Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greenhorns in Seattle
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
imperialus
13:20 January 1st 2070 --Somewhere in the Seattle Metroplex--

It’s a cold miserable day outside, freezing rain and light snow have iced up the streets just enough to make walking down the sidewalk a chore. The tenement windows are still decorated with displays of Christmas lights and depending on the area of the city you’re in the debris of last nights festivities litter the streets. The newsnet is reporting rolling blackouts in Everett and forecasting a cold front with temperatures approaching –15 Celsius. Your comlink has just downloaded a new song called End of Days (click for link) by a local musician named Dark Angel who recently made the news after a tragic, and messy suicide. The flashing adds inform you that it’s the first single of a long anticipated album he had secretly been working on at the time of his death. It is available for pre-order for 32 nuyen.gif from Xanadu Studios.

Suddenly your comlink buzzes with and informs you of an incoming text message. The handle comes up as
<<Tinman_Uses_APDS >>
<<Subject: Job opportunity>>
If the handle is legit you think this might be the call you were waiting for. A friend of yours who knew you were looking for work had said he would mention your name to a shadowfixer named Tinman and put in a good word for you. When you open the message it reads:
<<I understand you are looking for work. I might have a job opportunity for you. Please meet me at Crushers at 20:00 and we can meet for a drink>>
Seraph Kast
14:01 January 1st 2070 --Duncan's Apartment, Everett--

Shivering inside his currently powerless apartment Duncan listens to the new song for about the sixth time as he gives up trying to scrounge up something to eat. He'd gone ahead and paid for the song, figuring that he could afford something nice today. Plus, it was pretty catchy.

Stupid power. What a wonderful new year this is going to be.

Sighing heavily, he pulls on the warmest clothes he has, and tries to plan a route to the Redmond barrens. An AR overlay pops up over his vision as he calls up a map on his commlink. He'd need to carry something obvious if he wanted to get through Redmond without much trouble...which meant a longer route to get there.

Of course. Well, time to visit the Underground. Maybe they'll have hot food.

Throwing a glance around the room, he grabbed his armored jacket, and both of his pistols, secreting the smaller in its shoulder holster, the larger on his hip. Duncan slipped out of his apartment, heading out into the freezing cold. He'd head towards the ork-run bar down a couple blocks that had an access to the Underground. From there, into Downtown, then back to the surface to head into Redmond. Grimacing as he exited his apartment building into the icy air, Duncan queued up the track again and tried to make headway into the wind.
JoelHalpern
1300 January 1st 2070 -- Mack Garvin's Warehouse / Residence
Sitting around, listing to soothing music (Bach Concerto), while surfing for some good sports, probably biking from somewhere south. They don't run combat bike matches up here in the winter. Would it be a more interesting match in really bad weather?

Mack's been up about 2 hours, had some breakfast. Was not a bad gathering last night, though not like when I knew all the folks in the unit.

Some new song called End of Days just showed up. huh? got to get a better filter for the link. Listens to a bit of the song. not to my taste. Rummages around trying to figure out what's being promoted. Oh, another dead singer.

Text message arrives from <<Tinman_Uses_APDS >>.
That must be the guy the Captain mentioned.
Hmmm. 10 pm, At Crushers...
If I call Heavy Cabs, they can take me about a klick or so from there. I hope the weather breaks, or the walk from there will be less than pleasant.

Spends about an hour doing other things, then. sends a short message back: <<Will be there>>
Also sends a message to the Captain <<Thanks for the reference>>

Then contacts Heavy Cabs to get transportation. They are not great cabs, but they do not complain about damage for hauling a big guy around. Arranges transportation to pick him up about 18:30. Assuming nothing intervenes, will get to Crusher Bob's a bit early, eat a bit, down a beer, and see what happens.

At about 18:20, picks up a lined coat, commlink, earbuds, about 15 throwing knives, and a survival knife. Three knives in each boot. Three sets of three at the waist. Tuck the medikit into a pocket on general principle. Commlink set to "Willie Gross", and catch the cab.

JoelHalpern
1500 January 1st 2070 -- Mack Garvin's Warehouse / Residence

It suddenly occurs to Mack to wonder if he set things up right.
What time did I call the cab for?
Fortunately, checking, he discovers that although he had confused the meet time, he had called the cab for the right time.

Dusty Ghost
13:31 January 1st 2070 -- Sweeps Apartment --

What a night! While those office dick heads were busy partying to yet another ending of another painfully profitless year, Sweeps was busy routing through draws in their houses. And what did he find on such a hard working night? NOTHING! Not a god dammed thing!!

No dirt, no expensive mistakes to exploit, not even any decent jewelry!! What he did get, he got the Street Kid - Jimmy - to run it around and get rid of it, and for a lousy 450 nuyen.gif ! He gave the kid 20 for his hard work. He hated doing that, cheaping on the kid, but cash really was tight!

Sweeps sighed to himself and put on the track he downloaded. Nice! Just what he needed to get his mind quiet. He felt his throat was dry where he had taken his last shot of Jazz. God I need to kick that stuff. If I weren't so f**king wired on that shit last night I may have seen something better than the Christmas cracker jewlery...... no..... NO!..... get into the music...... enjoy the-

Music goes dead and the comlink tones to tell Sweeps he has a message

"God damn it!!" He sighs, he opens his eyes and glares at the comlink.

A text only message! That got his attention, the message was from Tinman, some guy Flipper had told Sweeps about.
<<Tinman_Uses_APDS >>
<<Subject: Job opportunity>>.
<<I understand you are looking for work. I might have a job opportunity for you. Please meet me at Crushers at 20:00 and we can meet for a drink>>

Sweeps stared at the message for a moment. Maybe someone was watching over him after all. Work! Paid work too! Hopefully.

