Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sr4 Character Generator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Community Projects
E in MD
esr4CM

The e-shadowrun 4 character manager system is currently going into beta release. I figured I'd pop in here to advert it a bit. Feel free to dl and use it. It is open source and freeware and runs the on the .net framework 3.0 so it should run in any OS that has the framework.

Right now it's just me so if there are any C# programmers out there who love shadowrun I could use the help. If you're interested you can contact me on source forge.

Edit:

Thank you all for the feedback. I haven't done much on it since the beta went out but this at least lets me know people are downloading and using it which gives me an incentive to keep working on it. Updates will unfortunately be slow in coming since i'm strapped for time. But I will pop back in on occasion to let people know how it's going. You can also check for updates on the sourceforge site. Again, thanks everybody.
cryptoknight
Ummm... where's wired reflexes?
Vegas
Call me crazy, but am I just "missing" where you can do an over 400bp build? I can't find an option to change the buildpoint totals anywhere and it caps me off at 425/400.
karstenchu
I'm digging this. I like the organization and setup. Could you make it so that you can organize skills and skill groups by linked attribute after you add them in the selected skills box? That would really be helpful. Thank you!
karstenchu
Also, I think the Incompetent (it's misspelled in the Qualities list) should be in the negative rather than positive section.
Lordmalachdrim
From what I've seen playing with this program I really like it.
Momijizukamori
Looks nice so far - the layout is very intuitive, which is nice. It actually reminds me a lot of an Earthdawn second ed character generator I've got lying around somewhere XD Some bugs I found inputting some of the 400bp characters I've got lying around:

-None of the one-shot adept powers (anything without levelled:true in the description) can be added
-No way of creating a Technomancer (the quality doesn't appear in the list)
-Can't add details for qualities requiring them
-Selecting 'new' from the file menu brings up a new clean sheet, but I can't edit anything on it - have to restart the program to get a new sheet
-Cerebral Booster ratings 2 and 3 aren't there (rating 1 is, however)
E in MD
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jun 24 2008, 11:14 PM) *
Ummm... where's wired reflexes?

Wired doesn't appear to be in the data file yet but eventually all available cyber will be included. In the mean time you can just add it yourself via the Configuration menu.

Configuration>>Gear>>Augmentations>>Cyberware

E in MD
QUOTE (karstenchu @ Jun 28 2008, 04:02 AM) *
Also, I think the Incompetent (it's misspelled in the Qualities list) should be in the negative rather than positive section.

Fixed in the master datastore. You can fix it in your own datastore by going to Configuration>>Qualities>>Positive

Updates like that will be automatically downloadable... eventually.
E in MD
QUOTE (Momijizukamori @ Jun 29 2008, 02:57 PM) *
Looks nice so far - the layout is very intuitive, which is nice. It actually reminds me a lot of an Earthdawn second ed character generator I've got lying around somewhere XD Some bugs I found inputting some of the 400bp characters I've got lying around:

-None of the one-shot adept powers (anything without levelled:true in the description) can be added
-No way of creating a Technomancer (the quality doesn't appear in the list)
-Can't add details for qualities requiring them
-Selecting 'new' from the file menu brings up a new clean sheet, but I can't edit anything on it - have to restart the program to get a new sheet
-Cerebral Booster ratings 2 and 3 aren't there (rating 1 is, however)

I'm glad you like it what I've done so far. Getting feedback like this helpful for motivation to continue it. Thus far it feels like I've been doing this in a vacuum. Given that it's just me developing and testing the darned thing, I have a full time job and a wife and kid I can use all the motivation I can get. I've tried to make it as easy to use as possible. I've got a lot of really big ideas for it ( including customizable rules sets ) some of which I don't even know how I'll implement or how I'll find the time to implement. Additionally, much like I've been saying with everything else eventually there will be an integrated help file. But i'm of the mindset that if your user needs a help file you've failed to design your UI correctly.

* Technomancers will be included eventually though to be honest I haven't had time to even look over the rules for them yet. For the beta the only magical characters I worried about were Mage and Adept since I was familiar with both of them. Mystick Adepts are in the pipeline as soon as I figure out a class structure and stuff for them. Technomancers are last on my list.
* The quality details thing I'll put on the bug list, that definitely needs to be fixed.
* One shot adept powers, currently you can't add any powers until you up your magic rating to pay for them. However, it appears that upping the magic rating doesn't subtract from your BP total like every other stat does. So that'll need to be fixed.
* The 'new' on the file menu clears and resets everything for me. Must have been fixed since the beta. The toolbar button isn't wired in yet though.
* I changed augmentations a bit so instead of having a whole new cyberware item for each level, ratings are now included in each cyberware item. So that if CB has levels 1-3 they will be included in the details for Cerebral Booster rather than having Cerebral Booster 1, Cerebral Booster 2 and Cerebral Booster 3 as separate items. This was mostly to save me the headache of having to work up incompatibilities for each level but actually makes the UI a little simpler as well as prevents you from taking the same cyber twice unless you're allowed. =) Now if a piece of aug has ratings you'll select the cyber, choose your level and then add it.

