Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
krayola red
Heeellloooooo Dumpshock! Man, it's been awhile since I've poked my nose around these parts. It appears the old gal has underwent a face lift while I was gone, and in my humble opinion, the operation has rendered her slightly uglier looking than before, but hey, beauty is subjective, right? Anyway. I've been having a bit of an itch for some online roleplaying lately, and Shadowrun has always been my favorite system, so I thought I'll try my hand at firing up a game here. The idea came to me rather spontaneously and it didn't even have the courtesy to knock first, so there will be kinks to iron out, but I'm thinking that this is how it's gonna go down:

1) This will be an extremely character driven game. As of now, I have no plot in mind. Not even the seed of one. I've always thought the sandbox style of play is more fun than the linear style, plus I'm lazy, so the GM crank is going to start turning only when it has to. This means that the characters will have a lot of say in the overall focus and direction of the game, but it also means that the players will have more responsibility when it comes to keeping the ball rolling.

2) The first act of the game will be short and simple, nothing fancy. Consider it a trial run. If everything goes smoothly and we reach an endpoint somewhere, then there is a good possibility of extending it into a full blown campaign if the players want to go for it. Speaking of players...

3) There will only be 2 players. That's right, only 2. One reason for this is that the less players there are, the quicker things move, and stagnation is what usually kills forum games. Another is that due to the nature of this game as being very character focused, having less players means I'll be able to devote more individual attention to their characters. However, this rule only holds for the first run. If we do decide afterwards to turn this into more than a one shot deal, then the team will likely grow larger.

4) I haven't decided on an edition or house rules yet, but I can say this: If this is SR3, there will be no Hand of God. If this is SR4, there will be no burning of edge to save your life. I like to run 'em deadly to keep players on their toes. If your character dies, they're dead. No second chances. I won't go out of my way to kill you, but I won't go out of my way to save you either. I don't recommend submitting an established character to whom you've built an attachment for this very reason.

Hmm, that's all I can think of for now. Everything else will be decided once the group is assembled. For those who are interested, give me a character concept that includes a name, an occupation, a short ~1 paragraph backstory, and for shits and giggles, a fun fact about yourself (the player). Here is an extremely crappy example:

[ Spoiler ]

I know some of you love to write, and I promise I'll read what you have even if it's more than a paragraph, but please don't go too far, neh? If your name is Stephen King and you're a bestselling horror author who likes to write books that could double as ship anchors, you're automatically banned from this game, though I would love to have your autograph. Ya'll can post your concepts on this thread or send them to my PM box. If there are more than two people applying, then I'll go with my intuition and pick the two characters who I think will work best together in this kind of game. Above all, make a character that you would love to play, possibly for a long while, cuz the whole point is to have fun, yeah?

That is all. Thanks for reading, and I look forward to playing with you guys!

P.S. Incidentally, if you have another person that you really want to play with, you can submit your characters in tandem, which means if one gets in, the other does too. I dunno if anyone will actually take advantage of this, but I figured it couldn't hurt to make it an option.

P.P.S. What the fuck, we have avatars now? eek.gif
Kliko
Count me in for a sr3 based game. Will pm charachter concept details etc. when I'm back from work.

Cheers,

Glyph
I would be interested in a game, either SR3 or SR4. Different character for each, though, because my SR3 character really, really wouldn't translate into SR4 (unless we use Karmagen).

The SR4 one:
[ Spoiler ]

The SR3 One:
[ Spoiler ]

BlackHat
The two player thing sounds interesting - especially with the pairing up idea. Seems like it would be an opportunity to play some characters that would want more of the spotlight (or whose backgrounds could come up more) than they would usually get. wink.gif
BlackHat
I suppose it is worth asking (since everyone will want to know) - which supplements you have (or intend to make use of) for either edition. In either case, I think that could influence the sorts of concepts people come up with.
Kliko
Ok, here goes:

SR3:
[ Spoiler ]

Funny fact: "Trust me, I´m you´re banker, nuyen.gif "
krayola red
BlackHat: For now, assume that all supplements are fair game. If I don't have the book and you want to use something from it, you're gonna have to explain to me how it works when it's number crunching time.

Kliko: I don't see anything inside the spoilers? spin.gif
Kliko
Try again. I first made the post, then filled the spoiler.

Cheers,
Karaden
So are you going to only have 2 players for the trial run as well? Guess I've missed my chance already.
BlackHat
I think the idea was 2 characters only for the trial run. If that works out, it sounded like then Krayola might bring on a full team.

Might as well submit an idea, anyway, if you're interested. He said if he got more than two, he would pick the two that fit together the best.
krayola red
Okay kids, consider this thread closed. The edition will be SR4 (sorry Kliko! Give me a holler if you ever upgrade). The team will be Tasha Deadeye, played by Glyph, and Zee, played by BlackHat. I'm gonna go get myself some food, then post up the OOC thread for this game when I get back, at which point we can get rolling on setting the stage.
BlackHat
Sounds good. Would you want character creation nonsense to happen here or in OOC? Any houserules we need to know about (other than no 1-ups)? Standard chargen? I'll move my concept and what I've got so far into whichever thread you'd prefer, and go from there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012