Later on nearer 21.30, Sweeps grabbed his bike jacket and headed to the door. As he passed the cabinet near the door he paused and thought for a while. After a couple of seconds he opened the cabinet and holstered up his Raecor Sting, and hooked it into it's armslide and took a spare clip of ammo. He also grabbed his Ceramic Knife and stuffed it into his boot for good measure..... Just in case......
Dusty Ghost
19:35 January 1st 2070 -- Sweeps Apartment --

Sweeps is kicking himself as he rushes back into his appartment,

He looks around quickly and finds what he's looking for, his new Armor Jacket. Nearly forgot his basic protection. Dumbass!

He rushes out the door again.
Mickle5125
1300 January 1st 2070 -- Faith Catholic Church, Father Marx's Office.

Padre smiles as he nods to the homeless woman. " Yes, of course, Mrs. Smith. You're welcome to stay here at the church until the weather improves. Why don't you take your children on downstairs to the Fellowship Hall. Several of the ladies from the congregation are still serving hot meals."

As Mrs. Smith ushers her children out of the office, Padre lets the smile drop and lets out a sigh as he looks over to the monitor showing what's going on in the Fellowship Hall. So many homeless... We simply don't have the money to feed and shelter them all. I'm afraid I need to go and acquire more money, or else we're in some serious trouble.

Padre makes his way to the sanctuary, falls to his knees before the alter, and begins praying for a job. Just as he finishes, his commlink signals an incoming message.

<<Tinman_Uses_APDS >>
<<Subject: Job opportunity>>.

Padre smiles. Ask, and the Lord shall provide. Thanks be to God.

Quickly, he changes out of his priestly vestments, into his street clothing(complete with armored jacket) and sends a message to the church's secretary.

<<My_Father's_Work>>
<<Subject: Shepherding>>
<<Message: One of God's Flock is in need of assistance. I shall be unavailable until further notice. The Lord's protection be upon you.>>.

Sending the message, Padre makes his way out of the church and in the direction of Crusher's.
Nigel
1340 January 1st 2070 -- Locyr's Apartment

Locyr is sitting in his apartment, listening to the song his comm just downloaded. Interesting vocals, but the melody leaves something to be desired. Eh, not really my taste anyway.

Text message arrives from <<Tinman_Uses_APDS>> A job? That's good. I've been short on those lately, and I gotta survive somehow. I guess I'll be at Crushers, then.

He goes to get food, and realizes he doesn't have any after paying rent. Oh well, I guess I'll eat on the way to meet Tinman. I'll try to find time, anyway. He sits back down in his chair and begins reading a book, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy while waiting to meet Tinman.

1900 January 1st 2070 -- Locyr's Apartment
Putting on a heavy coat to insulate himself from the weather, Locyr sets his commlink to Passive and arms himself with his Needler discreetly. No sense provoking anyone, right?

He goes outside, gets on his Contrail, and goes to the nearest fast food joint with decent food.
imperialus
18:50 January 1st 2070 --Crushers Bar’n Grill, Redmond Seattle--"

Mack: The cab drops you off about a block away from Dante’s Inferno, you pay the cabbie 30 nuyen.gif and begin walking the twenty minutes or so it will take for you to get to Crushers. The cold front hits as the sun goes down and the wind whistles through the boarded up buildings cutting through your winter clothing. At least the weather is coming off the mountains so it’s clearing some of the omnipresent smog and the snow has let up. The streets seem strangely subdued as you thread your way through the ever-present debris, even the chipheads and thrill gangs are seeking shelter around small fires built into basements and no one is willing to hassle a troll walking purposefully down the street.

You arrive at Crushers and realize you’re the first patron of the evening. After glancing over the menu you order a krill burger and soyfries with a beer to wash the taste out of your mouth for 15 nuyen.gif . Over the next half hour it begins to fill up however and at seven thirty the evenings live entertainment steps up to the dingy stage. You cringe slightly inside as you see four trolls and a dwarf start tuning their instruments. You’re people may be known for a lot of things but great taste in music is not one of them. Your fears are justified as the growling vocals and buzz saw riffs of classic trog metal (link) begin to pump through the speakers. The dwarf drummer seems particularly manic, with a long Viking style beard and a pair of fake troll horns attached to his head grinning psychotically as he pounds on his drum kit like it owes him money. Just before eight you see a large man in a heavy overcoat enter through the front door and walk purposefully towards a booth in the back with a glance and a nod at Crusher Bob. Bob walks over to your seat his head bobbing in time to the ‘music’ and tips his head in the direction of the booth saying “Tinman’s back dere.�

As the rest of you arrive the band is in full swing (link), but apart from a few enthusiastic troll gangers the rest of the patrons are studiously ignoring them, their attention focused on whatever shady deals they are plotting. You’re all directed towards the booth in the back, fortunately it’s far enough away that the noise from the band is muted enough to hear each other. You sit down across from the man you certainly hope is named Tinman. He’s still wearing his overcoat, though he’s unbuttoned it and a camouflaged T-shirt is visible underneath the layers of clothing. You also notice the butt of a pistol peaking out from a shoulder holster. Both of his hands are chrome and his eyes are solid sliver.

Perception roll for Mack (1d6=1, 1d6=1, 1d6=2, 1d6=4, 1d6=1, 1d6=3) (0 successes)

Perception roll for Hex (1d6=4, 1d6=6, 1d6=2, 1d6=1, 1d6=5) (2 successes)

Hex: you notice that his skull appears to be cyber as well. It actually looks like an early prototype of a synthetic cyberskull. It was state of the art, about 10 years ago. This model though tended to cause odd skin discolorations, particularly around the neck and eyes making it obvious to anyone who knows what they’re looking for.

Tinman is sitting at the end of the booth with his back to the wall mechanically alternating between sips of a glass of clear liquid that he occasionally tops up with a flask from his jacket pocket and long drags from a particularly foul smelling cigarette. The lettering on the pack is in Cyrillic and you pause for a moment wondering how the heck he got his hands on Russian cigarettes in Seattle, or why he went to the effort for that matter. He acknowledges everyone with a nod and a grunt as they sit down but he doesn’t say anything until everyone arrives at which point he makes a point of glancing at an old wristwatch and says in a thick Slavic accent.

