Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: election date?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
dionysus
I'm going to go ahead and post this, knowing that I've probably missed something stupid. I'm trying to work up a campaign arc that hinges on the election, so I'm doing some homework. On p 113, Emergence, Fatima talks about the election being "4 weeks away" with a 20% lead for Brackhaven. Trouble is, on p112, Netcat's post is dated December 1st. Are the elections really held around new years? Am I missing something incredibly obvious, or did this one slip past the devs? I hunted through the relevant parts of Runner Havens, but a date for election day is never mentioned. Any help?
Fortune
I know this is not what you asked, but the election is now officially over ... Brackhaven won. smile.gif

Note: I actually had to fix that, I originally wrote Barackhaven. biggrin.gif
CanRay
And I'm still disgusted that he won.

Again, hurry up and give another Great Dragon UCAS Citizenship now!
Kyoto Kid
...hurry up and give another Great Dragon UCAS Citizenship now!

...NO! That's all we need with Hesty down there in Portland.

...maybe those ex-TT Council slots who jumped ship could do something worthwhile for a change and earn their keep.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 12 2008, 11:56 AM) *
...NO! That's all we need with Hesty down there in Portland.

...maybe those ex-TT Council slots who jumped ship could do something worthwhile for a change and earn their keep.

....Like run for UCAS president? I'm sorry, I just don't know what you're getting at there.
@Fortune: there's been times when I've accidentally said "President McCain" instead of "President McAlister." Those were in the past, though smile.gif
DocTaotsu
I'm still trying to figure out how he won.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ May 12 2008, 09:40 AM) *
....Like run for UCAS president? I'm sorry, I just don't know what you're getting at there.

...sorry, just my usual reaction as of late towards GDs assuming more power (from a much scarred veteran of Survival of the Fittest).

Just looking for a more regional solution to dealing with Brackhaven (after all this is about the Metroplex Gubernatorial election). One would think he'd be an easy target for those displaced manipulative, conniving IEs. Afterwards the Guard & UCAS forces can kick their butts out of the Plex.

'Sides, one politically ambitious GD in the region is already one too many.

QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ May 12 2008, 09:40 AM) *
....@Fortune: there's been times when I've accidentally said "President McCain" instead of "President McAlister." Those were in the past, though smile.gif

...pssst it's a conservative Republican plot I tell ya...flouridation in the water I think... grinbig.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 12 2008, 01:47 PM) *
...sorry, just my usual reaction as of late towards GDs assuming more power (from a much scarred veteran of Survival of the Fittest).

Just looking for a more regional solution to dealing with Brackhaven (after all this is about the Metroplex Gubernatorial election). One would think he'd be an easy target for those displaced manipulative, conniving IEs. Afterwards the Guard & UCAS forces can kick their butts out of the Plex.

'Sides, one politically ambitious GD in the region is already one too many.

...pssst it's a conservative Republican plot I tell ya...flouridation in the water I think... grinbig.gif

That's why I've never seen a Republican drinking water.
I totally nubbed it on the election in question. I think those meddling elves elfipulating the gubernatorial election in Seattle would be a GREAT idea. Also, I was under the impression it was mostly NON-immortal elves in Tir Tairngire? Yes, I know Ehran, but everyone else is a noob, hence the tension with Tir NaNog, right?
CanRay
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 12 2008, 11:48 AM) *

A lot of it had to do with the Technomancer threat, I think... He was offering safety and security from them, and only taking away civil rights from TECHNOMANCERS, which most people thought were monsters and should be locked up anyhow.

Add to that a heathly dose of intimidation at the Metahuman Politicos to get their consituants to not vote...

And... Well, let's just say that'll be part of my campaign, which I start in early 2070, and the election will take into consideration the upcoming election.
Kyoto Kid
...don't forget Harley, though yeah, he usually has his own twisted agenda anyway (however, it would be amusing to see Brackhaven run through one of H's fun little games). But yeah you're right, they are the only two IE's "on record" (unless you're speaking of Immoral Elves, then it refers to the whole bleedn' lot of them grinbig.gif)
Speed Wraith
Yeah, I gotta get caught up on the election, it is near the end of March 2070 in my current campagin...when's election day, anyone remember/have a reference?
CanRay
*Pokes Catalyst Game Labs Guys* Got a question for you here!

