Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: License and Registration, ma'am...
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun Missions
Mexican Bandit
Greetings,

This question came up last weekend while we were doing a SR Missions run, so I figured I'd ask here to get an answer:

What is the scope of coverage of a license?

Does it cover only a certain item (Reaction Enhancers, Stealth Program, Ares Predator, Mitsuhama Nightsky)?

Does it cover a category of items (Cyberware, Programs, Weapons, Car)?

Does it cover a person for everything they have (All my cyberware, programs, weapons and cars)?

Any official answers would be appreciated.
Wasabi
Wow, great question. Pg 303 of the BBB doesn't clearly say.
paws2sky
As I recall, the Troll Enforcer has a Fake Firearms License. That's a pretty broad license, basically covering any gun that isn't Forbidden. If you want to use that as your baseline, then I'd suggest allowing similarly broad licenses for other types of equipment.

Off the top of my head, I don't recall seeing any other published license examples.

-paws
cryptoknight
The only thing I have to share is this from each mission in Denver.

To quickly simulate a border crossing,
have all characters make a quick test of
Fake SIN Rating + Charisma + Etiquette.
Threshold on the test is TR/2 (round-up).
On a failure, the PC will need to pay a 300¥
bribe to get across safely. If the PC glitches,
the passage ends up taking longer than
intended, and the character needs to spend
300¥ on a bribe. On a critical glitch, the PC
loses one piece of forbidden or restricted
gear, and must spend 500¥ on a bribe.
If the whole party is attempting to cross
as a group, use a Teamwork test (SR4 p59)
for the border crossing. In the event of a
glitch or critical glitch, all players will suffer
the previously mentioned consequences.

So it looks like for Missions you don't need licenses... Since this is as close as it gets to talking about them.
paws2sky
My assumption has been that Missions operates under the "just don't get caught" theory. As long as you don't get caught, you don't need a license.

-paws
Wasabi
The Gunslinger Adept sample character has a Fake Detective License (Rating 4).
paws2sky
One of my favorite BBB archetypes too. Doh! embarrassed.gif

So, okay, its clear you can have fake licenses for: professions and gear.

What else might you need a license for? Hunting? Fishing?

-paws
Aaron
It might be a week or three before an official ruling can be provided. For now, I'd follow the examples in your hymnal and go with Licenses being about the same scope as a Skill Group.
Wasabi
QUOTE (paws2sky @ Oct 2 2008, 12:34 PM) *

I'm soooo gonna have my next fake SIN have an attached License: Air Marshal, lol.
Fortune
QUOTE (passkey @ Oct 3 2008, 02:34 AM) *

Driving. Owning a pet.

Pretty much anything you need a license for today, plus anything else you feel needs, or would have restrictions in the Sixth World.
Mexican Bandit
So, really, what I'm hearing is that Licenses are for whatever category or subcategory seems to fit.

License (Private Investigator)
License (Driving)
License (Breathing and Living)
License (Fair Play)
License (Kill, MI-6 Style)

OK, some of those aren't serious, but I hope you get the gist of what I'm asking.
Beetle
When it comes to weapons and gear I still use the license breakdown from Shadowtech, minus some of the expanded categories regarding cyber/bioware. I also love the fact that Shadowtech has breakdowns of fines and jail times based upon not having your licenses in order and a list of crimes and punishments. Murder One will get you 30yrs-life in Seattle, but no death penalty. Gives your chummers plenty of time to come up with a plan to bust you out if you don't want to permanently retire your character wink.gif
Wasabi
Just a friendly heads-up that for SRM games only 4th ed books apply and even then only by strict RAW.
(And no optional rules except Dramatic Encryption)
Beetle
QUOTE (Wasabi @ Oct 5 2008, 03:58 PM) *
Just a friendly heads-up that for SRM games only 4th ed books apply and even then only by strict RAW.
(And no optional rules except Dramatic Encryption)

I'm well aware of that fact. All I did was point out where to find the last Cannon listings for various licenses that I was aware of. Comes in handy if people need ideas for types of licenses they may need. If there was more "strict RAW" listing besides "fake license" and a cost this question probably wouldn't pop up so much wink.gif
Snow_Fox
I think it depends on how much paperwork you want to have in your world. For example in RL my drving licence has different classes on it since I've passed tests for motorcycle and car, but my husband can only drive a car, but both of us can operate those vehicals in any state of the union.

or the other hand I have a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania. the type of weapon is not specified. I've heard some states specify the weapon you are carying. Me, I as long as it is a legal weapon and can't be seen, I can carry it. I can only carry in PA but DLN's husband has a non-resident Florida permitt that lets him carry weapons in something like 29 states.
Wasabi
Here is a list of where PA concealed carry permits are honored outside of PA:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/pennsylvania_map.gif

(Sorry for the tangent, folks)
Snow_Fox
lol, I was just using that as an example of differnet licences. and the link is broken but I'd be interested to find out if I can carry outside the state. NJ is infamous for not letting nayone carry there. they make a point of telling you that when they had you the permitt in PA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012