Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ancients Deuces
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
fistandantilus4.0
http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=23945

"It's Time."

"I know that. We haven't much time left."

"Calm yourself. Things are moving. The pieces are in place. Now we finish this."

"You say it as if it's all so simple. This has been tried. It's failed more times than I care to count. Even one of our ..."

"Enough. It is too late to stop now."

"It's not too late, we could still..."

"No, we cannot. I will not. Everything is as it must be. Of course there is going to be risks. You knew that before. But we are commited. The time for squeemishness has passed. Have you heard from her?"

"Yes. Of course. She's never late."

"And?"

"She wants to meet."

"What?! That's pointless! Pointless and dangerous. Why?"

"She said ... her emissary said, that it was important to see 'consolidation and commitment'."

".....Fine. Nautral ground then. See to it that it is arranged. But make it soon. I want this nonsense dealt with."

"Of course. Anything else?"

"Yes. Send someone expendable."
fistandantilus4.0
Seattle - Tarislar - 2032 -April 10, 2071

Welcome to Seattle, The Emerald City! The Center of business and culture unparalleled througho...

The AR Spam sputtered out as the elf smashed the router with an aluminum bat, sending sparks and chunks of plastic flying in all directions. Another half dozen elves around the leathered ganger cheered while others around the street yelled in annoyance or outrage as their AR screens blinked out simultaneously.

The Ancients were out on the streets again, making noise and causing trouble, reveling in the freedom only their brand of anarchy could provide. As elves drank, others watched as one elf smacked the bat wielding Matrix Slayer, starting off a small brawl. It was on this backdrop in the dark and wet streets of Tarislar that those more seasoned Ancients waited, lurking in the shadows around their wilder kin. Those Ancients are of a different breed, not the wild childs of the younger street racing breed, but the killers and survivors that have lived on Seattle's streets for years, making it against all odds. It had been quiet too long, too long without another struggle for survival. The streets had an ebb and flow of violence, as inevitable as the tide. It was time for another wave, time for more blood on the streets. And so while the others jeered in the streets, the Ancients waited, knowing that soon something would come. Change was on the wind.
Lady Door
From her vantage point on the mis-named 14th floor (everyone knew it was really the 13th, why bother with the pretense?) Juno watched the Ancient's play. They were like little dolls, little playthings strewn about by a careless child. She smiled. Something about the analogy pleased her and she made a mental note to mention it to Bedlam later. He appreciated little things like that.

Something in the sky caught her attention as it flew by. It was a man... "dressed" in crimson robes.

Curious.

She turned her body to watch him continue his arc, more then half tempted to join him. But... there was too much to do here. She needed to keep watch. Someone had too. She turned back to the scene below, scanning the figures for the one she wanted. There. He had the horns today. She smiled. She liked it when he did that. She sighed.

Soon... very soon.
Fortune
Despite his mood, Claymore can't keep from cracking a small smile at the antics of the bat-wielding elf. Leaning against the lamp post, he takes a long drag on his cigarette, exhaling the smoke slowly as he flicks the butt into the street.

Restless, and somewhat frustrated with the direction The Ancients seem to be taking of late, the elven gunslinger is already bored with the party. Truth be told, there have been too many parties recently, and not enough real action for his tastes. Sighing deeply, Claymore launches himself from his perch, wading into the crowd in search of something ... anything to break the black mood that lately seems to color his every thought.
DTFarstar
Seattle - Tarislar - Farhaven Garage

Head stuck down inside the engine of a beaten down Bulldog, Haven can still hear the riot outside. The natives are getting restless, it seems. Foolishness, I just know I'll be fixing broken bikes and bones from the evening for days. Tuning the riot out as best he could, Haven gets to work and finishes reattaching all the bolts and gets out to test fire the new altered engine. Listening to it purr and reading the stats as they scroll through his view in a vibrant green, Haven can't help but feel the pull of the streets. Resist, Dar'ian, there will always be a need for violence, but you need not start it and you do not have the luxury of allowing yourself to hide in it's crimson flow anymore.

Shaking his head, Haven- satisfied with his work- gets out of the van, shuts and locks it up and goes to prepare for whoever needs him next, moving the van to the lot behind his place and arming the security. Sighing at the indulgent foolishness of it all, Haven goes to scrub down and have a snack while he waits for the first casualties- mechanical or biological- to roll in.
fistandantilus4.0
As the mini-brawl went on, a lean figure approached Claymore from the side, still well within his peripheral vision. The short and wiry figure of Slide sauntered up to Claymore, taking another drag off of her nicstik, letting the air drift slowly from her lips as she approached. Slide stepped up next to Claymore, her expression neutral as she leaned against the opposite side of the lamp post, taking another long drag from the cigarette.

