Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: Down in the Gutter - Second Phase
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Whipstitch
I just go by what the book says rather than rely on the information Knasser once plucked from the aether. Knasser can go on all he wants about mean, median, and mode but meanwhile I'll stick to the shorthand the book provides. It's worth noting as well that the the book's table never says "average" when describing a 3, it says a 3 is typical, so despite what Knasser says you could easily make a strong argument that they meant most people have an attribute of 3 regardless of the rest of his reasoning. It's a moot point anyway, as far as I'm concerned, since I do not believe the game was meant to portray a character with an attribute of 1 or 2 as being unable to function anyway, although it is certainly a marked disadvantage. The whole conversation really belongs in another thread though.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (ES_Sparky @ Mar 25 2008, 11:52 AM) *
Bearclaw - would you consider Rico having been a part of the Brickhouse Boys? They were an aspiring chop-gang. Seems fitting. Plus, I was thinking of making my PC (a troll rigger) from the Brickhouse and then we'd have a nice cluster of survivors. I'm not too sure about that peacoat business, though... biggrin.gif

That works for me. Rico's number 1 priority is biz, and the Brickhouse Boys seem to have been much bettter at that than the Corsairs.
Yea, I'd have to do some thinking to make the Pea-coat thing work into the picture I've got in my head. I guess it being heavily lined with armor won't mess up the look much.
Spike
Yay! More 'Boys!... Woot! smile.gif

On another topic, I was vaguely thinking of posting a couple NPC ideas, no connection to Maus, but as I'm not sure how they'd mesh with the landscape I want to run them by someone before just posting them to the wiki.

Got an approval process for stuff like that?
Vegas
Spike

Go ahead and post NPC ideas here, really I think almost anything flew back when we were creating them. We can give the final yay/nay and have you post them on the wiki NPC page after that.

Ikim

We'd like to give you a chance to build Alex up on the wiki. If you'd go and apply for membership I'll approve you and build pages for Alex for you to start filling out, or get help with filling them out.
lkim
Honestly, I'm not familiar with the wiki space. Can I just post it on here?
Vegas
Ikim

Go ahead and PM everything to me and I'll work on getting everything up on the wiki.

You'll need to have:
Stats
Background (the 30-questions)
Gear (with availabilities and costs)
Takes on all the gangers and other Kingsgate gangs

Your pages will be built Here when I'm done with them.
Dantic
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 25 2008, 12:59 PM) *
Dantic

Thanks for the offer for stepping up to the plate to help with Matrix rules and possibly the Matrix GM position. I know WR1 will take it under advisement and consider your offer.
Also, are you done retooling/tweaking Twiggs? If so we'll re-check him and get him in the queue for final approval as well. biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Yes, done updating what was requested, fixed some spelling and grammer errors (my little mini OCD/anal thing) no mechanics changed, all stats, gear etc. are the same, mostly just added to background.
Bearclaw
OK, I'm a little confused as to how I meet up with this new gang. Do we all just happen to be in the same bar on November 1, or does the word go out that Legion is claiming the same territory he used to run, and is looking for gangers to help him run it, or what?

My picture on myself on November 1 is walking out of the clinic with a new scar on my chest, hopping on my hog, and trying to figure out where to score a quick 2 large so I can get a new deck, some product and get back in business. If there's a new power forming on the street, I wanna be in on the ground floor, but I can't wait for other people to get organized before I'm earning again.
Spike
Okay, I'll spoiler them up, though we've shown that my ability to spoiler is limited at best... (speaking of: how DO you get multiple spoiler lines? All I can do is nest them...)

Zulu Betty and Mahdi Junior...

[ Spoiler ]
Vegas
Bearclaw

You don't have to worry about being introduced to the gang... WR1 will be responsible for bringing your character into the game in some fashion. Of course the character needs to be finished on the wiki and approved by him before that's going to happen, so it's incentive to get your sheets done so you can get into the game smile.gif

ALL NEW PLAYERS

Guys, the Friday deadline DOES NOT APPLY to you. You do not have to tell us where your character will be at the timestop, WinterRat1 is responsible for bringing your PC into the game in any way shape or form that he chooses.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 25 2008, 02:12 PM) *
Bearclaw

You don't have to worry about being introduced to the gang... WR1 will be responsible for bringing your character into the game in some fashion. Of course the character needs to be finished on the wiki and approved by him before that's going to happen, so it's incentive to get your sheets done so you can get into the game smile.gif

ALL NEW PLAYERS

Guys, the Friday deadline DOES NOT APPLY to you. You do not have to tell us where your character will be at the timestop, WinterRat1 is responsible for bringing your PC into the game in any way shape or form that he chooses.

