Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greenhorns in Seattle recruitment drive
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
imperialus
Hey all. I've never tried recruiting for an ongoing game before so this might be a bit haphazard. Anyhow I'm looking for a single player to join an ongoing PbP campaign. It's a very traditional Shadowrun game. There is no particular 'theme' to the overall campaign. At the moment I am running a 4th ed conversion the old 2nd edition adventure "Dark Angel".

Now since the campaign is already well under way I'd suggest taking a look at the IC thread. If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, the adventure went into phase 2 on page 10 so that should get you current with where we are now without having to slog through 12 pages of thread just to figure out what's going on.

Now... as far as actual character concepts go things are going to need to be a bit more restrictive than usual.

1) We need a gunbunny of some sort. The group is low on firepower. A mage might also be a good fit.

2) In terms of background... Right now I'd be looking for someone who has extensive Yakuza connections. You'll be working for a Yakuza Oyuban named Usaka who will be sending you along to keep an eye on these runners that are involving themselves in his business. He's not working against them, in fact he views them as potential assets but he wants you to watch them and see if they would be useful in the future.

Now the game originally was meant to serve as an introduction to new players. I'm willing to accept more experienced players however. Anyhow if you want to post character concepts in the thread I'll be looking for input from my current players too.

PS. If you are looking at the other PC's character sheets it is Hex, as played by Seraph Kast who has dropped. He's an ork street sam.
Intro
Well, I'm definitely not an experienced player. Haven't played any sort of RPG for ten years, but borrowed the core book from a friend who's been sucked into D&D 4E, and it seemed like an interesting mythos. I actually just came to the Dumpshock forums, and started randomly reading your campaign's posts, and it seemed quite fun and very well done. So perhaps a PbP would be the way to go about getting back into the RPing. And by the time I'd gotten to the end, this post came up.

I actually had just statted out a character, playing around with the system. Definitely more towards the gun-bunny side, and rather an anti-mage. A little bit of modification and I think he'd suit your role reasonably well. I imagine there's more stuff to suit such a character in the Arsenal or Augmentations books, but I'm lacking them. Anyway, a character description and stat block reside behind the hide tag, so as not to be an overlong post.

[ Spoiler ]
imperialus
He looks good. I'll have to look over him more closely though. I'll let you know what the group decides. Do you mind emailing me your xls? imperialus1 at hotmail dot com.
Ellipsis
So I've been following your campaign since you finished recruiting. I've been away from SR for many years just started getting inaugurated into fourth ed. I like the way your campaign has been run and I also haven't been in a game for a very long time, (I have been playing in Second Stringers as St. Damian which seems to be on hold right now). I've been liking what you're all doing so far, and (imperialus et all) the storytelling so far has been well done and kept me checking back on y'all for updates! Enough beating around the bush, I don't have any stats for you right now, but I'd throw my hat into the ring for a dyed in the wool killer, which might fit your parameters.

Let's say the Yakuza have made a strike around San Fran trying to gobble up territory. In the ensuing small scale war a group of gangers is taken out, but in one particular raid a small black elven child is left behind screaming, no more than a year old his wailing attracts the group's attention. One of their clean up crew (a sniper by trade pulled in by accident) takes uncalled for pity on the boy, and pulls him into the Yakuza fold raising him in the Japanese tradition as an assassin and gunslinger under the name Kabu (Cub). The duo (cub and his master) are moved to Seattle over the years, a few months pass in boring lethargy. Eventually in the ensuing power struggle of the local Oyabun's Kabu's master is killed in a botched run and he is left alone to return with news of the massacre. Hardened by a life in the Yak's ranks but still at a young age he is pulled in Usaka's ranks (19 or 20), and is being indoctrinated to this new group still in awe of his "master's" death. To test his loyalty to the clan and his skills, as well as these new entities on the scene which may prove valuable in cementing Usaka's climb in the local arena Kabu is assigned to work with this crew which has shown up on the Oyabun's doorstep.

If you're into this idea of the quiet type, and troubled young killer let me know and I'll work out the stats and all. I'm not thinking of an adept type cuz you guys seem to have that covered. Just your straight up raised in the clan, yet still untested killer heavy on the stealth and long range but more than capable of holding his own in a close up club firefight (with a little shameless Shogun Assassin thrown in...).

Either way keep it up and thanks!

-Steve

Mickle5125
QUOTE (Ellipsis @ Jul 18 2008, 03:50 AM) *
So I've been following your campaign since you finished recruiting. I've been away from SR for many years just started getting inaugurated into fourth ed. I like the way your campaign has been run and I also haven't been in a game for a very long time, (I have been playing in Second Stringers as St. Damian which seems to be on hold right now). I've been liking what you're all doing so far, and (imperialus et all) the storytelling so far has been well done and kept me checking back on y'all for updates! Enough beating around the bush, I don't have any stats for you right now, but I'd throw my hat into the ring for a dyed in the wool killer, which might fit your parameters.

