Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Describe Your Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
DocTaotsu
How do you describe your game to new players/interested parties?

I typically describe my game as, plot wise, a combination of Ronin and Ghost in the Shell:Stand Alone Complex, culturally Transmetropolitan/Snow Crash and Neuromancer/Blade Runner for the darker bits.
Stahlseele
we're pretty much unexplainable . . or you can sum it up into one word . . either fun, frustrating, or chaos *g*
CollateralDynamo
When I'm trying to round up another player for my game, I tell them to picture Robocop meets American Psycho...then add some magic. If that raises their eyebrows, they'll usually make it at my table.
ElFenrir
Hmm...tough to describe. just a bunch of us having fun. Rules-wise, Moderate powered to a little above average; standard 400 BP game, but with no Availability chargen limits and a couple other houserules.

As for style? Hmm...a bit more action oriented, but with healthy stealth, social, and then just storytelling and the like; sometimes we go whole sessions just roleplaying and not even rolling anything. We're all big videogame fans and action movie fans, so stuff can creep in indeed.

We also like a decent dose of humor now and then; we don't have total silly campaigns, some parts can get quite serious and pretty heartbreaking even if a beloved NPC dies; but we aren't afraid to interject humor, like the current group's(in New Jersey) plan on sneaking in somewhere by contacting the Builder's Union to picket outside of a place hiring non-Union workers. The plan was to hide in the big union rat. The Trojan Rat joke lives on forever. grinbig.gif

Kyoto Kid
...I usually describe my campaigns as "Loose Canon" in that I do not really deal with the overall metaplot (e.g. GDs, IES & ED tie-ins) and also take some liberty such as adding to available gear, corp players etc.

I tend to be a big fan of mysteries and intrigue so clue solving and pounding the pavement/matrix waves is a major part of the game and all sorts of clues abound. Unfortunately my style seemed better suited for previous editions in that the shadows were really "the shadows" as opposed to the RFID and Wireless Matrix infested world it is now.
Fortune
D&D with guns! wink.gif biggrin.gif
WearzManySkins
Self Basting Turkeys grinbig.gif

They get them selves into more trouble with out any of my assistance. grinbig.gif So I sit back and throw out some threads of maybe plots and watch to see how they go about it and such.

WMS
Game2BHappy
ummm... "Sneakers" meets "Escape from New York" via the plot of "Snatch".
bjorn
QUOTE (Fortune @ Apr 9 2008, 07:52 PM) *

Exactly what I say
Kyoto Kid
...WMS, I like that one.

I also like to play on suspense and the runners' sense or paranoia. How many times I've made the characters (& even players) sweat bullets over something that often had little or no real bearing on the actual job. Case in point during a recent "invisible bodyguard" mission, the PCs became rather nervous when a bunch of suits who entered the shopping arcade of an Office plaza they were in. Suddenly the decker was keeping a a close eye on the "intruders" through the sec cams while the others were busy figuring out how to deal with the threat. When the group walked towards where the PCs were (to get lattes at a Starbucks), I could almost sense that a confrontation was about to occur. Once the suits got their coffee, they turned around and headed to the lifts, paying no attention to the runners at all.

The group was nothing more than a contingent of businessmen from Fed-Boeing who were there for a presentation meeting upstairs.

...that's not too vegm.gif is it?
DocTaotsu
Heck no! The red herring of untimely demise is half the fun of SR. wink.gif
Critias

Cyberpunk with magic! cool.gif cyber.gif
BlueMax
For Shadowrun players who may join
When I put up my post looking for players, it went as follows
Vitals
Setting: Seattle, 2070ish.
Seriousness Level: Low, but just above goofy. On average at least. Sometimes the metaplanes require goofy. Sometimes the plans require a strong sense of goofy.
Rules Mastery: Medium to low.
Style: GM grew up with Shadowrun. If you know 1st and 2nd ed think that style. If you don't think more dystopia, fewer people on the planet, powerful NAN.

For other Gamers
I tell them "D&D in the future. Replace country with corp. Replace thieves guild with organized crime." The usual response "So nothing changes! nyahnyah.gif". I freely admit that 13 years ago, I would waste their time telling them about the "organic" nature of the system. Foruth Ed is so easy to teach, target number five.

For people entirely new to gaming
I dont even describe shadowrun. I don't go that far into covering Role-Playing. I just ask them to come on over and give it a try.
DV8
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 10 2008, 12:20 AM) *
we're pretty much unexplainable . . or you can sum it up into one word . . either fun, frustrating, or chaos *g*

Wait...you're in my game!? smile.gif
vladski
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Apr 9 2008, 07:03 PM) *
Self Basting Turkeys grinbig.gif

They get them selves into more trouble with out any of my assistance. grinbig.gif So I sit back and throw out some threads of maybe plots and watch to see how they go about it and such.

