Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Shadows of Hong Kong
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Carny
This post will be the place where all that OOC goodness takes place, relating to the Shadows of Hong Kong 4th ed. Shadowrun PbP game:

Start Date: March 10, 2070
Location: Centered on the Hong Kong Sprawl, though it may wander afield, from time to time.
Tone: Fairly standard shadowrunning, with a couple of of longer story arcs, depending on how long the game and/or interest continues.
Characters: 400 BP, Basic rules, Augmentation, Arsenal, Street Magic are all fine. Unwired will be added as soon as the GM acquires it.
Players: 3-5
Posting Rate: I can probably post every day, or every other day. I'd prefer players who are willing to maintain that pace, or close to it. (With the caveat that real life rules, both for my scheduling and yours.)

This game is full, at the moment.
Cthulhudreams
I'd be interested, especially as I just made a character for another game in Hong Kong that I can just recycle. Just do you mind if I used FrankTrollman rules for aspected path mages reproduced here. The concept is for ex-combat inc rogue treasure hunter.

You can use the Aspected Magicians rules that I wrote. Aspected Magician is a positive quality which is taken instead of Magician, Adept, Mystic Adept, or Astral Sight (which is also removed altogether under this system because it is dumb). Aspected Magicians excel in their field of magic, ad this is represented by starting play as a Grade 1 Initiate with a metamagic of their choice. Unless otherwise stated, they are like Magicians. The types are as follows:

* Aspected Conjurers Cannot learn Sorcery skills, cast spells, or provide Counterspelling. They can astrally perceive but cannot astrally project. They can can use other magic skills (most notably conjuring skills). This quality costs 10 points.
* Aspected Sorcerers Cannot learn Conjuring skills, summon spirits, or Banish. They can astrally perceive but cannot astrally project. They can can use other magic skills (most notably Sorcery skills). This quality costs 10 points.
* Path Aspect Must choose 2 categories of Magic and the associated spirits according to their tradition. The character may only cast spells or summon spirits of those two categories/types. They may still use Banishing and Counterspelling against any target. They may still conjure Watchers and Allies. They can astrally perceive but cannot astrally project. This quality costs 10 points.
* Astral Aspect Cannot cast any spells on Physical Targets, nor can they conjure any spirit that has Possession or Materialization (Watchers are still OK). They can still cast Mana spells on Astral Targets. The threshold for their Assensing tests is reduced by 1. This quality costs 5 points.

I am requesting no other aspect of his system, though I would be in favour wink.gif
crizh
I'd love the opportunity to play a Technomancer if you have room for one. I made this for Second Stringers but the Shaman was more popular.

[ Spoiler ]
Carny
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Jun 19 2008, 06:21 AM) *
I'd be interested, especially as I just made a character for another game in Hong Kong that I can just recycle. Just do you mind if I used FrankTrollman rules for aspected path mages reproduced here. The concept is for ex-combat inc rogue treasure hunter.

I am requesting no other aspect of his system, though I would be in favour wink.gif

For now, I'd rather stick to RAW. In particular, I'd rather deal with Initiation as a in-game event of some importance.
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 19 2008, 08:05 AM) *
I'd love the opportunity to play a Technomancer if you have room for one. I made this for Second Stringers but the Shaman was more popular.

[ Spoiler ]

Definitely an interesting take on a technomancer. Given what sound like significant Robin Hood tendencies, will she be interested in taking on some of the less kind and nice sorts of runs?
Bearclaw
How 'bout a supposed to be dead former Triad enforcer from Shang-hai turned Hong Kong shadowrunner?
Carny
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Jun 19 2008, 02:41 PM) *
How 'bout a supposed to be dead former Triad enforcer from Shang-hai turned Hong Kong shadowrunner?

Sounds reasonable to me.
crizh
QUOTE (Carny @ Jun 19 2008, 02:26 PM) *
Definitely an interesting take on a technomancer. Given what sound like significant Robin Hood tendencies, will she be interested in taking on some of the less kind and nice sorts of runs?

Wetwork is likely to be handled on a case by case basis. Other stuff will be done by others anyway, others that might cause significantly more collateral harm.

