Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Reading in Astral Space
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
tisoz
I just finished reading Aftershock. According to the novel on page 249, astral projecting characters can now read the printed word from the astral plane.

Screw-up or rise in the mana level?
Fuchs
Screw up I'd say - novels usually are crap anyway with regards to rules, SR-consistency, and often simple logic as well.
Stahlseele
screw up.
rulebooks ALLWAYS superceede novels, and the rules say:"no. nope. . nuhu!!"
CanRay
Screw-up. You read emotions in the Astral Plane.

And emotions write themselves onto you. For a cheap high, hit a Rave in the Astral! nyahnyah.gif
Irian
Surely screw-up. See Street Magic, Page 112:

Even if the book in the above example was already flipped opn to the correct page by someone in the physical world the text on the page is all but impossible to read on the astral.[..] If the book were a significant tome wohse words have had an emotional impact on many people, the text may have enough emotional resonance to be understood from the astral plane.

So perhaps you can understand the bible in astral space or the koran, but not a typical novel. I stopped buying Shadowrun novels a while ago, one of the reasons to do so was, that they simply had much too often nothing to do with Shadowrun...
CanRay
I just site it as a reason that the books should be written by Shadowrunners like us. *Begs for attention to own writing in Sig*
Stahlseele
simple remedy for that: use orichalcum ink, the same used for tattoo-magic *g*
Irian
I'm not sure if this works... You don't SEE in astral space, so the actual FORM isn't that important. I'm not really sure about this, but I'm not sure if single letters, for example, could be read in astral space. Of course, I would treat any book written with orichalcum ink as "emotionally charged".
Stahlseele
and if the ink does not suffice, just put in some light spell . . maybe one that keeps the book in good shape ^^
Irian
What does a spell have to do with the content of the book?
Ancient History
<sigh> Just to throw some fuel on the fire, check out the astral pigments in Arsenal.
Irian
Interesting, didn't notice them. I wonder what the limiting factor is... Why can you only write short sentences?
Stahlseele
haven't read up on arsenal just yet . . good find Ancient one ^^
Dumori
The amount of paste Id assume or the amount of emotion you can put in the paste.
Irian
Don't think that the pigments have anything to do with emotions, amount seems to be an idea, but then it would be either a very small amount or you have to write rather big (which again doesn't fit to the tatoo version).
Ancient History
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 23 2008, 12:21 AM) *
haven't read up on arsenal just yet . . good find Ancient one ^^

Find, hell. I wrote the verdamnt thing.
CanRay
Too bad about that screwup. It was a good novel otherwise.

I liked it at least. Best of the most recent novels, with "Fistful of Data" being a nice rip off of the "Magnificent Seven Samurai" and it's decendants.
toturi
QUOTE (tisoz @ Jun 23 2008, 04:07 AM) *
I just finished reading Aftershock. According to the novel on page 249, astral projecting characters can now read the printed word from the astral plane.

Screw-up or rise in the mana level?

Need not be a screw up, could be just a GM's/writer's house rule. Remember that one rule which everyone likes to quote whenever they want to come up with their own rules, the one that I really dislike? Yes, that one.

Or it could be AH's astral inks, although it is a little early in the timeline for that. Arsenal is post 2070, Aftershock is IIRC 2063.
Trigger
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 22 2008, 09:39 PM) *
Need not be a screw up, could be just a GM's/writer's house rule. Remember that one rule which everyone likes to quote whenever they want to come up with their own rules, the one that I really dislike? Yes, that one.

Or it could be AH's astral inks, although it is a little early in the timeline for that. Arsenal is post 2070, Aftershock is IIRC 2063.

Actually Aftershock is in the 2070s, as Max is using a commlink and is referred to as a hacker throughout the novel.
toturi
QUOTE (Trigger @ Jun 23 2008, 09:53 AM) *
Actually Aftershock is in the 2070s, as Max is using a commlink and is referred to as a hacker throughout the novel.

Indeed, you are right. It is 2070. I must be getting old.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jun 23 2008, 01:31 AM) *
Find, hell. I wrote the verdamnt thing.

psh, show off *g*
CircuitBoyBlue
QUOTE (toturi @ Jun 22 2008, 10:27 PM) *
Indeed, you are right. It is 2070. I must be getting old.

