Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: Down in the Gutter - Second Phase
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Spark
Hey there guys. Late comer I know, but I've been reading and researching this particular thread for about 2 weeks now just to make sure I could come up with something truly fun for the group. First question though is it too late to have a toon in here? I've already looked over the rules and such, (in fact most of the PC's character sheets as well) and wanted to see if i could toss my guy into the Mix.

Anyways here goes. Take a look if you want, don't if you can't take more people but I think its good for what its worth. biggrin.gif

[ Spoiler ]

Also got my character sheet mostly done if this goes through, in order to speed up the approval process.

oh damn sry i posted this then went back to the front of the thread and realized you guys closed this last night. well gl anyways. biggrin.gif
WinterRat1
Havok - I understand killing to survive; even the gang's resident moralist (and probably one of the most moral people in the entire Kingsgate area) Shade has learned sometimes you have to kill to survive.

There's no problem if you say your character learned to fight and kill rather than run away just to survive, that pretty much sums up most of the gangers in Kingsgate.

Perhaps it's like you said, you simply came across wrong, because from our (Vegas, Slipshade, and myself) point of view, Sly was a ruthless killer who'd kill you as soon as look at you, which is what we had a problem with.

As long as we're clear on what is and is not ok regarding Sly's attitude towards killing, that is a major step in the right direction.
Havok
QUOTE (WinterRat1 @ Apr 4 2008, 01:41 PM) *
Perhaps it's like you said, you simply came across wrong, because from our (Vegas, Slipshade, and myself) point of view, Sly was a ruthless killer who'd kill you as soon as look at you, which is what we had a problem with.

I definately came across wrong then nyahnyah.gif I never intended him to be that cold, ruthless killer that you guys saw. I wanted him to be capable of being that person if the situation called for it instead of crapping his pants just because a firefight broke out nyahnyah.gif Truth is he's still just a kid, and trying to find his place just like everyone else.
Havok
Do you guys want me to rework my character history and post it again?
Slipshade
Yeah, that way we have it up to date and we don't have to go searching or make assumptions on what is most current.
Slipshade
Spark,

We don't want you to be left out by a deadline that you never knew about.

We have talked about your concept and would like you to tighten it up some more. We can see the pimp and drug or BTL pusher going hand in hand, but adding on production and learning medicine to be a bit much. Maybe a point or two of first aid would make sense.

Oh, and we already have a gang member that goes by Tag. smile.gif

Spark
QUOTE (Slipshade @ Apr 5 2008, 03:35 PM) *
Spark,

We don't want you to be left out by a deadline that you never knew about.

We have talked about your concept and would like you to tighten it up some more. We can see the pimp and drug or BTL pusher going hand in hand, but adding on production and learning medicine to be a bit much. Maybe a point or two of first aid would make sense.

Oh, and we already have a gang member that goes by Tag. smile.gif

lol orly? 0.o i swear i missed that one. biggrin.gif And that sounds cool on the production end, just didn't want to push in on peoples turf. Ditto on the first aid. My purpose in that type of intro had been to have an undercover way to introduce what in the near future would amount to a combat medic and a monetary source for the gang in the latter sections. Also never meant to go for the medicine angle etc, it was strictly first aid.

So Ive retooled his concept a bit, cut out the cooking skills, reduced his FA and replaced it with skills focused on BSing and or forcing his way out of trouble.

Heres the new concept intro:

[ Spoiler ]

And the character sheet you can look over (in order to make the deadline of tonight)

[ Spoiler ]

Ill flesh out the contacts etc if i get approval for the character/concept . cheers.
Dantic
@Spark Not ganging up here, just letting you know, look at some of the responses to past concepts in this thread, and history will bear out.

You have too many weapons, we are not armed to the teeth here, submissions have been commented on for this quite recently. Novacoke allergy is also likely to be shot down, I'd consider changing that before having the GMs look at it. The reason I say this, is that they are very particular about negative qualities having a real in game impact. If you can reasonably argue that Novacocke is a common substance that you might have a reaction too, then you can probably keep it, but you can't just say that you have a common allergy to something you can completly avoid. Now if you were addicted to Nova instead of Cram...
Spark
QUOTE (Dantic @ Apr 6 2008, 11:48 AM) *
@Spark Not ganging up here, just letting you know, look at some of the responses to past concepts in this thread, and history will bear out.