“It is good dat you are on time. It is showing… enthusiasm. I am calling you here because I know lady with job that might interest you da? I am hearing that you need work.�

he glances purposefully at Padre.

“And you should not be being worried Priest. She is assuring me that it should not interfere with your… morality� he almost spits the word.

As Tinman speaks a young and very attractive looking elf woman approaches the table and pulls a chair up at the end of the booth. She is wearing bluejeans and a vintage armoured combat biking jacket with the logo of the now defunct Fuchi Cyber-Knights combat biking team on it. A motorcycle helmet is cradled under her right arm. Her jacket is unzipped and underneath she is wearing a black suit of form fitting body armour, though it almost seems like it’s more of a fashion statement than anything else. You also notice an Ares Viper strapped to her thigh. Her hair is cut into a multi coloured mowhawk laying flat down one side of her head. Her right scalp has a tattoo of an old school datajack on it. She sits down at the end of the table and puts her feet up on the seat beside Loki, and you think she might have just winked at him. Tinman’s eyes narrow slightly as he looks at the new addition.

“You are late.� She gives Tinman a somewhat petulant look as she puts a piece of Betel (a highly addictive caffinated chewing gum) into her mouth.

“Well gosh gee, I’m sorry. You know us girls, I had to finish doing my hair. Seriously you tin can, have you seen the roads out there? I got here as fast as I could. Besides, aren’t you going to introduce me? Nevermind, I’ll do it myself.� She waves her hand with a flourish as razorblades extend from under her fingernails. “Sybercat at your service! Hacker, rigger and razorgirl extraordinaire.�

Tinman grunts with a slightly amused grin on his face. “Da, and now everyone is knowing Sybercat. She is friend of mine, I am bringing her on board to be helping. She is big pain in my ass, but she is nova hot deck… hacker. Now that that is out of the way… If you are still being interested, your Madam Johnson is wishing to meet you tonight at club Chiaroscuro at ten of the clock. You should be asking the bartender for Icelady. If there is being anything you require, or any questions please ask me now.�

Tinman then buys a round of drinks and you spend the next hour or so chatting. Tinman becomes more talkative over the alcohol and begins telling war stories, both about his time in the Desert Wars and what he considers to be his more 'infamous' runs. Sybercat calls him on a few of his more extravagant stories but Tinman also mentions some sound advice. At around nine thirty Sybercat puts a stop to the stories when she interrupts, saying.

“Well we should get going if we’re going to make the meet. Does anyone need a ride? My van is parked over at the Yellow Brick Road. ElfinFace was changing the radiator after some punk sec-guard put a hole in it last week. I’ll be back in five.� at that she leaves the bar.

*Edit: Important* Everyone gets a new skill. Knowledge: Running at rating 1. Roll this if you feel stuck or want advice on anything in game. Detail your question in the OOC thread and I'll provide advice, give a ruling ect.
Seraph Kast
21:30 January 1st 2070 --Crusher's Bar, Redmond Barrens--

Hex cocks his head to the side. "Well, it's been fun chatting and listening to the...music. But I don't really feel like trying to walk anywhere in this crap, so I'm gonna catch a ride with her," nodding after the retreating form of Sybercat.

He then opens a link to Tinman briefly, <<A tip for the tip. Thanks.>> Hex sends him 50 nuyen.gif by way of tip, hoping it's not some sort of faux pas. But then, he figured people generally appreciate money. Glancing around at the other runners, he nods at them, gives a curious look at the guy Tinman called a priest, and heads outside, glances around to get his bearings on where The Yellow Brick Road is, and heads that way, trying to catch up with Sybercat.
Nigel
21:25 January 1st 2070 -- Crusher's Bar, Redmond Barren

Greetings, Tinman. Good to see you're doing well. I'll be at the Chiaroscuro at 10. Loki turns to Sybercat. Well, Sybercat, I'm Loki. I talk to people. Glad to know you can hack, though - that's always useful. I've got my own ride, though. See ya there. Loki again says to Tinman, I'm out.

Loki gets up, gets on his Contrail, and heads toward the club. Getting there at about 5 to 10, he says to the bartender: Hey. You know where Icelady is? I was told to meet her here. He heads toward the direction indicated, and sits down near Icelady. You Icelady? I'm Loki. Nice to meet you. he says to her.
Dusty Ghost
21:30 January 1st 2070 --Crusher's Bar, Redmond Barrens--

Sweeps could here the wailing of the band half way up the street to Crushers Bar. As he rounded the corner to the main door he sighed and readied himself for the blast of noise to come. He pulled the handle on the door and was not disappointed. The dwarf at the drums was going mental by this time.

Sweeps moved to the bar and signalled an ugly looking barman he could only assume to be Crusher Bob.
"I'm looking for Tinman" Sweeps shouted above the noise.
Bob signals to a booth in the corner. "Him and ya friends are over there"

Friends? Sweeps orders a beer and hands over 4 nuyen.gif . After sipping the vile liquid and glancing at the booth, Sweeps makes his way over.

After introductions and small talk, he had a chance to study the Tinman. Appropriate name.

The others there seemed sound enough. All of them had talents, all of them brought something to whatever the job was going to be.

The priest intrigued him the most. The Shadows were certainly not the place for salvation, though if the big cheese himself could get on their side, because one of his priests were there, then all the better.

Later a very dangerous looking woman came over. He was intrigued to find out she's a hacker. Hacking is something he had admiration for. It was so similar to his own tastes. Stealthing in, stealing information, avoiding security. The 2nd crash had shaken him way too badly to tempt him to give it a go though. His own neighbour had been turned into a gibbering vegetable, and since then, the thought of hacking and getting your grey matter fried by an IC, just wasn't appealing anymore. But he still found himself impressed by the striking woman before him. Then he saw the razor blade nails and thought better that to try and get too cosy with her.

Once the next meet was finalised and small talk started to run out, everyone started to leave.