What date is the Seattle Gubernatorial Election?
NightHaunter
No surprise there.
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ May 12 2008, 01:13 PM) *
...don't forget Harley, though yeah, he usually has his own twisted agenda anyway (however, it would be amusing to see Brackhaven run through one of H's fun little games). But yeah you're right, they are the only two IE's "on record" (unless you're speaking of Immoral Elves, then it refers to the whole bleedn' lot of them grinbig.gif)

I need to re-read my TT book, I guess, and catch up on what's happened since. I was thinking Harls was more aligned with TnN than with TT. But it WOULD be awesome to see Brackhaven have to go doing all that stuff that would go below a spoiler tag if I weren't so lazy. For several reasons. And I'm actually a huge fan of the term "Immoral Elf," but I didn't want to use it there because it would have caused confusion, since I was talking about immoral elves that might not be immortal. Because those other elves in TT are jerks, too.
Fortune
QUOTE (DocTaotsu @ May 13 2008, 02:48 AM) *

How could he lose?

He's smart, likable, manipulative, and had absolutely fuck all competition. Keep in mind that this guy damn near won the federal election against the Dunkazoid in '57.
CanRay
He had competition. Unfortunetly, it wasn't good enough. frown.gif

Frankly, I see a severe step-up in crime under Brackhaven. Just to spite the rat bastard.
Zak
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 12 2008, 05:01 PM) *
He had competition. Unfortunetly, it wasn't good enough. frown.gif

Frankly, I see a severe step-up in crime under Brackhaven. Just to spite the rat bastard.

And I am pretty sure who will love that. Knight Errant and Brackhaven. Knight Errant because they might snatch the contract from LS and Brackhaven because he gets to blame the metas. Not openly of course, just like we know him for years now. cool.gif
Adarael
Here's a thought. Certain people gamed for Brackhaven because they knew he was dangerous.
They knew he'd generate resentment, and they knew he'd treat neighbors like shit. Under Brackhaven, allies might feel alienated and threatened by his ultraconservative agenda. He'd probably accellerate the sale of UCAS territory & resources to megacorps.

In short, he'd generate resentment and distrust towards the UCAS government.

Maybe people would think back to the 'glory days'. Maybe they'd want a real government again. Maybe they'd want to be able to look at their flag and think, "We, The People..."

Cue the New Revolution.
I'm just sayin'... Maybe they're engineering sympathy for their cause.
Leofski
Not buying it on the whole, although Joey was the independence candidate until she dropped out. Could be her supporters went to Brackhaven, thinking he'd bring independence. More likely they just voted for him because they were sick of Strouthers after his years in office and wanted something new. Once it was down to a two horse race the outcome was obvious.
DocTaotsu
QUOTE (Fortune @ May 12 2008, 04:46 PM) *
How could he lose?

He's smart, likable, manipulative, and had absolutely fuck all competition. Keep in mind that this guy damn near won the federal election against the Dunkazoid in '57.

*Flips back through Runner Havens*

Yeah you're options are pretty much "The Last Guy Who Sucked" and "Crazy Commie Chick".

CanRay
Hey! "The Last Guy Who Sucked" had the Shadowrunner Vote! Being an Ex-Shadowrunner and Johnson and all!

And you know, with all those Fake SINs, that can be a sizeable voting pool!

"Vote early, and vote often!" - Jon "Money" Johnson
JeffSz
Four weeks away from December 1'st....

At one point, the Roman Senate held their elections on January 3rd, I believe. Mayhaps in SR the government has reverted to that?
CanRay
Just in time to sober up from New Years.

Well, for most people.
dionysus
QUOTE (JeffSz @ May 12 2008, 07:17 PM) *
Four weeks away from December 1'st....

Well, that's the original question; was that intended or an oversight?
martindv
QUOTE (dionysus @ May 11 2008, 11:20 PM) *
I'm going to go ahead and post this, knowing that I've probably missed something stupid. I'm trying to work up a campaign arc that hinges on the election, so I'm doing some homework. On p 113, Emergence, Fatima talks about the election being "4 weeks away" with a 20% lead for Brackhaven. Trouble is, on p112, Netcat's post is dated December 1st. Are the elections really held around new years? Am I missing something incredibly obvious, or did this one slip past the devs? I hunted through the relevant parts of Runner Havens, but a date for election day is never mentioned. Any help?