For the most part, work is work.
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 19 2008, 04:29 PM) *
Wetwork is likely to be handled on a case by case basis. Other stuff will be done by others anyway, others that might cause significantly more collateral harm.

For the most part, work is work.

Sounds good to me, then.
Jeremiah Legacy
Got room for one more? I'm thinking of a face/combat medic.

[ Spoiler ]

Just an idea I'm bouncing around.
crizh
Dr Delicious?

Hmm, very suspicious....

I'm still batting around ideas but one of the things on the list of stuff I was thinking of buying was a Stormcloud with a built in Valkyrie Module. A couple of customized Evo Orderlies are also on the list. I can't afford the actual skills however so having a Medic that could actually use resources like that would be a massive bonus.
Carny
QUOTE (Jeremiah Legacy @ Jun 19 2008, 05:27 PM) *
Got room for one more? I'm thinking of a face/combat medic.

[ Spoiler ]

Just an idea I'm bouncing around.

Sounds quite awesome. Depending on the actual mix between face, combat and medic, the only thing the team really may be lacking is a relatively dedicated combatant. Not that a death machine is necessarily required, but one or two people who can reliably defend themselves and possibly teammates might be handy, the Shadows being what they are. Bearclaw might be covering that, though.
crizh
I need help with contacts. Originally the character was aimed at Seattle and had a Cascade Ork contact for acquiring Drones, vehicles etc. I'm wondering if that is something I can leave in and rely on Hong Kong's close shipping ties to Seattle to bring stuff through Kai Tak or if I should just change it up for a similar sort of contact inside the Ten Thousand Lions?

Any ideas?

I'm also working on a Fixer contact. I'm thinking on working up something using Whampoa which looks like an ideal organisation for a TM to be involved with. A Kowloon connection would be good to tie in with Doc Delicious if he's in.
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 19 2008, 06:10 PM) *
I need help with contacts. Originally the character was aimed at Seattle and had a Cascade Ork contact for acquiring Drones, vehicles etc. I'm wondering if that is something I can leave in and rely on Hong Kong's close shipping ties to Seattle to bring stuff through Kai Tak or if I should just change it up for a similar sort of contact inside the Ten Thousand Lions?

Any ideas?

I'm also working on a Fixer contact. I'm thinking on working up something using Whampoa which looks like an ideal organisation for a TM to be involved with. A Kowloon connection would be good to tie in with Doc Delicious if he's in.

The ork in the cascades might mean some delays, several days at least, more then a local contact. More risks, too, you'd think, since every time you add a border crossing/port entry, possibilities for something bad happening to your illicit goods increase. Even legal goods run some of the same risks, though the legalities are reduced to bureaucratic hurdles, as opposed to actual risk of confiscation, usually. I'd say a Ten Thousand Lions contact would be a better choice.

And certainly a Whampoa connection makes perfect sense for Granny.

Do you want me to set them up? If so, I need to know what level of connections they should have.

DWC
Got space for a former company man shooter/face hybrid or are you full?
Carny
QUOTE (DWC @ Jun 19 2008, 06:41 PM) *
Got space for a former company man shooter/face hybrid or are you full?

I have room, but if everybody who has shown interest actually plays, you are it. That will give us five, which should work.
Jeremiah Legacy
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 19 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Dr Delicious?

Hmm, very suspicious....

There's no reason to be suspicious. Everything's er, um, what I mean is, um uh, it's simply, um, er, Look! A Bunny! (runs)

As for connecting him with Crisz's character, I'm OK w/ that.
crizh
How does this look?

[ Spoiler ]
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 19 2008, 07:42 PM) *
How does this look?

[ Spoiler ]

Looks fine to me
crizh
OK, cool, here's another then.

[ Spoiler ]
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 19 2008, 08:27 PM) *
OK, cool, here's another then.

[ Spoiler ]

Another good one smile.gif
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Carny @ Jun 19 2008, 11:03 AM) *
Sounds quite awesome. Depending on the actual mix between face, combat and medic, the only thing the team really may be lacking is a relatively dedicated combatant. Not that a death machine is necessarily required, but one or two people who can reliably defend themselves and possibly teammates might be handy, the Shadows being what they are. Bearclaw might be covering that, though.

