Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR X-Box game news
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Pages: 1, 2
Lady Anaka
Found this little tidbit in the January 2004 issue of Game Informer magazine, page 28, under "Loose Talk:"

Loose Talk has heard that Bungie is working on a revival of Shadowrun (originally on the SNES) for the Xbox. The Halo creator is said to be collaborating closely with author Jordan Weisman.

I'll note that I didn't find this myself, but was pointed to the quote on another board I'm on. I don't know squat about it, but I can't think of anyone better to do the game than Bungie. Hot damn.
Pthgar
I love links.
Lady Anaka
Well, here's the link to the original conversation I copy/pasted from:

RPGnet thread

I'd verify it myself happily, but my Game Informer subscription ran out last month. Anybody else got one handy to look it up?
Tanka
Freaking finally. Hopefully it's very customizable and isn't purely FPS. I would cry so much.
Ancient History
But why the SNES version? It sucked! Why not the Genesis!
Zolhex
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 17 2003, 10:59 PM)
But why the SNES version?  It sucked!  Why not the Genesis!

I agree I mean come on in the snes version I could have a str. & quick. of 20+ be cybered up the ass and magically active. Can you say error.
Ancient History
You could do that in genesis too, but there weren't any damn magic or hit points at least.
Zolhex
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 17 2003, 11:23 PM)
You could do that in genesis too, but there weren't any damn magic or hit points at least.

Really I'd love for you to show me that one. I own the sega game never been able to get 20+ in any attribute. The only thing I've found you can do is get unlimited karma. But it does not let you go to 20+ attributes it hits a max before that and the max for weapon skills is 13. Also put in cyber and If memory serves you lose magic ability.
Ancient History
You can hack it for Ungodly attributes, but what I mean is that you can still be a cybermonster and a bad-ass shaman at the same time, the lessened magical abilty amounts to needing to carry more fetishes around, s'all.
Fresno Bob
Yeah, but that's hacking it...

The Genesis one is much better. Battle System- Better. Story- Better. More Guns- Better, etc, etc...
Backgammon
SNES had a better athmosphere I found, though. It was more cyberpunk but less shadowrun.
XON2000
I doubt that it will actually be "based on" the SNES version. They probably just mentioned it, because that is the reference that many video gamers will recognize. In fact, the author of the article may be unaware of SR's true origins and just assume that the XBox game is a sequel to the SNES game. But the XBox is capable of so much more than the SNES, I'm sure the similarities will be minimal.
Zolhex
I just hope it goes cross platform so I can play it playstation 2.
bwdemon
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
I just hope it goes cross platform so I can play it playstation 2.

Not going to happen with MS in charge of the license... heheheh. I still find it hard to believe that people use PS2s with two far-superior consoles available. Sure, the PS2 has more games than any other system, but most of them are coaster material at best.
Zolhex
Two systems better??? nintendo sucks ass. Bill gets enough of my money as it is with computer software. As to your thought of it crossing over lots of game s do and already have. Lastly the ps2 may be low end for now but 2005 is ps3 so things will improve.
ThatPaolo
QUOTE (E.O.T.L.F.)
As to your thought of it crossing over lots of game s do and already have.

Call me when Crimson Skies and Mechassault are ported to the PS2.
Lady Anaka
Your odds of seeing it cross over to another platform (other than PC) are the same as seeing Halo, Crimson Skies, Mechwarrior/Mechassault, or any of the other exclusive Microsoft-owned properties -- as in, nada. They have a game,they have a console, and they want to keep it exclusive so as to draw people to their console. It's strictly business.
Adam
Halo just came out for Macs.
Tanka
You can also run Windows on Macs.
Buzzed
Unfortunately, it might just become an xbox release, meaning it would be more click and less rule-oriented to the true rpg. This is going to be a major dissapointment.

Can you say "name association"? Just another butcher of the game with better gfx.
Zolhex
Did a search took less that a minute to find several sites that talk about it and the first one I clicked on had an article called:

There's a Halo Around PlayStation2 Unofficial sources point toward Bungie's potentially revolutionary game coming to PlayStation2.

So I guess If Shadowrun does get made then we'll see if it goes to PS2.
Buzzed
Neverwinter Nights didnt come out on console for a good reason.

