Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Squire
Just curious if anyone's tried it, and what it's like?
kevyn668
It got good reviews from various gaming mags. I heard the second was better than the first.
mfb
what is it about RPGs and new editions? it's like if your game doesn't say "2nd ed" on it, you lack credibility.
kevyn668
Oops. Sorry folks I thought this was about the video game. I haven't heard much about the RPG. There's someone on the DS that has/does play. That person confirmed some my fears by explaining his (her?) was Vamp w/ a soul that did.... something or other.

The point is, I fear that character options are limited:
1) We'll assume you can't be The Slayer, so that's out
2) How many Vamps are there running around w/ souls? My guess would be lots in this game. Kinda sucks the fun out of being "unique", neh?
3) Witch? meh, been there, ran that.
4) Unagumented human? I like Xander on the show but he sure does get his ass kicked a helluva lot...and see below
5) A Watcher? role(or roll-) playing research doesn't sound like that much fun.
6) I suppose you play a "good" demon. There seem to be a fair amount of those.
7) All these assumptions are based on the idea that you're a "good guy"

But again, I'm uniformed and like the show too much to try the game and get all pissy about it. For Vamp/monster/horror (note: no capitalization wink.gif ) RPGs, White Wolf seems to have done a good job.

If anyone has played and could confirm/refute my assumtions, I'd appreciated it. smile.gif

Oh, @mfb: It does seem that way, doesn't it?
Meow
Actually, our group has played a couple of times, and I'm the "slayer in waiting" or something along those lines (GM babysits the char sheets). Its an okay game, with an emphasis on cinematics. Its not my favorite of the games we play, but it doesn't suck.
Squire
So, can you play the slayer?

Does it take place in Sunnydale?

Are there any connections to the characters/events in the show, or does it just take the Buffy universe and go with a totally new locations?

What kind of mechanics? Class based? Skills based? Dice pools, D20?

Was Joss Whedon involved in the game development?

I appreciate the replies. I'm a huge fan of the show, but I'm lacking confidence on them getting the RPG right.
Meow
As I said, the character template in the book is slayer in training. I imagine that depending on the GM, you might be able to play the slayer herself.

The prewritten games apparently do take place in Sunnydale, and that's where our game is set.

In our game, Buffy is the guidance counselor, we've seen Spike (my char has a crush on him), and we've caught sight of Willow once. Haven't met the others, and my char has her own watcher, although, I suppose there's a chance the other TV chars will appear. The books certainly have stats on them all.

I'll have to get back to you on the mechanics, as I don't own the books, but its not too complicated. If memory serves, I think its more like the 7th Sea system than anything else...

I'll also have to ask if Joss Whedon was involved.

In all, I enjoy the game, although I have to admit that playing a socially awkward 15 year old is tough, since I haven't been one in some time. Ours is a pretty fast paced game, and we wind up (usually accidentally) with the sort of humor that made the show so much fun. One guy got bitten by a vamp, bit it back, and had serious issues with the mouthful of dust he got. He steadfastly refuses to accept what he's been told about the truth, and he showed up at my (slayer in waiting) house with all the funny stereotypical weapons. And a chainsaw. Which did not impress Misti's dad... I think the reason I'm tired of it is because we played pretty heavily for a while, and our group has a tendency to not play the same thing more than twice a month (we game every weekend).
evil_slammor
Squire in order to answer your question i'd actually have to have tryed the game but I haven't so i'll do the next best thing and point you to a number of reviews on rpg.net and let you read till your eyes can take no more. Heres the links to reviews of the main game and should just about answer about every question you have 1, 2 and 3. I hope these will answer any of your questions.
Rajaat99
Yes you can play the slayer.
Yes it can take place in Sunnydale or no.
Involve Buffy characters/ setting? Whatever the Gm wants.
Skill Based, very easy system. It's hard to explain, but it's very simple. Not D20.
I think Joss Whedon was involved in the development. I think the main book has a little intro he wrote.
If you're a huge fan of the show you'd have fun playing.
I'm a Buffy dork and I played a few times with my wife and a friend of mine.
I played a robot. My wife played a watcher and there was an NPC Slayer. The setting was Pittsburgh after the final show. It was fun, but it's difficult to find big enough Buffy dorks to play with.
mfb
[ Spoiler ]
Buzzed
Personally, I think the show sucked, even more so then that horrible movie. And now a RPG!?! Let the crap die! It's over, let Buffy rest in peace!
Adam
The RPG has been out for over a year, Buzzed.
kevyn668
Buzzed Posted on Dec 30 2003, 04:28 AM
  Personally, I think the show sucked, even more so then that horrible movie. And now a RPG!?! Let the crap die! It's over, let Buffy rest in peace! 

INFIDEL!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012