Let's say the Yakuza have made a strike around San Fran trying to gobble up territory. In the ensuing small scale war a group of gangers is taken out, but in one particular raid a small black elven child is left behind screaming, no more than a year old his wailing attracts the group's attention. One of their clean up crew (a sniper by trade pulled in by accident) takes uncalled for pity on the boy, and pulls him into the Yakuza fold raising him in the Japanese tradition as an assassin and gunslinger under the name Kabu (Cub). The duo (cub and his master) are moved to Seattle over the years, a few months pass in boring lethargy. Eventually in the ensuing power struggle of the local Oyabun's Kabu's master is killed in a botched run and he is left alone to return with news of the massacre. Hardened by a life in the Yak's ranks but still at a young age he is pulled in Usaka's ranks (19 or 20), and is being indoctrinated to this new group still in awe of his "master's" death. To test his loyalty to the clan and his skills, as well as these new entities on the scene which may prove valuable in cementing Usaka's climb in the local arena Kabu is assigned to work with this crew which has shown up on the Oyabun's doorstep.

If you're into this idea of the quiet type, and troubled young killer let me know and I'll work out the stats and all. I'm not thinking of an adept type cuz you guys seem to have that covered. Just your straight up raised in the clan, yet still untested killer heavy on the stealth and long range but more than capable of holding his own in a close up club firefight (with a little shameless Shogun Assassin thrown in...).

Either way keep it up and thanks!

-Steve

could be entertaining... but also potentially fatal for padre...
JoelHalpern
Intro, a couple of comments on the character design.
Mostly, it looks interesting.
First, some general questions:
I wonder why you took the HK 227X as well as the Areas Alpha? Yes, it is slightly more concealable. But usually, one wants either concealable (pistols) or heavy (the Alpha, with the additional damage and the wonderful recoil compensation.)

Have you look at the errata. Gel rounds no longer get extra damage. They used to be a great idea. But with +2 AP and no extra damage, they reduce your effectiveness.

For pistols, the Predator is a nice one from the base book. There are some interesting alternatives using Arsenal, since the GM is willing to allow a character starting with a modded gun. (My favorite, at the moment, although it is low on ammo, is a Ruger Super Warhawk (6P, -2AP) modified with a personailzed grip to compensate for one point of recoil, and modified to fire semi-automatic. It can also have the Smartgun link and an expanded cylinder (8 shots instead of 6. Still limitted, so your choice whether you want it.) If you want to provide some guidelines, I can see what else I can see in Arsenal.

On the character design, you can take a skill group, and then improve some of the skills. So taking the firearms group, you can either take the whole group at 4, and the two skills at 5 (for the same 48 points) or take the group at 2 and the two skills at 5, and free up 4 points for other uses. (Some GMs do not allow that. Imperialus has allowed it, and has said he will continue to allow it.)

A question on the format. The first number after a skill appears to be the skill you paid for. The last number is the point cost. But what is the middle number?

Thank you,
Joel / Mack

Intro
1) I figured in addition to the firepower role and the concealed role a silenced but still heavier weapon than a silenced pistol might be useful. I haven't looked at the thresholds for perception to notice gunfire and the like (and I don't have access to the book atm), so I don't know if it's useful within the context of the game. I imagine that most fights for fun and balance reasons tend to be sort of stand-up straight-ahead things, but it seemed like a possibility.

2) I did look at it, but I guess I just didn't internalize that bit. Hmm. I figured there might be situations where one might want to do nonlethal damage to grab someone for questioning or as part of a job, and they also had good general utility with the +2DV. But without that, they're rather less useful. I guess I'll drop a fair amount of them. What do you suggest for the incapacitating role?

3) Heavily modded guns would fit this guy, since he's got a bit of gunsmithing in the background. The larger clip from the Predator seems like a good idea to me (and the Ruger seems just a bit too... unrefined for this guy's tastes). Something I would be interested in are the details various weaon mods that are in the book, things like the personalized grip and the like. Thanks.

4) I wasn't aware of that. I just built him by the book. I'd be happy to take advantage of it.

5) The second number is just the attribute associated with that skill, for a visual reference.

Alex
JoelHalpern
QUOTE (Intro @ Jul 18 2008, 02:36 PM) *
2) I did look at it [the errata changes to gel rounds], but I guess I just didn't internalize that bit. Hmm. I figured there might be situations where one might want to do nonlethal damage to grab someone for questioning or as part of a job, and they also had good general utility with the +2DV. But without that, they're rather less useful. I guess I'll drop a fair amount of them. What do you suggest for the incapacitating role?

The classic choice for incapacitating seems to be stick-n-shock. Which has its own drawbacks.
I did like gel rounds under the original, as I agree that being able to incapacitate is nice for many reasons (fewer dead bodies, prisoners to question, ...) It may make sense to stick with gel, but just not lots of it.

