Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Favorite Board-Game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
thunderchild
Whats your favorite board game?

Personaly, I never play Monopoly with friends and i never play Trivial Persuit.

Id have to say my favorite boardgame would probably have to be Scrabble (as long as everybody involved understands that if it isnt in the dictionary, its not allowed), although I am partial to hungry hungry hippos.

But I dont mind a good jigsaw puzzle, however I only do ones that can be laquered and made into posters when I finish them.
Diesel
Mouse Trap!
Buzzed
Axis & Allies is by far the best.

The best looking game would have to be Ghettopoly.
Scarab
Risk 2210 AD.
Ancient History
Monopoly is a favorite, as are certain war games (notably, I love signing checks for the Evil Polish brothers).
Frag-o Delux
Axis and Allies, Risk, and chess are the three I play the most. I am trying to get a star trek multilevel chess set, I just haven't actively sought one out..
Fortune
It'd have to be Chess for me.
lorg
Civilization. I do prefer the old version to the Sid Meiers version. Even thou Sid is GOD! But the boardgame just didn't become as fun as the old one or as fun as the computer game.
nezumi
I play risk a lot. I've been wanting to get Axis and Allies, but have never had enough people interested. 4-way chess is great. Although all told, I prefer card games (hearts and spades. If I meet one more stupid kid who wants to play poker with no drinking and no bets I'm going to scream. The game has no redeeming qualities if there's nothing being wagered.)
lorg
Poker without bets? That ain't poker.
Crusher Bob
I've had plenty of fun with talisman, especially the older (cheese filled) versions.
Shadowrunner13
Top three games my friends and I usually play are:

Axis & Allies
Risk
HeroQuest

SR13
StealthBanana
The only way to play poker is on a one of those week long school trips in the hotel lobby at 3 in the morning.

The bets?

Clothes!

Of course, make sure the girls out number the guys. No one wants to see a naked teenage guy. Which means you might have to get some lesbians...

Anyway, I vote for Axis & Allies with the 5 player cutthroat mod. It's crazy shit, yo.
Jpwoo
Go!

Go is the best, but it is like chess, a bit of an investment. The current light game we play the most is Settlers of Catan.
Buzzed
QUOTE (Shadowrunner13)
Top three games my friends and I usually play are:

Axis & Allies
Risk
HeroQuest

SR13

HeroQuest! I forgot about that game, ok that one is the 2nd best on my list.
Pistons
I have enjoyed Risk, Trivial Pursuit, Ubi, Stratego, Clue and a real classic, Black Tower. Too bad the last is hard to find, and expensive to boot if you can't get it at a yard sale, else I'd buy a copy for at least nostalgia's sake.
Shadowrunner13
QUOTE (Buzzed)

How could you forget about HeroQuest? It's the shit. smile.gif

I also have BattleMasters, its follow up, but it requires too much floor space in my tiny apartment to be used often...

SR13
thunderchild
QUOTE (Shadowrunner13)
QUOTE (Buzzed)

How could you forget about HeroQuest? It's the shit. smile.gif

I also have BattleMasters, its follow up, but it requires too much floor space in my tiny apartment to be used often...

SR13

In that case, SpaceHulk is also on my list.

But only if you have 3 sets and the time and effort to re write the rulebook to include normal marines and genestealer cultists.

Ideki
Right now, I'd have to say Shipwrecked. For those who haven't heard of it, it's a fun little bluffing game where you bid for resources against other players, and you have to stop the bidding at the right time without someone else stealing it... you'd have to play it to get it.
Mysterio
Hmmm I love RISK and RISK 2210. I have to say I'm a sucker for Monopoly in the various forms. Actually some forms that my g/f and I have are Spiderman, X-Men, Simpsons, Star Wars Ep 1, Justice League, regular...uh that's all I can think of. I also love trivial Pursuit. It's just something about trivia games (ie Jeopardy) that I like. Useless facts *L*
I've always wanted to try Axis and Allies but none of my friend own a board or have ever played themselves so we never bothered to look into beyond browsing in the store.
Threnody
The Farming Game has been a personal and family favorite ever since I can remember. smile.gif
Dogsoup
QUOTE (lorg)
Civilization. I do prefer the old version to the Sid Meiers version.