That's all you need to say!
Dantic
Just a heads up for my fellow gangers.

Rico is too tall for an Ork, unless he's just freakishly tall.

Maus is also a freak, which from your background/concept, that's what your aiming for, but you might want to make your character description reflect that a little more, you say he's a giant of a man, but I don't think that quite accuratly captures what you see when you look at a man who is 6'4" tall and weighs in excess of 300 lbs eek.gif that's heavy enough to be playing professional football as a lineman, and those guys are not chisled muscle.

Everybody wants their character to stand out from the crowd, but you guys may stand out in a not-so-good way. Just my two nuyen.gif worth. grinbig.gif
Spike
Well, In Maus's case he DID start out, conceptually, as an Adept.

More: He spent his formative years as a 'fighting dog'... you seen what real dogfight dogs do for training? That's some crazy stuff...

Then again, while i'm all over the top describing him, without magic or cyber, or any guns/real armor, he's probably pretty dang fragile... If there was a 'distinctive' flaw, I would have taken it and not felt at all guilty.... though taking exceptional strength would have been a possibility (damn! Should have done that after the adept thing collapsed!!!! ah well... maybe next character...)
Slipshade
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 25 2008, 12:18 PM) *
Damnit I've gone over those numbers five times!!! I'll go over them again, see what I missed. GRrrr...

There is a reason he doesn't have an OS... check his negative qualities. He's not retarded, no, but he is essentially mimicking the behavior of people around him. People have commlinks, so he has a commlink. It doesn't do much for him, but damnit, he's got it. nyahnyah.gif

I'm not sure why the takes are bugging me so much. I've looked at almost everyone's characters for ideas on what to do, but somehow the takes just slide right on by. I'll make sure to check Grack's closer.

I'll edit the specializations. Gimmee a sec, I'm juggling. I think I only left one default skill in (first aid) because I thought it was likely to come up.

EDIT:::: Got it. I spent the right amount, I just put the wrong number int he bottom row for willpower (wrote 30bp when I spent 20... no idea how that happened. Whew.. thought I'd have to sacrifice something there...)

Spike,

I think Dantic was having a similar problem with takes. It helps sometimes to put in a short character quote and then a longer out of character description as to how Maus would actually act around each individual. Some will likely annoy him, others he would see as an alpha to him and some he may see as pups or mates and that would really change his attitude.

It also helps to thing about how he would think about these people after knowing them for say...a month. That is what I did, when I made my takes.

Always remember that takes are not set in stone! We expect them to change and be updated periodically on the wiki.

Hope that helps a bit.

WinterRat1
Okay, I'll spoiler them up, though we've shown that my ability to spoiler is limited at best... (speaking of: how DO you get multiple spoiler lines? All I can do is nest them...)

Zulu Betty and Mahdi Junior...

Spike - I don't know if you missed it or no one told you or whatever, but one of the key guidelines in creating NPCs is not to make ones that materially affect the game world on a large scale.

While I don't have a problem with the ideas behind your NPCs, at this point in the game introducing them would effectively mean suddenly entire regions in Kingsgate (Betty's three block haven and Mahdi's Troll Town) just sprung up out of nowhere. If they did exist, they are large enough that they should have been impacting the game and the story all along, which they obviously did not.

If you had done this during the game setup phase I might have run with it. Now though, introducing either NPC and their associated organizations would dramatically impact the balance of power, and more problematically, should have impacted the balance of power throughout the history of the game.

Bottom line is, I will sadly have to reject two ideas that are perfectly fine, but due to the timing involved aren't really feasible in our current setting.

If you're going to make NPCs, always ask yourself if it makes sense that character hasn't played a role in Kingsgate so far; if the answer is no, then that character is too big and won't be viable to introduce at this stage of the game.