You have too many weapons, we are not armed to the teeth here, submissions have been commented on for this quite recently. Novacoke allergy is also likely to be shot down, I'd consider changing that before having the GMs look at it. The reason I say this, is that they are very particular about negative qualities having a real in game impact. If you can reasonably argue that Novacocke is a common substance that you might have a reaction too, then you can probably keep it, but you can't just say that you have a common allergy to something you can completly avoid. Now if you were addicted to Nova instead of Cram...

yeah i was thinking i had too many but it was quite late at night too nyahnyah.gif. one thing though im a drug dealer/ pimp and so i thought that would have tons of fun little ops for novacoke to come in contact with me. But yeah im not married to it and was considering changing it and some of the gear anyways.

one thing also as ive been reading through the IC posting etc im seeing smartlinks pop up all over the place on the same characters that have other items with avail over 6. am i misreading the book when it says smartlink increases avail by +4? i made a big mistake not taking smarts to my eyes if thats the case (and in fact was one of the sources of money for more guns than i should really have). Gonna redo the gear list a bit i think to account for your pointers there dantic.

ok heres the list of changes so you dont have to wade through a whole new character sheet:

1. I changed the allergy to soy based foods? is that acceptable in that to avoid it ill have to trek through tons of suck times territory and/or just plain out not be able to do it at times due to the gangs needs.
2. got rid of the AK-97 and its ammo.
3. Increased the cost i paid for 2 days of food (thus paying for real food) for me and my 2 girls (6 days total of real food).
4. lost the taser and ammo.
5. added a survival kit.
6.upped the trauma patch number by 1.
7.increased rounds of the hk by 3 clips.
8. converted the 1410 nuyen remaining into drugs etc biggrin.gif
(2 doses of Kamikaze 800/2F
3 doses of Novacoke 240/2F
4 doses of Cram 320/2F
1 dose of Ripper 50/-)

hehe realized that i was using the kingsgate prices for drugs and not the character start version... oh happy days my guy gets to have MORE drugs to sell biggrin.gif a better day for all concerned smile.gif. drugs help dimplomacy no? vegm.gif
Spike
Just a quick note: Regretably Maus (and I) will not be continuing in the Gutter. I struggled too hard with the medium and overreacted to events, so by mutual decsision I am out.

Play on!

Vegas
QUOTE (Spark @ Apr 6 2008, 03:27 PM) *
one thing also as ive been reading through the IC posting etc im seeing smartlinks pop up all over the place on the same characters that have other items with avail over 6. am i misreading the book when it says smartlink increases avail by +4? i made a big mistake not taking smarts to my eyes if thats the case (and in fact was one of the sources of money for more guns than i should really have). Gonna redo the gear list a bit i think to account for your pointers there dantic.

Define "smartlinks pop up all over the place on the same characters that have other items over Avail. 6" Because on my check only one character has a smartlink.smile.gif Other players have skinlinks, a totally different item. Also some of these characters did a LOT of work to set this game up and the possibility of obtaining an additional high avail. item may have been part of their reward for their work instead of additional BP's or other rewards. While I do encourage you to look at the other characters, there are many caveats to the original core group of players gear/stats etc. Some have spent karma or BP awards that would not equal your starting 310 points. Just giving you a heads up so you don't feel as if we're making exceptions for everyone but you smile.gif

But to answer your question, yes the book is correct and you are not misreading it, smartlink does increase avail. by +4 when adding them to glasses/goggles/contacts but it's a flat 8R when modding cyber eyes.

QUOTE (Spark @ Apr 6 2008, 03:27 PM) *
ok heres the list of changes so you dont have to wade through a whole new character sheet:

Thanks for the heads up, keep track of them and if we get you pages on the wiki, you'll be putting the CS up there for review by us when you have him complete and the concept is approved.
BiffKun
Having some trouble with the history. I'm really trying to get into character as a bottom-feeder joining a gang for protection and family, and I'm having to work away from the whole idea of Shadowrunning. It's hard but I think the extra time put in will be worth it. I'm totally changing the feel and he'll probably be a lot more like you originally envisioned him, sneaky guy who likes to fight "dirty" or sneaky, as it were. Does whatever he can to survive. I'll have a completed history up by tonight though.

Edit: Whoops, forgot to sign out. This is Havok.
Havok
Ok heres the new history hehe. And I wanted to just go ahead and put a preliminary character sheet out there, to avoid any potential problems that may arise with my equipment.

