Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers: What are the most importent complex forms?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
BetaFlame
So I'm making a technomancer. Yes, I know an adept hacker is better wink.gif I just like the technomancer concept better.

I've been reading alot of threads in the forums on them, and what I have been able to gather is that Complex Form selection at chargen will make or break you.

These are the ones I picked for my Resonance 5 technomancer I am building:

Complex Forms
Analyze: Rating 5
Browse: Rating 5
Edit: Rating 5
Encrypt: Rating 5
Scan: Rating 5
Armor: Rating 5
Attack: Rating 5
ECCM: Rating 5
Exploit: Rating: 5
Stealth: Rating 5

That cover most of the bases? Did I miss anything importent? I plan on using Machine Sprites for Autosofts.

As another question, unrelated:
Is there a general rule of thumb as to when to take a Skill Group over taking the skills seperately? I was planning on taking Software twice (once as a Hacker skill, not technomancer and writing programs to load on other peoples Commlinks).

Sorry if these are dumb questions nyahnyah.gif
Ranger
QUOTE (BetaFlame @ Mar 16 2008, 02:06 PM) *
As another question, unrelated:
Is there a general rule of thumb as to when to take a Skill Group over taking the skills seperately? I was planning on taking Software twice (once as a Hacker skill, not technomancer and writing programs to load on other peoples Commlinks).

Sorry if these are dumb questions nyahnyah.gif

No clue about the complex forms (I'm just learning how technomancers work, myself), but regarding Skill Groups, it depends on how many of the skills in the group you plan on using, and if you want to specialize.

If you know you'll use 3 or more of the skills in a group, then take the group and improve the group as you earn karma.

If you know you'll use only 1 or 2 of the skills is a group, then take the individual skills.

If you want to specialize, then you cannot have a skill group. You can start with a group and then break it later so that you can specialize, if you like, but you cannot have both a group and specialization at the same time.
Fenix_mercury_200
Armor is total useless for a TM. Armor keeps you safe from Icon Damage. Since all damage a TM takes is at least Stun and they have a built in Biofeedback. You can get rid of it.
BetaFlame
Ranger: Thanks smile.gif I was generally following that rule, but I just wanted verification that I wasn't a total wackjob. I broke up the Tasking group, since Decompile is worthless crap, and it let me taking Register and Compile at 5 instead of 4.

Fenix: I missed that, thanks.

Would Command fit better there? Seems like I could just use Edit to change most programs to do what I wanted anyway. I should probably take Spoof

Edit: Just as a sidenote, I get 500BP to build this character with, so I might be a little better off than your adverage TM.. I just wish I could have more Forms.
Jaid
i would drop encrypt.

and also, armor does help a technomancer. matrix damage dealt to the technomancer's living persona damages the technomancer, but if the living persona resists the matrix damage then it never reaches the technomancer.

and command... well, command is useful for when you want to remotely control stuff with obscene dice pools that will make a normal rigger cry. if you don't plan on personally remote controlling stuff using the control device matrix action, then you can ignore command.

and personally, i might consider the black IC programs... one of the few programs where the rating does more than just add to your dice pool when using it wink.gif

[edit] oh, and also... forget about normal software skill. it's garbage. look at the amount of time it takes to program anything you might ever even consider using. the only people who should take software other than as a free bonus with the skill group is a technomancer, because the only one who will ever use software is a technomancer.

well, actually, people who just want software because it fits their backstory could also take it... but they'll probably never use it again. unless they're a technomancer. [/edit]
Divine Virus
Ok. The Software skill is essential. Absolutely. It is what you use for threading. Personally, when making a TM, I think it is almost always worth while to start with Resonance 6, and Software 5. Why? Cause then you average just under 4 successes with your threading rolls. That means that any CF you need to you can get at rating 4.
As for your list. Forget the following CFs

Browse: Rating 5
Edit: Rating 5
Encrypt: Rating 5
Scan: Rating 5
ECCM: Rating 5

All of these I would simply Thread as I needed them. It is rare you are going to need them above four. If so, for most of them there is a sprite which can, even at a relatively low level, do it better then you due to some special ability.
For example, a rating 1 courier sprite (or rating three depending on how you interpret what an "option power" is) is better then a Encrypt CF at 10. Why? Because the hash ability makes something undecryptable, except by that same sprite. You need a strong encryption, but not that strong? Then just thread excrypt. Res 6+ software 5 should get you 3 or 4 successes. With Willpower 5, res 6, statistics say you should be able to soak any fading damage.
A datasprite can handle your Browse and edit needs, if not, just thread.
ECCM you will rarely use, so just thread it when you need it. Scan you can easily thread when you need it, or use a courier or crack sprite.

Armour depends on your interpretation of the rules.

You should get spoof. Spoof is a godsend program. It has so very many uses, and you can never get it too high. Whats more, only the crack sprite has it as an option CF. With a spoof, you hide your matrix trail, send of hackers, and CONTROL OTHER'S DRONES, AGENTS, AND SPRITES. An opposed pilot+firewall vs. Spoof + hacking, if you win you get to order the drone/sprite/agent/whatever as if you were its controller.
Don't forget that all vehicles have a pilot program and generally weak firewall. Meaning your spoof 6, hacking 4 could easily take over a normal car with pilot 2, firewall 3. Thread spoof up to 10, and you are laughing.

Reality filter is also really useful, in that if you win, it gives you a +1 to response, whereas if you loose OR TIE, you get -1 response. Now, get it at 5 or six, and right before you make the roll thread it up as high as you can. Do this, and you are almost certain to win, and get your +1 response. Walk into a node without Reality filter, and you are almost certainly down 1 response. Its worth the points.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012