Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DragonCon
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
Phantastik
Gaming prereg is live for DragonCon - there's no Shadowrun listed though.

I'm just assuming events haven't been submitted yet, so I'll ask here: will there be any NYC scenarios there?

the_dunner
Yes, CGL plans to run events at Dragon*Con. We plan to have the same six SRM scenarios at Dragon*Con as we'll have at GenCon, pending convention acceptance of the event list.
HeavyMetalYeti
Where and when is Dragon Con?
the_dunner
QUOTE (HeavyMetalYeti @ Jul 16 2008, 07:10 PM) *
Where and when is Dragon Con?

Dragon*Con is 8/29-9/1/2008 in Atlanta, GA.
HeavyMetalYeti
A little too far to drive for me. Thanks for the info though.
Critias
I'll be there, though I haven't signed up for anything yet.

Do I get free karma points or anything if I show up to game in my Cobra 21st Infantry bluesuit, or a Catman costume?
Bull
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 18 2008, 04:34 AM) *
I'll be there, though I haven't signed up for anything yet.

Do I get free karma points or anything if I show up to game in my Cobra 21st Infantry bluesuit, or a Catman costume?

Dude, are you wearing either at Gen Con? Cause that'd be awesome smile.gif

At least bring the helmet to show off!
RobertB
I just read on the Exhibitor's list that Catalyst Games will be at Dragon*Con. Would that be Catalyst Game Labs? If so, woot! If not, sad face.
the_dunner
QUOTE (RobertB @ Jul 31 2008, 03:29 PM) *
I just read on the Exhibitor's list that Catalyst Games will be at Dragon*Con. Would that be Catalyst Game Labs? If so, woot! If not, sad face.

Yes, Catalyst Game Labs will have a booth at Dragon*Con this year. cyber.gif
WiredWeasel
I'll be posting this on the other DragonCon related thread as well.
I just wanted to know if there might be the possibility of maybe getting into a game on-site.
I'm not the DJ this year, so I have a chance to play this year, but I am still going to work staff and don't know my schedule yet, so signing up for a game ahead of time isn't really possible.
Any chance of me getting into one last minute?

Also, I take it the Catalyst booth will be in the Exhibitor's Hall? Looking forward to stopping by...need some supplies smile.gif
Will Unwired be available by then...maybe be at the booth?
the_dunner
I think I already answered the question about getting into games (IE - Odds are good)

QUOTE (WiredWeasel @ Aug 1 2008, 01:11 PM) *
Also, I take it the Catalyst booth will be in the Exhibitor's Hall? Looking forward to stopping by...need some supplies smile.gif
Will Unwired be available by then...maybe be at the booth?

Per the upcoming releases announcement, we're planning on having Unwired and Runner's Companion at GenCon. Odds are good they'll also be at Dragon*Con. smile.gif
Critias
QUOTE (Bull @ Jul 18 2008, 07:50 AM) *
Dude, are you wearing either at Gen Con? Cause that'd be awesome smile.gif

At least bring the helmet to show off!

Ack, didn't get this post 'till just today (my forumite ADD kicked in and I wandered away from the conversation entirely). No, neither costume made an appearance at GenCon, but I'll do my best to swing by the Catalyst booth in one of 'em, and make my wife snap a pic or two as proof.

'Cause I know folks are just dying to see Catman-Crit or Cobra-Crit shaking hands with someone, holding up a Runners Companion (like a dated newspaper in a hostage snapshot). rotfl.gif
dog_xinu

I believe I am the only person part of CDT (demo team) that was at gencon that will be at dragon*con to my knowledge. I know CGL is going t be there so they get to see my shiny happy face again...

Critias
Here is a link to the official Cobra 21st Infantry's collection (so far, it's still growing) of photos from this year's DragonCon. My wife's the photographer for the gang, and also the webmistress, so I know we've still got about three Cobra's worth of photos to add to the "official" bunch.

Some are of us in costume (though the parade ones turned out pretty cruddy on our middling-to-cheap camera), some of are us just screwing around the hotel, some are of any old random cool thing we saw while strolling around the 'con for four days.

To anyone that's never been to a DragonCon -- it's a lot of fun, even without a costume of your own. There aren't many other places you can go for a weekend as surreal and amusing and entertaining. Part of the time you're getting smacked by your wife for looking a little too closely at a gal dressed a little too scantily, part of the time you're playing "HOLY CRAP I just realized/recognized your costume, I, too, am a child of the 80's!", part of the time you're eating at awesome Atlanta joints like The Vortex, part of the time you're getting in a little gaming, part of the time you're going to interviews and panels with actors and writers... it's a great time, even if it's not as hardcore focused on gaming as Gencon is.

It's like Disneyland for geeks.
Bull
So which ones you, so we know who to look for next year? wink.gif

And I love that Monarch Banner. I'm tempted to try and do a #21 Henchman costume for GC smile.gif
Bull
Oh, and http://www.cobracares.com/imgs/dc08/pages/0017_jpg.htm is nice. Hard to tell under the flash, is that blue or black? If Black, is it supposed to be the Crimson Shadow Guard, one of the TRU exclusive sets from a few years ago? If Blue... Blue Crimson Guard? Huh? smile.gif

http://www.cobracares.com/imgs/dc08/dc08b/pages/0028_jpg.htm

Ok, Black. Nice. Very, very nice smile.gif

Overall, cool stuff ork.gif
Critias
Yeah, that was our Shadow Guard (and it's a mighty snazzy looking uniform, too). Our regular CG are pretty sweet looking, too. Our regular ol' Bluesuits are only really impressive in numbers, because then the uniformity really shows. But, well, when you sign on as Faceless Bad Guy Mook #23, you know your costume isn't going to be the one getting the chicks.

And I...am...uhh, well, really, "the one in blue" doesn't help. We all get really good at eyebrow-identification at D*Con (and, in fact, we have a "no showing your face for a photo or you get the asshat" rule, to encourage balaclavas being worn).

Hrm. I'm having a problem loading the Cobra pages right now, so I can't even wade in and pick out a few with me in it. I was the guy in the Catman suit (in several shots), and I was the lone Bluesuit in a shot with Spidey and Ms Marvel, in one instance. I was also the only Bluesuit (with a Stormtrooper) in a shot with the little kid in the Batman outfit, too. In the parade shots I was the standard bearer, but our parade shots turned out unfortunately pretty crappily.

Related, and eerily coincidental, story:

The guy I commissioned my Catman outfit from planned on attending DragonCon, and had mentioned as much during our emails about the costume. I ran into him Sunday morning, just before the big (outdoor) DC Universe photo shoot. He was dressed as Captain Marvel, came over and asked me about the costume and how I liked it, etc, etc. I waved my wife over to say hi, and she overheard the two of us shaking hands and re-introducing ourselves (as Rusty and Martin, not Catman and Captain Marvel)...and she stops, squints, does a double take...

"Martin...from Dallas?" And she runs over and hugs him and they play catch-up for five minutes.

Running into the costuming guy that made my costume, at a costuming convention we both knew he would be at? Not that big a deal.

That guy, who I randomly found on the internet to commission for a costume, just happening to be a dude that my wife worked with eighteen years ago at her first job, back in high school and several states away? Freaky weird.

Moral of the story: you never know where an old Contact might turn up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012