Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Collapsible SMG
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
wavydavy
Folding flashlight/SMG, a la collapsible heavy pistol in Arsenal.

http://gizmodo.com/365738/from-flashlight-...ept-from-magpul

I need to get a dog, so's I can get one of these smile.gif

Nikoli
I know what I'm asking Santa for
Method
That is cool as hell. I need one!!
mfb
i love the fact that the flashlight from this flashlight-SMG can be removed.

it's neat, but i'd think it'd have greater application in the security and military industries than personal defense. for personal defense, the act of drawing your weapon should allow you to ready it; if you're in a bad situation, you probably don't want to be fumbling around with unfolding your gun. maybe you could keep it on the nightstand, but i can't see it as a good choice for taking with you.

for military and especially security personnel, though, it's pretty cool. you could slap a pouch for one of these things on the inside of the door of your MP humvee or cruiser, to give you the option of a little extra immediately-accessible firepower (it'd likely use the same round as your service automatic, but the addition of the stock, optics, and foregrip means you'll be shooting a little straighter).
kanislatrans
too sweet!!

I want one for my toolbox at work...

"I'm sorry ma'am, this old washing machine just isn't going to make it.."( flip out the flashlight and pop a couple of rounds into the spin basket) " I just hate to see an appliance suffer." spin.gif spin.gif

Adarael
Like a modern inheritor of the Ares FMG, looks like.
mfb
QUOTE (kanislatrans)
I want one for my toolbox at work...

you and me both, though i think i'd be putting my rounds into some of my customers. i hate to see a computer suffer...
hobgoblin
one interesting thing is that with the right handle on top, it may pass as a very small briefcase wink.gif
mfb
haha, you probably could pass it off as a dremel kit if you took off the flashlight.
Crusher Bob
In SR terms should probably be classed as a machine pistol, not a full sized SMG.

Something like:

Folding SMG

Damage 4P
Rate: SA/BF/FA
Magazine: 20 round detachable box

Simple action to unfold.

Options for the following casings:
Flashlight, commlink, handheld radio, GPS, portable music player, etc.

40 round magazines are available (since the original ARES Folding had 40 rnd mags), but the weapon cannon be folded with a 40 round magazine inserted.
nathanross
I especially like the guy presenting it:

Taking your dog for a walk? Things get nasty, Get Down to Business.
Picking up you girlfriend? Things get nasty, Get Down to Business.
Helping an old lady cross the road? Things get nasty, Get Down to Business.

The guy's a shadowrunner I tell ya.
hobgoblin
that or a "cowboy"...
Shrike30
I like their PDR more, but the FMG is pretty cool smile.gif
krakjen
It's the PPSK-4 from Arsenal !
chromedog
QUOTE (Adarael @ Mar 10 2008, 11:17 PM) *
Like a modern inheritor of the Ares FMG, looks like.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head - but using 'more reliable' Glock parts.

Didn't the kid in Robocop2 have an Ares? Nothing is new anymore, just product improved or reimagined.
Critias
Much like the folding Kel-Tec carbines (which can also take Glock mags), I see it as handy mostly for storage and transportation, not necessarily for outright duplicity. Rather than walk around with it in-hand and try to pass it off as a ridiculously bulky and weak flashlight with a weird handle, I'd just fold it up and stow it somewhere. Under a jacket, in the side pocket of a backpack, in a bookbag/messenger bag. Conspicuous = bad.

kigmatzomat
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 11 2008, 12:34 AM) *
one interesting thing is that with the right handle on top, it may pass as a very small briefcase wink.gif

Heh. Slap an Apple sticker on it and pawn it off as the latest ultra mini laptop.

"So how fast is it?"
"'Bout 250 rounds/minute."

QUOTE (Critias)
Much like the folding Kel-Tec carbines (which can also take Glock mags), I see it as handy mostly for storage and transportation, not necessarily for outright duplicity.

If the local indoor gun range hadn't closed I'd definitely have a Kel-Tec just to have a much less bulky "long" arm. Lugging around the .22 rifle cases is a PITA and the only rifle-caliber public range is 45 minutes away. I kept resisting the urge since once I had the Kel-Tec, I'd be hard pressed not to buy a Glock. I'm a recreational shooter, I don't need to start collecting guns. Well, that and the CZ-52 I've got is soooo much more entertaining to shoot than a Glock. The BLAM factor wins for giggles, but if I already had a couple of spare Glock clips and had a stockpile of 9mm, I'd be hard pressed to avoid a Glock.
Siege
The collapsible thing makes this more a novelty rather than a functional tool - you don't need to be fumbling when you should be shooting.

