Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beer...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
D Minor
Just a Note. When Stats Canada last released it survey on Alcohol consumption. The northern parts of the country where 3 to 4 times higher than on average. In northern Canada pretty much all you can do is drink beer. I have also seen a fully stocked pub and offsale store sell out in a single day. Word of warning. Stay away from Williams Lake at stampede time.
Snow_Fox
If you think it's the only thing to do, I think you're into a wonderful surprise once you meet the right girl. love.gif
hobgoblin
note the bit about "right"...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jul 9 2008, 09:44 PM) *
If you think it's the only thing to do, I think you're into a wonderful surprise once you meet the right girl. love.gif

Drink with the female? But that still requires beer...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (masterofm @ Jul 9 2008, 03:43 PM) *
Since my friend never vomited and was a heavy drinker by the age of 16, on his 18th birthday. Some of my friends made a bet to see how much he could drink before he would throw up (of course without telling him.) He drank a bottle and a half of vodka, half a bottle of whiskey, about 18 beers and after that he couldn't really remember what else. It was insane though because he just started going on a drinking rampage and was snatching things out of people's hands and drinking it. He fell down a flight of stairs I think like 4 times and attacked some of my friends (took 4 of us to subdue him.) What was more awesome is he was saying stuff like "weaklings you are nothing compared to me," which was true cuz' that fool had crazy drunk strength. In the end he never threw up during the party and eventually he was taken home, and only when we left did he puke.

IMO it's super lucky he didn't die of alcohol poisioning. Just out of curiosity, did he have a lot of body mass? (i.e. was he really big, or really fat?)
masterofm
He was slightly skinny. It is kind of hard to tell how much he weighed, but he was not a big guy. Also I think when he threw up at the very end of it all it probably did save his life.
nezumi
Here's an interesting article my dad sent me which brings up a point that might have already been covered.

[ Spoiler ]

1) Would home brewing (which, as Wearzmanyskins has pointed out, isn't at all difficult) become common again in the barrens? Presumably they'd use whatever organic material they could, possibly with some new kind of yeast, so it would be a soy/banana peels/mycoproteins mash (blech!) Related, how common would distilling be? It requires heat, but again, isn't too very difficult.

2) Assuming yes above, I've always been under the impression that elves have delicate stomaches. In 1st edition, they were all necessarily vegetarian, and even now we hear about fine Elven wines from the Tir. Would elves have inferior alcohol resistance compared to the other metaraces? Would this result in an artificially low number of elves in the barrens, except in areas where they can secure clean water?
masterofm
Maybe they are like the Japanese. They just get drunk faster, because they don't have as much protein that help break it down?
ornot
One could suggest that the switching on of meta genes to make elves results in the switching off of the genes that make alcohol dehydrogenase, but frankly I don't think so. If elves were frailer than humans they'd have a lower body. Which they don't in SR4, and didn't - to my knowledge - in SR3 or SR2. I never played SR1.

IIRC there are some references to elves tending toward vegetarianism in the BBB, but that could just be a cultural thing, as could the wines. Some wine snobs insist that French wine is the best - or to get back on topic, a particular nation's beer - but broadly speaking they're just different, and ultimately it's what your palate prefers. What can be said for certain is that beer does not usually travel well, so any given drinker will likely consider any imports to be inferior to their local brew.
paws2sky
Re: home brewers in the barrens

Yes, I think that would be likely.

Many of the fringe bars/restaurants in my games have a "house brew" that they make either on site, or locally. In some cases its bathtub gin, in other cases an amateurish beer. In most cases it sucks, but ordering (and drinking) it is a way to ingratiate yourself with the proprietor and/or the locals. Its also usually safer than drinking the water in some places.

Re: Elves and alcohol

I pretty much ignore the dietary restrictions mentioned in earlier editions. I figure by 2070, the mana levels have stabilized enough that its no longer an issue (though trhere may still be a cultural bias toward certain diets). Just as elves don't need to eat vegetarian, orks and trolls don't need to eat mostly meat (or other high protein foods) to stay healthy. Similarly, elves are as robust, physically, as humans, so anything a human can drink and not get ill from, an elf can too. Orks, dwarfs, and trolls though, well, they tend to need something with a bit more kick.