Sweeps waited for most of the team to leave the table before turning to Tinman:

"Anything else we should know before she comes back" He said, pointing a thumb to the door Sybercat just left through.
"Anything else we might need?"
JoelHalpern
18:50 January 1st, 2070 -- Crusher Bob's Vicinity
(Mack)
The cab got me relatively nearby. Gave him a 5 nuyen.gif tip on the 30 nuyen.gif fare.
Walked in to Crushers. The whole areas quiet because of the weather. Not a pleasant walk, but it actually makes the lined coat worthwhile.

The bar is practically empty no customers, not even a full staff yet. Oh well.
Go up to the bar. "What's on for food?"
Order the Krill Burger, and a large beer. Add a 5 nuyen.gif tip to the 15 nuyen.gif tab. Captain always said to tip barkeeps well. And that's probably the owner.

Ugg. They call that music? Worse, they call it Troll music.

The barkeep points me to the booth in back.
I walk over, and stand waiting. "Hello. I will let the others get seated."
Once everyone is in, I sit down.
Once Sybercat has been introduced "Nice shirt. Good team."
Then listen to the rest of the conversation.

At the end, as Sybercat gets up "I could use the ride."
Give her a few minutes, then head for the door.
Mickle5125
18:50 January 1st 2070 --Crushers Bar’n Grill, Redmond Seattle--

Padre lets a small smile grace his face while Tinman talks, until Tinman makes his comment about his morality, during which he lets it bloom into a broad smile. "I appreciate your concern for my morality, my friend, but you need not trouble yourself. The Lord will understand all that I must do in His service."

For the rest of the meeting, Padre calmly and quietly listens to Tinman talk, only drinking enough to be polite. He smiles and nods to Sybercat as she introduces herself, but mostly sits back and observes the group. He realizes that the others were curious about why a priest would be joining a run and smiles to himself. They should appreciate my presence. The Lord shall guide our path, after all, for it is in His Name that I serve and act.

As Sybercat makes her way to the door, Padre quickly stands and utters a quick blessing over those at the table before hurrying to her side. "Ah, Miss Sybercat, if it's not too much trouble, I would like to take you up on the offer for a ride. Thank you."
imperialus
21:30 January 1st 2070 --Crushers Bar’n Grill, Redmond Seattle--

Loki: As you leave the bar, and walk to your bike disabling the security system you hear Sybercat’s voice behind you.

“Hoi! Loki!� Turning around you see Sybercat walk towards a tricked out streetbike parked beside yours and which turns on and begins idling as she approaches. “Why don’t you take the van with the rest of us? Come with me, we’ll drop your bike off at the Yellow Brick Road, it’ll be safe there and it’ll save freezing your ass off in this weather.� As she gets on her bike your recognize the smile she flashes your way, you’ve seen it hundreds of times before. You think to yourself, hrm… mixing business with pleasure. This might get interesting. Could complicate matter too, but she is good looking.

Hex: You walk out of Crushers just in time to see the brake lights of Loki’s and Sybercat’s bikes disappearing down the street. There’s no way you’re catching up with them. A moment later Tinman and the rest of the team emerges behind you.

Sweeps: You and Tinman are the last to leave the bar. As you mention “Anything else we might need?� Tinman snaps his fingers, remembering something. “Da! Almost forgot!� when you get outside to wait for Sybercat he reaches into a pocket in his jacket and hands you a wad of UCAS hard currency in a range of denominations. “Sometimes it is good to have some cash money in your pocket. You can be giving it to people without datatrail. Excellent for bribes. Consider this to be a gift to the team. If you need more come to me, I can sell it to you.� The wad of cash totals 5000 $ (1000 nuyen.gif ) and has everything from 1 dollar bills to 100’s.

Mack: At your mention of Combat Biking Sybercat strikes up a conversation with you about the merits of different teams, some of the new rules introduced last season, and what a pity it was that Renold (the crusher) McGowan was killed just short of finishing his run to the record book.

Padre: When you bless the table Tinman raises an eyebrow but otherwise says nothing. Once you’re in the van en route to Club Chiaroscuro Sybercat says. “I wouldn’t worry too much about Tinman Padre. He just has issues with priests, he’ll warm up to you though. Remember that streetpreacher serial killer oh 15 or so years ago? Yeah, he killed a good friend of Tinman’s and sold his body to Tamanous. Of course Tinman returned the favor and sold the streetpreacher to a pack of ghouls.�

After a few minutes an unmarked black delivery van with tinted windows pulls up to the curb. You see Loki riding shotgun and Sybercat hanging her elbow out of the drivers window, a cigarette dangling from her fingers. The side door slides open revealing a passenger compartment cluttered with electronic equipment, a smashed up rotodrone, shell casings, and fast food wrappers. “Sorry, it’s a mess. Till it got shot up I was on a stakeout and practically living in here. Just shove stuff around so there’s room.� As you pile into the van Tinman waves goodbye and says.

“You kids be having fun. Call if you need anything. Don’t be worrying about your bike Sweeps. I’ll have the boys be bringing it to the Yellow Brick Road.� at that he turns up the collar of his jacket and begins walking down the street.

Loki: While en route to Club Chiaroscuro (which is located in Downtown Seattle a couple blocks away from the Space Needle) you remember why it sounds familiar. You’ve gone there a few times, it’s very popular among wage mages and other awakened inhabitants of the metroplex. It’s fairly comfortable and laid back despite the owner’s obsession with creating a faux Middle Eastern atmosphere. As might be expected magic is commonplace there with the wage mages themselves providing much of the entertainment either with periodic contests to summon the most interesting spirit, create interesting illusions, or just weird magical cantrips and illusions in general. Mundane’s aren’t exactly unwelcome but it is definitely a wizard bar.
Dusty Ghost
21:35 January 1st 2070 --Sybercats Van - En-route--

Sweeps makes himself cosy in the back of the van.

He looks around at his new padres and says:

"Hey guys, Tinman's alright, he left us all a little gift to help us along." With that he hands out the cash equally to the team.
They're all going to be working together and no one knows how long for, so he wants them to know they can trust him to be a team player.