Sly, 3.0
[ Spoiler ]

Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]
Hope this is a better history and hope the character sheet helps some. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as always ^_^
--edit-- Changed post to reflect Dantic's suggestions.
Dantic
Shadowing 4 would cost 16 bp not 20, but it's your points. spin.gif You also might as well spend up the starting nuyen.gif , you paid bp for it, and your actual starting nuyen.gif post creation will be what you roll for, based on lifestyle. I'd specify on your allergy mace, unless you are allergic to getting clubbed in the face with a spikey ball on a stick. rotfl.gif I'd suggest CS/Tear Gas (hate to get hit with it and be allergic too) frown.gif , which is significantly uncommon for day to day exposure, but possible to see, if the law shows up, or even possibly someone like Brute Force
Havok
QUOTE (Dantic @ Apr 6 2008, 08:41 PM) *
Shadowing 4 would cost 16 bp not 20, but it's your points. spin.gif You also might as well spend up the starting nuyen.gif , you paid bp for it, and your actual starting nuyen.gif post creation will be what you roll for, based on lifestyle. I'd specify on your allergy mace, unless you are allergic to getting clubbed in the face with a spikey ball on a stick. rotfl.gif I'd suggest CS/Tear Gas (hate to get hit with it and be allergic too) frown.gif , which is significantly uncommon for day to day exposure, but possible to see, if the law shows up, or even possibly someone like Brute Force

You're right, the cost from 4-5 is 8 bp, not from 3-4. changing sheet
Spark
QUOTE (Vegas @ Apr 6 2008, 05:22 PM) *
Define "smartlinks pop up all over the place on the same characters that have other items over Avail. 6" Because on my check only one character has a smartlink.smile.gif Other players have skinlinks, a totally different item. Also some of these characters did a LOT of work to set this game up and the possibility of obtaining an additional high avail. item may have been part of their reward for their work instead of additional BP's or other rewards. While I do encourage you to look at the other characters, there are many caveats to the original core group of players gear/stats etc. Some have spent karma or BP awards that would not equal your starting 310 points. Just giving you a heads up so you don't feel as if we're making exceptions for everyone but you smile.gif

But to answer your question, yes the book is correct and you are not misreading it, smartlink does increase avail. by +4 when adding them to glasses/goggles/contacts but it's a flat 8R when modding cyber eyes.

Thanks for the heads up, keep track of them and if we get you pages on the wiki, you'll be putting the CS up there for review by us when you have him complete and the concept is approved.

yeah thats what i assumed just wanted to make sure i hadnt missed some key reading. In regards to the character sheet i was well aware of it but posted it for the deadline today smile.gif. Also any other gaping holes in my back story that i missed or is that pretty much what you wanted from me?
HeySparky
QUOTE (Spike @ Apr 6 2008, 05:46 PM) *
Just a quick note: Regretably Maus (and I) will not be continuing in the Gutter. I struggled too hard with the medium and overreacted to events, so by mutual decsision I am out.

Play on!

...What?
Havok
Well Spike, we'll be sorry to see you go frown.gif Hope to see you in another game then. I can definitely understand your inability to mesh with the medium, as a longtime shadowrun player I'm having difficulty with the game concepts as well, but I hope to conquer that soon enough. It's like a personal challenge for me as a roleplayer smile.gif

Vegas, Slipshade, or Winter-Rat 1
I know you guys said "No hand-holding!" but I was wondering what the feasibility of Sly having a crappy little car would be? I was thinking a Honda Spirit. And I know things are starting to pick up in game, so no rush on looking my stuff over. I'd like to be done by the due date just like everyone else so we can start off all at once, but if not that's ok too.
Vegas
Havok

The feasibility of Sly having a car is there. If you've read this thread you know another player was considering a car, and drones and and and... As long as it falls under the availability rules and is logical within reason (no Mitsubishi Nightsky's or Eurocar Westwinds) there shouldn't be issues. However it's been stressed numerous times that any and all gear is fair game for loss. I was going to make the repeat comment about drones, but I noticed you dropped them smile.gif Just keep in mind, even if the car is just a "crappy little" thing, it's still a car and probably more than a good portion of the population of the 'Gate has wink.gif It's the same for any of us that took bikes, or flashy gear.. we're all targets smile.gif
Vegas
QUOTE (Spark @ Apr 7 2008, 12:55 AM) *
yeah thats what i assumed just wanted to make sure i hadnt missed some key reading. In regards to the character sheet i was well aware of it but posted it for the deadline today smile.gif. Also any other gaping holes in my back story that i missed or is that pretty much what you wanted from me?

FYI the deadline is NEXT week 4/13 (and that's currently for the people that have been approved for the wiki only)

Right now time is still at a premium for myself, Slipshade and of course WinterRat1 so we need to touch base with each other and make a decision on the two recent submissions (Yours and Havok's) and go from there. You both have given us a lot to digest and I promise you we will get things taken care of as quickly as we can so that you guys can get things done and get into the game if/when you're accepted smile.gif
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Slipshade @ Apr 4 2008, 11:58 AM) *
Bearclaw

I am ok with passing you on to WinterRat. I would still like you to work on some more of the 30 questions, but you have noted that you are currently doing so. Make sure you finish them up. I like the extra information you have added. I can see more of Rico's character coming through which is what we want.