IMO, "elven wines" still exist, but its more of a cultural identity / labeling thing. If you buy a genuine elven wine, you can be certain the wine was created, start to finish, in one of the Tir nations, using very specific kinds of grapes, harvesting methods, brewing techniques, and so on.

Its a lot like how, IRL, tequila, champagne, and bordello are supposed to be tied to particular regions of particular countries. Other places may bottle and label their products as tequila (or elven wine, as the case may be), but that doesn't mean it is, legally speaking, even if the same kinds of grapes and brewing techniques are used...

-paws
hobgoblin
And you do not need to buy it from those wan, unhealthy-looking people who, peering disapprovingly at you through rimless Trotsky-style spectacles, seem to run all the health food stores.

heh, is that an attempt by the paper to connect health food stores to communism? nyahnyah.gif

as in, capitalists drink alcohol (starting at beer if your a working man, making your way up to wine and the brown stuff "hopefully"), a communist drink what? distilled water?
D Minor

@Snow fox The right girl and I parted ways around the release of 2nd Ed. Now I just settle for the right now girl love.gif
nezumi
QUOTE (D Minor @ Jul 10 2008, 07:47 PM) *
@Snow fox The right girl and I parted ways around the release of 2nd Ed.

Hey you don't need to be like that. There are plenty of groups that still run 2nd edition. No reason to say goodbye to your dearest smile.gif
Sweaty Hippo
So, I can't stand the taste of beer, but I like wine; I prefer my alcohol to taste good.

However, I can see a genuine advantage for alcoholics in Shadowrun: you can use Simsense to experience the feeling of getting drunk, without the need to poison your liver!

Now, as for the side effects of Simsense, that's an entirely different matter.

QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jul 9 2008, 01:10 PM) *
And so it is. I mean, I have seriously knocked down a half liter of 40% vodka in an evening or five liters of 12 degree beer in a day. That's entirely plausible for people from any part of the world.

Are there any wild fratboy parties in the Czech Republic's colleges? smile.gif

Even a sip of Vodka can make the average man tipsy. How can you assume that most people are used to it?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Sweaty Hippo @ Jul 11 2008, 02:42 AM) *
So, I can't stand the taste of beer, but I like wine; I prefer my alcohol to taste good.

Didn't you say in another thread that you're still in high school? In any case, this is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to hear some high schooler say...slam ALL beers as tasting bad, and suggesting that ALL wine tastes good.
Sweaty Hippo
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Jul 11 2008, 11:03 AM) *
Didn't you say in another thread that you're still in high school? In any case, this is exactly the sort of thing I'd expect to hear some high schooler say...slam ALL beers as tasting bad, and suggesting that ALL wine tastes good.

Yes. Sorry.

I'm sure that there are good-tasting beers out there, I just have yet to find them.
nezumi
I find Bud is quite good at cleansing the palate.

To be fair, the majority of beers have basic traits about them, including a bitter flavor, which makes them a somewhat acquired taste. Discounting our "Buddled" water, most beer is on the side of bitter or savory, and if those aren't your favored flavors, you simply may not like beer.
Hocus Pocus
beer will always be around! without it, where would our inflated sense of self esteem come from? how would we turn the last chick at closing time into the hot babe of your dreams? how else will I be able to deal with my crippling depression?

beer doesn't judge, she accepts us for who we are, she never denies us, she is always there when we need her, she bring such joy and happiness with each sip, a cornucopia of endless courage, confidence, and self reliance. Don't ever leave us beer, nuture us, care for us, be forever by our side.

Sir_Psycho
I wonder if sixth world Australians are still the only country who don't stock Fosters.

As for all this complaining about American beers, I've only just managed to find some Budweiser here in Sydney and it's not half bad. It's also not any weaker than most beers, checking the alcohol content. The addition of rice is pretty tasty, too.

Anyway, Coopers Pale. A nice natural drop of Australian beer.

If I want to pay seven dollars for a beer, I'd probably go a Peroni.

But back on topic, the devs have a lot to answer for. We need a beer fluff book at once.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012