"I think this should helps us out. eh?"
Nigel
2135 January 1st 2070 -- Sybercat's Van en route to Chiaroscuro

"Thanks Sweeps. That should help out." This Sweeps guy might be worth something to me. Let's see what develops.

As they're on the way there, Loki strikes up a conversation with Sybercat, making it clear he'd like to continue it at his place when they're done.

"This club we're going to, Chiaroscuro, is pretty magic-heavy. Just a heads-up so the wired ones here know that they might get some strange looks, and to not panic if weird things start appearing. You know how wage mages are." Loki says to the rest of the group.
Dusty Ghost
2135 January 1st 2070 -- Sybercat's Van en route to Chiaroscuro

"Weird things, huh? We should fit right in then! Ha!"
imperialus
21:55 January 1st 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--
The van arrives at Club Chiaroscuro just before the meet. Fortunately there is no line to get in, just a bored and cold looking bouncer standing at the front door. Loki, you casually palm him a few bucks as you comment on the lousy weather and easy as that you’re in. Inside you find the décor to be nice enough, if a little overstated. Fabric covers the walls and rather than having traditional tables and booths the well dressed patrons cluster around short tables while lounging on cushions and pillows which are trimmed in a deep, luminescent violet, triggered by black lights in the floor. Colored lamps flash from the ceiling, in time to the music, creating multihued shadows on the ground. Electric trance music (link) is pumping through the speakers at a perfect volume either to dance to or carry on a conversation over, while a dozen or so patrons spin across a mirrored dance floor and two air elementals dance on a small stage above the dance floor. Behind the bar a well dressed woman manages the bar staff and two trolls dressed like something out of 1001 Arabian nights stand at either end of the bar. The air smells vaguely of deepweed smoke, a marijuana like substance that is favored by the awakened. You notice a number of posters advertising that Dark Angel is supposed to be giving a live performance tonight. Someone has scrawled “In Memoriam� underneath his face on one of them. You also notice that there is no AR interface for the club, in fact the matrix seems like it’s almost completely dead. There doesn’t even seem to be a way to order drinks, the waiters are bringing drinks to tables almost as if they are psychic and the patrons are paying in odd gold coloured coins.

Loki and Padre: Your astral senses pick up the real party. Shadows and balls of light chase each other across the room and cheerful auras hover over the drinkers. Most of them display the deeply coloured aura’s of the awakened. Above the crowd, a dozen miniature spirits hover, three-foot tall apparitions resembling men and women. These spirits appear to be dressed in tight jeans, silk shirts, and shaded sunglasses and drink from tiny glasses. Occasionally one of them will be flagged down by a patron at which point it will fly across the room to the bar where a waiter will be dispatched with their drink order.

Loki: You know that the drink tokens and astral waiters are one of the idiosyncrasies of the club designed to make it more exclusive to mages. When first arriving patrons buy tokens from the bar and then place their orders through the watcher spirits that circulate the club. Mundane patrons need to either ask an awakened friend to place their order for them or physically go up to the bar. Use of AR is frowned on here and you notice that Sybercat looks somewhat off balance.

As you approach the bar the woman cocks an eyebrow at some of your attire and presumably aura’s but quickly composes herself, smiles and says in a quiet musical tone
“evening folks, name’s Julie, what can I do for you?�

A quick word that you’re here to meet Icelady and she directs you to follow one of the spirits into a curtained private booth. Inside you find Icelady nursing some sort of mixed drink. She’s human, of average height and has a tangle of black hair and dark red rimmed eyes, on each cheek she has a small tattoo of a wing. She seems like she’s somewhat underdressed for the club and her voice almost drips with anger. After introducing yourselves she seems to warm up a bit, but not much.

“You ever hear of Dark Angel? Maybe not. He was a street rocker, with a pretty hot career. If he’s played the recording game, he’d have been a nova. Well anyway I was… close with Angel. You scan?�

“Couple of weeks ago, I find out the hard way that Angel geeked himself. Guess he used a match and chem-gas cause Lone Star pulled his roasted remains out of some BTL joined called Heaven. That’s in Lowell, down in Everett. The coroner called it suicide and calked it up to a bad chip.�

“Angel’s ashes weren’t even cold when word hit the street. Turns out some slut calling herself Dynamo Blue owns al Angel’s music. She’s flashing around a signed and validated will giving her full title to all his songs. Her studio, Xanadu, is already taking preorders for a Dark Angel album and the single’s already in the UCAS top 40.�

“It doesn’t scan. Something’s fucked. Angel always refused to record his songs, shit, he wouldn’t even play the big clubs, claimed it was some kind of artistic thing. So I work like a God damn slave to pay his rent and now this joygirl Dynamo is making a fragging fortune off him.�

“If Angel’s songs belong to anyone, they belong to me. You get them for me, and I’ll pay you ten grand each. If Dynamo scragged Angel and you can prove it, the will is hosed and you’ll get your nuyen. If you can’t do that, I’m sure you can somehow encourage the bitch to give up the songs, you scan? I’ll leave the details to you. I can give you each 1000 nuyen up front but I can’t afford more right now.�

Seraph Kast
21:36 January 1st 2070 --Sybercat's Van, en route to Chiaroscuro--

"Well, as long as I don't have to get another lecture from one of them about how I'm 'destroying my soul' or whatever, I'm sure I'll fit right in!" Hex says with a grin. He was crammed in the back along with the other members, idly cycling through some music on his commlink.

Hopefully Icelady's name turns out to be ironic. It's cold enough outside tonight
Nigel
2158 January 1st 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, Icelady's booth

"Yeah, I've heard of Dark Angel. Sounds like a raw deal for you, having some bitch waltz in and take all the money he owed you. I'm in if the rest of this crew is." Loki says to Icelady. Wonder if I can wring any more money out of her tonight. Eh, she seems pretty down on her luck, and I know how that goes. I'll leave her be. "Hey, Icelady, do you know of anybody I could contact for more information about Dark Angel? It could definitely help me track down who it was deposed of him."