Hoi Claymore. Looking good tonight big man. You get all ... meaty lookin' when you get tense. It works for you. How you hangin' t'night?

Her tone was conversational and even as she stood beside him, still watching the ensuing wrestling match. Claymore knew Slide well enough. She might be the conversational type, but usually only before or after a fight, or sex. Neither looked particularly likely at the moment, unless she'd really meant something to the "meaty" comment. She was here for a reason.
Fortune
Claymore watches the elven chica out of the corner of his eye, unsure whether he should be curious or sneer with disdain, and struggling to keep either emotion from reaching his face.

"Been worse."

He reaches over and plucks the nicstik from Slide's mouth, taking a deep lungful of smoke and then slowly letting it out before finally turning to face her. Claymore locks eyes with the woman while he takes another drag, then puts the cigarette back between her lips.

"So, Slide. What's up?"
fistandantilus4.0
Slide raises an eyebrow, the nicstik dangling from her lips for a moment before she spits it out.

What's wrong Clay', one of yer cats piss in your Fruity-Os this morning? You'd be in a better mood if you went out and got the real thing ya' know.

She grins wryly at the big elf, not backing down, not stpping up to escalate either. She maintains her position leaning against the lamp post.

Listen,Johnny California's playing errand boy tonight, running around for some work for Lucifer. They've got something important going on, some big meeting. You know the Ancients. If there's something Lucifer doesn't want you in on, it's going to be interesting. If I were you, I'd stick by Haven and get in on the action.

Or ... you can sit here against the lamp post all night all glowering and shit. Up to you. Just thought you'd like to know.

Have a nice night chummer.

She steps off, walking away and pulling another cig from her pack, muttering as she lights it.
SinN
Jester laughed as he watched the chaos insue. He enjoyed the certain kind of freedom that came with living on the street.
He cheered on the fight for a moment and then quickly got bored. He wanders for a moment until he goes into an alley way to reply to a message from Geneveive. she wasn't in the crowd which meant she was probably doing the same thing somewhere else in town.

Hey Genny,
Im fine. Just out havin fun. Ill be headin home soon, dont worry. Ill see you there. Be careful.

After sliding his com back into his pocket, he walks back out to the street. About now the fight has broken up, and a new one has started. Someone hands Jester a beer. He gladly except and enjoys the show.
Fortune
The chica's response brings a genuine grin to Claymore's features. His amusement slowly fades though as Slide tells the rest of her tale, but what she has to say is more than enough to pique the elf's curiosity.

As the elven woman goes to walk away, Claymore quickly takes a couple of steps to catch up to her.

"Slide!"

As she turns back to face him, the gunslinger shrugs and manages to crack a weak grin.

"Thanks omae."
fistandantilus4.0
Slide flashes him a smile, apparently understanding.

Null sheen chummer. Get me back some time, 'k?

Oh, and you owe me a smoke fucker.

She winks, then walks away, taking another drag from her cigarette, one hand in her pocket.
Lady Door
Juno watches the exchange between Slide and Claymore with interest.

"You're telling tales out of school, Slide... what are you up too?" She watches as the young girl walks away, a memory flashing at the edges of her conciousness before she pushes it back down. No time for that now.

Her eyes turn to Claymore, standing alone, his eyes still on Slide. "What are you going to do, I wonder?" She waits until his back is turned again before picking up the discarded nicstick. She smiles and disappears slowly back into the alleyway, lighting it and watching.

fistandantilus4.0
The cigarette tastes good. Has man and woman taste to it too. And dirt. Good dirt. Very unique.
fistandantilus4.0
As Chester wanders about, someone slaps him on the shoulder from behind. Turning, Chester sees Johnny California's grinning face.
Wha's up Jester, you crazy fuck?! Hey, you got a micro term?
SinN
Chester smiles and slaps hands with Johny as he turns.

Hey Johny, good to see you man. Yeah I got a sec, whats up chummer?
fistandantilus4.0
C'mre man, let's have a word.

Johnny jerks his head in a direction away from the regular raucous, over by a wall spray painted with a rather artistic take of an ork getting railed from behind by a Lone Star officer.

Johnny lights up a cig while leaning against the wall, glancing up, then sliding further back so that he's not in the unfortunate position of having his head in line with the ork's ass. He lights his cig again, takes a drag, then looks around as Jester walks up.

You lookin' for some action wizzer? 'Cause I know someone who could use some Talent real quick like.
SinN
Chester eyebrows raise with interest.

Yea, Id say Im in some need of a few extra bones. Whats the Job?
fistandantilus4.0
'Job'? What I look like, Mr. Fucking- Johnson? This is a piece o' Action, for someone who makes things happen, ya' scan? Important Ancients shit.
Fortune
As Claymore returns to his perch by the lamp post, he mentally sends out a quick text message to Haven.