Thanks much for the effort, you did a good job, and I look forward to seeing what else you come up with! smile.gif
Spike
I put in really brief statements, best I could summon from a breif overview of the characters on the wiki. Since so far none are Brickhouse Boys all he'd probably know is what he can see/might have heard, so it's quick takes only for now.

He's not exactly a deep thinker, more of a gut reaction type (stats do reflect that, oddly enough....) and I figure once he's pegged someone that's it. He doesn't think too much of why or how, this guy is a boss, that one isn't. Without the context of play, history, in most cases it reflects how he'd react just in general. Women are purely periphrial, they exist as whores, as sexual objects of the moment, but beyond that they just don't register. Since he's not an order giver, anyone beneath him (even perceptually) also fails to register. Its the equals and the alphas, even if its just in his mind, that matter.

Anyway, I'll do some thinking on the whole... maybe lighten up on the background. Maybe, if I can see how I'd do it*, I'll actually go with the 'exceptional attribute' thing. I've got time, yeah? A slight shuffle of attributes wouldn't be totally amiss.

*Strength OR Body are viable choices, probably sacrificing points from Reaction and/or agility. I actually like his mental stats the way they are. Also, depending on comments from the peanut gallery I could defintely see reducing Gracie and Tock to people he knows. They could be useful or useless... either way. Either way I don't see them much as 'contacts'... though again, I've struggled with the entire 'street level' contact thing here already, so I could be a lost lamb bleeting in the wilderness here. If people like him as is... :shrug:

EDIT:::: I expected that, Winter, thats why I ran them through here first. Technically, in Redmond Mahdi Junior is a nobody... Trolltown is in Puyallup, but yeah (and three blocks seemed awefully small to me, but honestly, other than the name Zulu Betty was entirely improv... though the idea of an elf transexual seems amusingly offbeat....). I could alter them to make them less impactful (though, what exactly Zulu Betty does, other than amuse me, I still have no idea. Information broker? Colorful freak? ) and Mahdi Junior could just be DREAMING of making a troll town... Damn, now I've gone and got all attached to them. smile.gif
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 25 2008, 02:49 PM) *
Just a heads up for my fellow gangers.

Rico is too tall for an Ork, unless he's just freakishly tall.
Everybody wants their character to stand out from the crowd, but you guys may stand out in a not-so-good way. Just my two nuyen.gif worth. grinbig.gif

For weight, I went with the old 25 kilos per body point. For height, I just made him tall enough that he wouldn't be fat at that weight. And he's only 16% over average, which is far from "Freakish"
Slipshade
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 25 2008, 03:47 PM) *
He's not exactly a deep thinker, more of a gut reaction type (stats do reflect that, oddly enough....) and I figure once he's pegged someone that's it. He doesn't think too much of why or how, this guy is a boss, that one isn't. Without the context of play, history, in most cases it reflects how he'd react just in general. Women are purely periphrial, they exist as whores, as sexual objects of the moment, but beyond that they just don't register. Since he's not an order giver, anyone beneath him (even perceptually) also fails to register. Its the equals and the alphas, even if its just in his mind, that matter.

Ok all of that could be said with slight tweaks for individuals.

I can tell you that you will need to add more before you are actually accepted. Nobody gets away with...my character just doesn't register them. smile.gif

I can tell you that Baby and Nevada will register with you, because neither of them sit around and let anyone get over on them. So they will make an impression one way or another. smile.gif Like them or not. If he thinks they are whores...that is all well and good. Put it down on your take. "Just another whore like that other one. This one just has blond hair." That is a perfect quote! Then add a little out of character stuff.

If you are having trouble with a take read everything about that other character that they have put in their background and in the IC thread.

It it helps think of yourself as the lowest on the totem pole. That will mean everyone registers.
Spike
Oh, I'm not suggesting that they wouldn't register once he got to know them, at least on some level. The problem is, would he have noticed them at all as individuals prior to joining up (which is where he's currently at: In limbo).

Like I said, I think I need to lighten the tone of his presented psychology a bit, put more room in the mental filing cabinet. Right now the depiction is a bit overly simplistic.

If you want my take, based off what Maus wouldn't know: Nevada seems to be doing her best to stradle that line that confuses him, she's a whore who wants to be taken seriously, give orders and move up. Unlike the heartbreakers he can't just hand wave her away and not think about it because she'll be right there doing it, to him even possibly.