WR1

He's all yours!

Just in case I got forgotten smile.gif
WinterRat1
Wait, did both Vegas and Slip approve you or just Slip? Clarification from my assistants please?
Vegas
He had been approved by me a while ago, Slip asked for him to flesh out his background questions, which I agreed with and he's done.

Sorry for any confusion WR + Bearclaw.
WinterRat1
Oops, my bad I missed that. Thanks for reminding me then Bearclaw. I will review your PC as soon as I can. Most likely I will introduce you Friday to coordinate your entry into the game with Eyeless's PC (and ideally Sparky's as well, but I'm not sure if she's under the Friday deadline or not) since you're all from the Brickhouse Boys.
Bearclaw
That would be fine with me. Thanks.
lkim
@WR1, Vegas, or any other staffs

I have been working on my character, Alex, on Wiki, but it seems unless we, me and Eye, come up with the rule for effect and production of BTL, my character would be more ineffective in game than effective.

I was wondering if it's possible to make Alex an inactive character until the rules are set, and possibly start the game with other character.
Spark
QUOTE (Vegas @ Apr 7 2008, 08:04 AM) *
FYI the deadline is NEXT week 4/13 (and that's currently for the people that have been approved for the wiki only)

Right now time is still at a premium for myself, Slipshade and of course WinterRat1 so we need to touch base with each other and make a decision on the two recent submissions (Yours and Havok's) and go from there. You both have given us a lot to digest and I promise you we will get things taken care of as quickly as we can so that you guys can get things done and get into the game if/when you're accepted smile.gif

lol oops yeah i realized that about 4 in the am when i went back a few pages. Didn't mean to be gunning it so much >> thought i had a major deadline to even get in lol. Right now im just enjoying reading through the IC posting to see if theres anything i missed for my concept.

cheers
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (lkim @ Apr 7 2008, 10:20 AM) *
@WR1, Vegas, or any other staffs

I have been working on my character, Alex, on Wiki, but it seems unless we, me and Eye, come up with the rule for effect and production of BTL, my character would be more ineffective in game than effective.

I was wondering if it's possible to make Alex an inactive character until the rules are set, and possibly start the game with other character.

As I'm not a GM I can't make any definitive rulings, but, given what's currently going on in the thread itself, I think it's fairly safe to say that we have plenty of time before BTL production itself is anything like a problem. At the most all we'll need to decide is which Active/Knowledge skills would be needed to produce BTLs (I'm assuming Software and Forgery at the minimum for Active skills, maybe Artisan for original work, along with appropriate Knowledges), and we can take our time with the rest. You're not going to be burning a BTL chip tonight, anyway. biggrin.gif
lkim
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 7 2008, 10:21 AM) *
As I'm not a GM I can't make any definitive rulings, but, given what's currently going on in the thread itself, I think it's fairly safe to say that we have plenty of time before BTL production itself is anything like a problem. At the most all we'll need to decide is which Active/Knowledge skills would be needed to produce BTLs (I'm assuming Software and Forgery at the minimum for Active skills, maybe Artisan for original work, along with appropriate Knowledges), and we can take our time with the rest. You're not going to be burning a BTL chip tonight, anyway. biggrin.gif

Well that's the thing though. I need to finish up the character on the Wiki by the 13th, but with the unset rules, I won't know what kind of skills I would need. I did post first version of character sheet, but because of the rule, it may have to be changed, if the rule are not set by the 13th.
Spark
I had a question for when ye old GM's have time (realizing that im not even approved yet)... how much would it cost to get relatively raw units of certain drugs and would that be ok for me to start with? since i see it says 1.5 street price (in the wiki under drug cutting 101) but my character ostensibly had the drugs beforehand (since im getting it from chargen) im wondering if i can go for a middle ground between cannon and the now "current" street price in kingsgate. If this is too much hassle should i just start with loads of the chargen drugs? cause i dont want to throw the game out of balance by coming in with raw units, that, while great for the gang's start up of drug cutting, would give me a super big advantage. If not then i may just put the cash out somewhere else.
Slipshade
I would go with the character gen drugs, if you want to get your character done faster. We don't have time to make up more rules right now for raw units.
Spark
QUOTE (Slipshade @ Apr 7 2008, 04:12 PM) *
I would go with the character gen drugs, if you want to get your character done faster. We don't have time to make up more rules right now for raw units.

yeah kk thats what i thought just wanted to make sure not to step on toes with them. smile.gif
lkim
@Staff