[ Spoiler ]
Seraph Kast
22:02 1st January 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown--

Hex watches the rest of the team members as Icelady tells her story, feeling mildly guilty for having bought the song earlier. Oh well, he thinks, it could be worse.

"Seems like we need to get access to the girl, and probably the will as well. If Angel was so dead-set against selling out, I can't imagine it's not faked."
He turns towards Icelady, "Did Angel usually use stuff like BTL's? Did you know who was selling to him?"
JoelHalpern
2205 January 1st 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, Icelady's booth

After listening to the conversation for a while, Mack comments:
"Icelady, it seems we ought to be able to do something for you. I am game to try."
Turns to Loki, "can you get us another table to talk at, after we finish with the good lady?"

I thought Tinman said something about handling that sort of comment via the comlink. I suppose we need to exchange handles.

Nigel
2205 January 1st 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, Icelady's Booth

After partaking in the conversation for a while and making note of any details Icelady gave him regarding Dark Angel's contacts, Loki says "Gladly. Will you excuse us for a moment, my dear woman?" he says to Mack and Icelady in turn. Getting up, he leads Mack to a separate table, fairly secluded.

"What's up? Having second thoughts?"
JoelHalpern
2206 January 1st 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, extra booth

No second thoughts Loki.
Much simpler. None of us know each other. We don't know what we can do.
I figure we are all working on Tinman's reputation and his selecting us. Which is good enough for me.
I am pretty sure I am not the planner for this bunch.
So I think we need to sit down together and chat just a bit.
But first, find out all you can from the good lady who is prepared to pay us.
I'll hold down this table for now.

If we need a place for a longer conversation, I have an idea. But talking here seems simple.
Nigel
2207 January 1st 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, Extra Booth

"I see. So you're thinking that, before we go on a run together, we should actually meet each other. Sounds good to me...I must get back to Icelady, though, so I can get more information. I'll see you in a few minutes, then, assuming she doesn't keep us much longer than that. If so, I'll let you know. Loki goes back to Icelady's booth and sits down, excusing his absence.
imperialus
2207 January 1st 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

Loki: Icelady shrugs. "Well your best bet is probably to check with some of his rocker friends, a pack of small time go-gangers from Tacoma that called themselves "The Fallen Heroes". But they were really more of a band. The bunch of them had this empty lot, they called it the Partyzone where they went to jam. All the local street types would turn out to listen... The band itself had four other's in it. The backup guitarist and drummer are a pair of brothers, Bryan and Drew. Drew's decent enough, but Bryan's a nasty piece of work. Nolan deals with the syth work. Last but not least their bassist was some chick called Persian."

Hex: "No, he didn't... Not that I knew of at least. Sure we did drugs, everyone does but never anything serious. Angel used to like smoking deepweed whenever he hung out with me here, helped him fit in... Bryan's hooked on Cram, but other than that the band was pretty clean. I heard the crew running Heaven is called the Golden Gators. They seem like a pretty garden variety batch of drug pushers. Nothing special, I've never dealt with them before."
Nigel
2208 January 1st 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, Icelady's Booth

Thank you for the information. I'll see what I can do with it.
Seraph Kast
22:08 1st January 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

"Well, that's someplace to start. If they deal, they must know the locals, someone had to sell him the stuff." Hex pauses for a minute, thinking. "Well, I think we're all getting ahead of ourselves. I think we," he says, gesturing at the other runners, "need to sort everything out about this. Personally, I'm in, though."

"What's the best way to get in contact with you? Tin Man?" he asks.
imperialus
QUOTE (Seraph Kast @ May 13 2008, 08:07 PM) *
"What's the best way to get in contact with you? Tin Man?" he asks.

22:15 1st January 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

"Naw, just call me direct, to reason to hassle Tinman." she beams her com-address to all your comlinks.

"Unless there is anything else, I'm going to get going. I haven't slept much in the past couple weeks and I'm drained. Now that you guys are on board I think I might be able to relax a bit. I'll leave things in your hands." Unless anyone stops her with another question she gets up and leaves.
Dusty Ghost
22:16 1st January 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

After listening to Icelady's story, Sweeps feels a mild discomfort. Fraud is something he has committed in the past, but never over the chard remains of a dead man. Grave robbing of the grossest kind, not to mention the fact that Dynamo Blue probably filled that grave herself.

Just before Icelady gets up Sweeps asks:

"Sorry to ask, but what makes you choose a place like this? Those fine tattoos on your cheeks, are you a shaman or magical of some kind?"

"Also I was wondering how you two met. You and Angel I mean."

"What was Angels relationship with Dynamo Blue? How did they meet? How did they get on?"

"Sorry for the third degree, but any information will help."

After Icelady left he says:

"Hey guys, I know we need to decide what to do next. But I'm not happy about discussing it here. These kooky magic types have us surrounded and God only knows what they can hear. Sybercat, do you know of a safe place to talk and plan?"
JoelHalpern
22:18 1st January 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

QUOTE (Dusty Ghost @ May 14 2008, 08:06 AM) *
(Sweeps) "Hey guys, I know we need to decide what to do next. But I'm not happy about discussing it here. These kooky magic types have us surrounded and God only knows what they can hear. Sybercat, do you know of a safe place to talk and plan?"

After waiting a minute, Mack says
"If we want someplace else, I have a place. I would have thought a different table was good enough, but maybe you are right and we should move."
Dusty Ghost

Sweeps looks to the rest of the team for approval

Then he says:

"Before we go, I think Padre or Loki should ask Julie a couple of questions. Such as if she knows Icelady well and Dark Angel..... that kinda thing."
imperialus
22:16 1st January 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

Sweeps: "Sorry to ask, but what makes you choose a place like this? Those fine tattoos on your cheeks, are you a shaman or magical of some kind?"

"Yeah, I'm a mage... Most my biz is here. I sell talismans and fetishes to the suits outside. Nothing too crazy, but that's why I get away with dressing like this. They like the 'street edge'. Ain't much but it keeps the lights on."

"Also I was wondering how you two met. You and Angel I mean."

