Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Physad Limitations
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Conan The GM
Beg your pardon people, sorry to do this with my first post, but I was flustered and spent like 10 minutes searching the internet for my answer. Didn't occur to me that it would be directly under my nose in the first place I aught to look. So instead of asking anything, Hi. How are you folk on this lovely looking forum doing?
Anyone have any experience with broken combinations they could warn a new GM about? I have lots of experience with 3rd ed, but not so much with 4th.

First thing I noticed is bows. Give a buff troll a bow and he is gonna own some face harder then a panther assault cannon! Any other broke combos to house rule/watch out for?
jago668
It is right at the start of the adept powers section. Page 187, mainbook. The first paragraph under the heading Adept Powers.
Crusher Bob
P 187, in the section 'Adept Powers'

The maximum level an adept may have in any power is equal to the adept’s Magic attribute.
Conan The GM
QUOTE (jago668 @ Mar 14 2008, 06:51 AM) *
It is right at the start of the adept powers section. Page 187, mainbook. The first paragraph under the heading Adept Powers.

Yeah... I know. Thanks for responding so quickly, and sorry I didn't edit before you saw my foolishness.
jago668
QUOTE (Conan The GM @ Mar 14 2008, 02:53 AM) *
Yeah... I know. Thanks for responding so quickly, and sorry I didn't edit before you saw my foolishness.

No worries I made the very same mistake the first few times I looked at the rules. In earlier editions the powers themselves would say what their limit was in their description. So I danced around like a madman the first time I looked at critical strike and thought I could add up to 24 damage to a punch.
nathanross
QUOTE (Conan The GM @ Mar 14 2008, 01:38 AM) *
Anyone have any experience with broken combinations they could warn a new GM about? I have lots of experience with 3rd ed, but not so much with 4th.

I personally recommend you start a new thread, but since the question is out there, a recommendation for you.

MEMORIZE THE MAGIC RULES! Magic is far more useful in SR4 (Due to set TN for drain tests). You also can start out with 14-15 drain dice (soft capped atts) which enables some pretty powerful mojo slinging. This is not broken by any means, but just make sure you know what you're up against.

Also, MEMORIZE DICE POOL MODIFIERS! Dice pools can get very large very quick in this edition, make sure you understand the modifiers that affect them. Don't just take away all the dice, but be sure and utilize full and partial cover. Also, visibility modifiers for magicians.
Crusher Bob
QUOTE (Conan The GM @ Mar 14 2008, 02:38 PM) *

First thing I noticed is bows. Give a buff troll a bow and he is gonna own some face harder then a panther assault cannon! Any other broke combos to house rule/watch out for?

Here's the last thread about various borked rules in SR4.
Kyoto Kid
...because of the shift from the traditional Dice Pools to the current mechanic, mages have become more powerful.

In the past a mage had to allocate dice from his Sorcery Pool (which usually wasn't as large as a Sammie's Combat Pool or Rigger's Control Pool) for both casting and drain. This means, the more passes a mage had in a combat turn, the more careful he needed to be in use of the pool. Also, as nathanross inferred, with the variable TN and the staged wound effect (L, M, S, D) drain and resisting it was a lot tougher on the caster. So if a mage wanted to sling that boffo spell he had a greater chance of knocking himself out (or if overcasting, having to eat some nasty damage), or if he wanted to make sure he remained standing, the spell had a better chance of fizzling.

Now a mage gets his full DP (Magic + applicable attribute) for soaking drain every time he casts a spell.
[/derail]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012