WMS

Oh god, tell me about it. One of the most hilarious times was a few years back when I was running Paradise Lost, where the runners have to go to Hawai'i. (And excellent adventure if you have never run it and the back half of the adventure is the Hawai'i source book... very worth picking up) What follows is a scene straight out of the adventure, so don't read if you do not want to be spoiled on one of the scenes.

Minor Spoiler for Paradise Lost below:
[ Spoiler ]

Vlad
Fuchs
[ Spoiler ]
vladski
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Apr 10 2008, 07:52 AM) *
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

Vlad
DocTaotsu
Cyberpunk with magic and D&D with guns. I think that pretty much covers the bases smile.gif
Prime Mover
Almost all of my players have come from another game before Shadowrun and have basic concepts down. Usually give a copy of Time Line and Slang Guidebook. (I find it as important to give my players the background of SR as I do giving them rules mechanics.) Then like most games to teach the basics we make a Character with input from the other players and then proceed to a mock combat breaking the players into teams and putting them in situations to have to use skills and abilities to defeat the opposing team.

As for our play style, its changed alot from 1st-4th edition. But current teams can be summed up with a sentance. Negotiate for more money,plan,legwork,collect needed gear,replan,pull the job then freak out cause things start to come unraveled and there was'nt enough post run planning!

Had teams that had 5 pre and post run backups and had groups that just wanted to drive in the front doors gun blazing. A mix of these styles and players makes current runs actually fun to GM.
vladski
Anyway, not meaning to hi-jack the thread with my amusing (to me anyway) anecdote.

When I try to describe Shadowrun it depends on my audience.

To Non-roleplayers:

OKay, the game is set in a near future fantasy world. Ever seen the movies Blade Runner or Johnny Mnemonic or... FastJack? Sorta like that, except magic has also returned to the world and there are orks and trolls and elves and dragons. Think of hte ovie Big Trouble in Little China! In my current game the players are all special ops detectives that go around solving cases or storming the bad guys enclaves or are breaking-in ala Mission Impossible.

To Role-players of other games:
OKay its set about 60-70 years in the future where magic has returned and there are elves and trolls and orcs and such. IN my current game, the characters are government agents that do all sorts of things from breaking and entering missions, to gun fights, to solving mysteries. Corporations pretty much rule the world and the characters are typically folks that work as freelancers outside the system, doing the corps dirty work.

To former Shadowrunners from other editions:
No explanation needed! My world is no different than it really ever was. nyahnyah.gif The mechanics are all that has changed. I'll simply give them a low-down on what my current campaigns flavor is.

Vlad
Yoan
Usually start with slightly lower BP, but may begin at 400BP standard next game (Any Montrealers around, btw?)

It has a heavy Sprawl Trilogy/Neuromancer feel, though I try to distance myself from the whole 80's thing-- much to my chagrin! I even infuse some of Gibson's latest works ie: Spook Country into it-- the image or feel it invokes, that is, not plot hooks. wink.gif I try to guide them into Ronin/Heat types of runs/planning, and I TRY to add emphasis to legwork and contacts a bit more... violence is never lacking, of course.

Despite the common grit/paranoia, there are healthy doses of humour, lulz & fun.
Whipstitch
Deadly.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (vladski @ Apr 10 2008, 05:48 AM) *
Oh god, tell me about it. One of the most hilarious times was a few years back when I was running Paradise Lost, where the runners have to go to Hawai'i. (And excellent adventure if you have never run it and the back half of the adventure is the Hawai'i source book... very worth picking up) What follows is a scene straight out of the adventure, so don't read if you do not want to be spoiled on one of the scenes.

Minor Spoiler for Paradise Lost below:
[ Spoiler ]

Vlad

...now that is an excellent story, and all generated by the players. I've had that kind of thing happen before. Most recently a similar "misunderstanding" occurred during my March Madhouse mission when the Troll Decker (who had a couple LAW rockets) almost took out a suite at the Four Seasons Hotel where Leela and her party ere staying. The PC's mage was spooked into believing they were assassins who were to kill the person the team was protecting after he assessed them from astral space. I just mentioned what he saw: one Cybered up dude (Leela's Bodyguard Anatoli) two highly awakened auras, (one a bodyguard mage, the other a high force Spirit of Man) and one sort of "odd" aura (Leela) Seeing as the character never met any of them before he didn't recognise any of their auras. Would have been very interesting, particularly since Leela had nothing to do with the mission at hand and was there by happenstance (she was giving testimony at a hearing that stemmed from what happened during the previous Drek the Halls scenario).