Actually, I'm hoping to fill that "Death machine" nich.
Carny
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Jun 19 2008, 10:25 PM) *
Actually, I'm hoping to fill that "Death machine" nich.

That works too, but I'll be up front. Most of my scenarios tend towards at best a 50/50 combat/non-combat mix. So having some skills or contacts that are useful in the legwork part of things might keep you from doing a lot of tagging along and looming menacingly while waiting for combat to erupt.
crizh
Rough draft.

[ Spoiler ]
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 19 2008, 10:50 PM) *
Rough draft.

[ Spoiler ]

The only problem at all that I see is that she's 50 BP heavy
Bearclaw
Here's Caine's background.

[ Spoiler ]

And the first draft of his character sheet:

[ Spoiler ]
crizh
QUOTE (Carny @ Jun 19 2008, 11:19 PM) *
The only problem at all that I see is that she's 50 BP heavy

LOL.

Sorry, I edited another character sheet that was 450BP, thought I'd changed everything relevant.

The total is wrong, never even noticed it was there, it all adds up to 400.
Jeremiah Legacy
I should have my character made up by tomorrow
Cthulhudreams
Damn, without the aspected mage its going o be virtually impossible to convert the character over. I'll need to have a thunk about concepts.

I was leaning towards a rigger, but I don;t think I can make that fly with unwired around the corner and possibly changing the matrix game

How would you handle that?
Carny
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Jun 19 2008, 11:45 PM) *
Here's Caine's background.

[ Spoiler ]

And the first draft of his character sheet:

[ Spoiler ]

Both sheet and background look ok, so far.
Carny
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Jun 20 2008, 01:57 AM) *
Damn, without the aspected mage its going o be virtually impossible to convert the character over. I'll need to have a thunk about concepts.

I was leaning towards a rigger, but I don;t think I can make that fly with unwired around the corner and possibly changing the matrix game

How would you handle that?

I think the fairest way will probably be to let everybody re-examine and redo matrix related things after we get a good look at Unwired. That would apply to Granny the Technomancer too, and probably even to everybody's basic commlink stuff, if rule changes/additions seem to warrant it.

That's more or less what we're planning on doing with my IRC group.
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 20 2008, 12:51 AM) *
LOL.

Sorry, I edited another character sheet that was 450BP, thought I'd changed everything relevant.

The total is wrong, never even noticed it was there, it all adds up to 400.

Good deal then. I did have one other question, though possibly the machine sprite makes it moot, but does she just drive her cab on default?
DWC
I'll have a background for you tomorrow morning, and should have the number crunching done tomorrow night.
Rellim Eht Nora
Hello folks. If you've got another spot. I'd definitely like to get a piece of this action. I'm thinking on either a rigger or possibly *cringe* a mage type, depending on need.
crizh
QUOTE (Carny @ Jun 20 2008, 02:06 AM) *
Good deal then. I did have one other question, though possibly the machine sprite makes it moot, but does she just drive her cab on default?

Yup. She cannae drive ataw.

She would have to spend Edge if she ever needed to make a test. She relies entirely upon her 'wee friends' and lets the cab drive itself.

She fakes it for customers, hands on the wheel following it's movements.

Sometimes she'll get distracted by a particularly interesting (tedious) story she's telling and turn around and start gesticulating with both hands.

Working on gear and I really don't like the picture of the Orderly so I thought I'd reflavour one of the alt names for it.

[ Spoiler ]
Carny
QUOTE (Rellim Eht Nora @ Jun 20 2008, 06:14 AM) *
Hello folks. If you've got another spot. I'd definitely like to get a piece of this action. I'm thinking on either a rigger or possibly *cringe* a mage type, depending on need.

And we have our sixth player. At this point, I am closing this, since we are actually one over. As far as what is being played, I think cthuludreams is pondering a rigger, as well.
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 20 2008, 07:56 AM) *
Yup. She cannae drive ataw.

She would have to spend Edge if she ever needed to make a test. She relies entirely upon her 'wee friends' and lets the cab drive itself.

