Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do you play?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
sapphire_wyvern
I'm curious to see what other kinds of games SR players are into. What do *you* play when you're not playing SR?

EDIT: D'oh! This software doesn't support "multiple vote" polls. I would imagine that most of you would want to choose more than one of the above choices.

Hmm... well, choose the one you play most, then.
thunderchild
Played Magic for fusking ages, grew tired because my card group fell to bits due to infighting.

Play warhammer - on hiatus because im poor.

Id probably play warewolf if i could afford the books.

Fire Hawk
I'll really play any game you'd put in front of me, honestly.

AD&D is a grand classic (I actually like 3.5, myself), I've written a great tactical starship boardgame (which is on my computer back in Colorado... D'oh!), which only needs one last revision and then I can get some real feedback. spin.gif

Sorta like Battlespace meets MOO2 and a tad bit of Star Fleet Battles thrown in (but nowhere near as mindsplittingly complicated. eek.gif

Wish me luck. cyber.gif
bwdemon
I voted for SW, because that's the major game I'm playing now. I'm also currently involved in: Battletech, Champions, D&D, and Fantasy Hero. Strangely enough, I'm not playing SR right now, but I expect to start up again over the holidays.
Rattler
Not playing SR? Blasphemy.
Dalassa
I said Exalted because other miniatures games weren't on there.
MYST1C
Actually, I play none of the listed.
My main game is Cyberpunk 2020 with SR coming second place.
Sometimes I play The Dark Eye (or "Das Schwarze Auge" as we call it here) and I'm interested, but not playing yet, in Call Of Cthulhu.
Adam
D&D [Forgotten Realms] and Star Wars d20 currectly. Hopefully a DARK*MATTER campaign based on d20 Modern sometime in the coming year. In the past year we've also played Exalted, Chainmail, various boardgames, various WizKids games, and Shadowrun.
Frag-o Delux
Roleplaying

Star Wars, Modern, and AD&D 2nd ed. from wizards of the coast.

I just got all the Earthdawn books for 1st edition.

Of course I play Shadowrun the most.

We are looking into playing Star Trek, I just love Ferengi, mainly because of Quark on Deep Space 9.

We play BESM tri-stat. Looking to move to d20.

Miniature games.

We still go back to Crimson Skies the original FASA version.

I have tons of 40K stuff, haven't played in a while, lack of room in my current living area. We also do Inquisitor, Mordehiem and Battle Fleet Gothic.

We just started to pick up Gear Krieg/Luft Krieg, haven't really did anything with it, just haven't had the time to get some pieces for it.

We are also trying Warmachine.

I also play DC and Marvel heroclix, I haven't gotten any Indy's yet.
lorg
Mainly Deadlands, BT, ED and old AD&D.
Hot Wheels
QUOTE (Rattler)
Not playing SR? Blasphemy.

Burn him! Burn the heretic! vegm.gif
nezumi
I voted D20 because it's the closest I could find to 'other'. I play Call of Cthulu and I'm looking for a good group of people to play Cyberpunk with. I was playing an Alternity game not long ago, before it dried up. I only play DnD when there's really nothing else out there. To me, it's like eating raw coffee grounds when you're all out of water. Yes, it gives you the fix, but it can be pretty foul compared to the good stuff.
Pthgar
I Voted trinity but that's the third most played for me. We play Classic Traveller (the mother of all sci-fi games) the most after SR. There's also HeroClicks but thats mostly just collecting.
Meow
Our group isn't playing SR right now, because the GM, being a teacher, can't get out real regularly. We are currently alternating between Mekton and Ironclaw. We also have a currently running Buffy game and one of these days, I have a Wheel of Time game I should finish... But I miss SR...
Tanka
WoT, huh? That game barely does the series justice.

Currently I'm only playing SR and Magic. I have d20 Modern sitting behind me, but I'm far too lazy to read it when I have DotSW next to my bed.

I played V:tM for a little while, but I got uninterested because it was all about politics and we never got anything done.
Shockwave_IIc
Have played...
Tragic the gethering stopped just after Visions came out, still play sometimes at a friends tournement, Still good at the old sealed deck.