Baby just falls into the catagory of potentially useful small fragile things that are alternatively protected (family), used (most everyone else), ignored (when not being used or protected) or hurt (when told to, if not family).

I've got a day or two to polish up the psychology of Maus, remove the rough edges and make him a better fit, but ideally, if you want to make Maus think of you as something other than a small fragile thing, GREAT! Make him, thats something of the point with him. His limited worldview, and avoidance behavior SHOULD be challenged.

Right now I'm trying to read up all the IC stuff, the character backgrounds (always working from the perspective of 'what is obvious to outsiders) and such for a dozen characters or more... gimmee some time to get more than a line or two (from a taciturn golem at that...) smile.gif
Dantic
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Mar 25 2008, 06:50 PM) *
For weight, I went with the old 25 kilos per body point. For height, I just made him tall enough that he wouldn't be fat at that weight. And he's only 16% over average, which is far from "Freakish"

What old 25 kilo per point? news to me, and a human male at 16% over average height would be nearly 6'9" okay, how far from freakish is that? guess it's relative as to how much time you spend around other pro bastketball players? My main point was, that you would really stand out like a sore thumb, but that may be what you want. rotate.gif
Dantic
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 25 2008, 07:14 PM) *
Oh, I'm not suggesting that they wouldn't register once he got to know them, at least on some level. The problem is, would he have noticed them at all as individuals prior to joining up (which is where he's currently at: In limbo).

None of us have gotten to know them IC (as some of us aren't IC yet) which is why it's been suggested to look over posts and the wiki, then write the takes as though you've known everyone for at least a month. grinbig.gif
Spike
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 25 2008, 06:02 PM) *
None of us have gotten to know them IC (as some of us aren't IC yet) which is why it's been suggested to look over posts and the wiki, then write the takes as though you've known everyone for at least a month. grinbig.gif

I'm a terrible prognosticator. Heck, three or four 'sessions' into the game I may decide Maus's character growth is going to be completely different than what I've predicted so far. Games tend to go like that for me...

Vegas
I'm in complete agreement with what Slipshade has been saying and trying to get you all to open up a bit more and get creative.

I do have to say however I'm utterly amused with the fact that everyone still brands 'Vada as a whore, though she hasn't turned tricks consistently in over 2 years... I guess once branded, always branded smile.gif So really Spike your perception of her isn't THAT far off even for Maus IC'ly. biggrin.gif Just letting you know you've got some leeway to play with the takes. You can go the route of reading the IC, looking over CS's and "futurecasting" your takes of that character as if they had been in the gang.. otherwise, it is somewhat of a cop out for those people not starting with the Ravens to just say over and over "Don't know em' yet" Really when the game started, a number of us that came from outsider gangs didn't know any more about the other PC's that characters starting now... we just made it up and adjusted it as we played. We expect the same from you guys.
Spike
Well, if it helps, my understanding is that most prostitutes don't turn tricks 'consistently' either. Its an on again, off again business unless you are some poor damned soul snatched off a plane and locked in a house for the rest of your short, miserable life.

I've been working on it, I swear. I think everyone has at least one line now... its a start.

I just take a bit to get warmed up to people, even made up people.
Dantic
QUOTE (Slipshade @ Mar 25 2008, 06:27 PM) *
I think Dantic was having a similar problem with takes.

QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 25 2008, 08:18 PM) *
I do have to say however I'm utterly amused with the fact that everyone still brands 'Vada as a whore, though she hasn't turned tricks consistently in over 2 years...

I definitely need to add to Twiggs' takes, help clarify some on his underlying motivations, will work on that tomorrow, other than that char is still ready for re-re-ummm... you get the point, review, so don't feel that you are being left behind or that by any measure that your character is finished, or over detailed, these guys mean it when they say they want a lot of character development before approving. I'm still hanging in there. rotate.gif
Whipstitch
Yeah, ready to go here as well. Although, I was flipping through Street Magic the other day, and noticed they have a 100 nuyen price tag attached to talismans I didn't notice before tucked waaaay back in the Gear Index. Kind of annoying, since the quality led me to believe it's an item of rather nebulous value that may or may not be replaceable depending on what you work out with your GM. Guess I'll have to go through and cut back on my Armored Jacket's modifications in order to pay for it. An easy tweak and barely noteworthy, thankfully.
WinterRat1
I'll be looking over your characters Wednesday or Thursday, possibly as late as Friday. If Vegas and Slipshade cleared you, I expect there to be no problems. So by all means, get everything in order so after I review you I can write you into the game ASAP.
Slipshade
Spike

I home you didn't misunderstand. Any take Maus would have on Baby, Nevada or anyone else, good or bad is great.

