we have a timeline with points of time denoted by letters, starting at A and progressing onwards.

If you are at point C, points A and B have already happened and are 'set' - i.e. you cannot change them from this point in time. Points D and so on are still open to change, however, and therefore are not set.

If you moved your body back in time you're basically destroying yourself now and creating a copy at a given moment, let's say B. At that moment you have changed time, so your C no longer exists. Even if you only teleported back a single atom, the world is slightly different, and no longer perfectly matches C. You have created an alternate timeline. What happens to C is a topic for its own debate. Now that you are back at B, you are heading towards C' - a related but different version of C. You can never ever return to C, unfortunately, since there's no way you can undo your actions at B without somehow interfering with an earlier point.

I believe this was a plot point in the original movie, when whosit (the human) said it's a one-way trip. Although that could have just been a pick-up line,

As an aside, it doesn't appear the show is available via the internets. I may have to wait until the DVD comes out.

Backgammon
This is what I mean by I try not to focus on the time travel thing -

1) It is possible to time travel a machine (terminator) back in time. So you can send inanimate matter back. Why not send a nuclear device to take out Sarah Connor?

2) Assuming you don't want to send a nuke. You send Ahnold back in time to kill Sarah. He fails. Ok. Why not send a second Terminator set to arrive at the same day the first Terminator arrived. Maybe a little help will do the trick, you know. Then send another, and another. And another.

3) If you don't want to send an army of Terminators to do the job, why not send one to kill Sarah's great grandma while she's still a child? Sarah Connor is a tough cookie. Maybe great grandma isn't.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Backgammon @ Jan 16 2008, 08:17 AM)
This is what I mean by I try not to focus on the time travel thing -

1) It is possible to time travel a machine (terminator) back in time. So you can send inanimate matter back. Why not send a nuclear device to take out Sarah Connor?

2) Assuming you don't want to send a nuke. You send Ahnold back in time to kill Sarah. He fails. Ok. Why not send a second Terminator set to arrive at the same day the first Terminator arrived. Maybe a little help will do the trick, you know. Then send another, and another. And another.

3) If you don't want to send an army of Terminators to do the job, why not send one to kill Sarah's great grandma while she's still a child? Sarah Connor is a tough cookie. Maybe great grandma isn't.

1) In the series (comics, novels & movies--before T3) it's said that you can't send 'dead things' through time....only living things. They also said this in the show: "No clothes, no weapons..." this is why you get nekkid time-travelers in the Terminator series. Something to do with the living bio-electrical field. Thus, a nuke, while 'a good idea', is still large, messy & impractical. Sending (at least) one Terminator to take out one person makes more sense.

2) Sending multiple Terminators is a good idea (which SkyNet, apparently aware of all the possibilities of time-jumping), but all at the same temporal exit-point just creates a 'log-jam'. Sometimes it's easier to send them a few seconds apart, and a few feet, meters, or even miles apart, so the hole you just punched into reality has enough of a chance to close up, or at least scab over. Like a garden hose you poke a hole in, you don't just keep jabbing it until the hose breaks. You patch the hole, then pick another spot.
You should read the Dark Horse comics. Especially Hunters and Killers.

3) According to Kyle Reese in the first Terminator, most of the records of the past were lost in the initial nuke-strike. This is why SkyNet sent 'ah-nold' to kill all the women named Sarah Conner in the phone book. It was covering it's bases. Killing Sarah's great-grandma doesn't make any sense. And besides, time-jumping takes a lot of energy.
MYST1C
QUOTE (Backgammon)

That was answered in the first movie: The time machine can only transport organic matter - that's why Kyle Reese had to go nude and without any equipment.
It worked on the T-800 because its cybernetic parts are covered with living flesh.

Now, they never explained how the all-metal T-1000 was transported in T2 or the T-X in T3 but I guess they can change their liquid-metal structures to resemble organic matter.

Velocity219e
On travelling back and forth.
actually Kyle never specified in Terminator that the no going back was a limitation of time travel its self, just that HE cannot go back, so its not unreasonable that in an alternate 'stream' and time that the resistance could implement another time machine to go back and forth.

