Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard Rain
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Okay, folks, I got an idea for a game I think would be fun. The idea is a group of characters have just finished a run...they think they were successfull, but little do they know that it's all about to hit the fan. Somebody is out to get them. but who? Where can they hide? Can they take down this bad boy?

The ONLY character generation system available will be Sum to 10. To balance out the sudden extra coolness and power of human characters, their extra karma will increase every 16th point instead of every 11th. Still faster than metahumans, but not obscenely so.

The ONLY book available at character generation will be the Shadowrun Third Edition book. Others will have their resources available after play starts...for instance, in the unlikely event someone gets enough karma to initiate...not impossible, but I won't count on it.

Starting equipment must have availability 6 or less, with the exception of Cyberwear, which may have an availability of 8 or less. This is partly for showing stuff that will have to be left behind, was used up, sacrificed, etc. It's also to keep things a little more managable for me and a little more challenging for you guys.

I would like there to be 4 or 5 players in the team and the characters should all know each other. Feel free to share character info with each other.

I would like 1 character to be a full mage. There can be 1 other magical character of any type, for a total of 2. The rest should be mundanes.

Now the good stuff. Everyone will have earned 21 karma (I take away, but I give in return). That means you have 20 to spend after you've made your character and you have a starting karma pool of 2. If you guys want to start a team karma pool, that would be appropriate and cool with me. Just let me know before we start it all up.

Also, I will allow this one exception to the Shadowrun Third Edition Only rule: Everyone gets 2 points of edges for free! That's right, folks, absolutely free! Merry Christmas, Happy Hunnakah (SP?), Happy Quanza, or fill in the seasonal holiday of your choice.

Just so you know, I work overnight shifts on Teusdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. On those days I'll do only one or two posts, but feel free do post roleplaying stuff when I am absent.

Characters can be emailed to me at dr_pure_evil@yahoo.com. If you have Yahoo Messenger, I am always invisible, but I go as last_of_the_great_mikeys (of course). I'll pick the best 5 (or four if I only get four). Feel free to send in both a magical and a mundane so that if ya still wanna play after I pick the magician(s) I have more to choose from.

Questions?
Large Mike

Hey, Mikey. You'll see my face soon.
Fresno Bob
I kind of want to play, too...
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Cool, guys. I forgot to mention, though...when ya Email me, be sure to mention the title "Hard Rain" 'cause I delete any mail I don't recognize automatically.
Large Mike

Do you take NSRCG files?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Yup. I got the NSRCG myself. Very handy. I can even accept zipped files now! Woohoo!
Large Mike

That no other books thing: Can I use totems from MitS?
Tanka
So if by "2 free edge points" you actually mean that, then you also allow Companion? (Sorry, I like nitpicking.) biggrin.gif
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Large Mike: No, you cannot use totems from MitS.

Tanka: No, you cannot use the companion, other than for those two edge points. I did specify that it was an exception.

For anyone wondering, I'm keeping it to the main book for simplicity and control. It's the 1 book I know everyone will have. If anyone does not have the Shadowrun Companion and is wondering about those 2 edge points...just take 2 extra skill points or 1 extra attribute point (which may go above the starting maximum for the attribute point) when you make your character.

If I seem like a control freak...well, I do not apologize cyber.gif
Tanka
OK, and other than that no Edges/Flaws. Got it.

*think think*
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Tanka, if you actually have the Shadowrun companion, you cane take any edge(s) that cost a total of 2 points or less. smile.gif
Tanka
Right, I got that.
3Threes
deadline = ??
kevyn668
Count me in! (or on the waitlist, anyway wink.gif )

A few more ?s:
1) are the two free points of edges all we get? can we use more as long as we balance or convert points. ie. 1 BP (edge or flaw)=1 skill point=.5 attribute point and vice versa? (not trying to be greedy just curious. Thank you, BTW smile.gif ) If we can use more E/Fs. What ones are restricted? The Enemy/Hunted, I'm thinking?

2) re: no other books. this may seem redundent, but can we use the guns from the CC? Not the creation rules, just the straight guns (pred3, savalette, etc...)

3) are you doing all the rolling or are we? If we are can you or someone direct me to a computer generated dice roller? I have access all day and my boss is cool but I think the he might have a few questions for me if start rolling dice at my desk... wink.gif )

4) Setting? (Seatle, I'm assuming b/c of the no other books)

Other than that, I have two characters under construction and should be able to get something to you by Monday, at the latest.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Kevyn: The two edge points are all you get. No flaws allowed.

Only gear from the main book However, I may bring stuff from it in after the game's started. Take it off your foes and it's yours.

I'll trust you guys to roll and post the results. Part of the fun of the game is shakin' them dice!

Setting's Seattle, at least to start.
Large Mike

For reference, these creation rules suck. I'm still gonna play, cause I know it'll be good, but jumping through these hoops is a bit of a pain in the ass.

: D
Digital Heroin
If you're cool with me holding out on presenting a character to you for four days, I'll be re-untited with my books then (something that's most definitly a massive happy thing, since I've been relying on "backup" e-copies for half a year now)... should be able to build the character easily... less books to use means less debating over which gear to buy...
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Large Mike)
For reference, these creation rules suck. I'm still gonna play, cause I know it'll be good, but jumping through these hoops is a bit of a pain in the ass.

biggrin.gif

I hadda fix yer smiley, dude!