What you wrote a few posts back on how you THINK Maus would see Baby and Nevada are great places to start and add it to your takes. That is what we are looking for. Take those couple of sentences and add a couple more and you will have a great take.

Takes are fun because they have no basis in fact! It is all perception.

Nevada - Baby doesn't think you're a whore in the professional sense, just that you slept your way to the top nyahnyah.gif But if you keep being all nice to her, I am gonna have to change my take on her anyway. smile.gif
Spike
Well, I've essentially doubled the length of my existing takes, and left no take untaken. I know its not a lot but I'm very much an 'in play' type. I can fake it for single characters like Maus by writing, good bad or indifferently, but when I start infringing on other people characters the value of writing rapidly diminishes. I'm having a really hard time with several of the characters (legion, for example) for reasons I can't quite articulate, and others for the same reason we've gone over: Non-combatants just don't register much.

Anyway, I'll spend some skull sweat tonight on it. I'm already failing in that the short clipped tones are distinctly Mausian, but the vocabulary is entirely mine. Maybe if I start really working into Mausian speech patterns I'll get a bit better 'takes' than this weird hybrid I've already used.

Also: I'm very strongly drawn to a reworking of him to include exceptional attribute and aptitude, while pushing the focus more towards 'unarmed combat'. I'm still undecided if I want to making him strong or tough (though with tough it'd likely see no 'aptitude', as I'd like to then keep the 'tough' quality... Amazing, I know), which I think would fit the description/concept more.

Unless I hear that its a bad idea I'll knock that out tomorrow early, and I'll remove the excess 'story' to avoid infringing on GM turf.

I do think spending his entire life as a pit fighter would qualify him for specialization in Unarmed, but as he's already freakish enough I'll sigh quietly and pretend that the option never existed...wink.gif

At least I will be able to look dantic in the eye and say 'yeah, he IS supposed to be that big' and actually mean it.
WinterRat1
I do think spending his entire life as a pit fighter would qualify him for specialization in Unarmed, but as he's already freakish enough I'll sigh quietly and pretend that the option never existed...

You can specialize in Unarmed, as long as the bonus doesn't put you over a total dice pool of 4 (with that skill only, not counting the attribute or other mods) and there's actually a limiting factor. So 'Martial Arts' doesn't count, but you could say 'Offensive' or 'Defensive' or 'Subdual', for example.
Spike
QUOTE (WinterRat1 @ Mar 25 2008, 09:29 PM) *
You can specialize in Unarmed, as long as the bonus doesn't put you over a total dice pool of 4 (with that skill only, not counting the attribute or other mods) and there's actually a limiting factor. So 'Martial Arts' doesn't count, but you could say 'Offensive' or 'Defensive' or 'Subdual', for example.

Yeah, actually, that's in there (subdual specifically), up to four. For some reason whenever I read the character generation rules I see the dimly offered olive branch of going over four 'with a good reason'... but all things being equal I think that means 'yeah right'... or I imagined things in my fevered little mind.

Anyway, I've put my retooling ideas to 'paper' in the discussion tab of my character sheet. They are not horrifically extreme (not like making an adept a non-adept) and I'm pretty sure their legal changes, and they fit the concept as good/better than the current incarnation. If I don't hear otherwise I'll probably make the actual changes in the morning.

I'm just so damn... I'm a character tuner. That's what I am. Thank god its cheaper than doing it to my car, and easier on the insurance....

<insert random obscure movie quote-joke that no one gets, even me>

I'm Alive!

<end quote>

But I should probably just shut up and sit tight, quietly twiddling my thumbs while I wait to actually get started instead. sleepy.gif

EDIT::: Added an all important NOT to a sentence.
Eyeless Blond
Okay, a few takes done, some more IC stuff written.