You cannot keep adding adventures, gear, spells, places to explore, and npc's to games on consoles.

console rpg = suck.

If Microsoft was smart, they would make it a computer game from the start. That way they can compete to get players from Neverwinter Nights and EverCrack. Now that would be a wise marketing move.
ThatPaolo
QUOTE (tanka)
You can also run Windows on Macs.
ThatPaolo
QUOTE (Adam)

Consoles. That was the topic.
Synner
Halo is also available for PCs.
Tanka
QUOTE (Synner)
Halo is also available for PCs.

Where is that blasted "smack forehead" emoticon?! Gyah!
Mr. Man
This will probably be butchered worse than Deus Ex: Invisible War was. frown.gif

At least expectations are low, but to be honest I don't care if the game gives oral pleasure: I'll be buying a console when Carrot Top sweeps the Oscars.

I can wait for the (inevitable) XBox emulator.

Adam
Knights of the Old Republic seems to be a successful and well-done console RPG.
lorg
QUOTE (Adam)
Knights of the Old Republic seems to be a successful and well-done console RPG.

While it was I feel it could probably have been an even better game if they had actually made an pc rpg instead of it being so consolified. But it worked and was fun as hell ...
hobgoblin
hmm, shadowrun the shen-mue (or whatever the spelling was...) way smile.gif
bwdemon
ARGH! No Shenmue! No Shenmue!! A friend of mine talked me into getting that game (Shenmue II), saying it was the greatest thing ever. I read a couple reviews that said likewise, then I bought the (expletive) thing.

Shenmue: experience the joys of performing menial labor and taking sleazy sidewalk jobs for hours on end, punctuated by occasional aimless wandering across a well-rendered cityscape.
Jetmaster
QUOTE (Adam)

I think that was just Bungie asserting their little ounce of control, as they were first and formost a mac developer.
The Jake
This ends the debate of which console to buy.... PS2 or XBOX...

- J.
thunderchild
QUOTE (The Jake)
This ends the debate of which console to buy.... PS2 or XBOX...

- J.

Dont bother, Microsot know a Profitr when they see one. It will first come out for X-box but they will in the long run release it for pc then Ps2

They do that so that people who are too financialy strapped to buy a new system or whos pc's suck might be able to afford a new game for their ps2 or pc but couldnt stretch the $300 for an X-box

I know im one of them, I have a decent pc but my newest console is a dreamcast (and yes I still play it)
XON2000
Actually, console makers really want exclusive games. True, they could sell more games if they released versions for other consoles, but in the long run, they would rather have more games that are exclusive to their console, to encourage more people to buy their console. The more X-Boxes there are, the larger the market for X-Box games.

And with Microsoft trying very hard to close the gap between the X-Box and the PS2, they don't want to do Sony any favors. Granted, the game might come out for PC, but I doubt it will ever come out for another console.
Bull
As a current GameStop employee who is holding the January issue of Game Informer magazine i8n his hands as he types (No mean feat wink.gif), I can confirm that the Cut n Paste is accurate, and is the full news tidbit.

That said, a few misconceptions.

1) Mechwarrior, Halo, and Crimson Skies will not be available on any other platform console. They're exclusive, and the chances of them showing up on PS2 or Gamecube are about the same as Final Fantasy X showing up on the XBox or Cube. There may be a different MechWarrior, Battletech, or Crimson Skies game that gets released for one of those systems, but it won't be the same as the current ones available, and the chances are slim anyways.

2) The fact is that the Console Market and the PC Gaming market are two differnet target audiences, and two very different markets. Sure, Halo is on the PC now, and out for Mac, but no one really cares all that much. Console games released for the PC sell poorly, and vice versa for PC games done for the Console.

Shadowrun does not have the following nor the built in "knowledge" of the world that a fantasy game like Neverwinter Nights has. Fantasy is easy, everyone can wrap their brains around it. Cybperunk is a whole other element, and the udience is a good deal smaller> So a Neverwinter Nights style game isn't really an option.

At best, we'll see a Knights of the Old Republic style RPG (Which would rock if it's even half as good as KotOR), but we're more likely to see something more action oriented than a straight RPG.

Also, I'd just like to say for all those disparaging the X-Box simply because it's a Microsoft Product... Grow up! What, are you still in 3rd grade? Try judging a product on it's merits rather than just becauwse it's made by some company you have a bias against.