On meat, metal and time travel.
Why can they wrap a robot in flesh and ditch it in the past but not do the same with a gun, I'm sure they could knock up a doodah that attaches to the hightech plasma rifle that keeps meat alive while wrapped around a gun, then send that back ala a huge robot, peel it remove the gizmo and tada! high tech gun in the past, no reason you couldn't have a hunterkiller wrapped in leather imo biggrin.gif
Backgammon
QUOTE (BookWyrm)

1) In the series (comics, novels & movies--before T3) it's said that you can't send 'dead things' through time....only living things. They also said this in the show: "No clothes, no weapons..." this is why you get nekkid time-travelers in the Terminator series. Something to do with the living bio-electrical field. Thus, a nuke, while 'a good idea', is still large, messy & impractical. Sending (at least) one Terminator to take out one person makes more sense.

2) Sending multiple Terminators is a good idea (which SkyNet, apparently aware of all the possibilities of time-jumping), but all at the same temporal exit-point just creates a 'log-jam'. Sometimes it's easier to send them a few seconds apart, and a few feet, meters, or even miles apart, so the hole you just punched into reality has enough of a chance to close up, or at least scab over. Like a garden hose you poke a hole in, you don't just keep jabbing it until the hose breaks. You patch the hole, then pick another spot.
You should read the Dark Horse comics. Especially Hunters and Killers.

3) According to Kyle Reese in the first Terminator, most of the records of the past were lost in the initial nuke-strike. This is why SkyNet sent 'ah-nold' to kill all the women named Sarah Conner in the phone book. It was covering it's bases. Killing Sarah's great-grandma doesn't make any sense. And besides, time-jumping takes a lot of energy.

1) Can't you just cover your nuke with skin like you cover a Terminator with skin? I don't think SkyNet is trying hard enough on this one. Unless the only excuse really is that they don't want to nuke everything, as that may have consequences SkyNet is incapable of calculating... like accidently destroying something that stops the creation of SkyNet as well. I'll go with that for my sanity's sake.

2) Err, so you're saying sending multiple terminators (slightly spaced apart) is possible, and was done in some of the comics? So, like, what stopped it from working?

3) I see. Ok that makes sense. Once they identified the correct Sarah Connor, even then SkyNet would not be in a position to identify Sarah's ancestors, or really anything else that the Terminator scouting her out back in the past didn't leave behind as documentation for the future SkyNet. And Terminators suck at paperwork anyway.
nezumi
I'm going to guess they can only send one object at a time, so if they sent a gun and a man, the gun would end up some distance or time later, and is very liable to be picked up by the wrong person and cause a lot of trouble. I did however wonder why they didn't put some useful technological doodads inside of Kyle. I guess they just didn't feel comfortable explaining how Kyle had to poop out his nifty raygun.
Backgammon
Ah ha. I was reading up on Terminator lore on wikipedia when I spotted that the series is a prop-up for the upcoming T4 movie. Makes sense. I was wondering why they'd do a tv series for a dead franchise. Turns out it's not dead.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (Velocity219e)
On travelling back and forth.
actually Kyle never specified in Terminator that the no going back was a limitation of time travel its self, just that HE cannot go back, so its not unreasonable that in an alternate 'stream' and time that the resistance could implement another time machine to go back and forth.

Right. It was a one-way trip for him, because he didn't have a time displacement device. The limitation is that you can't use the device to fetch things, only to send them, thus Reese was stuck. But you can send them forward or back. I don't believe they've ever said that you can't send things forward.

As for sending a terminator instead of a nuke: I would imagine the machines have to be a little bit careful. I mean, if they send back a nuke and destroy an entire city, that might kill John Connor, but it might also disrupt the past so much that Skynet is never built. The terminator is more "surgical", in that it disrupts less of the timestream while still accomplishing the desired goal.
Not that the terminators are subtle, but you have to admit they're more subtle than an atomic bomb.
Backgammon
Not that the terminators are subtle, but you have to admit they're more subtle than an atomic bomb.

Or, SkyNet has a programmed penchant for memorable one-liners.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Can't you just cover your nuke with skin like you cover a Terminator with skin?