Lots of fun letting them run the scene for a while.

BTW, also ran Paradise Lost, but the scene went pretty straightforward (had players who knew the definition of satchel).
Stahlseele
we're(if we can roud em up) still playing SR3 . . if you want to call it that, with our houserules . . but basically, we are about having fun . . and the real fun starts, when the GM's and the players idea of fun differs in varying degrees ^^
i basically just play to hang out with the boyz and the gitz . .
nathanross
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 10 2008, 11:16 AM) *
...now that is an excellent story, and all generated by the players. I've had that kind of thing happen before. Most recently a similar "misunderstanding" occurred during my March Madhouse mission when the Troll Decker (who had a couple LAW rockets) almost took out a suite at the Four Seasons Hotel where Leela and her party ere staying.

Okay, now this needs explaining:

The group consists of two hacker/riggers, a mage, and a paranoid face who wants his money (me). Our target, who we were hired to guard without him knowing, has safely made his way back to his room at the Four Seasons Hotel. We are constant surveillance for abnormal people when the GM makes note of a suspicious girl who just came in the front door (no perception tests called for). She goes into the room above the room across the hall from the target. We send the mage up to assense the girl. As he is watching the room, first a fully decked out cybersam comes in, then a high force spirit of man and a very powerful mage. The mage doesn't have time to do anything before they start to cast a mana barrier on the room. He comes back and report this to us. Now the man we are protecting is in the Vory's sights and my character who is an expert on the underworld is smelling Chimera a mile away. I'm on the radio to the troll rigger (who's currently outside in his old DHL van stocked with LAWs) within seconds, "Rocket that Room!" Unfortunately, I am the only one in our group who ever thinks to act instead of wait, so they just sit there, content that we will know if they act. Then the GM gives us a perception test to realize that it is our favorite million dollar girl, Leila, who we should know by sight instantly (like I said, this girl is worth at least a million dollars to the group), as we have chased her around Seattle, and in a previous life across Europe.

I am all for player action, but common GMs, you gotta at least give em a Perception check! Even if the players dont notice things, the characters would. And who the hell would confuse a satchel with a satchel charge? Dont you people speak English?
nathanross
I completely forgot to describe how I describe Shadowrun:

Lord of the Rings meets Bladerunner/Neuromancer/Ghost in the Shell
Adarael
One of the games I ran some years back woud be:
"Hold on to your junk, it's time for lasers and carpet bombing!"

I had only one real rule for the 'theme' of that game: You know that part of your brain that goes, 'Nah, that would be a bad idea?' Yeah, ignore that.
vladski
QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 10 2008, 03:47 PM) *
<snip>

I am all for player action, but common GMs, you gotta at least give em a Perception check! Even if the players dont notice things, the characters would. And who the hell would confuse a satchel with a satchel charge? Dont you people speak English?

Okay, I know you were actually replying to someone else, but the part I left above concerns my post.

I give perception checks, normally lots of them... the point is, I gave a very light description and not a single character asked for a better description of ANYTHING important. They didn't ask for a better description of the girl in question, nor her pursuers, nor the satchel. Instead, they were doing what is a horrible bad habit among my players (and many players I have seen elsewhere): They utilize other players assumptions in making hteir own and rushing to act. My table has always had a bad habit of cross-talk. This time, I decided to jsut let them go at it. I think I played the role of GM rather fairly, and definitely by the book. Also, before it became more than a nuisance to the game (ie. they got caught by the cops or geeked the "terrorist elf bitch" who was their contact) I did jsut that... I shoved a perception roll down their throats... after I had repeatedly corrected them in their descriptions about what they were perceiving.

As far as the whole satchel deal... your guess is as good as mine. One of hte guys playing is a former marine (the rigger), one of htem has a very high IQ, is pretty well read and loves war movies (the adept), and the other is well versed in gaming, above normal intelligence (the sam) and you would think would know that a satchel isn't a "satchel charge." Perhaps the longbottom leaf had circled the table once too often that day. wink.gif

Vlad
fatal2ty
Grand Theft Auto meets Final Fantasy with a Metal Gear Solid feel

that about sums it up

I GM my game a little more action-oriented, less legwork, more gunfights, it's a formula that I and my players enjoy, we get bored of the legwork and we all have itchy trigger fingers so gunfights take up the majority of our play times.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 10 2008, 01:47 PM) *
Okay, now this needs explaining:

The group consists of two hacker/riggers, a mage, and a paranoid face who wants his money (me). Our target, who we were hired to guard without him knowing, has safely made his way back to his room at the Four Seasons Hotel. We are constant surveillance for abnormal people when the GM makes note of a suspicious girl who just came in the front door (no perception tests called for). <snip>

..a little clarification on the clarification.

