Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Phoenix Rising
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Oenone
QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 10 2008, 10:00 PM) *
What's the worst that could happen? It's not like we're headed back to a dock less than 200 meters from the third largest permanent UCAS military presence on the west coast.

Well for a start someone could do the math and work out the money would go a lot further if people started having accidents! wink.gif
DWC
That's one of the beauties of a large group. Killing one or two people probably doesn't increase everyone's split enough to be worth the aggravation of betraying them, and concealing the betrayal. Now, if five or six were in on it, and decided to get rid of the other half of the group, it would be another story entirely. That'd actually be cost effective.

The only hard part of the plan would be killing Jake (which Tom or Gecko can probably do pretty effortlessly) since he's probably not going to go quietly in betraying Charlie and DD. After that, it's a matter of dumping DD and Truth in the sound while they're immersed in VR, followed by the pair of projecting mages, and everyone else splits an extra 200 grand.
Oenone
Don't forget Truth being able to kill Noowan, Winston and Etoile with his drone. (Edit- Which would be more cost effective than killing Truth himself... hell do both. Convince him to murder them and then throw him overboard and tell any survivors it was all his work!)

Nothing like a lot of LMG fire to make sitting in a car feel like a bad idea when the inability to dodge comes into play.
DWC
Everyone loves the secondary conspiracy. Kill Jake, DD, Charlie, and Tick-Tock, then have Truth mow down the wetwork group while they're in the car, Then pull the WWF swerve and kill Truth after he's done his part. Split 320k among Ralph, Tom, and Gecko.

That's not bad at all.
Little Johnson
Tom will take his share from far away...about a 1k meters nyahnyah.gif
Oenone
Enough to relocate to another city if rumours of your expoits get out with plenty of nuyen to spend on toys.
DWC
That is the problem. After you and two others conspire to murder 8 other people for a little over 300 grand, you really don't want to trust either of your conspirators to ever be in the same state as you ever again.
Coldhand Jake
Wow, that would really, really offend Jake. Like, flechette shotgun enema, offended.
DWC
that would be why he'd get killed first. smile.gif

Oenone
And it's also why every hacker who operates in VR should have some kind of combat drone protecting them whenever physically possible!

Oh as an aside I'm running my offline monthly Shadowrun game on Saturday, so I might not be able to post much.

Etoile will basically stay in 'avoid being seen or killed' mode unless something she can actually hurt comes into the fight. Then she'll attack when appropriate or hide if stealth seems viable...
Coldhand Jake
Just remember Jake's warning at the beginning after negotiating with the fixer. "Being greedy gets you dead in this business."
Little Johnson
To be honest Tom doesnt like to kill people he has to kill. Hes not going to go looking for extra people unless they seriously need killed.
bmcoomes
OK, we are up and running again.

As far as the question earlier about concealment, it does deal with the perception skill so any test with it vs. the concealed subject would get the bonus. That's all I as saying.

Now back to killing things.

Brent
bmcoomes
DD your up, and then it's Noowan.

Brent
DWC
Wasn’t DD spending her first pass looking for the sprinkler system controls when the moment of dramatic time dilation allowed the conversation to take its’ weird tangent?
bmcoomes
I think your right, and that is a complex action. So it's Noowan's turn.

Brent
Coldhand Jake
Back, and depressed, but eh, life sucks. Anyway, once this run's cashed in, I invite you guys right over to Snowfall, my first story on here...alot slower and more RP oriented, but hopefully, if nothing else, those who like having downtime will enjoy hanging out at the Divine Comedy.
Fuchs
(DD skimmed the paydata when she found it, to make sure it was what the team needed, but that's about it. She passed it to Jake, who might've taken a look.)
bmcoomes
OK, I'm going to post the data here then.

1. Miniature Tokamak thermonuclear fusion reactor (Infinite Range and Duration)
2. Integration of Agent software to run background tasks and tactical information
3. Production nanospecs for all components and assembly
4. Current performance projection of the production model
Little Johnson
my god...we have made some copies just in case...

anyone for a private shadow run? we invest some of our pay and do a BnE on a unrestricted nano forge and run off a cple of these babies.. we could sell or use them ourselves.
crizh
If we have nano-specs for manufacturing a miniature Tokamak we are very rich or very dead.

I recommend that we upload that data onto Shadowland before the meet.

We have a whole bunch of cracked software, DD could encrypt the data and embed it in the sourcecode of a few of those programs before uploading them to a couple of Warez groups.