Using timelines from Seattle SB and New Seattle, it would be November 2071.
Synner
QUOTE (martindv @ May 13 2008, 05:11 AM) *

November elections were indeed delayed by the technomancer/AI craze because the current electoral system is based on electronic voting and the authorities wanted to ensure they were secure against tampering. Elections were held in early January 2071. Brackhaven was elected on a "Safety and Security" platform and won by a significant margin.
Sir_Psycho
Wait, where's this info coming from? A sourcebook?
Fortune
Brackhaven's victory was alluded to in one of the books (Runner Havens?), but the rest is straight from Synner, who afterall is the guy that should know this stuff.
CanRay
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ May 13 2008, 04:25 AM) *
Wait, where's this info coming from? A sourcebook?

It's coming from the Shadowrun Developer. It's written right in his Sig.

Something tells me he's likely to know what he's talking about. nyahnyah.gif
CircuitBoyBlue
I thought being a Shadowrun developer meant you didn't know what you were talking about smile.gif
CanRay
We'll never know. That data is safely contained in the Troll's DataBoxers with the burned out Wireless.
Sir_Psycho
Gee, I thought that catalyst log was just rampant fanboyism!

I must have missed the reference in runner havens. I thought the pre-election fervor (and apathy) was the subject of Runner Havens, not the outcome.
martindv
QUOTE (Synner @ May 13 2008, 03:44 AM) *
QUOTE (martindv @ May 13 2008, 12:11 AM) *

November elections were indeed delayed ... elections were held in early January 2071.

How is that a delay?
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 12 2008, 05:57 AM) *
And I'm still disgusted that he won.

Again, hurry up and give another Great Dragon UCAS Citizenship now!

Barackhaven winning is just a natural evolution of the will of the electorate. When they actually let a dragon run for office, beyond the changed ones voting for him, people with dreams in the eyes and not reality rushedo ut and voted for him.

Now as reality re-asserts itself there is a switch back away from such a pro-changed ones outlook to the more human outlook.
CircuitBoyBlue
Well, I was talking to these swiftboat veterans, and they were saying metahumanity as a whole didn't fight in Vietnam, so maybe that's how Brackhaven won...
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (CircuitBoyBlue @ May 13 2008, 11:07 AM) *
Well, I was talking to these swiftboat veterans, and they were saying metahumanity as a whole didn't fight in Vietnam, so maybe that's how Brackhaven won...

"They didn't exist during Vietnam, there is no way they would have gone..."

Metahumans: There is no way they would have gone to Vietnam!
Daddy's Little Ninja
So they would have let humans fight their wars while the changed ones stayed safe?

This is why they were not permitted in the Imperial Forces or even the SDF.
Synner
QUOTE (martindv @ May 13 2008, 04:06 PM) *
November elections were indeed delayed ... elections were held in early January 2071.
How is that a delay?

My bad, for some reason I read your post as November 2070. Lindstrom's term was supposed to end in late 2064, and he threw in his hat for the presidential race. Unfortunately the regular electoral (local and national) calender was one of the casualties of the Crash of 64, particularly given that much of the voting was electronic and Seattle and the UCAS were a mess. The local race has been off by a couple of years ever since.

Brackhaven's victory in the elections was referenced in last month's "Ghost Cartels"-themed Shadowrun Chat, since it will play a passing role in the upcoming campaign book.
vladski
QUOTE (martindv @ May 13 2008, 10:06 AM) *
How is that a delay?

Yeah, in the SR scheme of adhering to schedules, that's fairly promptly on time. wink.gif

Vlad, We kid because we love.
vladski
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ May 13 2008, 03:29 PM) *
So they would have let humans fight their wars while the changed ones stayed safe?

This is why they were not permitted in the Imperial Forces or even the SDF.

Wait, wait... you are saying that Emperor Palpatine wouldn't let the trolls be storm troopers? No wonder the idjit lost!