Play when i can..
D&d got my own campaign world for that, based on what i liked from earthdawn.

World of darkness. mainly in my friends game, where he NPC's my character alot cos of timing constraights

Battletech. The falcon will soar again!!!

Oh and Games workshop stuff (Tau and Delfs). Though im gonna be dropping that soon, can't find the time.
Connor
I used to play a lot of D&D/AD&D, some WoD stuff, non-d20 Star Wars, GURPS, and a few other games here and there, but any more I really just like to play Shadowrun.

None of the others really interest me enough to be worth my time any more. And Shadowrun interests me enough that I'm trying to become a decent GM (my skills are bit lacking) although my players seem to have fun when we get together, so that's probably the most important factor.
Meow
I know WoT isn't great, but I started the game, and the guys are determined to see me finish it. I probably will, and then if I ever get crazy again, use a different system. And its not terrible, but there are parts I hate (the exp system in particular).
Tanka
The rules for insanity are a bit much. Besides, now that... (WoT Spoiler)

[ Spoiler ]
SCI
What's with the selection? Off all the above choices, i've only played two of them 3 times (played MechWarrior: Dumb Age twice and MTG once).

Other than Shadowrun, I play Battletech on a regular basis (more often than Shadowrun actually), plus i've got a shelf of Palladium Books RPGs (Rifts, Nightbane, Systems Failure, Mechanoids, Robotech) and that's about it.

Boy, I bet you guys are just going to hate me. newbie.gif
Pthgar
QUOTE (SCI)
Boy, I bet you guys are just going to hate me. newbie.gif

Why? Nobody here is a SR Zombie, not even the people who occasionally get money from WizKids.
JongWK
I divide my gaming time between SR and D&D 3.0 (upgrading to 3.5 as soon as we get the books). I like a lot that I'm starting to GM more SR than D&D lately, because SR is the game that hooked me up into RPGs.

I've also played Paranoia (because the Computer told me to wink.gif ), Stormbringer, MERPS, Cyberpunk 2020, Vampire and Defenders of Tokyo (a brazilian parody). I'm eyeing d20 Modern, BESM Tri-stat, Earthdawn and The Dark Eye as future games for my group.

Now, if you ask me, one of the most hysterically hilarious games is Fanhunter, "the epic-decadent role-playing game":

Official website

Another good link

Just by taking a look at the pictures you'll get the idea. rotfl.gif

Squirtduck
Where is miniature war gaming? ::bangs wall:: WHERE IS MINIATURE WAR GAMING!?!?!!?

Just ignore me then...
Callidus
God... too many games to list *8->

Mainly SR, Rifts, D&D 3ed, AD&D 2ed & 2.5ed, bit of ED, Warhamster 40K (*8->) Marines (yawn) and Tau and couple of other homegrown fantasy RPGs that are really cool *8->

[edit] Oh and Really REALLY want to start play Epic Space Marine (the one before Epic Warhammer 40K, ie. the good one with titan legions expansion etc) again but can never find anyone to play *8-< [/edit]
Aristotle
I'm currently taking a break after 3 or so years in a Shadowrun campaign. I've picked up D&D 3.5, as AD&D was my "gateway game" into this hobby. I've been running a D&D game now for a few months, and I must say I am loving it thus far.

I cast my vote for D&D as that is what I am playing right now. In my spare time I've been working on a homebrew campaign world (more for me than for anyone else) and a homebrew setting for d20 Modern (which will probably need to be overhauled once the Future book hits the shelves).

There are other games I have played or wish I could play. There just doesn't seem to be enough time to game as much I wish I could.
zephir
I own most of the books for Earthdawn, AD&D and Shadowrun. Though I don't know why, because I tend to not forget printed material wink.gif

I got started on DSA (The Dark Eye, someone mentioned it. DSA was a bad system, game mechanics and background-wise extinguish.gif )

Moved on to Earthdawn as soon as I got the chance.
Tried to start a philosophical Mage game, failed as there is much interest the "rolling" aspect of RPing in our group.

