Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Everything Old is New Again
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Lady Door
Prologue:

His voice was soothing, consoling. The feminine voice on the other end of the line was nothing more then a sob punctuated occasionally by a word or two.
"I understand your concern, Mrs. Larson... cults like this... well, they can be very dangerous... especially to young girls. We're going to do everything we can to get your daughter back." He paused.
"Yes... yes, I do believe that being with your family will help her to find herself... however, you must understand that the first seven days after she's been freed are THE most crucial. It's imperative that she is somewhere safe, somewhere where the thought reform process can be completed without any interference from outside influences... influences, that I dare say, are what caused your daughter to fall in with these people." The man idly flipped through a small black book as he spoke, several passages of cramped handwriting covered in red. He nodded in response to an unheard question.
"I can personally guarantee that your daughter will return to you, loving and dutiful, respectful of the Lord's word." He nodded to the man beside him, flashing a thumbs up sign.
"Mmm, that can always be negotiated, Mrs. Larsen. I'll see you shortly... mmmhmm, you as well. God bless." The man hung up the phone, smiling.
"Time to go and do what the Lord hath commanded." There was a low chuckle from both men.
"Amen."
Lady Door
The club was crowded tonight. Partly because of the rain pouring outside, and partly because it was open mic night. That always brought 'em in. Havoc eyed the people dancing with apprehension bordering on out and out panic. The band on stage now was finishing up their set, their drummer winding down a wicked solo. The sound of the assembled throng was deafening as they roared their approval. It was going to be a tough act to follow.

From somewhere behind him he could hear Hood tuning his guitar, strumming a few quick notes. He looked up and smiled, ready for anything. Already a pretty brunette was laying over his shoulder as he practiced, gushing over his newest tattoo. "... and it's just like THE hottest thing. Ever. Like, where'd you get it... cause I got my butterfly done at Billy Bob's..."

"And now... Please welcome... " there was a pause as the announcer checked the AR for the name of the forthcoming act.. "Dystopian.. Dreams!"

That was it. Swallowing hard, Havoc walked onstage...
fistandantilus4.0
Taking a moment to gulp in air, Alex steeled himself.

Why the fuck am I doing this ...

HOOD! Move your fucking ass!

The shit I go through to pay rent...

Havoc walked boldly out onto the stage, trusting that his lead guitar player would shrug off the joytoy and get his ass out on stage to back him up.

Lord knows I can't play guitar for shit

Taking his place front and center, he trusts that the drunken dwarf doing the lighting will remember to dim the lights out first to give them a more dramatic opening. The two of them might not have all the talent in the world, but they could at least put on a show.
He strums one long, low cord on his guitar , letting the vibreations resonate through the house as he keeps his head down, opening himself to the music, the dark feel of the inner city club. Breathing in deep, he opens his third eye, breathing in the astral world and the emotional highs of the audience as he opens the song.

Keeping his voice low and the music strong, he intros with Dystopian Dreams.

Performance roll = 7 hits
Lady Door
Tallulah - Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2200

Standing beside the bar, Tallulah takes little notice of the new band on stage. Instead her attention is focused on a well dressed business man several barstools away. A bar fly is perched on his lap, stroking his hair as she listens to him drone on and on about some sort of complicated merger that only he really understands. She's smiling and signalling to the bartender when she thinks the corporate drone isn't paying attention, ordering drinks for herself and a friend at the end of the bar... all of this surely going on the unsuspecting man's tab.
Tallulah smiles, the barfly may have no use for the merger information... but someone will and someone will pay handsomely for it. Filing the information away for future use, Tallulah takes another long look around, eager to spot another unwitting payday.

Perception Test

SinN
Before they walk on stage Hood pats Havok on the back

Relax, ol buddy. We're gonna be great. 'Sides, not like we gotta choice mate. We got bills to pay. He smiles wickedly and chuckles.

Alright Hood, get it together. Gotta look good. 'Lotta good lookin ladies out there

Hood takes the stage with Havok. He brings his guitar up and strums one note, making sure its been tuned. He turns to Havok.
Alright, lets do it.