If she could give me a copy of the encrypted data I can hide a few copies on the way to the meet.
DWC
Publishing the information seems like a massive risk for basically no reward. When the Johnson finds out that the data got out, he’ll take all of two seconds to figure out who leaked it, then we’ll never get another extremely well paying and easy job from him.
Little Johnson
I agree .. no way we are walking away clean with this info. There has to be a hitch. like it doesnt work and we are covering this guys ass by deleting the data and killing the only person that knows er.. knew it doesnt work.
crizh
QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 14 2008, 08:36 PM) *
Publishing the information seems like a massive risk for basically no reward. When the Johnson finds out that the data got out, he’ll take all of two seconds to figure out who leaked it, then we’ll never get another extremely well paying and easy job from him.

Yeah, publishing isn't in our best interests.

Getting caught with no insurance, however, is definitely going to get us killed.
Little Johnson
If this is ligit data then the pay we got was well within reason.

wow nano specs...i cant even begin to estemate the street value of this data.
crizh
A tag-eraser just destroys them we need some blank ones. I think Truth has a few...
DWC
Doesn't everyone carry handfuls of blank RFID tags? Hell, the cupholders in his car are probably full of the damn things. That, and mesh tags.
crizh
I considered getting Mesh tags but couldn't be bothered in the end.

We all have tag-erasers though....
DWC
QUOTE (crizh @ Oct 14 2008, 05:09 PM) *
I considered getting Mesh tags but couldn't be bothered in the end.

We all have tag-erasers though....

Of course. It's the comfortable solution to avoiding having the RFID tag in your underwear give you away when you're trying to sneak around.
Oenone
We could sell a copy of the data via that Orbital Data-Haven, okay so we'd only get a fraction of the value, but that's still likely to make our payment for the job look like pocket change.

Considering the data in question Mr Johnson is probably going to have us killed for this run. Because honestly the sheer value of the things we've stolen and could have kept copies of is scary.

Incidentally doesn't a tag eraser just destroy the tags? Rather than just wipe the info from them. I remember something in the description about it burning them out.

@Brent - What sort of equipment does the club we're visiting allow inside? I assume a submachine gun is a little on the big side, but would pistols make it past the door staff? If not then Etoile is reduced to hand razors if Mr J turns hostile, which could be interesting against a drake.
bmcoomes
Dante's Inferno doesn't let anything they can catch in the club.

Brent
Fuchs
Since it is getting late here: DD will follow Jake's lead with regards to what course of action to take.
Shalimar
All we have to do is say that we have the plans as a failsafe. If he kills us the plans go onto the Matrix and everyone will be able to get in on the act without R&D expenses (including the people we just stole the plans from) at that point its worthless to him since now he doesn't get the advantage he wanted, but is also worse off.

The best way to do it would be to put a picture of the Johnson (taken at the first meet) with the data and a description of the job on the matrix. If we die he is linked to the murder and the data steal so he is much worse off. If after the meet we aren't dead, we stop it from being sent out.
Fuchs
Unless of course that's what he wants.
bmcoomes
I think you guys are over thinking all of it. Because really if he wanted you guys dead it would already have happened. It just how he likes to do business face to face. He old fashion that way. Plus if for some reason word or the data got out it would be a really short list on the people responsable, and there goes your shadowrun career.

Brent
Shalimar
I guess runners just aren't used to dealing with people who actually keep their words or who aren't trying to screw them. Charlie has no experience with that, plus she is a thrill seeker so she sees no problem of jumping right in.
DWC
I blame the treason for turning up the paranoia. Pissing off companies is normal. Pissing off a government is a special feather in a runner's cap.
bmcoomes
I'm going to finish up the dante's infurno sence. I'll post the group/gernal karma earns here and I'll PM you with the bounce earns.
Shalimar
Assuming the agreed on 440,000 pay out minus the group expenses (5k for Riptide/ Ochir for finding him) it works out to:
39,454 nuyen.gif each
bmcoomes
Yup, looks about right to me.
Fuchs
We're rich!
crizh
Hey, I've just been reminded of the backstory of Hardwired.

We could negotiate to control the black-market in these products.

Fact is there will eventually be black-market copies of these products. We already have the specs, he has the equipment.

If he trusts us and our fixer maybe we could start manufacturing black market versions of the Tokamak with a Nano-forge that falls of a lorry in about six months or so.