I'm currently playing/GMing in Shadowrun and Rolemaster.
Maxxi
I was weaned onto RPG's with World of Darkness and Trinity. These type of non-white-wolf RPG's are alot different. I can generally play a whole session of a white wolf game with no desire to roll anything, and I tend to think the most streamlined rules exist for white wolf games, except for maybe mage because you litterally can do anything.
Predator
Recently finished a Urban Arcana campaign, and have begun re-reading SR after picking up a copy of Cybernet. Not actively engaged in anything, but since i'm looking at running d20 Modern again, i'll have to vote Other d20.
BumsofTacoma
heres a nice little list o games i play.

Shadowrun 3rd (7 years running)
Hunter the reckoning (a coupletimes, own many books)
Vampire (varios versions, sabbat, masq, dark ages)
Aberant (have core rule book, played once or twice)
Palladium (the ultimate kill the players game, might see it differently with a diff gm)
Exalted (i have a 300 xp character.... like this game a lot)
All Flesh must be eaten (just picked it up, love the simplicity of it + zombies)
Mage (varios types, own a few books)
Star wars revised edition (play every now and then)
Deadlands games (wierd/wasted west, 4 years running)

Then I have this old James Bond rpg thats like 20 years old, problem is, core rule book doent cover so many situations I havnt played it. Just how the hell do you calculate damage? or resist it? or even avoid it? stupid book.

a few other I cant think of at the moment.
Fixer
I play D&D and Star Wars (original and new edition). When I can find a local group, at least. Between groups right now.

Oh, and hello everyone. Been a while.
(Why does my signature not work. Does this play not support phpBB?)
Fortune
QUOTE (Fixer)
Why does my signature not work. Does this play not support phpBB?

Image linking has been turned off as a gesture to those in the community with lower bandwidth. smile.gif
Fixer
That would explain the 128 character limit as well. nyahnyah.gif
Maxxi
Out of Curiousity, does my sig display as Arabic to other people?
Fixer
I see it in Arabic.
BookWyrm
OK, since I can finally see this board again, I'm gonna post here & wait a while. Seems somehow, I get locked out on occaisions, and I know it's not from my end.

Anyway, here's my lists;

Used to play 2nd Ed. AD&D, right up until Spelljammer & Planescape came out.
Use to play the original Marvel Superheroes, until it was discontinued. Never got into the 'new' version.
Have been keeping up with Shadowrun, still have all my 1st Ed. books. It appeals to my sci-fi mindset, and the magick system is always a treat.
I still keep up with the Palladium Books' titles Heroes Unlimited 2nd Ed., Robotech, Nightbane, Systems Failure & Rifts.
I still read all the White Wolf novels, because I like their style.
I have all the books for Mind's Eye Theatre-Laws of The Night (Vampire LARP), and I played a couple of times. Thinking about trading/selling them when the current WoD lines get cut.

That's it for now.
Maxxi
You enjoyed some of the White Wolf novels? The only good ones I read were the ones for Demon. The Mage on seemed pretty horrible, it was like they told a guy to write a story and then add mage terms.... And the Mummy triology... That was more about Hunters, a Risen and a Vampire then a Mummy.... But whatever, it was still good. I guess I just don't like some of the older novels they made.
Tanka
So I just bought d20 Modern: Urban Arcana because a good friend of mine who also plays SR says it's a pretty good setting. He hates the system, but the setting is rather decent. I'm still in the main corebook (Damn Class-restricted games!) and was wondering if anybody else has played Urban Arcana. Should I just take my book back or should I keep it?
Fresno Bob
I'd take it back.

I play a little of this, little of that. Mostly D20, cause thats all my friends know. The only Shadowrunning I get is over pbps.
BumsofTacoma
I dont know if I said it before but

All Flesh must be eaten. Great game simple, fun, challenging for the players makes them work together. Easy as cheese to run it.

my new favorite game to run. just need someone else to run it so i can be the store clerk fending off zombie hordes with a mop. and hiding in the basement till i starve to death.
LoseAsDirected
D&D is a great fallback system for when I'm feeling lazy, and don't want to come up with a fucking thing..

I just get my players together, roll a d20, make that their level, tell them to make standard characters (by our house rules, at least), and drink some Jaeger until they're done.. Then I'm ready to DM..