Only two PCs in the group ever met Leela previously - the Face and Rigger neither of whom were jacked into the hotel's sec cams at the time. That was the Troll Decker (who did not know Leela). When it was discovered the girl entered the suite a floor above the team's mark, the mage (who also never met her) went astral to check her out, a normal and quite appropriate response, as the hotel out of respect for their guests privacy, did not have cameras in the rooms or suites. That was when the Sammy, other Mage and Spirit entered. Up to this time the Face was only given reports of what was going on by the Decker and later the mage. Hence no Perception tests were needed at the time as the only characters with a visual/astral reference wouldn't have known Leela from Buttercup (though all the players had participated in my Rhapsody campaign, that was with different characters and over eight years in the past). The roll I had them make wasn't so much a Perception check as a memory test for the Decker to figure out what should have been an appropriate course of action. He then checked the Hotel register to see who was in the suite.

Oh, and the rocket? It would have done 12DV damage, most of which would have been absorbed by the building's reinfoirced structure (this is after all Seattle's flagship 5 Star hotel, at least in my setting).
Fuchs
QUOTE (nathanross @ Apr 10 2008, 10:47 PM) *
And who the hell would confuse a satchel with a satchel charge? Dont you people speak English?

As I said, I just about always encounter the term "Satchel" combined with "Charge" in what english books I read. So, for me personally, there's a strong association of "satchel" with "explosives".
I can't recall any book (and I read a lot) where satchel was used instead of "bag", "purse", or "handbag".
Kyoto Kid
...Satchel Paige: A famous Afro American pitcher Who played for the Kansas City Monarchs and after integration of MLB the Cleveland Indians, St Louis Browns & Kansas City Athletics. Paige got the nickname from a neighbour for carrying people's suitcases (then also called Satchels) at the Mobile train station for money when he was a boy.

...sorry in an historic mood tonight... grinbig.gif
nathanross
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Apr 11 2008, 01:46 AM) *
Oh, and the rocket? It would have done 12DV damage, most of which would have been absorbed by the building's reinfoirced structure (this is after all Seattle's flagship 5 Star hotel, at least in my setting).

Sure the first one would only have taken care of the building, it was the second one I was counting on. grinbig.gif

And KK, Little John was supposed to be feeding us the camera footage. What is AR for otherwise? I'm getting tired of wearing the glasses, it dont fit my image!
Kyoto Kid
...if the second one could have been pulled out of the van, shouldered, and fired in time... grinbig.gif

[ Spoiler ]
masterofm
24 meets.... 24.... We just finally got a week of downtime in about eight months of gaming. It was awesome.
Sponge
For those describing their games as "X meets Y" , how would you describe it to someone who doesn't know what X and Y are?
nathanross
QUOTE (Sponge @ Apr 11 2008, 01:14 PM) *
For those describing their games as "X meets Y" , how would you describe it to someone who doesn't know what X and Y are?

Hit up the local movie store (LotR should be read), if they haven't seen these classics already, they should.
DocTaotsu
That's basically what I do. I own most of the movies/series that I draw from. If it's something like GiTS I usually have a couple of episodes I throw at them so they can get a feel for what I like about it. It usually gives them some good ideas for what they want their character to be capable of... you know, besides being "Totally Awesome".

If a person doesn't know what an elf is, hasn't seen "The Matrix", and isn't at all familiar with Seven Samurai/Ronin/Mission Impossible/Ocean's 11/The A-Team/Any Story That Involves a Bunch of People With Different Skills Solving Problems With Amusing and Occassionally Explosiveful Solutions.... they probably aren't going to be interested in Shadowrun.

The non-snarky answer is that I used to attempt to describe Shadowrun on it's own, and that usually took between half and hour to an hour and people usually lost interest or got confused. By citing movies or some other memetic touchstone I can circumvent "GM Yammering Boredom" and get their imagination going as far as what kind of character they want. I usually have them if their face lights up and they say, "So I can play X who does Y?"
nathanross
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 11 2008, 08:20 PM) *
The non-snarky answer is that I used to attempt to describe Shadowrun on it's own, and that usually took between half and hour to an hour and people usually lost interest or got confused.

That's too bad. My friends who originally got me into Shadowrun had me at "Elves with machine guns".
DocTaotsu
See but that assumes that your friend has a basic understanding (and affection) of elves. And I argue that it still adheres to the "X meets Y" formula so cherished by myself.