"Their old synth player Razz introduced us bout five years ago. she flushes slightly "Well to be perfectly technical, I was on a date with him and ended up going home with Angel...

"What was Angels relationship with Dynamo Blue? How did they meet? How did they get on?"

Suddenly the acid bite is back in her voice. You get the feeling she would be happiest if Dynamo somehow ended up naked on the freeway while the 405 Hellhounds butted heads with the Ancients. "What was his relationship? Fucked if I know. I've never met the bitch. Never even knew she existed till last week. Maybe he was chasing tail on the side, that doesn't tend to be something you bring up over dinner with your old lady."
imperialus

After waiting a minute, Mack says
"If we want someplace else, I have a place. I would have thought a different table was good enough, but maybe you are right and we should move."

Sybercat pipes up. "Actually I know a 24 hour diner not far from here. The staff knows to stay the hell away from anyone who looks too sober at this hour so the service will suck but it'll be quiet. I'm all for blowing this joint, it gives me the creeps... Fragging mages. Who the hell orders a drink from a ghost?"
Nigel
2219 1st January 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle

"Yeah, I think that's a good idea. Seeing as this is a magical place, though, I think they'll take better to an Awakened than a priest."

Loki walks up to the bar, and says "Hey. I was just wondering if you knew a guy named Dark Angel? He was a friend of Icelady, and any information you have regarding him would be helpful - haunts, drugs he took (if any), so on. If you knew anybody he hung with, that'd also be great. Besides the band, I mean."

[ Spoiler ]
JoelHalpern
22:19 1st January 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

QUOTE (imperialus @ May 14 2008, 11:52 AM) *
Sybercat pipes up. "Actually I know a 24 hour diner not far from here. The staff knows to stay the hell away from anyone who looks too sober at this hour so the service will suck but it'll be quiet. I'm all for blowing this joint, it gives me the creeps... Fragging mages. Who the hell orders a drink from a ghost?"

Mack replies, A quiet diner works for me. I could use a bit more than the Krill I grabbed at Crusher Bob's.
imperialus
2219 1st January 2070 -- Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle

Loki walks up to the bar, and says "Hey. I was just wondering if you knew a guy named Dark Angel? He was a friend of Icelady, and any information you have regarding him would be helpful - haunts, drugs he took (if any), so on. If you knew anybody he hung with, that'd also be great. Besides the band, I mean."

Julie turns away from filling a drink order passing it off to one of the other staffers and after gesturing for you to join her at the end of the bar and shooing the troll away says. "I was wondering when you'd make it up here. Had a feeling that Ice was hiring you to try and sort out this mess. Girl needs to learn some subtlety. She puts up her hands in a mock surrender when your eyes narrow ever so slightly. "Don't worry, I'm not gonna go telling everyone what you're up to. I want to see you get to the bottom of this too, for Ice's sake if nothing else. The clients like her, which means I like her but she's been a wreck since Angel died. Truth be told though I didn't know Angel that well. He'd come here sometimes with Ice and fit in better than most mundanes but never did anything to stick out in my head. Bout two months ago Ice asked if I could do her a favor and arrange a gig for him here. Figured there'd be no harm, he was popular enough that there'd be enough turnout to make it worthwhile. Spent about three grand advertising and spreading the word only to find out that he's up and geeked himself. her thumb jerks towards one of the posters "I'm hoping his album takes off in which case I'm gonna hawk those posters on Trix-Trader, see if I can't recoup some money. I hope you guys manage to prove foul play. That'll make em more valuable. I'll keep my ears peeled around here for you though and tell Ice if I hear anything interesting. I've got connections of my own."

You get the feeling that she's being upfront with you. You wonder for a moment who she might be connected to. All the larger clubs in the plex have some sort of syndicate presence in them, the question is just who has their fingers in this pie.
Seraph Kast
22:21 1st January 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

Hex looks around the bar, trying to see if anyone is paying an unusual amount of attention to them, but realizes that half the bar is glancing at them off and on. I guess we do kinda stand out, this many cybered people together.

"Well Icelady, we'll be in touch when we sort this crap out a bit. In the meantime...someone was mentioning food?" he says with a grin.

Once Icelady heads out, he says, "Looks like our buddy is finishing talking up the bartender," he states, looking over towards Loki. "Let's get this show on the road. There's a lotta ground to cover if what Icelady told us checks out. We'll have to sort out who does what, wherever we're goin'." He glances towards Sybercat.
Mickle5125
21:55 January 1st 2070 --Club Chiaroscuro, Downtown Seattle--

Padre sat quietly, listening to Icelady's story and considering it carefully. He thinks for a while before nodding. "The circumstances surrounding Angel's death certainly do sound suspicious. I will gladly take on this investigation." The money should help the church stay open long enough for other funds to be located.

Having decided, Padre sat back and listened to the others discuss things and tried to remember anything he might have heard about the people being mentioned.
[ Spoiler ]

After a while, he's shaken out of his thoughts as Icelady leaves and Hex mentions heading out.
imperialus
Padre: The name Heaven keeps picking at some corner of your brain and not just because it relates to your profession. Then it hits you.

Right! One of the volunteers in the street outreach team used to be a chip addict. He's been clean for about a year now but during his therapy the talked a lot about Heaven.

Heaven is every bad stereotype of a chip den. Only the most hardcore burnouts spend much time there. If Angel was using enough to jack in there there is no way he could have covered his addiction, especially not from a girlfriend of five years.
imperialus
23:00 1st January 2070 --Hammies Steak’n Eggs Downtown Seattle--

The diner is just like almost every other 24 hour food shack in the plex. It’s maybe a bit nicer than most since it’s usually frequented by wageslaves looking for a quick lunch or a chance to sober up a bit before staggering home but other than that there’s nothing special about it. The menu is decidedly uninspired though real food does feature on it in addition to soy, and krill offerings for the price conscious. As you seat yourselves in one of the booths the waitress brings over a chair that will seat Mack more comfortably.

Once she fills the coffee mugs, takes your orders and leaves Sybercat says.

