Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bioware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
cryptoknight
The FAQ for missions states

Cyberware above alpha grade is only available through adventures.

It doesn't mention things like Delta Grade Bioware....

In order ot keep things sensible... I'm assuming that it should?

Just curious.

Ryu
I have nothing to do with missions, but Restricted Gear lets you bypass availability, but not the general limit to standard/alpha-ware.
Wasabi
What Ryu said. Here's what he's mentioning. Its from the BBB, p84:
Players should consider the grade of cyberware or bioware when choosing it. Two grades are available to starting characters: Basic and Alpha.

The Restricted Gear explicitly raises the max avail for a single piece of gear from 12 to 20. It does not remove the restriction that only basic and alpha are avail at chargen.
Deacon
While I can't speak for the current management and writers of Missions, older players (like myself) may still be stuck with the impressions gained from older versions of the game, where beta-grade cyberware was something only elite runners ever could get access to (and was frequently the aim of entire campaigns), and delta-grade cyberware was something you could only get in pipe dreams or by selling out to a triple-A megacorporation (and only certain ones at that).

Now I know that in SR4, delta-grade is just 'the best level' of cyberware, but still, access to something like that would be something you'd have to trade major major favors in for, or seriously work towards in a campaign.

Perhaps later this will be addressed in the campaign. Or I could be completely wrong and the Dunner will come in and say that I'm full of hot air.

Dunno. That's just my 2 nuyen.gif .

EDIT: Oh, and when I say 'cyberware', I mean other forms of mundane augmentation, such as bioware, nanoware and everything like that. Another thing us old-time gamers deal with. smile.gif
Wasabi
In practice since extended tests can be attempted until successful its not a question of IF something can be found its a question of HOW LONG until something is found. If the person seeking the Delta Clinic is willing to spend the lifestyle there is not anything they cannot find per RAW.

If Extended Tests were limited to say, three attempts or so, then only really specialized Face characters could pull it off but per RAW anyone can get anything given enough nuyen on lifestyle (or enough hacker time spoofing lifestyle in whole week spoofing attempts).

A six man runner team using the two best Negotiators each assisted by two of the others can find an awful lot using leftover Edge at the end of a game and paying for lifestyle using the Team Lifestyle rules.
the_dunner
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Sep 14 2008, 12:02 PM) *
In order ot keep things sensible... I'm assuming that it should?

Yes. The line in the FAQ is just a reference to the BBB quote that Wasabi mentioned. I'll try to get that clarified in the next FAQ revision.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Sep 14 2008, 01:44 PM) *
What Ryu said. Here's what he's mentioning. Its from the BBB, p84:
Players should consider the grade of cyberware or bioware when choosing it. Two grades are available to starting characters: Basic and Alpha.

The Restricted Gear explicitly raises the max avail for a single piece of gear from 12 to 20. It does not remove the restriction that only basic and alpha are avail at chargen.

This wasn't about restricted gear... this was about post character creation in an SRM portable to convention game.

As is mentioned below... given enough time and lifestyle... anybody can buy anything.

SRM on the other hand says that PCs can only have up to Alpha if they outright buy it... Beta and better is only found if made available in a mission.

Thanks Dunner! That's what I needed to hear... it confirmed what I thought was the truth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012