Thanks for the feedback. I've entered your bugs into source forge. I'll get to them as soon as I can.
E in MD
QUOTE (karstenchu @ Jun 28 2008, 03:56 AM) *
I'm digging this. I like the organization and setup. Could you make it so that you can organize skills and skill groups by linked attribute after you add them in the selected skills box? That would really be helpful. Thank you!

Column sorting will be put in to each of the list views. I used to use a listview control (authored by someone else) that had sorting and filtering/searching abilities built in. Unfortunately the thing completely stopped functioning in Vista for some unknown reason so I ripped it out and put standard listviews in it's place. I think I forgot to put column sorting in a few of them but that is easily fixed.

You'll be able to click on the 'Attribute' column and have them all group up by attribute.
E in MD
QUOTE (Vegas @ Jun 25 2008, 10:20 AM) *
Call me crazy, but am I just "missing" where you can do an over 400bp build? I can't find an option to change the buildpoint totals anywhere and it caps me off at 425/400.

There will be a configuration setting you can apply to do unrestricted builds... eventually. =)

Right now though some sections enforce BP restrictions and some do not. For example I just maxed out all attributes at 6's on a human which cost me 520 points. But now I can't buy any skills because I don't have the points.

Obviously that's not the way it's intended to work. =)
crash2029
I like this program. It's UI is quite intuitive. I quite look forward to utilizing it when it's completed.
cryptoknight
Just FYI... it appears to count BP spent on Edge as counting against the attribute BPs... the 200bp for edge are supposed to be for the core stats (Body,Reaction,Agility,Strength,Willpower,Intuition, Logic, Charisma)... not the special stats (Edge, Magic, Resonance) per Page 73.

At least it adds it to the abilities BP total... which can be confusing.
Raxle
Can you edit calculations? You're calculating initiative incorrectly. It's the sum of Reaction and Intuition. I have 5 and 4 and I'm only showing 8 on your app. I like it though. I'm trying to add what's missing for myself in it right now. I just started playing with it and I read the post above me and agree that the 1/2 your BP total for attributes only applies to the Physical and Mental attributes, so that should be fixed.
FlashbackJon
I'm looking forward to customizing cyberware (that is, installing things with capacity) and potentially customizing vehicles/firearms.

I am REALLY DIGGING the ability to modify the config files from within the app. That feature, by itself, easily blows every other generator out of the water. biggrin.gif
Cadmus
Don't know if its been mentioned but I just down loaded this program, and it seems that spirit bane is missing the qualites section,
FlashbackJon
Yeah, there's a considerable number of actual things missing from the files (Manipulation spells?) - I assume because we can edit those ourselves and the creator's focusing more on functionality than content.

On that note, I would LOVE a button to refresh when I alter the data files. As it is, I had to reload my character after putting the Aspected Magician in the data files.
revaddict
I'm running the program on Windows Vista Home Basic. The "Print Preview" command does nothing. The "Print" command gets an error and prints nothing.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just Vista?

Paul
Matlo
Firstly thanks for the hard work its an awesome application. Very intuitive to use and easy to navigate.

Im having the same problem as Revaddict. except im running XP.

The error when printing is coming up

************** Exception Text **************
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'itextsharp, Version=4.0.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8354ae6d2174ddca' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'itextsharp, Version=4.0.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=8354ae6d2174ddca'
at Sr4PdfExporter.DefaultSheetOutput.ExportToTemplate()
at Sr4PdfExporter.DefaultSheetOutput.Export()
at eSr4CM.CharacterManager.Print()
at eSr4CM.CharacterManager.printMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1433 (REDBITS.050727-1400)
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
eSr4CM
Assembly Version: 0.0.5.36780
Win32 Version: 0.0.5.*
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/esr4CM/esr4CM.exe
esr4ObjectLib
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/esr4CM/esr4ObjectLib.DLL
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
esr4Base
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/esr4CM/esr4Base.DLL
log4net
Assembly Version: 1.2.10.0
Win32 Version: 1.2.10.0
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/esr4CM/log4net.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
esr4UI
Assembly Version: 1.0.3020.36772
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/esr4CM/esr4UI.DLL
System.Web
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Web/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///D:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
Sr4PdfExporter
CodeBase: file:///D:/Program%20Files/esr4CM/Sr4PdfExporter.DLL

Now that's all goboldeygook to me but i hope that it makes more scene to you.

Thanks again for the hard work

Aaran
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012