It's the same reason I dislike tactical flashlights with multiple settings - Keep It Seriously Simple.

Of course, ymmv.

-Siege
b1ffov3rfl0w
Did anyone else get nervous the first time he re-folded it? I mean, he looked like he was going to get a belly fulla lead there.

Very cool, though.
nathanross
QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w @ Mar 11 2008, 05:22 PM) *
Did anyone else get nervous the first time he re-folded it? I mean, he looked like he was going to get a belly fulla lead there.

I was about 99% sure that it was unloaded. Not the way you want to fold it when it is live though! wink.gif
Moon-Hawk
I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually fire. He mentioned that they rapid-prototyped it as a mock-up. I don't think it has a firing mechanism.
Fix-it
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk @ Mar 12 2008, 12:50 AM) *
I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually fire. He mentioned that they rapid-prototyped it as a mock-up. I don't think it has a firing mechanism.

he said they just used a stock receiver from a glock, so while I'm sure they pulled the firing pin out for safety, I betcha it works great.

it's just an auto glock with fancy furniture. nothing big.
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (nathanross @ Mar 11 2008, 06:47 PM) *
I was about 99% sure that it was unloaded.

Ha, tell it to Charon (cf Hey y'all, watch this!).
hobgoblin
hell, it was presented at a gun show stand...

i dont think anyone at a place like that would be crazy enough to have live weapons around...
mfb
having never been to a gun show, i dunno about live weapons, but i'd be incredibly surprised if there weren't very strict rules (and probably some laws) about keeping them loaded.
Method
Yeah, the "tiny little flashlight with a really big battery" disguise is a little contrived. I'd disguise it as the case for a chord-less drill or socket set.

"I'm here to fix the cable..." cyber.gif
b1ffov3rfl0w
QUOTE (Method @ Mar 12 2008, 06:14 PM) *
Yeah, the "tiny little flashlight with a really big battery" disguise is a little contrived. I'd disguise it as the case for a chord-less drill or socket set.

"I'm here to fix the cable..." cyber.gif

Meine dispatcher says there is something wrong with deine Kabel.
MJBurrage
Love this weapon myself, my SR characters have been using them since 2052 (I've been playing since 1991)

Real world history:

ARES FMG (1986, 9mm Parabellum) – Folding subMachine Gun designed by Francis Warin & Eugene Stoner for ARES Incorporated. It can be folded with a 20-round magazine loaded, and can use a 32-round magazine while unfolded. It did not pop open via a button, but was simply pulled open. Unconfirmed reports had it in use with the U.S. Secret Service, but it was never put into regular production.

UC-M21 (c. 1988, 9mm Parabellum) – Folding submachine gun designed and built by Dave Boatman. Basically a copy of the ARES design, never factory produced, famous for bing used in one of the RoboCop films.

PP-90 (1990, 9mm Makarov) – Russian copy of the ARES design by KBP. While it could apparently be folded with a 30-round magazine loaded, it was poorly constructed, and disliked by its evaluators, it never went into production.

"Goblin" (1990s, 9mm Makarov) – Ukrainian version of the PP-90, with a smaller magazine, but including a small fore-grip

Magpul FMG-9 (2007) – A prototype that improves on the ARES design, with a more refined and smaller deign, that actually fits around a Glock 17/18 slide. It can be folded with a Glock magazine loaded.

Shadowrun: Never mentioned in game until Arsenal.

PPSK-4 Collapsible Machine Pistol (2061, page 22) – Uses light pistol ammunition, and a 30-round magazine. Description states that it can not be collapsed while the magazine is loaded.

PSK-3 Collapsible Heavy Pistol (2061, page 23) – Uses an 8-round magazine. Description states that it can not be collapsed while the magazine is loaded.

So while in real life the design dates to 1986, and can be folded/unfold with a magazine loaded, it was supposedly novel in 2061 Shadowrun, despite not folding while loaded.

As stated in the intro, my SR characters have used an Ares FSMG designed in 2052 (made up by my then GM at my request). It uses light pistol ammunition, can be folded with a 21-round magazine loaded, and was made entirely of composite materials. With expensive custom ammunition, it is undetectable magnetically.
Moon-Hawk
QUOTE (b1ffov3rfl0w @ Mar 12 2008, 08:32 PM) *
Meine dispatcher says there is something wrong with deine Kabel.

Shit, I know that guy. He's a nihilist.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012