Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Model Mission
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
DocTaotsu
Is there a particular SRM run you all consider a model mission? Something that could be used as a go-by for writing your own modules?
BishopMcQ
Well, 02-01 and 02-25 were both written by Dunner, so you could model them off of one of those.

Honestly, if you want to get into the Missions writing, I'd start with an outline. Send the proposal in to Dunner and we can work together on helping you out. There are writer's guidelines for Missions that cover the style rules and some structuring.
the_dunner
Do you mean a model in terms of format? If that's what you're asking, they all follow pretty much the same format. From that perspective, any of the scenarios would work.

Do you mean a model in terms of plotting? In those terms, we tried to keep things fairly variable, so that it wouldn't feel like you were playing the same adventure every month.

At the same time, every mission is going to have some common elements.

They almost always start with a call from a fixer or a Mr. Johnson, followed by a hiring scene.

From there, there's almost always some variety of legwork. (Part of which will be detailed in the back in the Legwork section.)

Then, there'll usually be 2-5 scenes along the way. The content and number of these will vary depending upon the nature of the scenario. This is where things diverge the most. What follows is a brief commentary on the types of adventures. While it's probably not necessary, I'm spoilering it, just in case.
[ Spoiler ]

Most of the other scenarios are variations on these common themes, but with some different twists to keep things interesting.

Finallly, there's a Picking up the Pieces section to determine awards, followed by a Cast of Shadows to detail the NPCs.

Or, do you mean something else entirely?
DocTaotsu
Nope that's pretty much exactly what I wanted to know. I am curious what you are all using for source material since the game has shifted to NYC.
the_dunner
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ Apr 14 2008, 06:39 PM) *
I am curious what you are all using for source material since the game has shifted to NYC.

Well, back before the dawn of time, the Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America had a lengthy section on NYC, and that's definitely one of our reference points. However, Corporate Enclaves also had a brief section that updated Manhattan. Then, there's the stuff that writing team is working on. smile.gif
DocTaotsu
Sadly I was never smart enough to pick that up when I had the chance. Guess I always figured a supplement that good would get updated at some point smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012