3) Heavily modded guns would fit this guy, since he's got a bit of gunsmithing in the background. The larger clip from the Predator seems like a good idea to me (and the Ruger seems just a bit too... unrefined for this guy's tastes). Something I would be interested in are the details various weaon mods that are in the book, things like the personalized grip and the like. Thanks.

Arsenal has a lot of options. concealment options. Extra recoil compensation options (A sling and a forearm grip, if the GM will allow that with the underbarrel grenade launcher.) larger ammo clips. Obviously, it would be inappropriate to post the full list. (The limit is that mods take a slot, and guns can have 6 slots worth of mods without special permission and special gear. And overmodding is suppose to cause some drawback as well.) Even weird hyper-velocity options for extra bullets on FA.
Which reminds me, the grenade launcher uses heavy weapons skill, so it may not be worth buying the grenades up front.

5) The second number is just the attribute associated with that skill, for a visual reference.

Alex

Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense of the format.
Intro
QUOTE (JoelHalpern @ Jul 18 2008, 05:16 PM) *
The classic choice for incapacitating seems to be stick-n-shock. Which has its own drawbacks.
I did like gel rounds under the original, as I agree that being able to incapacitate is nice for many reasons (fewer dead bodies, prisoners to question, ...) It may make sense to stick with gel, but just not lots of it.

Well, gel also gets resisted by impact armor, which is two less than ballistic for just about all the armors in the base book. So it ends up about as a wash, but a bit more expensive, which is probably what they were going for. (Except for vehicles and barriers, but that makes sense).

Arsenal has a lot of options. concealment options. Extra recoil compensation options (A sling and a forearm grip, if the GM will allow that with the underbarrel grenade launcher.) larger ammo clips. Obviously, it would be inappropriate to post the full list. (The limit is that mods take a slot, and guns can have 6 slots worth of mods without special permission and special gear. And overmodding is suppose to cause some drawback as well.) Even weird hyper-velocity options for extra bullets on FA.

An extra bit of recoil comp seems like it could always be useful, e.g.: the sling, and maybe the forearm grip if'n I keep the SMG (though I guess there's not that much use for a 'stealthy, but not too stealthy' sort of weapon), and custom grips for the pistols.

Which reminds me, the grenade launcher uses heavy weapons skill, so it may not be worth buying the grenades up front.

Yeah, that's why I went with the smoke to start. Since you don't have an opposed roll for attacking an area, and the airburst improves accuracy a lot, it seemed like a decent way to get a few net dice advantage against people in the smoke, with the ultrasound, or at least break up an attack for a round or two until the targets get out of it. But looking at the modifiers, low-light vision does just as well in thermal smoke as ultrasound, and it seems like just about everybody and their proverbial cousin seems to have low-light vision from either cybereyes or a metahuman trait. So unless there's some rule about low-light vision being less than ideal in normal lighting conditions that would keep people from neutralizing the smoke advantage entirely, that's another thing to rethink.
Dumori
Would love to play using the weapons sepcilst form the BBB made in to an adept but it looks like your already full.

How much of a yakk are you looking for a hireling or a member of the gang just so i can fill out the blanks looks like if i drop lucky and being an elf use the BP to bring my stats up a bit then plow soem bp in 5-10k more yen i could have a nice yakk gunner. or hirelin wise ill just drop lucky and guts and be a magic 2 adept and make a few small changes for fulff.
Dumori
Done all the math and made Streetline a Mystic adept with no casting ability at this time view as some thing like latent awakening Streetline thinks hes just an Adept but when he gets a high magic He'll discover his spell casting power.

Here's his gear and and stats in .xls files in a .zip

http://www.2shared.com/file/3616730/fa30f5...e_and_gear.html

I'm think of dropping a few skill points in to palming.. On a side note will I be starting as a fresh 400BP or will I get average karma and nuyen so I'm not lagging to far behind. Again I may add to magic but I like Streetline. One change to the gear sheet is getting rid of the leather jackets and adding a streetline with silencer concealable holster and 5 clips.

Edit:
Here the same stuff updated with the changes I think I should make http://www.2shared.com/file/3616798/e04953..._and_gear2.html
imperialus
@ Intro: It came down to a real close run between you and Ellipsis but you're in. I'll PM you with the relevant stuff you need to know, probably tomorrow evening. This week coming up is going to be a bit hectic for me so my posting might be a bit sporadic. I've got a bunch of guys trying to fix water damage in my ceiling... As an added bonus they're tearing drywall out over top of my bed. frown.gif

@Ellipsis and Dumori. Thanks for the interest but unfortunately I only have room for one more player right now. I'll be sure to keep you guys in mind if other spots open up though.
Dumori
Well thanks for your time I enjoyed the three hours i spent reading the IC post and the 4+ I spent making streetline I'll possibly stick him in my games when I start GMing next week. I would read the OoC post but its a bit epic. Good luck with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012