MEAT BOMB!
Ravor
Now all skynet has to do is use cow skin and 'port them into low earth orbit. silly.gif
BookWyrm
And they did something similar in one of the Dark Horse Terminator mini-series: three T-800's jumped with a captured human resistance tech, having placed a hand-held e-pistol inside his out-of-shape body, then rather messily retrieved it (you'll have to find & read the issue).
Hocus Pocus
well. they did mention close to the end with their new identites, i think they said they were from lawrence kansas? at the very least the made up date is, tough that should be kinda suspect, since i left there right before the turn of the milennia no cop that i remember got shot in the line of duty....though I am old and memory comes and goes.

it was ok. the terminator chick is hot, 2:1 the guy at least cops a feel from her.
mfb
i liked the first two eps, but with the third ep, the series seems to be slowing down and getting kinda cliche.
[ Spoiler ]
BookWyrm
In the premier episode, the fem-terminator said her name was Cameron (no doubt a nod or dig to James Cameron)
Kyrn
My vote's on both a nod and a dig.

Decent series though. It's going to have to get really weird though. Time travel does that to a series.
mfb
i dunno, thus far it just feels like it's going through the motions. Lena and Summer are appropriately hot, Summer is appropriately quirky and badass, Skynet is doing appropriately bad things--it's all really predictable. the few interesting elements--John pushing to become the badass he's supposed to become, the mystery of what's so different about Cameron--have, so far, just been kinda folded in as plot elements.

[ Spoiler ]
Spike
mfb: Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the oddball shift in behavior on behalf of 'Cameron'... though I did miss ep 3... arg!
Jame J
I've watched this and liked it. The shift in Cameron's behavior both was kinda predicted (inconsistencies in earlier behavior) and is kinda lessening the impact of the show for me.

I'll still continue to watch it though. Summer Glau is quite cute.
nezumi
QUOTE (Spike @ Feb 6 2008, 03:05 PM) *
mfb: Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the oddball shift in behavior on behalf of 'Cameron'... though I did miss ep 3... arg!

http://www.fox.com/fod/player.htm?show=tscc

That said, I can't understand why these people know how to hotwire cars, but not how to pick locks.
SoyKaf Adict
QUOTE (Jame J @ Feb 6 2008, 03:10 PM) *
I've watched this and liked it. The shift in Cameron's behavior both was kinda predicted (inconsistencies in earlier behavior) and is kinda lessening the impact of the show for me.

I'll still continue to watch it though. Summer Glau is quite cute.

Watch "Firefly" and the movie that came out for the series "Serenity." Summer Glau plays another interesting role, but the show is dynamite... Only it was canceled after the 13th episode, first season. So don't watch it if you like Fox as a channel.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (Spike @ Feb 6 2008, 03:05 PM) *

It happened in the Pilot too.

Cameron is every bit the typical teenager until Cromartie pull the pistol. Then two full episodes of "Ahhhnold".

All they have to do is have her say that she has advanced personality simulation code, but she can't run it and her tactical code at the same time. So, she either flirts and gossips, or kills people, not both at the same time.
Hocus Pocus
i didn't get to watch all of it. my wife was switching back and forth between 3 shows. So on terminator looks like an actor or something? i'm getting lost.
Ravor
I don't know, other then when she was first introdiced I didn't think she was really that "human-like" in any of the episodes, but I might be missing something.
Ed_209a
You aren't. There was about 90 sec of "real girl", then utter deadpan from then on.

It is still very early in the series to comment on character interaction.

Cameron has already lasted longer as a plot object than any other terminator. All 3 Arnies were destroyed after just a few days. Ditto the Lokken and Patrick terminators. Perhaps with extended human contact, she will become human-like, not just act human-like.

Shrike30
QUOTE (nezumi @ Feb 6 2008, 12:31 PM) *
That said, I can't understand why these people know how to hotwire cars, but not how to pick locks.

I could teach someone off the street how to hotwire most cars and explain why and how it works in about five minutes. Picking locks is a fiddly finger skill that takes a while to learn.

It's worth noting that when you're hotwiring a car, you're bypassing the part that involves a key... which you could, in theory, pick.
Backgammon
After last show's foreshadowing, I will bet you anything John and Cameron end up accidentaly buildin skynet. Appropriately ironic, in a "Fox Network no imagination" sort of way.
hyzmarca
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Feb 9 2008, 04:05 PM) *
I could teach someone off the street how to hotwire most cars and explain why and how it works in about five minutes. Picking locks is a fiddly finger skill that takes a while to learn.

