Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tacticon 2008
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
bofh
I signed up to run a Shadowrun session at the con from 2pm today (8/29) to 6pm. I haven't run a con game since the mid 80's when I ran an AD&D game at a con I was organizing.

We needed to assemble in the Evergreen Room (near the lobby) starting at 1:45. I got there at 1:40 or so so I was on time, barely smile.gif Tim Brannigan (RPG organizer) came in and started collecting the groups. I actually had 6 folks signed up; Ted, Jason, Morgan, Jacob, Brian, and Marc (hey, I remembered names; a first). Morgan and Brian were the veterans and were able to help out with some of the dice pool stuff.

I got my gear set up, laptop plugged in, wiki up along with the new JavaScript cheat sheets (which were ok), passed out pencils, dice, characters and generally got things ready. There was a comment on how prepared I was and I said that I would rather be over prepared than under whereupon the group gave me a round of applause biggrin.gif

I had created a two page quick start rules based on the quick start rules available from the Catalyst web site and went over it for the new players.

Once that was done, I got started with the run. The group handed me their tickets (which I didn't think about because no one actually said anything smile.gif ).

In general it went pretty well. I had to skim over a couple of spots because folks needed to be able to hit their next game at 6pm and we had to be out at the same time so it wasn't quite as detailed as the actual mission called for but we were able to complete it.

Tim dropped in two or three times to make sure it was going well. He also dropped off a GM score card which I also didn't expect. About an hour in, security dropped in and asked me to identify myself. Puzzled I showed my ID and he handed me my Visa card that I'd left at the registration desk I was in a hurry but really, that's the first time I've forgotten it.

Jason bailed a few minutes before six because he was playing Gauntlet (I found out later) and we finished about 20 minutes later. The group thanked me for a really fun game and for teaching them the game and shook my hand.

The score card had points for prepardness, keeping the gaming focused, knowledge, how fun it was, and a couple of others. I was happy to see I got 10 points from everyone. After not running a con game for quite a long time, it was very satisfying that my session was worth the price of admission smile.gif

I dropped my gear off in the car, filled out the GM scorecard and dropped it off and then headed over to the exhibitors. I wanted to pick up some more dice smile.gif say hi to Karl (FLGS owner), and see what was available. I picked up a used copy of Enter The Zombie and the newest Shadowrun book (Runner's Companion) which I already had on PDF.

Brian spotted me and stopped to thank me again for the game. I got a big thanks from Jason and Ted (I think they were father and son) in the hall. I passed out my web site (http://www.shadowrun.us) and the meetup site (http://shadowrun.meetup.com/79) because they were interested in further playing in my games.

All in all, a fun experience all the way around.

Carl
the_dunner
Sounds like a great time! Thanks for the update. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012