It's not like D&D requires planing...
Kagetenshi
Then you've never played one of my D&D games.
Though it was pointed out to me that my games had about as much to do with canon D&D as a marble has with a planet (they're both generally sorta round)... that's what ten years of GMing and adding houserules will do.

~J

Edit: I should hope it doesn't require planing! I like my books to be nice and level when they come from the printers, thank you very much.
LoseAsDirected
Har har, very funny...
Wailer
WAAAAAAAAAAGH! ork.gif
Kagetenshi
Lives up to his name, apparently.
Planescape is always fun.

~J
Teulisch
what, no multiple choice on the poll?

I tend to collect RPGs, more than i actualy have time to play.

I have shelves of stuff for Gurps, Rifts, and world of darkness, and a shelf of D&D 2nd ed (only got the main 3 rulebooks for 3.0 plus a couple modules for the game im DMing), and have more rpgs than i can readily name or even remember without looking (some are fairly obscure).

oh, and about a 10,000 point Eldar army for WH40k. (I wish they would put out current rules for my genestealer hybrids.).

BookWyrm
QUOTE (Maxxi)
You enjoyed some of the White Wolf novels? The only good ones I read were the ones for Demon. The Mage on seemed pretty horrible, it was like they told a guy to write a story and then add mage terms.... And the Mummy triology... That was more about Hunters, a Risen and a Vampire then a Mummy.... But whatever, it was still good. I guess I just don't like some of the older novels they made.

Sorry, it seems that sometimes I can access these boards, and sometimes not.

Yes, I have read all of the White Wolf World Of Darkness novels. Most of them are quite good, but when they try to blend too much of their different lines into one book, it kind of diminishes what would be a good story line.
The Mage novels were good, but a touch heavy on the magic. The Wraith themed books dwell too much on their setting. The Werewolf novels likewise spend too many pages shoving Garou lore into the reader's face.
But the writers actually capture the feel of the setting, and you feel like you're in the story, not observing from the outside.

The problem with some of the early novels is that they were too 'new', meaning that once the 2nd Editions & 3rd Editions of the fiction was retconned into fitting the new game rules, it removed some of the luster from their novel lines.

Also, long series, like the (modern) Clan Novels & Dark Ages Clan Novels tend to drag. They are good reading, but I would wait until you can get all the books in a set (NOT in compilation!) & if you're not reading anything else for a while, then go through them in sequence.

Go to White Wolf's site & find the Master List of all their products. Find the Harper-Collins produced books. These are slightly less paged than their main publisher's books, but they are good reading.
otaku mike
I played (GM) mainly SR, but that was before I move to Thailand.
I also played Warhammer, which was quite fun.
I own Star Trek RPG (decipher) but never got any use of them, though I'd love to.
Same for BESM 2nd Ed.

I got a french version of The Dark Eye (L'Oeil Noir) when I was 12 (16 years ago). It was a black boxed set, basically an initiation to RPG.
I played with it only once, years after I understood what was a RPG (God, I was really pissed off when I opened the box and realized there was no board or miniatures! ah... youth... smile.gif )

I'm really intrigued with the current incarnation of The Dark Eye, does it have a background world now? Are the rules still so "light"? What changes since 16 years?
Kalibar
Hmm...lets see. I have GM'd Shadowrun, MERP, LOTR(CODA System), GURPS, all three ed. of D+D(and Wheel of Time), Star Wars(D6), and of course Paranoia.

Played, D+D, GURPS, Star Wars(D6), and Shadowrun

Currently, run a Shadowrun campaign and a GURPS modern day/deity campaign.

And play GURPS Fantasy, MERP, and 1st ed. AD+D. It's suprising how fun it still was to go back to that system...
Reverendo
Buffffff....

WoD, Call of chtulu, Dark conspiracy, D&D (forgotten realms and dark sun mainly), Runequest, Elric!, 7šsea, L5R, blue planet, LoTR, Rolemaster, Talislanta, Pendragon, hero wars, CP2020, Hackmaster, star wars, Ars Magica...and many many others. Love to go to con and find new games...new blood always is welcome wink.gif

You may see how many character sheets i have wink.gif But i only GM Shadowrun

Reverendo Fastjack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012