Roll for Preformance
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Opening himself to the astral inside the club, Havoc is buffeted by wave after wave of passion, lust, anger, jealousy, rage... all of it washing over him and sliding into his music. He can feel the crowd responding to him, responding to the music they are creating. It's a rush. There's nothing like it and for a moment he understands why he keeps finding himself in this spot. Nevermind the anxiety, the fear, the worry... for one moment. This moment. It's worth it.

His third eye open, he can see the bright spots of the Awakened dotting the crowd. Here and there, the Talent flickering like a flame within each of them. Surprisingly, there are quite a few gathered here tonight.. in fact, there's a group of three... women, as a matter of fact, watching him right now. The flame flickering within them is strong, their astral forms almost glowing.
fistandantilus4.0
Inspired by the reaction, ... and the three women, let's be honest, they finish Dreams powerfully, and move right into the faster, and hotter, Gemini immediately. 'Cause everyone loves a song about multiple lovers.
Oenone
How sweet of her. I won't even need to do the work myself tonight, I might even get chance to have a drink or two myself if the details are good.

Turning on her ear recording unit Tallulah shifts in her chair, hoping to pick up something a little more interesting than the bar flys drinks order.

Roll for Perception
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
"Damn, I GOT this." Hood smiles as his hands fly across the frets of the guitar, making the instrument sing. He can see the brunette cutie standing off to the side of the stage, watching him. She's a hot little one, allright. Is she...? Oh, hell yeah... she's going to toss her panties. Heellll yeah.
Lady Door
Tallulah - Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2205

As she shifts, Tallulah notices a blonde woman dressed in white sitting at the other end of the bar. The woman is watching her... making no show of hiding it.
SinN
He smiles and winks at the brunnette as he starts the next song.

Damn, Alex. You'd think she was here, he's on fire.

Roll for preformance
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Havoc - Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2205

The song's effect spreads in slow ripples, the aura of the place changing... the mood becoming more provocative, more passionate. The spikes of anger and rage slowly dim while the feelings of lust and love surge.

His attention now caught by the trio, Havoc notices that they seem to be ... unaffected by the club, by the men offering to buy them drinks, even by the music itself... their attention rests solely on the men playing on stage.
fistandantilus4.0
Weird ...

Trying not to focus too much on three chicas buzzkilling effects, he moves on through the set, finishing up Gemini with a flourish. Riding the wave of provocative emotions, he goes into one more, since no one seems to be stopping them. He glances over his shoulder to Hood, who's hung a pair of lacey panties on the head of his guitar.

Tempest.

Tempest is every bit as fast as furious as it's name suggests, a song about a torrid affair, unbridaled passions, and saying fuck it to the consequences. Always a favorite of a pumped up crowd. And maybe, just maybe if they play loud and fast enough, getting people to focus on the music .... no one will notice he's a mediocre guitar player. Furiously shrugging aside any doubts, to keep any of it from creeping into his performance, he even dares the trio of women to not get into it with a direct look their way.

Perform
[ Spoiler ]
SinN
Hood smiles and nods as Alex gives out the next song. He re-adjusts the panties hanging from his guitar.

Roll for preformance
[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Havoc & Hood - Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2215

As Havoc enters into the next set the crowd cheers. Already he can see the bar manager nodding approvingly. If his luck holds it looks like rents going to be paid and drinks are on the house.

A stacked redhead in the front shrieks at Hood, flashing him, her commcode written across her chest.

Even the three women seem to be affected. One of them actually smiles, bobbing her head to the beat. When his eyes meet hers she mouths the word, "Later."
SinN
Hood leans forward to get a better look at the code. Once he feels hes got it memorised, he jumps back into the show with a loud, WOOO! Followed by laughter.
This is the life.
fistandantilus4.0
Havoc smiles, picking up on Hood's good times. Finishing Tempest, he throws them into one last song, Karma's a Bitch. The song is wild and loose, jokingly sardonic, about a cheating lover getting what's coming to her. The punchline is that the cheating lover is a woman named 'Karma'.

Finishing the set, he throws his fists in the air, letting the roar of the crowd wash over him, quiting while they're ahead.

[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
Havoc & Hood - Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2215

As the crowd cheers, the announcer steps back onto the stage already announcing the next and final set of the evening. He pats the two of you on the back pointing up at the bar manager.

"Go see Rob. He'll get you your pay. Nice set. We'll see ya back next week." Before either of you can say a word he's gone again.