Bull
Frag-o Delux
I am not a big video gamer, but I could care less which system it comes out on. I have a little brother(11) who has all my old systems and all the new ones and I have a really nice computer so....IF the games looks good I'll get it no matter what system it is on. X-box, PS2, or Game Cube makes no difference. I just hope it is not a FPS with Shadowrun slapped on it.
XON2000
It's true that a "massively multi-player" game is probably out of the question, but can you imagine how cool that would be? Running the shadows would be a perfect setting for the kind of mission-based play that those games tend to have. Or, players could form a gang, and have turf wars with other gangs.

And what about this: What if the game allowed some players to take the roll of an actual corp. They could hire runners to do missions against other corps, allowing for more dynamic, player-created content than just static missions.

Of course, a sort of role-playing action game would be good too, but it's good to dream.
LoseAsDirected
QUOTE (Buzzed)
Neverwinter Nights didnt come out on console for a good reason.

You cannot keep adding adventures, gear, spells, places to explore, and npc's to games on consoles.

console rpg = suck.

If Microsoft was smart, they would make it a computer game from the start. That way they can compete to get players from Neverwinter Nights and EverCrack. Now that would be a wise marketing move.

Need I remind you of the capacity of XBOX Live?

Sure, they probably wont use it to its full advantage, but I still think it will be pretty awesome.. Have you played Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic or The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind? If they improve on those concepts and add them to a Shadowrun universe, with full XBOX Live support for downloaded content, this could be an awesome game.. And the best part about a console game is that you don't need to have a top of the line PC to play it..

I mean, sure.. NWN is infinitely better than any of the Baldur's Gate games on the consoles, but then again, you need a great PC to run it at its peak.. My PC can barely even load the game, let alone play it at a quality/frame rate worth noting.

Instead of being a doubting Thomas, let's try and be optimistic.. Maybe they'll do a good job.. Maybe it will be as successful as KOTOR or Morrowind, and enough copies will be sold that they make a sequel.. Maybe the sequel wont suck.. You don't know what will happen... It could be the beginning of a revolution.

Personally, I'd love to see the next Shadowrun game be something like True Life Fantasy, or Fable..
LoseAsDirected
QUOTE (XON2000)
It's true that a "massively multi-player" game is probably out of the question, but can you imagine how cool that would be? Running the shadows would be a perfect setting for the kind of mission-based play that those games tend to have. Or, players could form a gang, and have turf wars with other gangs.

And what about this: What if the game allowed some players to take the roll of an actual corp. They could hire runners to do missions against other corps, allowing for more dynamic, player-created content than just static missions.

Of course, a sort of role-playing action game would be good too, but it's good to dream.

Have you ever played an MMORPG? Christ, they barely work for a fantasy setting..

I shudder at the thought of all the EverQuest idiots playing Shadowrun alongside me..

There I am, trying to stay in character, letting the ambience of the game affect my mood, focusing on the run at hand, and some 'n00b' runs up to me saying 'SOW pls!!!!!!!!!1!!1!'

Besides, half of the fun of Shadowrun is the fact that you can die at any second, and there are no resurrection spells.. That wont translate well into an MMORPG.. Unless they give EVERYONE DocWagon contracts, at which point, the game becomes even less like Shadowrun..

Plus, have you ever tried a 'quest' on EverQuest? They are pathetic.. You run up to some NPC, hope they can give a quest, and initiate a lame ass conversation which consists of you typing a single word, reading their reponse (scanning for some key words), typing some more key words, all while a bunch of idiots are yelling crap like 'wts sotf 500pt pls send tell' and 'wtb sotw 5000pt pls send tell', with a few more idiots running around in circles yelling random stuff, while being harassed by idiots saying 'SOW pls' or 'gt pls'... And then every time someone in the freakin' area levels up they shout out 'ding! level whateverthefuckingnumber', and about 40 people shout 'grats! w00t' and other nonsensical stuff..

Shadowrun in an EverQuest style? No fucking thank you.
Kagetenshi
Actually, that sounds like it would perfectly represent the chaos of busy downtown Seattle wink.gif
Having the game have strict death and a duration before your new character can enter the game (to keep you from immediately dashing for your old gear, natch) would do two things: one, keep with the deadly spirit of Shadowrun, and two, dissuade the Everquest n00bs.
It would also do a third thing, tied intimately with the second: make the game sell abysmally. C'est la vie.

