Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Origins 2008
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
Redjack
Website
I know its probably a little early.... When will the events for this con be posted?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Redjack @ Feb 25 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Website
I know its probably a little early.... When will the events for this con be posted?

CGL Sponsored events were submitted to them in January. AFAIK, we haven't yet heard anything back regarding what was approved. So, until we hear back, we can't promote any of our events.

In terms of when they historically post their events -- it depends. Origins seems to have a knack for running "behind schedule." It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't open events for registration until April.
Phantastik
RPGA is delivering their slot requests to GAMA around the end of March, so I'm guessing gaming won't even begin to solidify until the beginning of April.

I'd love to see a ton of Shadowrun there... I'm up in the air about attending Origins right now, as I'm really only interested in playing Shadowrun and Heroes of Rokugan.

If I can get half a dozen slots of SRM in, though, I'm there. Probably.

Caine Hazen
So what's the roll-call from here? How many DSers will be making Origins?
the_dunner
QUOTE (Phantastik @ Feb 27 2008, 12:47 AM) *
I'd love to see a ton of Shadowrun there... I'm up in the air about attending Origins right now, as I'm really only interested in playing Shadowrun and Heroes of Rokugan.

If I can get half a dozen slots of SRM in, though, I'm there. Probably.

Good news/Bad news, then:

Good news -- there will be a lot of Shadowrun at Origins. We've submitted a comparable number to last year, when we ran more than 30 tables of SR games.

Bad news -- you won't get half a dozen slots of SRM. CGL will be running adventures from the new story arc (set in NYC), and there will be less than 6 adventures available.
john_doe
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Feb 27 2008, 10:52 AM) *

No Origins for me if i wanna make it to GenCon.

My fundage allows me to do one or the other, but not both.
Phantastik
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Feb 27 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Good news/Bad news, then:

Good news -- there will be a lot of Shadowrun at Origins. We've submitted a comparable number to last year, when we ran more than 30 tables of SR games.

Bad news -- you won't get half a dozen slots of SRM. CGL will be running adventures from the new story arc (set in NYC), and there will be less than 6 adventures available.

Well here's a question then: I fairly recently "discovered" SRM and have about the first 6-7 missions completed (out of 25 in the Denver arc), and it seems improbable that I can get the other 18 or so down by Origins (every gamer in Atlanta basically focuses on either Living Greyhawk (even on its death bed) or Witch Hunter, alas)... so will there be a problem if my character is commuting between NYC and Denver, ie. starting the NYC arc before actual completion of the Denver arc?

the_dunner
QUOTE (Phantastik @ Feb 27 2008, 02:51 PM) *
will there be a problem if my character is commuting between NYC and Denver, ie. starting the NYC arc before actual completion of the Denver arc?

Yes. That would be a rather substantial problem. Just as a Denver character can't go back and play through the SRM01 Seattle adventures, a character who has moved to NYC won't be able to go back and play through the Denver adventures.
paws2sky
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Feb 27 2008, 10:52 AM) *

If all goes well, and we don't have any more disasters here at the house, I expect to be there for at least a day, maybe two.
paws2sky
Any news on the Origins schedule or are they still dragging their feet (as usual)?
the_dunner
We sent stuff into them quite some time ago, but I'm not comfortable posting what we submitted until I know what has and has not made it through their approval process. Their web site still says that they'll be posting the events listing in "the spring."
Adam
I suspect everyone at GAMA is totally busy doing final prep for the GAMA Trade Show [April 20-24 in Vegas] and that we won't see movement on the Origins event list until early to mid May.
CircuitBoyBlue
I can probably make it to Origins, considering it's held in a building connected to the one I work in, and I live about 3 blocks away. I've never played any Shadowrun Missions before, though. Are there any guidelines for making a character that I need to know about, or just the standard 400 point bit?
the_dunner
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ Apr 25 2008, 10:05 AM) *
I've never played any Shadowrun Missions before, though. Are there any guidelines for making a character that I need to know about, or just the standard 400 point bit?

Shadowrun Missions FAQ

There'll be more NYC specific information released sometime in May.
Vagen Karrde
I'll be there this year. Hell, High Water, or Women Scorned.
I'm guessing I'll have to deal with at least one of the three.
paws2sky
FWIW, I bought my badge yesterday, so... I'll be there.