Don't worry about it. We'll ALL be old in 2070.

I hear if you read Worlds Without End on the astral plane, your soul devours itself in despair...
CanRay
Well, I, for one, hope to see some good quality work in the novels is CGL is able to get some going.

Or translate some of the German-Only novels into English. Or vice-versa for our chummers on the other side of the Pond!
Stahlseele
you really DON'T want to read the german novels . . most of them are crap in my eyes . .
Fuchs
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 23 2008, 03:54 PM) *
you really DON'T want to read the german novels . . most of them are crap in my eyes . .

Indeed.
Hocus Pocus
so how did you like the novel?
Stahlseele
more or less meh . . i liked the one with boanerges better . . it's more realistic to shadowrun from a players point of view . . much more magic in the group than statistically realistic for the game world and an enemy with limited funds so only a small more shadowrunner like mercenary group . .
and i like the kind of combat they have, with gentleman-like rules and all and not an open field fight ^^

in Aftershocks i liked the Troll, Hood . . Robin Hood *g*
CanRay
Aftershocks, as I said before, seemed the best of the Post-FASA Novels that I've read. Did a really good job of it.

But I'm slamming my head into my desk, as I'm sure some people will think I ripped off Hood with my own character "Money" Johnson. Sorry, he was whipped up a year before I read Aftershocks!
Stahlseele
he's a Troll-Bow-Shooter, everybody and their mom has made one of those *g*
CanRay
I haven't. frown.gif
Hocus Pocus
these newer novels are kinda hit and miss. No single one i very truely enjoyed, but they all had their bits and peices of interest.
CanRay
Yeah, I'm really hoping that CGL will redeem the novels!
Fortune
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 25 2008, 07:41 AM) *
he's a Troll-Bow-Shooter, everybody and their mom has made one of those

No troll archers in my past. Elves, on the other hand ... biggrin.gif
Fuchs
What I found the novels' greatest faults before I stopped reading them - sometime past the awful Dragonheart trilogy - was that there was so much exotic stuff in them. It was as if the authors couldn't create a story and characters that were interesting on their own, so they covered it up with "special" stuff. World-threat this, Uber-Magic that. New special monster this, new special cyberware that.

In addition to that, a troll archer alone is enough for me to condemn a novel to the trash pile.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 25 2008, 02:55 AM) *
I haven't. frown.gif

QUOTE (Fortune @ Jun 25 2008, 11:16 AM) *
No troll archers in my past. Elves, on the other hand ... biggrin.gif

Try it!
Troll-Bowmen are Natures snipers ^^
or do an Ork and call him John *snickers*
Fortune
I don't do trolls! Or orks! Or even Dwarves! I might stoop to the level of a mere human, but that would have to be a special case. biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
psh, only thing elves are good for is for shmoozing it up . . and i can't do that for the life of me *g*
my idea of social combat is only threatening to do bodyly harm instead of just doing it ^^
CanRay
QUOTE (Fortune @ Jun 25 2008, 05:11 AM) *
I don't do trolls! Or orks! Or even Dwarves! I might stoop to the level of a mere human, but that would have to be a special case. biggrin.gif

Short Bus Special?

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 25 2008, 05:16 AM) *
psh, only thing elves are good for is for shmoozing it up . . and i can't do that for the life of me *g*
my idea of social combat is only threatening to do bodyly harm instead of just doing it ^^

"What's your negotiation skill?" "40mm. It's mounted underbarrel of my assault rifle."
Irian
Your gun ist your skill list...
tisoz
QUOTE (Hocus Pocus @ Jun 23 2008, 09:22 PM) *
so how did you like the novel?

I found the authors take on how magic worked interesting. I did not care for one description of trying to recall a long ago spell they once saw/used (it wasn't clear and almost sounded like they were learning the spell on the spot by remembering how someone else cast it.) The fighting from the rooftop of the moving vehicle was hokey, but something I always seem to encounter in a gaming group. The troll climbing out the driver's side window (with his bow and arrows slung over his shoulder) while having the near unconscious elf with no driving skill drive was about as far fetched as things got for me. I lost my suspension of disbelief. This after the authors made a point of having the troll at the rear of the party in case the environment reacted badly to his size.

All in all, I thought it was an improvement over the Kenson trilogy and even some of the later novels when the series was more active.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012