It's worth noting that when you're hotwiring a car, you're bypassing the part that involves a key... which you could, in theory, pick.

That depends on the lock. A tubular lock, such as that found on drink machines and arcade games, can be picked by taking a Bic pen apart, shoving the body into the lock, and turning it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9bN0zfMFW4
nezumi
QUOTE (Shrike30 @ Feb 9 2008, 04:05 PM) *

Not in any car newer than about... 1992. Since then they've changed the electronics because, well anyone off the street can hotwire a car. Now to hotwire it you have to be able to move the engine block. Since I don't generally see a lot of cars around that are older than 15 years, there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief.

A car lock is a double-sided wafer lock. I've never picked one myself, but I understand it's reasonably difficult (which is why if you call a lock-out, the person who responds will almost never use that option). This is compounded by the fact that most medium to high-end new cars use the car transponders, which require the appropriate, encoded RFID chip in addition to the key to open. It is possible to spoof that, but not with a set of lock picks.

However, the lock that John used on the bunker appeared to be a standard, low-grade wafer lock (I'm a little surprised myself, I would have figured that a lock on a nuclear bunker would, at minimum, use a high-end medecco with the side-bar. Now that is a sucker to pick.)

QUOTE (hyzmarca @ Feb 10 2008, 02:18 AM) *
That depends on the lock. A tubular lock, such as that found on drink machines and arcade games, can be picked by taking a Bic pen apart, shoving the body into the lock, and turning it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9bN0zfMFW4

Not any more. Most vending machine owners realized 'hey, people can pick these locks with a bic pen!' and have since upgraded. The vending machines at my office both have the tri-lock (I know I misquoted the company name) which are pretty tough to pick. I haven't tried it for obvious reasons, however. I picked the circular lock on my computer fairly easily (although since I winged it and don't actually have a circular pick, it was not as fun when I realized I had to pick it again to close it and be able to insert it in my computer). The standard ones, including what you see on steering wheel locks, are great fun and I highly recommend them for any starting lock-picker, since they illustrate how tumblers work very well, but the ones beyond anything holding money is almost always going to be far more secure and a serious pain to pick. Of course, if your machine is ten years old though...
apollo124
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Feb 8 2008, 08:56 AM) *
You aren't. There was about 90 sec of "real girl", then utter deadpan from then on.

It is still very early in the series to comment on character interaction.

Cameron has already lasted longer as a plot object than any other terminator. All 3 Arnies were destroyed after just a few days. Ditto the Lokken and Patrick terminators. Perhaps with extended human contact, she will become human-like, not just act human-like.

I'm thinking that she may not just be "human-like" but actually incorporate more actual human organs and such. I mean other than just the artificial skin that they need to time travel. That's my guess on the whole "eating a potato chip" thing in the pilot episode. I do wish she would shift back into "real girl emulation" mode. She's a lot cuter that way.
Ed_209a
QUOTE (apollo124 @ Feb 10 2008, 08:03 AM) *
I'm thinking that she may not just be "human-like" but actually incorporate more actual human organs and such.

You certainly could be right, but from the POV of designing a more convincing infiltration droid, it is mechanically much simpler to just store food, compress it then excrete it. That gives you two more convincing human behaviors.

Sure, it's poo would still look and smell like food, but who actually checks poo?

hyzmarca
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Feb 11 2008, 10:00 AM) *
You certainly could be right, but from the POV of designing a more convincing infiltration droid, it is mechanically much simpler to just store food, compress it then excrete it. That gives you two more convincing human behaviors.

Sure, it's poo would still look and smell like food, but who actually checks poo?

Food would be necessary to maintain the living skin.
Backgammon
Cameron builds skynet. Called it. You'll see.
mfb
ep5 is definitely an improvement over the last few eps.

[ Spoiler ]
Backgammon
[ Spoiler ]
nezumi
[ Spoiler ]
Jeremiah Legacy
Response to Backgammon's spoiler

[ Spoiler ]

Ravor
Wouldn't be the first time that a series had planned on trading talent from the very begining either...
Drogos
I wil be very upset if they replace her. She was the only thing that peeked any interest from me.

Long Live Firefly...damn dirty bastards!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012