Jeez, how do the rest of you write so darn fast? smile.gif
lkim
I got some questions while I was doing some math for the character.

1. What skills governs the counterfeiting credsticks and what would I need? And is counterfeiting credsticks have creds in it? If so, how much?
2. What skills governs the production of BTL and what tool would I need?
3. What kind of programs would I need for either production?
4. What would be, basically, rule for making counterfeiting credsticks and BTL? If any rules are there can you tell me? Or better yet, post it on the Wiki?
5. Is gangs from different gang could be contacts? ie. gang from Lotus or Heartbreakers?
6. How useful are contacts with rating 1 for contact? ie. gangs from other group whom I have done some biz in the past or currently
7. Even gang contacts have rating of 1 for contact, would I be able to get, may be some name and stuff, from the same gang?

PS. Thanks for letting me joining the game, by the way. smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
Rules for counterfeiting (such as they are) are on p. 124-125. They are, perhaps unsurprisingly, mostly GM discretion.

(Edit): Oh, and page 259, for more details on credsticks and ID.
lkim
Note that some forgeries will require additional skill tests in order to pull them off; the quality of the forgery (hits scored) will
be limited by the complementary skill hits.

Now, what would be the complementary skills? Hacking, probably, but it could also be hardware, maybe. And what's the TN and stuff?

Bogus credsticks are especially vulnerable to detection; once either the original or copy has been used, verification systems will detect the anomaly as soon as the other is used, immediately flagging all transactions with either stick and preventing either from being used again until the situation is cleared up.

Hmm, this is somewhat weird. If I make a fake credsticks, but never have used it, it still flag all the transactions from the original? Shouldn't it be once the fake credsticks is used, then it may alert the original provider? Depending if fake credsticks lose the roll for the detection by the reader?
Neuntöter
Well, this is only how i read that quoted paragraph, but hey maybe i am actually right.

It sounds as if counterfeiting credsticks is basically cracking their inscription and then copying them.
so, as soon as both the fake and the original start being in circulation (and leave their separate data trails) the verification systems will pick up on it. With the anomaly being the fact that two identical credstick IDs are in existence.
Vegas
lkim

This is all MY interpretation of the rules, WR1's may vary and he of course has the "only opinion that matters" biggrin.gif

As far as duplicated credsticks go, my interpretation of the rules would be once the sticks are in play after the original has been copied and they're being used they'll instantly be flagged as an anomaly because if you use one stick with the ID in Touristville and say someone uses the original 10 minutes later in Tacoma, it's gonna raise flags regardless of if it "fools" the detection of the reader. Id go so far as to say that if you had a brand new "Clean" stick that hadn't been used and copied it and used it, and never used the original that MIGHT be a different situation, until you tried to use the original when the cred on the copy was gone.... Because you can't just create money out of nothing by "forging" a credstick with nuyen on it, you're forging a COPY of an existing stick. If you're trying to create money out of nothing, I'd say that's a much more "complicated" process of hacking involved with trying to hack a bank and insert an account and make it look legit enough to not be caught or detected.

As far as TN's for forgery of any type they're going to vary all the time depending on just what you're trying to forge and with how much detail.

For the contact rating question, are you talking connection (because a 1 wouldn't be too connected) or loyalty? A loyalty 1 character would be pretty hit or miss as to whether you can count on the person coming through for you or heck, even accepting your call smile.gif Would depend if they need/want the cash or the IOU in the future. Doesn't mean that you can't get something out of them, but it's not a guaranteed transaction by any means (IMHO).

To create BTL's your going to need at LEAST a simrig (which would be your ONE up to Avail 12 item) if you wish to purchase it. Beyond that I'm not 100% certain all that's involved with production based off existing gear in the books so I can't be so much help there.
WinterRat1
Yeah, actually, that's in there (subdual specifically), up to four. For some reason whenever I read the character generation rules I see the dimly offered olive branch of going over four 'with a good reason'... but all things being equal I think that means 'yeah right'... or I imagined things in my fevered little mind.

‘With a good reason’ is code for: I may consider allowing Exception X, but you have to REALLY impress me before I’ll allow it. Is it possible? Certainly. Is it going to be allowed for just anyone who just writes, ‘but my character spent his whole life doing X and is world class in Y as a result!’ No.