Civ, yeah! Was some time ago I played it last time, so I don't remember wich verison it used to be, but It plain rocks. Only game I return to year after year on Gothcon.
On second place I'd have to say Settlers of Catan, since the gameplay involve enough randomness to allow even me to win.
lorg
QUOTE (Dogsoup)
QUOTE (lorg)
Civilization. I do prefer the old version to the Sid Meiers version.

Civ, yeah! Was some time ago I played it last time, so I don't remember wich verison it used to be, but It plain rocks. Only game I return to year after year on Gothcon.
On second place I'd have to say Settlers of Catan, since the gameplay involve enough randomness to allow even me to win.

Guess it had to have been Civ or Advanced Civ then since Sid Meiers Civ boardgame is only about a year and a half old. The game just rocks ...
Jr. Woodchuck
My buddies and I use to play Magic all the time, but it always ended in fights. Whats the point of getting together if all it does is get everyone frustrated?

Now I play Settlers of Catan and Risk. Quick and easy, they are currently my easy favorites.
plirr
Risk 2210 when there's time for game, but Settlers otherwise.

I am also a sucker for the great god Monopoly.
JongWK
Steve Jackson's Illuminatti rules. devil.gif

Other than that, Chess, Supremacy, TEG and Settlers of Catan are positively nuts.

If we're adding card games to the mix, I'd go for good old Truco, which puts Poker to shame (but please, don't use the Argentinean rules or we'll have to shoot you).

Truco link in spanish
lodestar
For me its trouble. That game rocks! I can't get over that bubble pop dice roller thingy.wink.gif
Kagetenshi
In no particular order:

Age of Renaissance (ok, I lied, this one's first for a reason. The others are in no particular order)

The Hunt for Red October

Stratego

Chess, 4-way Chess, and Nightmare Chess (plus a few other variants)

Torpedo Run

HeroQuest

The original Lord of the Rings boardgame.

Monopoly, now and then.

Fortune 500

Shogun/Samurai Swords

And finally, even though I've never played it, Ebola Monkey Hunt earns a place just for the name.

~J
Jpwoo
Im a bit surprised to see how settlers is making a lot of the lists. I guess I was expecting more war games. It either shows how good a game settlers is, or how open minded SR players are. I guess good gamers go to good games, and bad gamers go to bad games. Check out how elitist that is!
Buzzed
Another fun game that I forgot about.

Scotland Yard
Kagetenshi
Scotland Yard was a good game.

~J
Pugwhan
Boardgames

Cosmic Encounters (Mayfair version with the expansion pack)
Iron Dragon

Card Games
Chez Geek
Munchkin
JongWK
What about FASA's games based on James Clovells novels (Shogun, taipan, etc.)? Good, bad or ugly?
Ulfgeir
I play a lot of different boardgames.

My favourites would be the following (In no particular order)

Aquire
Carcassone
Condotterie
Go
Kingdoms
Puerto Rico
RoboRally
Settlers of Catan
Trivial Pursuit
Vinci

/Ulfgeir
Swansonegger
Shogun, but I keep hearing good things about Settlers of Catan.

And Succession Wars was fun, but the set up was too long.
Electric Cabbage
Settlers is pretty damn addicting. It is a really fun game that is simple the play. It can also get pretty vicious. A game store I used to go to had marathon games going and everyone that came into the store eventually became a veteran player. You'll never see more viciousness, deceit, intimidation, trash talking, and butt holery then in a settlers game with six hard core settlers players. It get's pretty brutal.
Street Doc
Ahh...out of lurking atlast. Anywho, many of you mention the new version of the Civ board game by Sid Meier. I just wanted to clear up that while the new Civ game is based off Sid Meier's computer game, he did not design this game. The credits for that go Glenn Drover and Eagle Games.

However for my favorite boardgames are kinda biased, being a rep for Eagle Games I tend to like their games. War! Age of Imperialism and Attack! especially stand out. Non-Eagle Games games would have to be Settlers of Catan, Axis and Allies, Risk, and Twilight Imperium.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012