Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Folklorist Hoping to Interview Gamers at GenCon 2008
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
raccoondog
Hello! I am a folklorist based at a public university in central Louisiana. I will be attending GenCon this year Wednesday through Saturday, and while there would like to interview gamers about their interests and experiences with gaming. Interviews would last approximately 20-25 minutes and would be on a strictly voluntary basis (i.e., there is no monetary stipend as compensation for assisting with this fieldwork). While I am especially interested in meeting with gamers from Louisiana and East Texas, I would also be happy to interview gamers from elsewhere. I am a longtime gamer myself (Shadowrun and D&D) and will be in costume during some of the Con as I hope to participate in one of the Shadowrun LARP sessions, so please do not be put off if I am looking less than "professional" when we meet!

Interviews will be audio recorded, and participants must sign a waiver before taping can begin as per proper fieldwork ethics. The data obtained from these interviews will potentially be employed as part of an academic article, presentation (class or professional conference), or monograph written by the interviewer. In order to protect their privacy, the names of interviewees will be changed for purposes of publication. All interested can post here with questions or send me a personal message. I am a bit uncertain as to the geography of GenCon as of yet (this will be my first Con), but will be happy to give you my cell number (getting a new number most likely Aug. 5th or 6th) and we can play it by ear at the Con or we can set up a place and time to meet at the Con via personal messages and have everything arranged before the Con begins. I will also certainly be at Adamu's Shadowrun the Cardgame Celebration.

Thanks!
Caine Hazen
As an anthro guy who did quite a few folklore classes, I'm game for it. Shoot me a PM if you want to get some info so we can meet. I'm sure I can convince at lest 3 or4 others to contribute as well wink.gif
Dashifen
I'd love to help out. Drop me a PM and we'll coordinate. I'm running games for CGL, though, so we'll have to find a time that works for both of us. Shouldn't be too hard to do.
Aaron
I'd be happy to help. I'll be in the CGL booth on Friday from 14:00 to 18:00 for demos, but I'd be happy to show up early and meet you there.
raccoondog
Excellent. Thanks so much for these generous responses. I'll PM each of you by the end of the week with my new cell number and we can play it by ear at the Con. Thanks again!
Bull
There will be a few of us at the Meet & Greet, so we could probaby hook up during that and doa group chat session as well if needed. smile.gif
raccoondog
Fantastic. One more reason to look forward to Adamu's event. (And yes, I'm also bringing my cards!)
Bull
Awesome, this should be quite the little gathering smile.gif
apollo124
I wouldn't mind helping with your research either. I'll be there Saturday, just not available from noon to 3 pm, which oddly corresponds with the SR and Battletech meetings. smile.gif But PM me and we can set up a meet.
Jack Robustus
Racoondog! I don't know if I am a suitable subject, since you already know a great deal about my personal and gaming history, but yeah I'll do an interview. Actually, maybe all of that will be to your advantage.

Don't forget, the loser Thursday night sleeps on the floor. HA!
raccoondog
Jack, You were already on the list, I just hadn't informed you yet! And yes, I'll see about contacting the hotel for some extra pillows so that you'll be more comfortable on the floor.

I've sent PMs to everyone on this forum who's voiced an interest in being interviewed. However, I'd be happy to contact any other volunteers should more folks want to meet. Thanks to everyone so far!
Dashifen
QUOTE (raccoondog @ Aug 9 2008, 12:38 PM) *
... And yes, I'll see about contacting the hotel for some extra pillows so that you'll be more comfortable on the floor.

Point for his side... biggrin.gif
raccoondog
My heartiest thanks to all of the gamers who I was able to interview at the Con. Your assistance was more appreciated than you can know, and I loved meeting people so dedicated to the gaming community. For those I wasn't able to meet up with due to confusion or time issues (I'm home today and wish I could have stayed like Adamu until Monday morning!) perhaps we can talk at GenCon 2010 or whenever it is that I can afford to make it there next. Again, my sincere and heartiest thanks to all who helped with this project. - Raccoondog
Caine Hazen
Sorry I missed out on actually sitting and talking with you "officially", but I enjoyed the gaming time! As a side-note... there's way more time to talk with folks at Origins, but not as many of us there (right now)
raccoondog
Caine, I was also bummed a bit that we didn't actually get a conversation on tape, and unfortunately I can't make Origins due to job constraints. Hopefully at a future Gen Con we can chat officially, and play another round of cards. - R
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012