He takes a cut and makes a profit of both ends of the market...
crizh
QUOTE (Fuchs @ Oct 15 2008, 08:09 PM) *
We're rich!

Nah, just back to merely broke....
DWC
We just have to get our hands on feedstock that isn't full of stealth tags, which is the hard part of any desktop manufacturing.
Zaranthan
QUOTE (crizh @ Oct 15 2008, 02:35 PM) *
Nah, just back to merely broke....
Speak for yourself! I'm *this close* to being able to afford a permanent lifestyle. Of course, that's not nearly as exciting as a rating 4 Manipulation Sustaining Focus, but who's counting? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 15 2008, 03:05 PM) *
We just have to get our hands on feedstock that isn't full of stealth tags, which is the hard part of any desktop manufacturing.

Is feedstock harmed by a HERF gun?
crizh
QUOTE (DWC @ Oct 15 2008, 09:05 PM) *

Probably the best way for Mr J to get his cut and make sure we aren't flooding the market with product...
Fuchs
Ok, provided we get the nuyen without troubles, DD will want to get some upgrades for her commlink - the three ICs that almost got her were scary enough - and programs. Money-wise, it shouldn't be a problem, though the availability means it'll take some time getting the stuff, and since her main commlink is an implant she'll need some surgery too.

So, how long of a downtime are we looking at? And is it a problem if DD spends such downtime in Jake's club in L.A. in the Swowcrash thread?

Planned upgrades:

Commlink:
Response 6 (Avail 16, 8000 Nuyen)
Customised Interface (Avail 6, 250 Nuyen)
Optimisation (Exploit) (Avail 6, 500 Nuyen)
Hardening 6 (Avail 4, 150 Nuyen)

Programs:
All programs from SR4, (without Black Hammer), and Corrupt and Purge from Unwired (p. 111)) on 6 (pirated): 9960 Nuyen (16 hacking programs at 300 each, 6 common use programs at 60 each, Firewall/System 300 each)
Empathy sensor software Rating 6 (pirated) (Arsenal p. 120): 300 Nuyen

Monthly patching costs: 1605 Nuyen (1500 per month, 210 every two months).

Tools:
Satlink (Avail 4, 500 Nuyen)

Which leaves roughly 20K for other stuff, like an upgraded agent (once I work those out).
Shalimar
Charlie's list will take a bit of doing due to the somewhat insane avilibility, but she isn't in any rush given that she has 20 days before she moves, and she can make rent a whole months rent at her new place in 3 days of putting up wards.

Glasses (Availibility 22 - 1,900) [Low Light, Flare Compensation, Image Link, Thermographic, Smart link, Vision Enhancement 3, Vision Magnification, Camera]

Earbuds (Availibilty 16 - 1,010) [Audio Enhancement 3, Selective Sound Filter 3, Spatial Recognized]

The only other thing she wants to pick up is entirely legal and she'd pick it up off the shelf:
Agent 3 (Legal - 5,050) with a linked virtual pet and a linked Pocket Mage Library Rating 3

She'd spend 8k, Save 7k, and throw the last 25,000 into Karma for Cash
Coldhand Jake
Jake went in for a new Renraku nexus for the house, and ordered a simsense accelerator and sleep regulator to be installed. The rest went to a trip to a nice store to buy clothes, and ended up with him getting in a three-way with Mei and the service girl from the store. I love my players so much!
DWC
Here’s the beginning of Truth’s shopping list. The rest will hinge on whether DV and, by extension, Winston, will be sticking around.

Shopping List
Parts, 4 Response-6 Upgrades Avail: 16, 16000
Parts, 2 Improved Sensor Arrays Avail: 6, 2000
Parts, 2 Improved Range Finders Avail: 6, 2000
Parts, Optimize Commlink (Sniffer) Avail 6, 500
Parts, Optimize Commlink (Decrypt) Avail 6, 500
Reality Amplifier (Focus) Avail 14, 500

Novatech Airwaves Avail: -, 1250, bought at Best Buy with a fake SIN.

Software (pirated)
Adaptability-3 150
Covert Ops-4 200
Chaser-4 200
Trailblazer-4 200
Maneuver (Walker) -4 200
Attack-6 600
Blackhammer-6 600
Track-6 600
Decrypt-6 600
Sniffer-6 600
Browse-6 (Optimization-3) 90
Unrestricted Agent-6 1800
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012