As you may have guessed from the recruitment standards, I don’t impress easily. smile.gif

But it is possible, and if someone does it, I’m willing to consider making exceptions for truly exceptional characters. I’ve done it in the past and I’d be willing to do so again.

And just in case anyone is suddenly thinking about going for an exception, note in advance that the recruitment standards with respects to background are frankly just par for the course in my games. So going above and beyond means if you don’t have pages of detailed life history, and I mean detailed, don’t even waste your time. And it has to be good. A good starting point would have been for me to read your concept, and then your 30 Questions, and immediately have been absolutely bowled over.

It’s not being elitist; it’s simply pragmatism on my part. Everyone and their monkey’s uncle can and will come up with any number of reasons why their character should get an exception on something, so if it is truly that much an essential part of the character, I’m going to make you prove it by making you WORK. If you aren’t willing to put in the work, then obviously you didn’t want it that badly and it’s not that much a part of your character.

Regarding BTL’s and Counterfeiting – I get the feeling some of you think producing BTLs is an easy, simple task. There is an entire underground INDUSTRY based on producing both of these things because it’s not easy or cheap. Can you produce a BTL with just a simrig, some actors and other random tech? Or make a fake ID by whiting out your birthday and writing in a new one?

Sure, in the same way you can make a movie with a handheld video camera and slap it up on YouTube. It might be a ‘movie’, but there’s a world of difference between what you put together in your parents’ basement and what hits the theatres. There’s no problem if this is a part of your concept, just be aware of what exactly you’re shooting for here. Specifically, bottom of the barrel quality. Fortunately, you’re in Kingsgate, and beggars down here can’t be choosers. wink.gif
Spike
H'okay: I've tweaked him as much as I'm gonna tweak him. I've got half a dozen ideas crammed in there, but no matter what, I'm gonna run into caps that keep it from working out, and rather than try to make the most optimal decisions, I'm sticking with the ones that make the most sense for the character.

In short: Maus is as done as I can make him.

I'll keep working on "Takes" and other non-mechanical aspects, naturally but he's as ready as he's gonna get.

I'm Ready for my closeup, Mr. DeMille...
Vegas
Spike

Only one small problem. You're over on gear by 75 nu. Other than that once you get it worked out I'm ready to pass you off to WR1 for final review.
HeySparky
Oh, right, I need to be given an official blessing so folks don't (arbitrarily) think I'm a goofnut trying to do BG work together.

I'll, as I like to do, put feelers out for a better nickname than I can give myself. The concept of my PC is a troll rigger who's done some construction work when he was semi-legit.

EB suggested Dozer, which I like. But I'd be game to hear anybody else's suggestions. He's gonna have been a brickhouse boy (though vocally not on board with the peacoats), Intimidation and Exotic Melee Chainsaw are key skills. He'll have at least a drone at start. Probably a Ford LEBD1, possibly a Doberman.
Spike
Damn! I'll go over the gear again. Worst case senario I give him FOUR sets of cloths instead of 5!

Welcome to the Brickhouse, Sparky! biggrin.gif

But what is with the 'peacoats' thing? Did I miss something somewhere about peacoats?

EDIT::: NVM, found it.
Vegas
Sparky, consider yourself blessed. nyahnyah.gif

Just let us know when Banta is ready for review nyahnyah.gif
Vegas
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 26 2008, 02:54 PM) *
Damn! I'll go over the gear again. Worst case senario I give him FOUR sets of cloths instead of 5!

Welcome to the Brickhouse, Sparky! biggrin.gif

But what is with the 'peacoats' thing? Did I miss something somewhere about peacoats?

I think you just forgot about your useless hunk of electronics called a commlink (with no OS) wink.gif

And the peacoats (the navy wool coats shown here) is something that the original member of the Brickhouse Boys wrote into their background (see the feeder gangs page)
Spike
I just went down the main gear list with a calculator to check my head numbers and I got 2475. The commlink is on the list between the clubs and the ruger. Weird place for it but its there.

twenty dollar question: With no OS is it still a phone? Not that it matters much, but it'd be good to know just how out of touch he actually IS...

Vegas
Spike

my bad, I didn't realize you had it on there twice. It doesn't need to be counted in the "gear" section since you have it below in the commlink section with a price. That's where I got tripped up.