*Idly wonders who would win the melee fight... a wookie or a troll.*

Vlad
Fortune
I definitely recall a reference to one of his bills being passed (about technomancers?), or put into effect or something like that in one of the books.
Snow_Fox
You do know I'm not going to be able to think of him as anything but "Barackhaven" right? rotfl.gif

I'm guessing a level of rising tnesion between the humanis poster boy president and the DIMR. My money's on the DIMR, the big D's more than a match for Humanis even 10 years in the ground.
CanRay
I'm not so sure... His written, known plans ended the same year as Crash 2.0.

But I'm sure there's hidden parts of that will that haven't come out yet... And there's still ShadowLand's Veterans that vowed to avenge one of their own!

The UCAS may have cleared Brackhaven of the charges, but not everyone else has yet!
Snow_Fox
My point is his stripes are well known and he ain't changing them. he's humanis to the core and that's going to lead him to plans that will be in opposition to the very pro-meta DIMR and they will push back at him.
CanRay
Oh, not denying that. Or that the ol' Wizwyrm still doesn't have a few tricks up his scaled sleeve!

I still think the JiffyPop bit is sinister in some way!
martindv
QUOTE (Synner @ May 13 2008, 06:51 PM) *
Unfortunately the regular electoral (local and national) calender was one of the casualties of the Crash of 64, particularly given that much of the voting was electronic and Seattle and the UCAS were a mess. The local race has been off by a couple of years ever since.

Right
CircuitBoyBlue
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Postponing an election by a few weeks in the wake of a catastrophe would raise eyebrows in a national election. Postponing it by months would be considered practically a coup. Putting off a local race by years would require MAJOR legal action, like constitutional amendments.
Kyoto Kid
QUOTE (CanRay @ May 13 2008, 08:04 PM) *
Oh, not denying that. Or that the ol' Wizwyrm still doesn't have a few tricks up his scaled sleeve!

I still think the JiffyPop bit is sinister in some way!

...I think that was FizzyPop.

...and as for Kenny, isn't there still a ghost in his closet as I last recall? grinbig.gif
Synner
QUOTE (martindv @ May 14 2008, 04:34 PM) *
Right

Presidential elections were held less than a year later, once the legal mess of an assassinated President and a missing Vice President was sorted out and some semblance of order had returned to the UCAS. The elections for Seattle Governor were suspended for close to a year and a half (Lindstrom's term was supposed to end around the time of the Crash, in 2064), during which time Seattle was in a state of emergency (like many parts of the country) following the Crash 2.0.

People seem to be underestimating the magnitude of the Second Crash. For the first six months of 2065, the country and the world were still reeling: networks and communications were in shambles; numerous areas of the country were without power, entire grids were down thanks to Winternight's EMP cascade; the UCAS was burying and greiving not hundreds, but tens of thousands of people; no government institution was untouched and critical figures were MIA or dead; there had been at least one secret coup and more attempts in several North American nations; important figures in government were unaccounted for, and others were arrested for treason; almost everyone lost someone they knew, family or friend; the economy, corporations and production lines had ground to a halt and faced an uphill battle to get back in gear—hard when all the elements of the infrastructure, the logistics of supply and demand, and even the usually dependable wageslaves were all still working their way through the aftershocks. The megacorps were more resilient, but they too took a while to shake off the hit, and when they did they focused on themselves, their citizens, and their bottomlines.

Elections weren't on anyone's mind, and in crazy messed up world most of the shell-shocked survivors were happy just to have a stable authority figure at the helm (be it in Washington or in the Seattle Governor's office).

During this time Governor Lindstrom's mandate was extended for the duration of the emergency with the support of the United Corporate Council and federal emergency authorities. Elections were held in mid-2066.
CanRay
Which is why I fully support Strouthers. He had a tough job rebuilding everything after Crash 2.0, and did a great job!

It only looks bad because it was so much worse to begin with. But, as with all elections, it's a case of, "Sure, but what have you done for us lately?".

While I know the outcome of the election, I'm still going to have some fun with it in my campaign, which'll start in early 2070.

That, and the Halfer was a Shadowdenzien! He knows how Seattle works, darnit! He had all my SINs votes!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012