-paws

EDIT: and my wife decided she wants to attend too! woo hoo! Looks like we'll be able to get seated together at 3 of the 4 games. The 4th game was closed, but I'm hoping she can get seated anyway (the games are designed for 8, and the registration only lists 6, so...).
Caine Hazen
It's almost here kids! I'm sure I'll see some of you around the con hall here soon. feel free to say hi to any Mods out there, we won't bite, we promise.
Zarlock
For those of you looking to save soem cash these are for the food court in the convention center

http://www.columbusconventions.com/pdf/coupon.pdf
Bull
*boogie* See some of ya's there!
paws2sky
Any place in particular you guys'll be hanging out?
Adam
I have a hunch that Big Bar on 2 is the most likely place to find them ... wink.gif
Bull
Actually, e have a suite, booze, Rock Band, and a slight desire to play shit smile.gif So we may be up in the room pretty regularly.

We're also gonna try and crash some missions games, so may be around tghere some.
Caine Hazen
Scary to think of life without the Big Bar.. though having the Karaoke up there every nigh tis sure to help drive people away spin.gif

We've run through the dealers room and will be around the Catalyst booth a bit, and IWM. We've been hitting the gaming hall a few times as well. Our nicks are in big black marker on our tags as well, so keep a lookout
john_doe
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 26 2008, 09:55 AM) *
Actually, e have a suite, booze, Rock Band, and a slight desire to play shit smile.gif So we may be up in the room pretty regularly.

We're also gonna try and crash some missions games, so may be around tghere some.

RockBand eh? Makes me wish i was going now...

I can't play at the moment because my drum pedal is dead. Stupid plastic toys...
Bull
Yeah, I'm on my second pedal, and after watching a couple folks stomp on it last night, I'm a little worried about it surviving the weekend.

I've been pondering looking into one of the Drum Pedal mods that are done up using a real kick pedal. They're a bit pricey, especially cnosidering how rarely I get to really play with a group.
paws2sky
Just a quick shout out to the folks who GMed at Origins this year. Thanks!

-paws

PS and of course, to the people writing Missions and, well, everything. It was really refreshing to be on the other side of the GM screen for once (its been a looooong time).
DireRadiant
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 30 2008, 10:01 AM) *
Just a quick shout out to the folks who GMed at Origins this year. Thanks!

-paws

PS and of course, to the people writing Missions and, well, everything. It was really refreshing to be on the other side of the GM screen for once (its been a looooong time).

Must not have been in one of my missions otherwise you wouldn't feel that way. smile.gif
paws2sky
Heh. smile.gif I didn't really get a chance to match any forum names with people sitting at the table, so... not sure what you were running.

Honestly, the only game I felt any genuine frustration with was Burning Bridges, but that didn't really have anything to do with the GMing.

-paws
Caine Hazen
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 30 2008, 12:57 PM) *
Heh. smile.gif I didn't really get a chance to match any forum names with people sitting at the table, so... not sure what you were running.

Hey, some of us were playing as well! I suppose I saw you in there at some point as well and didn't know who you were. Next year we give out special DS stickers so people know each other... yeah, that's the ticket.
paws2sky
That'd be kinda cool, actually.
Bull
Yeah, we need to do something.

Of course, if you're gonna be at Gen Con by any chance, there's always the SRTCG party to come hang at smile.gif
paws2sky
Unfortunately, no GenCon for me. I only have room for one convention in my budget and I live here in the Columbus area, so... Origins is kind of a no-brainer for me.
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Caine Hazen @ Jun 30 2008, 12:07 PM) *
Hey, some of us were playing as well! I suppose I saw you in there at some point as well and didn't know who you were. Next year we give out special DS stickers so people know each other... yeah, that's the ticket.

There's a reason I don't use mine. It's so you don't find me and sit at my table!
Zarlock
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 30 2008, 03:24 PM) *
There's a reason I don't use mine. It's so you don't find me and sit at my table!

Thats ok we will just offer up an auction for your real identity.

Knowing the truth who will start the bidding at 1 d12
Argonnite
Thanks to the GM (I forgot your name, sorry) for running Ready, Set, Gogh. It was the only SRM slot I was able to get into with generics and I had a lot of fun. I was the technomancer who didn't have enough BP left over for a weapon. smile.gif
baburabi
I ran ready set gogh on sat at 1 pm, and block war on friday and sunday at 8 am, not sure who i had in my games other than caine and bull, but it was a good time
Aaron
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Jun 30 2008, 10:57 AM) *

It ain't that hard, for some of us. =i)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012