"Hey there omae. I just got some buzz that somethin's goin' down t'night, an' your name's come up as bein' in on it. What's the word?"
SinN
Chester chuckles it off. He thinks of a few jokes regarding the peice of artwork on the wall, but thinks it best to keep them to himself.

Alright, alright. Im in Johny. Whats the action. Im always happy to do something for a good cuase.
fistandantilus4.0
Need you to provide a literal magical cover. Green Lucifer is taking care of a meet, and he says he needs some serious security for it. Man asked for you by name. You down?
SinN
Chester cocks his head and raises his eyebrows again, but in suprise.
Lucifer asked for me by name? Damn Chester ol buddy, you're comin up in the world.
He looks towards the crowd and cant help but smile at the scene.
Family
He looks back to Johny and nods.

Im down. Just tell me when and where to be.
fistandantilus4.0
You gotta bike? Meet up at the Squat at 10 tomorrow night. We ride out from there, soka?
SinN
Yeah, I got a ride. Soka. Anything else I should know?
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah ... don't get dead! Heh ehee... you know "Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never cut a deal with a dragon".

Johnny laughs as he walks off.
SinN
Chester chuckles.
I'll never understand why we keep that guy around. Hes good for a laugh though.

He takes one more look at the "art" and laughs out loud. He makes his way back home.

Maybe Genny's home.
fistandantilus4.0
Lurking around inside his ship, listening to the racket outside, Haven is almost startled when there's a bang at his door.

Yo! Haven! You in there bro! Hey it's Johnny! Gotta talk atcha for a tick!
Lady Door
Juno watched for a moment as Claymore fiddled with one of the strange box contraptions everyone seemed to have. It was an odd thing, all black and ... empty to her sight, yet they seemed so important to those that used them. Once again, something faint and forgotten pulled at her memory, but it was gone as quick as it came.

Claymore's aura flared as he spoke, so many emotions in the span of so little time. How do they do anything with so much going on in their heads and in their souls? Shrugging, she turned to see what the rest of her family was doing. She loved flitting in between them, feeling the intensity of the passions that flowed through them. She imagined the feeling was a lot like what they described being on their ... drugs... was like. She was so caught up in what she was seeing that she almost walked right into HIM.

The mage.

Startled, she froze for a moment. Thankfully, he was also fiddling with one of the strange black boxes. She dove behind one of the broken bikes that had been kicked to the curb and watched him pass. His aura was proud and curious. This, in turn, made her curious. She slipped out from behind the bike, shadowing him as he made his way through the crowd.

SinN
Chester's senses kick in as he's feels something....alive, close to him.

He makes a full 360 to take a look around. Once he doesnt notice, he looks astraly.
fistandantilus4.0
Jester - visual Perception Test

Juno - Infiltration Test
SinN
Jester's perception test
Perception-3
Intuition-3
Total-6
Roll-1,6,5,4,6,6
Lady Door
Juno's Infiltration Test
Infiltration: 4
Intuition: 4
Result: Bubkiss. One success.
(8d6 → [1,1,3,4,4,1,6,3])
fistandantilus4.0
Looking around, Jester spots a small head sticking around a building from an alley. Her hair is red and curly, her eyes are pointed, but a bit too long for an elf ... and she has curling black butterfly wings.
SinN
What in the hell?
Chester's curiousity entices him.
What is that? A changling or something? Maybe a street spirit. Either way, got be careful.

Um...hello.
He tries not to sound intimidating.
I can see you, ya know? C'mon out so I dont get nervous, eh? Might be better for both of us.
Chester stands ready, just in case.
Lady Door
Juno starts, turning to look behind her and then back. Her eyes widen. Is he talking to me? ... I think he is. Oh no. Oh, very much no. She stands still for just a brief moment before flashing back behind the wall. She waits for a moment and then sneaks a look back around. Shit! He's still there. He sees me!
Finally, she looks back again... poking her head around the corner just as he comes walking up. Her head bounces off his jacket.
AAAAHHHH! She looks frantically around and grabs the man by the lapels of his jacket, tugging and pulling him around the corner. Listen, this isn't what you think, soka? You're drunk. REALLY drunk. You're going to go home and when you wake up in the morning you're going to realize that this couldn't possibly be real... because that's crazy, right? Little green fairy and all that? Ok? We cool?
SinN
Chester is startled for a moment. But then regains his composure just in time for the little fairy's rant.
He listens intently for a moment and then smiles.

