Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: prototype cybereye is here!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
KCKitsune
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Mar 11 2008, 03:19 AM) *

Combine this with the previous thread about bionic lens and we're getting very close. I want my cybereyes and Commlink damn it! grinbig.gif
Cardul
Wow..just..wow. I know a few years ago I heard about something in engand where they had developed a way to bridge spinal damage and allow those with spinal damage to walk(admittedly, last I heard, they needed a walker, but it was better then total paralysis).

I had also been hearing about the slow progress in making this camera for years. Last I had heard, it was being implanted in the neck. If they have it to where it can go in the eye, that is just amazing.

This, combiined with that research by another scientist who had been working on a direct neural interface...I almost expect we might be seeing the First Generation Cyber Terminals a la Echo Mirage probably around the time they appeared in SR history.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Cardul @ Mar 11 2008, 05:06 AM) *
Wow..just..wow. I know a few years ago I heard about something in engand where they had developed a way to bridge spinal damage and allow those with spinal damage to walk(admittedly, last I heard, they needed a walker, but it was better then total paralysis).

I had also been hearing about the slow progress in making this camera for years. Last I had heard, it was being implanted in the neck. If they have it to where it can go in the eye, that is just amazing.

This, combiined with that research by another scientist who had been working on a direct neural interface...I almost expect we might be seeing the First Generation Cyber Terminals a la Echo Mirage probably around the time they appeared in SR history.

Let's hope that the Shadowrun history doesn't play out completely. There are things in the SR Universe that completely and utterly suck. I for one don't want ANY corporation to have the kind of power they do in SR.
Aaron
Er ... the description of the device and the picture in the article don't seem to jive. The pic has a full eyeball with some electronic-looking gawgatraw on it, and the article describes a device implanted in the back of the eye.
Neondante
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Mar 11 2008, 05:36 AM) *
Let's hope that the Shadowrun history doesn't play out completely. There are things in the SR Universe that completely and utterly suck. I for one don't want ANY corporation to have the kind of power they do in SR.

Hell, I don't want any governments to have the power they do in SR.

Damn patriot act. That's totally something out of a dystopian setting. "Patriot." It's like the Ministry of Love from 1984. Grumble.

Back on topic, I'm not at all surprised about this... and the fact that I'm not makes me happy. smile.gif The technology curve is sweeping ever upwards. Things we only dreamed about in the 80s and 90s have prototypes... like that one mech that shoots nerf balls.

I'm a bit nervous about a singularity, though...
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Neondante @ Mar 11 2008, 07:08 AM) *
Hell, I don't want any governments to have the power they do in SR.

Damn patriot act. That's totally something out of a dystopian setting. "Patriot." It's like the Ministry of Love from 1984. Grumble.

Back on topic, I'm not at all surprised about this... and the fact that I'm not makes me happy. smile.gif The technology curve is sweeping ever upwards. Things we only dreamed about in the 80s and 90s have prototypes... like that one mech that shoots nerf balls.

I'm a bit nervous about a singularity, though...

Singularity? What do you mean?
quentra
Tech Singularity. Quote, from wiki.

The technological singularity is a hypothesized point in the future variously characterized by the technological creation of self-improving intelligence, unprecedentedly rapid technological progress, or some combination of the two.

It could be interpreted as the point where AIs become reality, or that tech and man become so integrated that a difference is hard to tell or achieve.
Ed_209a
We already missed the Seretech and Shiawase decisions.

Libya and Israel haven't exchanged radioactive Christmas presents either.

The Lone Eagle incident looks highly unlikely. If anyone breaks into a missile silo, it almost certainly won't be American Indian radicals.

I am not too worried about the 6th world in general.

Speaking from an American POV, we survived McCarthyism, we will survive the Patriot act. We survived the Nazi and Communist threat, we will survive global terrorism. Heck, we survived Marxist global terror, we will survive Islamic global terror. (Yes, I _know_ 999/1000 Muslims just want to work & feed their family, just like me.)
Neondante
QUOTE (quentra @ Mar 11 2008, 07:57 AM) *
Tech Singularity. Quote, from wiki.

It could be interpreted as the point where AIs become reality, or that tech and man become so integrated that a difference is hard to tell or achieve.

Quite. Think of it this way: When someone is able to build a computer that is smarter then it's creator, logically that computer will be able to build a computer smarter then it. Fast foreward to robot apocalypse.

Edit: Also, Ed, quoted for truth. Humanity is a hearty animal. We can take anything that they can throw at us. Or that we can throw at us.
Adarael
QUOTE (Aaron @ Mar 11 2008, 05:08 AM) *
Er ... the description of the device and the picture in the article don't seem to jive. The pic has a full eyeball with some electronic-looking gawgatraw on it, and the article describes a device implanted in the back of the eye.

That's pretty normal for news articles unless they're current events. The average reader isn't going to pick up on the fact that the picture doesn't quite match. That's why newspapers have such massive libraries of stock photos.

On the other hand, it could be that the eyeball that he's holding up is a mockup of how the implant sits in a human eye. Like something for trade shows or the like.
Rajaat99
I believe the picture is a model, but that doesn't matter. It's awesome technology that could help people and it pulls the 6th world closer. I doubt dragons are going to show up though.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Rajaat99 @ Mar 11 2008, 06:31 PM) *
I believe the picture is a model, but that doesn't matter. It's awesome technology that could help people and it pulls the 6th world closer. I doubt dragons are going to show up though.

there is a call for you, the access code points back to SK cyber.gif
Jhaiisiin
Well, this age "ends" in 4 years, so I suppose we'll know soon enough, huh? hehe
jago668
Well it'd be nice if tech advanced enough for us to have their shadowrun equivilants. I'll be around 80 years old by the time they really get leonization working well. I think that would be a nice birthday present to myself.
nathanross
Quite cool, however, I am still waiting for Datajacks and BTLs. The day they allow me to jump into VR, my meat is done for.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012