She fakes it for customers, hands on the wheel following it's movements.

Sometimes she'll get distracted by a particularly interesting (tedious) story she's telling and turn around and start gesticulating with both hands.

Working on gear and I really don't like the picture of the Orderly so I thought I'd reflavour one of the alt names for it.

[ Spoiler ]

Hmmm...not entirely sure I like the idea of someone 'wearing' this, but the general idea seems alright.
crizh
QUOTE (Carny @ Jun 20 2008, 03:24 PM) *
Hmmm...not entirely sure I like the idea of someone 'wearing' this, but the general idea seems alright.

Mechanically it's identical to an Evo Orderly. It just doesn't look so stupid.
DWC
Character background

[ Spoiler ]
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 20 2008, 02:40 PM) *
Mechanically it's identical to an Evo Orderly. It just doesn't look so stupid.

Works for me.
Carny
QUOTE (DWC @ Jun 20 2008, 03:07 PM) *
Character background

[ Spoiler ]

Looks good to me.
Carny
Rules of Engagement:

First, die rolling. I think I'll trust people to roll their own dice, for skill use and such. In combat for defense rolls and resistance rolls, I'll roll them, just to avoid a pause in the action. Generally speaking, I'll choose whatever seems most reasonable for defending. The only fly in the ointment is all-out defense, does anyone have any thoughts on how to handle that option without delaying things?
crizh
You could roll both options and let us choose which we prefer. This is what happens if you abort to full -defence and this is what happens if you don't.

Would give us a slight advantage but also lead to us being a little more cautious and getting creamed less often.
Carny
QUOTE (crizh @ Jun 21 2008, 04:03 PM) *
You could roll both options and let us choose which we prefer. This is what happens if you abort to full -defence and this is what happens if you don't.

Would give us a slight advantage but also lead to us being a little more cautious and getting creamed less often.

That sounds reasonable. I suppose if it seems to be advantaging the runners too much, I can start rolling both options for the other team too, where it might matter.

Unless anyone else has another option to offer, I think we'll go with this.
Carny
It may be early in the proceedings for this, with characters just starting to be developed, but I thought we might discuss how, if at all, they should be connected?

Do we want a group with pre-existing connections, either as a whole, or as sub-groups? Or do we want everybody to sort of meet up cold as part of the first run?
DWC
Either way works for me. Cold is always more amusing, though.

Sorry for the delay. Here's the preliminary character sheet.

[ Spoiler ]

edit: Tweaked the contacts to bring them more in line with their ratings.
23-Jul-2008 edit: Tweaked skills a tiny bit, adjusted some contacts to give them names, and flesh out a few details, and compressed them a bit
25-Jul-2008 Added names and rough detail to fake SINs, and ditched some rundundant gear to slightly diversify
Carny
QUOTE (DWC @ Jun 23 2008, 03:15 PM) *
Either way works for me. Cold is always more amusing, though.

Sorry for the delay. Here's the preliminary character sheet.

[ Spoiler ]

He looks good. The only thing I wonder a little about is that some of his contacts have pretty low connection ratings for who and what they are supposed to be.
DWC
QUOTE (Carny @ Jun 23 2008, 10:27 AM) *
He looks good. The only thing I wonder a little about is that some of his contacts have pretty low connection ratings for who and what they are supposed to be.

I'd set them so low because while they might be important in their respective worlds, there isn't much that they can do for him. However, if I can find the time this afternoon, I'll do some tweaking of descriptions and flesh them out. If you've got anything you want to specify for them, please let me know.
Carny
QUOTE (DWC @ Jun 23 2008, 05:05 PM) *
I'd set them so low because while they might be important in their respective worlds, there isn't much that they can do for him. However, if I can find the time this afternoon, I'll do some tweaking of descriptions and flesh them out. If you've got anything you want to specify for them, please let me know.

I don't have anything specific, but I do think their connections ratings should indicate the actual breadth of their connections. After all, when he goes to call one of them, most likely it will be because he needs something related to their world, so their actual connections will be important.
DWC
No problem. Updated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012