As for if it's still a phone without the OS, I'm gonna say no. Even cellphones of today have an OS in order to run. The OS would physically run the device, all the rest of the goodies as I see it are part of software/hardware packages for the bells and whistles (GPS, elec. wallet, PDA etc.)
WinterRat1
QUOTE ("ES Sparky")
Exotic Melee Chainsaw are key skills.

Gee, what a surprise! nyahnyah.gif
Eyeless Blond
Hm. I'm pondering if Drip could have been working in the Brickhouse's chopshop, dealing with the electrical stuff while cribbing notes on everyone else's handling of the actual vehicles. Sparky likes the idea, but I thought I'd toss it out to the others in Brickhouse to see what they think of the idea.

...I need some friends, man. The only character here with more negative takes than Drip is Grack, and Drip's not even approved yet. smile.gif
Spike
Well, I was about to give my 'Takes' a once over... but last I saw nobody even HAD takes on Maus... is it better to be unloved, or unheard of?

smile.gif

Maus was definitely a chopshop figure. I've put out that he actually lived in the shop. Definitely have to work in how he views the people who actually DROVE stuff. My instinct is 'necessary evil' but if I followed that I'd just be digging myself deeper in the hole on takes.... nyahnyah.gif
lkim
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 26 2008, 07:19 AM) *
Ikim

This is all MY interpretation of the rules, WR1's may vary and he of course has the "only opinion that matters" biggrin.gif

As far as duplicated credsticks go, my interpretation of the rules would be once the sticks are in play after the original has been copied and they're being used they'll instantly be flagged

And I'm wondering why. I thought of credsticks are like "gift card," where once it is purchased with the money, it contains the cred or "money" in it. Which mean, credsticks only have to beat the reader's detection.

if you use one stick with the ID in Touristville and say someone uses the original 10 minutes later in Tacoma, it's gonna raise flags regardless of if it "fools" the detection of the reader.

This, with the same reason as above, I disagree. Because, again, credsticks don't transfers the cred from the bank to the seller, but it goes from the cred in the credsticks to the seller.

create money out of nothing by "forging" a credstick with nuyen on it, you're forging a COPY of an existing stick. If you're trying to create money out of nothing, I'd say that's a much more "complicated" process of hacking involved with trying to hack a bank and insert an account and make it look legit enough to not be caught or detected.

I agree.

As far as TN's for forgery of any type they're going to vary all the time depending on just what you're trying to forge and with how much detail.

Counterfeiting credsticks are probably, and most likely, very time consuming. I was wondering the threshold and the period. Credsticks are pretty complex or even intricate device, so I would think that the threshold would be somewhere between 8-12? And, I'm guessing here, about 1 week period? Of course, like you said, it's WR1's final decision.

For the contact rating question, are you talking connection (because a 1 wouldn't be too connected) or loyalty? A loyalty 1 character would be pretty hit or miss as to whether you can count on the person coming through for you or heck, even accepting your call smile.gif Would depend if they need/want the cash or the IOU in the future. Doesn't mean that you can't get something out of them, but it's not a guaranteed transaction by any means (IMHO).

I was thinking of like contact 1/loyalty 2 contacts. I was thinking of around 5-6 ganger contacts from the various gangs whom I have somewhat regular interaction by me selling BTL/credsticks. They are lowest or lower rank in the gang, but they too know where someone higher ups are at or what are their motives or plans of their gang. Not extensively to every detail, but they might have heard the rumors within the gang.

Reason for asking this is that since I have been around the Redmond for least 10 years or so, moving here to there, by my background, I was wondering if I could work in the gang as reconnaissance personal, acting as if I still don't have any gang affiliation? (Which in that case, I'll have to drop some skills or stat to make BP for Social skills, but that's ok, I guess).

To create BTL's your going to need at LEAST a simrig (which would be your ONE up to Avail 12 item) if you wish to purchase it. Beyond that I'm not 100% certain all that's involved with production based off existing gear in the books so I can't be so much help there.

Yeah, I was reading books, but couldn't find any rules for it either.

Well, thanks for the answer, if you get the final words from WR1, you'll post it right? smile.gif

OH! by the way, it's LKIM in lower case, not ikim.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012