Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NYC Events at GenCon Indy
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
the_dunner
Hey folks,

GenCon has released their event schedule, so I figured I might as well share it here. smile.gif

SRM Scramble
Mr. Johnson has put out a call to the Shadows of New York - he needs every 'runner available to infiltrate the city. A one time only Shadowrun Missions BYOC Interactive, with unique campaign rewards. Costumes encouraged!
Time/Event Code: Thursday 14:00:00 LRP00082

SRM03-00 Everyone's Your Friend
Sometimes following up on a job really means following. You've been hired to track down an old acquaintance who's fled across the continent. BYOC!
[/s]Time/Event Code: Thursday 08:00:00 RPG01074; Thursday 10:00:00 RPG01075; Friday 10:00:00 RPG01076; Friday 12:00:00 RPG01077

SRM03-01 Ready, Set, Gogh
By 2070, life literally imitates art. Some people have a fetish for it and it's your job to see that it's delivered and still breathing. BYOC!
Time/Event Code: Thursday 10:00:00 RPG01078; Thursday 12:00:00 RPG01088; Friday 14:00:00 RPG01089; Saturday 10:00:00 RPG01090

SRM03-02 Block War
What starts as a petty fight could degenerate to a full scale war. When things are turning sour, who said mediators had to be neutral? BYOC!
Time/Event Code: Thursday 18:00:00 RPG01091; Friday 10:00:00 RPG01092; Friday 14:00:00 RPG01093; Saturday 12:00:00 RPG01094

SRM03-03 Burning Bridges
The voice on the other end of the comm sounds desperate. The kind that pays well. Then he asked, "How much do you know about demolitions?" BYOC!
Time/Event Code: Friday 12:00:00 RPG01095; Saturday 08:00:00 RPG01096; Saturday 12:00:00 RPG01097; Sunday 10:00:00 RPG01098

SRM03-04 Monkeywrench
A little milk run like this should be no problem. Though, it sounds like you don't get much time. Non-lethal rounds and no legal complications makes these "security consultant" gigs the best in the Big Apple. BYOC!
Time/Event Code: Friday 08:00:00 RPG01099; Saturday 12:00:00 RPG01100; Saturday 14:00:00 RPG01101; Sunday 12:00:00 RPG01102

SRM03-05 In and Out
A stool pigeon is ready to name names. Mr. Johnson wants to make sure they're the right names. He needs you to break into the NYPD Inc. holding facility and deliver a message. BYOC!
Time/Event Code: Friday 12:00:00 RPG01103; Saturday 10:00:00 RPG01104; Saturday 14:00:00 RPG01105
adamu
Can I ask some quick questions, the answers to which may be painfully obvious to all but me?

My existence in Japan has prevented me from participating in Missions, but I hope that attending GenCon will change all that.

So, having read the Missions instructions page, let me see if I have this right -

I make my own character, per the Missions guidelines, and I can use it successively in all these runs (pending GM approval), and collect karma on those nifty sheets you give out at the end of each session (assuming I survive!).

Missions usually come out once a month, but you are shotgunning a whole passle at GenCon? And these are the first of the NYC series?

Can an existing SRM character that has participated in the Denver series be carried over into the NYC series? (I am scheming to do a Mission before GenCon, if possible).

If one participates in these events at GenCon, must they be done in order? What if they are done in order but one is skipped?

Is that first session really at 0800 hours as in 8 am in the morning time? I heard that there is no way to even get through the line into the doors by then. And that that is especially true if you have to go to will-call for your badge (as they will not send it to me overseas). Should I just forget that session (I am even worried about 10:00)? Or is there a work-around for that?

Sorry if these are already answered elsewhere - I know some are, but I am new to the whole system, and just trying to get a more clear overall picture in my head.
Thank you so much.
the_dunner
QUOTE (adamu @ Mar 25 2008, 10:12 AM) *
Can I ask some quick questions, the answers to which may be painfully obvious to all but me?

Sure.
I make my own character, per the Missions guidelines, and I can use it successively in all these runs (pending GM approval), and collect karma on those nifty sheets you give out at the end of each session (assuming I survive!).

That's correct.
Missions usually come out once a month, but you are shotgunning a whole passle at GenCon? And these are the first of the NYC series?

Four of these (SRM03-00 through SRM03-03) will premiere at Origins. However, yes, we'll have 6 regular events plus the Scramble at GenCon.
Can an existing SRM character that has participated in the Denver series be carried over into the NYC series? (I am scheming to do a Mission before GenCon, if possible).

There will be a character transfer mechanism. I'll have the fine details available well in advance of Origins.
If one participates in these events at GenCon, must they be done in order?

Nope.
What if they are done in order but one is skipped?

That shouldn't be an issue.
Is that first session really at 0800 hours as in 8 am in the morning time?