“This looks like a pretty straight forward run. Our Johnson is a bit closer to the job than I would normally like, there’s usually fewer complications when you’re dealing with some faceless suit but that shouldn’t be a big problem. To get paid we’re gonna need to get Icelady these recordings. We’ll try and prove her right if we can but honestly I don’t care if we need to frame or blackmail Dynamo to get her to hand them over. Hell for 10 g's I'll put a bullet in her head myself if it means we get the recordings. Icelady’s got it in personal for her but that’s her business, not ours.�

Sybercat pauses for a moment and takes a sip of coffee before continuing.

“I’d be pretty surprised if anyone knew we were on the case yet so I’d suggest we avoid tipping our hand too soon. Anonymity is our best friend right now. As far as a first step goes I’d say we should either go check out Xanadu or Heaven first. The Fallen Heroes might know something but I expect they’d want information in return and right now we have piss all. We got nothing to show the cops either and the Star tends to keep their case files close to their chests unless you have something to trade.

If we want to hit Xanadu I'd say we should head over there sometime tomorrow and case the joint. We... or rather Sweeps can always come back after hours for a closer look. I'd also rather not go poking around Heaven at midnight. It's not the sort of place that's healthy to visit after dark.
Seraph Kast
23:02 1st January 2070 --Hammies Steak'n Eggs, Downtown Seattle--

"Alright, sounds like a plan. If we can manage to turn up anything on Xanadu, or Dynamo herself, I know a guy who works for the Star, up in Everett. I might be able to convince him to share," Hex says. "Assuming we turn anything up anyway. If we don't well...I guess that's what Tinman handed out the cash for." He looks over at Sybercat. "So, if we want to hold off on checking out Heaven at first, want me to ask some of my discreet buddies if they know anything about getting in? Doesn't sound like the kind of place ya can just walk into and out of whenever ya want."
Dusty Ghost
23:03 1st January 2070 --Hammies Steak'n Eggs, Downtown Seattle--

Sweeps sighs and leans back against the chair cushions with a contented look on his face.

"Ahhhhh! The sweet smell of blackmail or dirt digging! The perfect remedy to any stressful day!"
He sits and thinks for a while.

"I like the idea of checking out Xanadu. I'm happy to sneak around it, though I may need you to hack the security there Sybercat."

You know, I have a friend, a street kid, I could convince him, for a few bucks, to stick around there and give us any info he finds. He's a good kid, and I know he'll do well. If Dynamo Blue shows up, the sneaky little runt can tag her the whole way home. Let us know where she goes after that. He's a kid after my own heart I tell ya. I feel like a bad influence on him, but he's honest as far as I go. At least for some quick cash anyhow.

It would be good to check out her home if we can, maybe wait till she goes to work and then pay a visit? See what we can get at Xanadu first.

He looks at Sybercat "We may need to see what info we can dig up on Dynamo Blue. Can you see what the gossip is on the matrix?"
Mickle5125
23:04 1st January 2070 --Hammies Steak’n Eggs Downtown Seattle--

Padre frowns at Sybercat when she states her willingness to kill Dynamo. "I'd prefer, Miss Sybercat, that we avoid killing anyone unless it proves absolutely necessary. However, I do smell something most foul about this entire situation. This Heaven place is known for catering to the most hardcore of burnouts... There's no way Angel could have hid an addiction bad enough to get him into that place from a girlfriend... 'specially a girlfriend of five years. Therefore, either Icelady is lying to us, and I want to know why she would do that, or he was planted there."

Padre takes a sip from his coffee and smiles at the others. "Perhaps we should look into both places at the same time... before word can get out that we're looking into it. If we divide the group, we should be able to investigate both places. Worst case, we can always go back later and attempt to force more information from those working at the locations. One thing we definitely need to look into, no matter what, is who runs the place, and who is the real power behind it."
JoelHalpern
2311 January 1st 2070 --Hammies Steak’n Eggs Downtown Seattle--
Mack listens to the discussion for a while.
"Not sure we should split up. If we do, it sounds like I should go with the team that visits Heaven. It does sound like talking to Xanadu is Loki's (or Sweep's) style, while you Padre seem to have experience at least with Heaven's customer base. Heaven is likely to assume that their customers will want to steal from them."

By the way, shouldn't we do something so our commlinks will recognize each other? At least to send messages. Particularly if we are talking about splitting up.
imperialus
23:45 1st January 2070 --Hammies Steak’n Eggs Downtown Seattle--

As the schemes begin flying back and forth across the table Sybercat eventually lets out a sigh rubbing her temples.
“Ok, I think the plan for tomorrow is starting to come together. I don’t know about the rest of you but it’s been a hell of a long night and I’m beat. My vote right now is to head home and get some sleep so we can all put on our A game tomorrow. I can pick everyone else up again tomorrow, say between ten and eleven. Give me your com-addresses and I’ll call when I’m on my way.�

She drives you all home, or at least close enough to walk, dropping Loki off last.
Nigel
00:03 2nd January 2070 -- Sybercat's Van

After the rest of the group is dropped off, Loki invites Sybercat to his apartment for the night. And the night progresses.

*cue Fascination by The Human League nyahnyah.gif*
Seraph Kast
23:58 1st January --Sybercat's Van, Seattle Streets--

Hex glances around as he hops out of the van, then walks into an apartment building across the street. Heading upstairs he pops open his apartment and gives the room a cursory examination, happy to see his power is back on. Seeing nothing immediately out of place, he strips off his gear and pulls out his guns. For the next hour or so, he works on them, stripping them down and cleaning them up. After a while he crawls into bed, setting his commlink to make noise when someone calls.

Lotta new faces, but none of them seem crazy, at least.
JoelHalpern
0005 January 2st 2070 -- Mack's warehouse

Mack pulls out the suitcase, and looks at it for a minute, then climbs into bed.
In the morning, he sends a text to Sybercat:
<Mind if I throw a case of emergency gear in the van? In case the going gets really rough?>

For this outing, the Armored Jacket seems called for. And plenty of knives. Just know something is going to go wrong.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012