I posted character sheets and other stuff for thr review. I know I have about 2000 nuyen.gif unspent. I left it to buy the starting original BTL for the production.
Vegas
All

Can I please get an update as to where everyone is with their characters for the review process? Please correct me if I'm wrong on your status. I want to get everyone done (and I will be gone most of the weekend before the deadline) so... This is what I've got.. it's quite possibly wrong nyahnyah.gif So let me know

Eyeless - Still in progress on Wiki
Bearclaw - Waiting for final approval by WR1 and moved into game
ES Sparky - Still in progress on Wiki
lkim - Waiting for initial review on Wiki by Slip and Vegas
Nuentoter - Still in process on Wiki
Spark - Waiting for approval to move to Wiki and have pages built
Havok - Waiting for approval to move to Wiki and have pages built
Spark
yep got me placed exactly nyahnyah.gif at the beginning rotfl.gif but yeah barring any needed concept changes I feel pretty good with my current concept storyline. Ill flesh out contacts besides the one liner descriptions i had earlier when/if i get pages.

ty for all the work you gms put into this.

also got a rather good way that i could be intro'd should i get my approval done quickly.
Eyeless Blond
That's right for me. Still working on Takes, and wrapping up the niggling bits on Gear.
lkim
@Vegas

Yup, that's where I am at.
Vegas
QUOTE (Spark @ Apr 9 2008, 12:30 PM) *
ty for all the work you gms put into this.

also got a rather good way that i could be intro'd should i get my approval done quickly.

You're welcome, and you don't have to worry about the introduction for your PC as WinterRat1 does all that for you. By all means if you've got an idea you could PM to him that he might be able to work into your intro that's cool.. but just know it happens when and how he determines smile.gif
Vegas
Spark

What streetname exactly is your character going to go by most often BTW?
Spark
QUOTE (Vegas @ Apr 9 2008, 02:44 PM) *
Spark

What streetname exactly is your character going to go by most often BTW?

X ... he got it cause thats the first drug he started pushing (naturally) along with his whores, from there it was just a nomer that stuck around anonymity for drug dealing and pimping (in large amounts of both) is about par for the course.
Vegas
Havok and Spark

You've both been cleared for the wiki. Havok I've approved your original request for membership, Spark you'll have to apply to get access to edit pages.

Sly's Pages

X's Pages

Welcome aboard guys. vegm.gif

The sooner you can get things on the wiki and finalized the sooner we can review you and get you into the game. Please let us know when you're done editing your CS's and pages. You'll need to have Stats, Gear, Background and Takes finalized before we will review/approve you. If you need help learning how to edit the wiki don't hesitate to ask.
Havok
Aww sweet! I'll jump on the forum ASAP.
Spark
ditto to that heh been cleaning my room for the last nine hours ><. anyways applied to the wiki.
Vegas
QUOTE (Spark @ Apr 9 2008, 07:35 PM) *
ditto to that heh been cleaning my room for the last nine hours ><. anyways applied to the wiki.

You're approved for the wiki now. While you're in the cleaning spirit, want to come clean my house? biggrin.gif
Spark
QUOTE (Vegas @ Apr 9 2008, 07:37 PM) *
You're approved for the wiki now. While you're in the cleaning spirit, want to come clean my house? biggrin.gif

>< no fucking way lol im only in 'teh cleaning spirit" cause my landlord who lives in san jose, happens to be a master conjurer with a force 80000000000 bound familiar that happens to have the power (wtfpickiness) permanently in use....
Havok
Main Page for Sly finished, starting on the next page.
Fresno Bob
Tobacco isn't a legal addiction you can take... nor is Breaking and Entering I think.
Havok
@Voorhees: You mean to tell me people stopped smoking cigarettes in shadowrun? I can switch tobacco to Alcohol, that's fine. Or maybe Jazz for the ultimate rush. And what's to prevent someone from being addicted to the act of breaking and entering any more than someone can have Kleptomania? Not meaning to flame, I just honestly want to know the answers these questions. Thank you for your input, as always smile.gif Is there a list of acceptable addictions anywhere that I might have missed?

Also, I preliminarily finished my 30 questions page (^_^)
Fresno Bob
No, I'm sure people still smoke in 2070. Legion, Nevada, and Aziz do, and probably some characters I've missed. However, smoking continues to be non life-ruiningly addictive. In the book, where it has the Addiction negative quality, it specifically disallows nicotine(tobacco). It also says its for substance addictions, which excludes B&E.

Also, I don't know if this was on purpose, but Sly's height would legally make him a midget today.
Havok
Gotcha. Thanks for the info Voorheez. I'll fix it when I get off work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012