That's correct.
I heard that there is no way to even get through the line into the doors by then. And that that is especially true if you have to go to will-call for your badge (as they will not send it to me overseas). Should I just forget that session (I am even worried about 10:00)? Or is there a work-around for that?

Badge pick-up starts Wednesday afternoon. If you get your badge then, making the 8AM Thursday session isn't a problem. If you're only attending GCI for one day, then I'd advise not scheduling any 8AM events.
adamu
Thank you so much.

I will endeavor to answer other questions through my own research, and only harrass you further when absolutely necessary!
BishopMcQ
Adamu--While I don't have quite as much GC time as Dunner, you can also bounce questions my way.
DireRadiant
These missions are going to be fun!
Zolhex
I like the sound of 03.
TranKirsaKali
These sound great. Now all I have to do is get 25 done before Dragon Con! love.gif
cryptoknight
Edit: Nevermind... the only events you can presently search are the ribbons... *headsmack*
Zolhex
QUOTE (TranKirsaKali @ Mar 25 2008, 04:11 PM) *
These sound great. Now all I have to do is get 25 done before Dragon Con! love.gif

That's easy to do Show up on the 5th at sci-fi rotfl.gif .
TeaTime
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Mar 25 2008, 01:33 PM) *
SRM Scramble
Mr. Johnson has put out a call to the Shadows of New York - he needs every 'runner available to infiltrate the city. A one time only Shadowrun Missions BYOC Interactive, with unique campaign rewards. Costumes encouraged!
Time/Event Code: Thursday 14:00:00 LRP00082

SRM03-00 Everyone's Your Friend
Sometimes following up on a job really means following. You've been hired to track down an old acquaintance who's fled across the continent. BYOC!
Time/Event Code: Thursday 08:00:00 RPG01074; Thursday 10:00:00 RPG01075; Friday 10:00:00 RPG01076; Friday 12:00:00 RPG01077

Questions, questions:

1. Is the Scramble a 4 hour event this year, or is there second component I need to be sure to sign up for?

2. Is "Everyone's Your Friend" a Gencon only event? Just wondering if there is significance to the 00 code of SRM03-00.
the_dunner
QUOTE (TeaTime @ Mar 27 2008, 11:01 AM) *
1. Is the Scramble a 4 hour event this year, or is there second component I need to be sure to sign up for?

It's an 8 hour event, actually. (And the Tournament is a 4 hour event each night, not an 8 hour event each night.) We've got a note into the registration folks at GenCon to get these corrected before event registration goes live.
2. Is "Everyone's Your Friend" a Gencon only event? Just wondering if there is significance to the 00 code of SRM03-00.

No it's not a GenCon only event. Yes, there is significance. smile.gif
Aaron
Good geeks start counting at zero.
BishopMcQ
I'm kinda drawing a blank...is it something special that I already know?
Redjack
Computers count 0-9, not 1-10.
the_dunner
Schedule has been updated with strikethroughs to reflect sold out events. Sales have been pretty significant so far.
User McUser
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Apr 21 2008, 07:40 AM) *
Schedule has been updated with strikethroughs to reflect sold out events. Sales have been pretty significant so far.

Yeah, I noticed when I went to schedule about an hour ago...

Will there be extra sessions added by any chance?

While I'm sure the GMs are already overbooked (God bless 'em) I would *really* like to do as many of the SRM sessions as possible.

Also, I noticed that some on the sessions have 12 slots while others have only 6 but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to this.
the_dunner
QUOTE (User McUser @ Apr 21 2008, 09:00 PM) *
Will there be extra sessions added by any chance?

That's pretty unlikely. However, we do two things at the con to help alleviate this:

#1 - We only sell 6 tickets to each event, but SRM scenarios can accommodate up to 8 players. If the GMs willing, they're allowed to seat up to two additional players at each table with generic tickets.

#2 - For the busiest time slots (10AM, Noon, 2PM), we try to keep at least one extra GM on hand to help with overflow. Usually that GM will be familiar with at least one SRM scenario, but I can't guarantee that. (Nor can I guarantee that one will be one you haven't played.) But, we try to accommodate.
Also, I noticed that some on the sessions have 12 slots while others have only 6 but there doesn't seem to be any pattern to this.

12 player slots mean we schedule two GMs to each run a table of the event at the same time slot. Generally, this is during our busiest time slots.
boost
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Apr 21 2008, 07:40 AM) *

no joke. the gaming group i am a member for is running 8 SR4 events (Reign of Fire). her events sold out in 4 hours and mine before morning. we can't run anymore than we are since we signed up to play in other things. There is an earthdawn game this year (finally) and that 8 hr LARP Cat is runnin.