What I used to do was basically vomit up the the history chapter of Shadowrun along with a detailed analysis of whatever element I thought the person would be interested.

Now I just say "Have you ever seen Ronin? It's like that except Robert De Niro would be played by an ork and Jean Reno would have been a troll."
Chrome Tiger
I have the fortune of having friends that either know what Shadowrun is or understand what I mean when I say it is sort like William Gibson meets Dungeons & Dragons.

Now, if I were to describe my campaign, I would say that it is a pleasant mix of X-files-esque paranoia and conspiracy, occasional Lovecraftian dark horror, and John Woo-style combat. I tend to shape the game for the best imagined dramatic effects. We tend to prefer an RP-intensive game rather than a combat/action-intensive game. It works out.
Chrysalis
Vladski that was class.

I am used to games going that way. Besides you see an elf running into the middle of a tourists, being chased by other people, you may not think "Hmm... let's stop and leisurely analyse the situation." and she throws what could be an explosive in a bag at the players.

It has happened before...

-Chrysalis
Snow_Fox

yeah, that pretty much does it for me. We have prayed with the idea of trying to convert back but never followed through. I like the idea of going back to the vault of the drow and raiding some of those noble estates- they have cross bows, we bring a mini-gun.

for more detail on people familiarwith the system we say in our world the masses can live their happy lives and never know any of this is gonig on, we are the people who work behind the scenes.
DocTaotsu
Mmm... using miniguns on drow... serves those stuck up elven bastards right. Evil elves... pssssshhht!
Shev
I've tried to incorporate large, over-arching metaplots in my games before, but it always turned to crap. My players never really read through the sourcebooks, so references to "current events" went right over their heads. I would try different ways to keep my players up to date on world news, but more often than not they wanted to get to the part where the outwitted and outfought the opposition. Which wasn't a bad thing, mind.

At the higher levels, SR kind of breaks down. Not because of gameplay mechanics, but simply because you can't be uber-powerful delta-wared out sammies or double digit initiates without losing the feeling of grit that comes from the street level.

Unfortunately my style seemed better suited for previous editions in that the shadows were really "the shadows" as opposed to the RFID and Wireless Matrix infested world it is now.

Ain't that the fraggin' truth...

When I tried to run a 4th campaign, it absolutely FLOPPED with both me and my players. To quote one of my players:

It's like Skynet and MySpace merged together and took over the world.

I can't agree more. You can't have Shadowrun without true shadows.
Divine Virus
I am just putting together a game now, and I plan on describing it about as follows.

The game is paranoid, gritty, cyberpunk...with magic. Emphasis on the paranoid, emphasis on the cyberpunk. Just about everywhere you go, you SIN will be checked and recorded- where and when you get on a bus, where and when you get off. Evertime you enter a story, how long you stay is marked. Whenever you drive through an intersection, you SIN and speed is marked. Speeding? The money comes straight out of the SIN's account- no trial no ticket. Even the public toilets keep records. Think your alone? You think no one is watching? Ha! The cameras are everywhere. Watcher Spirits are everywhere. Your only salvation is that no one gives a shit. So staying alive means staying off the radar. To compare to other works, expect plots and betrayals like that of "The Usual Suspects" or "SnowCrash," combined with "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex." For feel, think "The Stone Canal," "Fire Zone Emerald" or the original "Ghost in the Shell" graphic novel, with a splash of "Green Days in Brunei" to keep the insanity at bay. Setting? Shadowrun of course, but heavily influenced by "Transmetropolitan." and "Neuromancer."

If you don't play smart, expect to die. If you aren't paranoid, expect to die. Or worse. I will not be kind or forgiving, and I will throw at you every dirt trick your enemies have at their disposal. The bigger the Corp, the dirtier and deadlier the tricks. A bit heavy on the house rules, and more cyberpunk than fantasy (I admit I have never felt comfortable with the magic system). The House rules are mostly clearing up Matrix-related ambiguity, and providing tools-> ie scramble boxes for cars to confuse the SIN readers (highly illegal), skinlink gloves so you can use skinlink without leaving prints, and a few other pieces of tech and 'ware that I feel are lacking.

Incidentally, it will be an online game, so if it catches your interest, PM me and I'll let you know when I am recruiting.
Hatspur
Significant world event seekers. We really don't do much else except change the socio/political landscape in a big hurry, usually by accident. As a result, we tend to have lots of fun laughing and being horrified.
kanislatrans
Edit:wrong thread, my bad.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012