Ya don't gotta like the creation rules...ya just gotta follow 'em. Consider it going back to the fundamentals of Shadowrun. cyber.gif
Large Mike

No, the smily was that way on purpose. You wrecked it. : (

( : D)
kevyn668
any thought on the dice roller? I can post from home but I spend most of my time on DS while at work...yeah, yeah, I know. I have an American work ethic, what can I say?
Fortune
You could use the dice-roller that is bundled with mcmackie's NSRCG program.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Well, I'm still waiting for character submissions. I'm hoping it's the holiday season delaying you all and not my restrictive character generation rules.
Fortune
To be honest, it's the latter that put me off submitting someone. I like the concept though. smile.gif
Glyph
It's more the holiday season for me - within the next few days, I might be able to make a few changes in Dub D (he was in Knowledge, which didn't really get off the ground) and send him in again. If you want a lower-powered game, let me know, and I will change his skill and resources priorities around.
Cheese Emperor
Character sent.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (Cheese Emperor)
Character sent.

Got the character, dude. Mostly okay, except for this:

"Weapon Focus [3], Reach 0. A pair of spike-studded gauntlets.(9 Karma to Bond)(Avail 8, but I was hoping an exception can be made, since it's kind of like the equivelant of cyberware which you let have avail 8.)"

Afraid I can't let that slide. So, that's 370 000 nuyen ya get to spend elsewhere. Sorry, dude.

If ya like, I have no problem with ya having a pair of spiked "brass knuckles." They'd do damage as a sap and cost a mere 500 nuyen for the pair. Just not as a weapon focus.
Cheese Emperor
Had to try...Anyways, I'll toss around a few variations to figure out which one I like best. Revised version should be coming your way some time today.
Tanka
*looks at Cheese*

Adept? Curses.

Time to rethink.

*Glare of Doom™ at Cheese, shakes fist*
Cheese Emperor
Oh come on Tanka, you could still try for the slot. It's not guaranteed I'm in, after all.
Cheese Emperor
Not to waste a post, resent in a hopefull more acceptable form.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Cheezy:

Spiked Gauntlets x4(I'm assuming I'd get the +2 power for the unarmed attacks but retain the killing hands S damage code, right?)

I'll allow that.

Now, what did you do with the extra points? It looks like you bought knowledge skills, but you boosted your reaction without changing your attributes? Typos? Don't wanna cheat ya of legitimate points here.

One more question...what did you spend your 20 karma on? It looks like you bought an extra power point.

Tanka:

Go ahead and make an adept...everyone that makes a magic character should make a mundane one too because only 2 magic types will be accepted, and one of those has to be a full mage.
3Threes
my two are in - lemme know if i forgot anything or if i need to make changes
last_of_the_great_mikeys
3Threes, they ain't arrived. Did ya get the right addy? dr_pure_evil@yahoo.com
Cheese Emperor
Ugh, I like to do the number crunching and the like in NSRCG and transfer it to a clean sheet in .rtf format. Sometimes when I go back and rework stuff, things get left out, unchanged, changed and then need to be changed again, etc. etc. I sent it prematurely. I'll go back, recreate him and figure out what I left out etc. Should have hopefully a final version done tonight.
3Threes
i cut and pasted your email address and didnt get a undeliverable message - lemme try sending them again
Cheese Emperor
Up, UP, and AWAY!
Tanka
So I have to think of two character concepts? Damn.

All right, give me another two or three days and I'm sure I'll have something.
toturi
Is the equipment list limited to only SR3? Things like Backpacks (SOTA:2063), Desert goggles (T:WL)?
last_of_the_great_mikeys
QUOTE (toturi)
Is the equipment list limited to only SR3? Things like Backpacks (SOTA:2063), Desert goggles (T:WL)?

Yes, equipment is limited to SR3...I assume you have reasonable backpacks, webgear, duffelbags, etc for carrying stuff, as apropriate to the character.
3Threes
sent them again - let me know if you dont get them within a couple hours and i will try sending a diff way
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Okay, Cheezy. Got it...looks okay. You might wanna make a mundane backup char in case I choose a different magic guy though.
Cheese Emperor
I tried to come up with a mundane concept several times, couldn't find one I liked.
last_of_the_great_mikeys
3Threes, it ain't showed up.
3Threes
k - i will just send them to you through the message board
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Allright, 3 people have given me character submissions...need at least 1 more, preferably 2 more. smile.gif
Tanka
Working on it!

Not like you didn't know this...
Maxxi
I have an esoteric mage I've always wanted to play, and since I've only been a game master once for a Shadowrun game (it was the only time playing it as well), I'm anxious for another chance. I'll Email you in an hour or so.
Tanka
<cheesey Star Wars quote>It's away!</cheesey Star Wars quote>
last_of_the_great_mikeys
Allright, NOW I have 3 players that have submitted characters, one of which sent in only an awakened dude. Remember kiddies, I will be letting in only 2 awakened dudes, one of which MUST be a full mage...and I ain't sayin' if I got a full mage yet or not! So if ya sent one in, DON'T TELL ANYONE! I wanna see what I get more of, full mages, adepts or aspected magicians.
Maxxi
My awsome character has been awsomely sent.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012