Actually i have a couple questions about the LARP:
-do you plan to go solid for 8 hrs? We both have a game we are running (SR4 that is show to be in union station so we won't have to run far) that begins at the same time the LARP is suppose to end.
-what about dinner breaks or food breaks?
-hehehe, stupid but funny question...what about ppl that play characters of the other sex?? are we expected to be in drag?? (i have 1 of each but depending am already leaning towards the same sex character before i knew dress was advised nyahnyah.gif)
-any idea on really ruff dates for more info about NY? the stuff i read about (bits and peices so far, trying to spend more time working on a new adventure first for the con that has already sold out) it will be totally different than anything in the past. especially since lots of people won't be able to use lots of the big shiny hardware there.

thanks,
chris
the_dunner
QUOTE (boost @ Apr 22 2008, 12:53 AM) *
Actually i have a couple questions about the LARP:
-do you plan to go solid for 8 hrs? We both have a game we are running (SR4 that is show to be in union station so we won't have to run far) that begins at the same time the LARP is suppose to end.

The LARP in question is the Shadowrun Missions Scramble, I assume? GenCon made us classify it as a LARP this year. It's a bit of a hybrid event with tabletop and LARP elements, allowing us to have a 1-time run Shadowrun Missions scenario with a whole lot of players.

It will run for 8 hours, though it won't all be LARP. (Part of that will be tabletop.)

There should be a meal break part way through. (Usually the GMs need to get together to plot dastardly with one another.)

-hehehe, stupid but funny question...what about ppl that play characters of the other sex?? are we expected to be in drag?? (i have 1 of each but depending am already leaning towards the same sex character before i knew dress was advised nyahnyah.gif)

Costumes are encouraged, but not required. So, if you're comfortable crossdressing to portray your character, by all means go for it. smile.gif If you're not, the GMs won't abuse you.
-any idea on really ruff dates for more info about NY? the stuff i read about (bits and peices so far, trying to spend more time working on a new adventure first for the con that has already sold out) it will be totally different than anything in the past. especially since lots of people won't be able to use lots of the big shiny hardware there.

Expect some info in late May.
Aaron
QUOTE (boost @ Apr 21 2008, 10:53 PM) *

You wouldn't be the only one at the convention.

cryptoknight
Hmmm... I wonder what all 300lbs of me would look like in a mini-skirt...and a crop top... can't forget the crop top.

*shudder* WMD's are not allowed at Gencon.
the_dunner
As of the time of this posting, there are 7 tickets left for SRM03 events. 5 for SRM03-03 @ Saturday Noon, 1 for SRM03-03 @ Friday Noon, and 1 for SRM03-02 @ Saturday Noon. That means we've sold 161/168 seats, for a 95.8% sell through so far.

As a further heads up, the Scramble has already sold 30 tickets. While it's listed as accommodating 99 players, we're not entirely certain where that number came from. We're planning on reducing it to a more manageable size. So, uh, I'd strongly advise that if you're planning on playing in the Scramble, you register ASAP.
boost
QUOTE (the_dunner @ Apr 22 2008, 04:30 AM) *
Costumes are encouraged, but not required. So, if you're comfortable crossdressing to portray your character, by all means go for it. smile.gif If you're not, the GMs won't abuse you.

NNoooo...bad thoughts of Rocky horror picture show coming to mind...NNoooooooo nyahnyah.gif

Truthfully though, i don't know what missions character i will play until i see more info about the scramble. that and then explaining to the SR4 game that I am running directly afterwards would be kinda interesting, crap i have a bad feeling about this......

The only bad part of breaking for food is that there is nothing really around there except sitdown restaurants IIRC.
Aaron
Last year there were some pretty awesome costumes. And prizes for costuming and role-playing in the LARP.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (boost)
NNoooo...bad thoughts of Rocky horror picture show coming to mind...NNoooooooo nyahnyah.gif

What's wrong with RHPS? As long as the costume is proportionate to the person wearing it.....
john_doe
QUOTE (boost @ Apr 23 2008, 12:02 AM) *
The only bad part of breaking for food is that there is nothing really around there except sitdown restaurants IIRC.

Pack-lunch for teh win! Nothing says i spent all my GenCon money on events and merch more then showing up to the table with a back-pack full of PB&J sandwiches.
BishopMcQ
From the GM side, nothing says I'm going to be strapped to this table for 12 hours like a bag full of sandwiches and a gallon of water.
adamu
Mental note - come prepared with tasty food offerings for hungry GMs....
vladski
During the SR Tourney "Third Law" at Gencon '06, our table/group liked to bill itself as "The Best Damn Buffet In SR!"

Now, I am not saying this had anything to do with our winning the event, but I know it certainly didn't hurt us. wink.gif

Vlad
TimberWolf
Well, poop. I won't get to play these. And there's no available space near me (Full table, one GM, run on a bad day for me) so I'm not sure what I'll do. I missed the last half of Denver, so I am going to be way behind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012