Hey! Relax. Im not gonna hurt you. Im just a curious person is all. His eyes focus.
What are you?
Lady Door
... Listen. Very. Closely. She flies up to his ear, speaking clearly and slowly. I am a figment of your imagination. Not here. The by-product of bad Chinese. Now, shoo... Go back to whatever it was you were doing.

She looks at him expectantly.
SinN
Is she serious?

He puts on a half grin.
Listen, I havent had much to drink tonight, and I havent had chinese since that incident at The Crazy Chicken.
He looks far away for a second and then shudders.
Anyway, Ill Im trying to do is say hi He waves and figure out what you are
So Ill start basic. Hi, my name is Chester Bennington, Friends call me Jester. How bout you?

Chester Holds out his hand and smiles warmly.
Lady Door
Juno sighs, exasperated. My name is Juno... and what do you mean "figure out what you are"? That's sort of rude, don't you think? You don't see me looking you up and down and asking you what you are, do you? She 'stands' with her arms crossed, hovering about 4 inches in front of his face.
SinN
He shrugs
I suppose not. I apologise. Its a pleasure to meet you, Juno. Im just not sure what you refer to you as. Ive never seen anything like you. Sure, theres a lot of different forms of changelings and spirits, but this is a new form all together. Beutiful, even.

He looks towards the crowd of wild Ancients, and back at Juno, actually sincere.
Does the crowd scare you? Is that why you're so nervous?
Lady Door
That the man called her beautiful is not lost on her. She calms some, warming to him... actually smiling. They don't scare me... they're my family. All of the Ancients are my family. But, sometimes... they don't know what's best for them. That's why they need me. I'm like... a guardian, you could say. This is my home.
SinN
Chester Smiles.
So we're family eh? So I suppose that makes Green Lucifer our drunk, angry uncle?
I hope she got that one.

Why The Ancients? Why are we so important to you?
Lady Door
At his mention of Green Lucifer, Juno's eyes narrow. "Green Lucifer is none of those things! He's our savior. Without him, the Ancients... this family would be nothing! He's pulled us up and made us stronger, better then we were. You shouldn't speak about him that way. It's... it's just.. you're ungrateful!" She turns her back on the mage, still floating in front of him.
SinN
Chester panics for a second

Ugh...No wait! It was a joke. You know, the ha ha funny kind? I wasn't trying to make offense. Just a sense of humor is all.
He smiles, but more of the "I hope I dont die for this" kind of smile.
DTFarstar
Haven jumps slightly as he's coming back downstairs and he receives a message from Claymore at the same time someone starts banging an unholy racket on his front door. Already this busy? Must be a hard night outside. I can't believe even Johnny has managed to get himself or his bike fucked up already.
Accessing the message while walking to answer the door and see what the hell is going on, Haven is surprised to see that it isn't a warning or a request for help, but just a request for information, sending off a quick reply to Claymore as he opens the door;

"Hey, I haven't heard anything as yet, but Johnny California is trying to beat down a security door with his hands right now, so after I see what the hell he needs I'll let you know if I hear anything."

"Hey Johnny, what have you managed to do now? Seems early in the night for someone to have trashed your bike- you injured?"
Fortune
Idly surveying the black and green street opera as it kicks up another notch, Claymore's eyes narrow as he reads the tech-head's response. Without a second thought, he makes a beeline for his bike, fully intent on checking this development out personally.

Lady Door
Juno's shoulders rise for a moment before she slowly relaxes. "You have an odd sense of humor." She finally turns around. "Your aura is aglow. You seem... excited. Why?"
SinN
Odd sense of humor indeed.
He takes a moment to consider this.
I dunno. It could be you. This is new. But also... He thinks again.
I can't help but feel that something big is coming. Maybe its the mojo in me, but Ive always had that kind of sense. Knowing when something is right, and when something is wrong. Anyone can do it really. But people like us are a tad more in touch with this world. Its easier for us to understand the feel of things. Right now, everything feels right. But, for some reason, I can't shake that things are about to go wrong. Really wrong. I suppose its all just a feeling though. I just hope Im wrong, and nothing happens to our family. He shrugs and smiles.
Then again, and interesting young woman with black butterfly wings has just quite litterly dove head first into my life. So perhaps all these exciting changes got me all riled up.
He crosses his arms and looks at Juno.
So you never awnsered my question. Why The Ancients? Why are we so important to you?
Lady Door
Juno muses over his response... picking through what she deems is truth and what could be false. Finally, she deems him more or less honest.
"I told you, the Ancients are my family. You don't pick your family. It's what you are born into. They are important to me for this very reason. I watch over my brothers, my sisters... even you."
SinN
Well beleive me, this family is better than my alternitive. Even if I had had a choice, Id still pick the Ancients.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012