~J

Postscript: any chance you can translate the unintelligible gibberish spouted by the Everquest players quoted in your reply?
LoseAsDirected
All I remember is that 'wts' means 'Willing to sell', and of course, 'wtb' means 'Willing to buy'..

I think 'SOW' is some spell.. Spirit of the Wolf, if memory serves.. It speeds up your movement, and so everyone wants to have it cast on them whenever they travel.. Of course, only a handful of classes have the ability to cast that spell, so if you happen to be of that class you can expect to be harassed by people to cast it on them..

'gt pls' I believe is 'I need someone that can cast 'Gate', so I can go somewhere else'.

And, 'grats' is short for congratulations..

As for the 'sotw' and 'sotf', I dunno.. I couldn't tell you.. I just assume it means 'Sword of the Whatever' and 'Sword of the Fuckhead'..
Kagetenshi
Well, that's what the Ares Predator is for. You could hook the game up to allow enhanced PKing to anyone who abuses the english language in certain ways, with leniency for connections from out of the US, UK, Ireland, and Australia (and the other English-speaking types).

~J
Dogsoup
Something brooding in my head for some time now, with all these threads saying "SR rules! It should have a computer counterpart!":

You can't make a compRPG, much less a MMORPG, out of shadowrun.

An action(/adventure)-game perhaps, but not a RPG as we percieve them now; The character development is too flat for that. The very same mechanics that make AD&D the not-so-best PnP RPG, also makes it one of the best for a computer port. Since I deem SR too be the best PnP RPG ever (and ever and....), Im quite content with the game remaining at that.

If SR makes it too the electronic format, it will probably be some sort of shooter. Hopefully one with grace and refined ideas (Deus Ex, Max Payne 1 etc.), but still a shooter. And I wouldn't want it any other way.
XON2000
QUOTE (LoseAsDirected)
Have you ever played an MMORPG? Christ, they barely work for a fantasy setting..

I shudder at the thought of all the EverQuest idiots playing Shadowrun alongside me..

Yes, actually, I have played an MMORPG, and yes, I agree that there are a lot of idiots, "leet" speakers, and all that crap, but that doesn't mean that they're completely without merit. And really, the kind of out-of-character conversations that tend to go on in those games would be more appropriate to the SR setting than a fantasy setting like Everquest.

I also agree that the standard missions in MMORPGs are pretty unsatisfying, but that's why I think it would be cool to have some mechanism that would allow some players to control corporations, thereby creating content for missions. Imagine if a player, as a corporation, could purchase a facility that could be used to research a new drug, for instance. He could also hire NPC guards and purchase other security measures. Another corporate player may want the formula for this new drug, and hire PC shadowrunners to break into the lab to steal it. The PCs would have to get past whatever security measures the first corporate player had purchased.

I know it might be too complicated to pull off, but the idea sounds cool to me.
Fresno Bob
LoseAsDirected, that Everquest post was fucking genius.
LoseAsDirected
*takes a bow*
Rev
Console games are only ported to pc if they do very well.

The basic calculation is: can we be absolutely certain that we will make more money off the pc version than it will cost to make and market plus whatever profit they feel makes it worthwhile. This means either that the game is a bestseller and they port it a year or two later (eg halo), or it is a sequel and they are so confident that they release both more or less simultaneously (eg deus ex invisible war). The threshold for this should be somewhat lower for xbox games than for ps2 games because the xbox is more pc-like than the ps2.

So will they be sure enough that a shadowrun game will do well to release it for both simultaneously? Probably not.

Will microsoft release it on both ps2 and xbox? No.

Will it do well enough to be released on pc later? Well possibly, but it won't be because of the Shadowrun brand name.
Logo
First, I'll see if it's any good. I might buy an Xbox for a quality Shadowrun game. I love Cyberpunk ^_^

And for the record, the SNES game was what got me into Shadowrun, so IMNSHO, it owns nyahnyah.gif
LoseAsDirected
Likewise.. A friend and I played it all the time in middle school, and then the Sega version came out, and I loved it even more.. Then in '96, my freshman year in high school, we met a guy who was into the P&P RPG version, and we've been playing it ever since.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012