Making your way off the stage, one of the three... the one with the nice smile...
[ Spoiler ]
makes her way to you. She leans in and kisses Havoc hard on the mouth, pressing something soft into his hand. Looking down, it appears to be a cocktail napkin.

The stacked redhead is already sliding up next to Hood, much to the dismay of the cute brunette.
SinN
This is one song Hood really gets into. Often mimicking the cheating girl trying to beg Havok for forgiveness, then the crowd.

Preformance
[ Spoiler ]
fistandantilus4.0
Haoc only has the time to look shocked for a second before recovering long enough to enjoy it. He looks her over, noting that she and her friends aren't really the type to be hanging at a place like "Charlie T's Mother-F-ing Bar and Dive". He has to shout over the crowd to be heard, his breath still coming a little fast.

Hi! I'm Alex! Enjoyed the show huh?
Lady Door
She simply winks and looks pointedly down at the napkin in his hand before making her way back to her table.
fistandantilus4.0
Confused, he get shimself some room and light to read, moving towards the bar while looking back in her direction.

What the fuck ... better not be some slummin' corper...
Lady Door
We need your help. You & your friend. Heard you were available for employment. The cred is good. Meet us downstairs in 30 minutes if you're interested.
fistandantilus4.0
What the fuck...?

Yo, Hood! Come 'ere man!

Seeing Hood embroiled in a whole lotta brunette, Havoc sighs, looking back over at the table where the woman went.
SinN
Hood glances at Havok.

Looking back at the woman with that oh-so-charming smile.
Hang on a sec baby. Me mate needs a word.

Better be fraggin good...

He jogs up to Havok.
Wats up Alex?
fistandantilus4.0
Dude I don't even fuckin' know. Either we just got offered a job ... or a threesome.

Not really sure which to hope for.

He absently hands Hood the napkin while scanning for the woman still.
SinN
Well on one side, we get some more work, furthering our career in running. On the other, we have a crazy three way, possibly furthering our friendship. Hood laughs and slaps Havok on the back.
He holds up the note and reads it to himself.
Hm.... Sounds like work. If it were a proposition she would have added words like, "Touching", or "Forbidden."
Hood glances at Havok, who is staring at him in a what appears to be a mixture of disgust and suprise.
Hood grins and shrugs. Isnt my first.
fistandantilus4.0
Havoc shakes his head. No, not that. I was just wondering when you learned a big word like "proposition." You even used it right. He grins at the big man, shooting one last look at the table ,before going to the bartender to colelct their cash.

If it ins't some crazy group thing, we shoul probably get cleaned up then, and go find out what the frag this is all about.

Don't look at me like that, of course I still say 'frag'. Fraggin' old school you slitch. The poor teenager looking his way has no idea why Havoc is glaring back at the imagined slight.
SinN
Sure thing. Dont suppose I got time for a shower? He eyes the red head at the end of that sentence.
fistandantilus4.0
Havoc rolls his eyes. Oh yeah, sure. I'm sure that 'Charlie T.' has a shower back there somewhere you can just jump into, freshen up a bit. Probably some potpourri on the toilet too, with some light scented oils so you can smell all nice and lemony fresh.

Havoc leans on the bar, rapping his fingers anxiously, wanting to get some rent money.

SinN
Hood pauses for a moment.
You think?
fistandantilus4.0
Havoc glances sideways at him.

..... No, p'rolly not.

Hey Mack, can we get a drink here? And maybe our cred?!
Lady Door
The bartender, a rough looking troll, looks annoyed. He puts down the keg he was lifting into place and walks over slowly.
"You need somethin', son?" His tone implies that now would probably be a good time to rephrase your question into the form of a polite request.
fistandantilus4.0
Yeah, we're supposed to get paid.

His tone is even. It's a matter of fact, not opinion or debate. Plus, you don't debate with guys that actually answer to "Mack".
SinN
Yea, so be a good bloke and get us our cred.

His tone is just as even as Alex's. His eyes narrowed, and hands on the bar.
Oenone
Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2200

Inclining her head slightly, Tallulah runs the women in white's face through her facial recognition and empathy software programs and flicks her agent onto paranoid mode - devoting it's entire run time to analyzing things.

Tallulah orders herself a tall glass of synthetic fruit juice from the bar and then, with a sigh, she makes an ever so subtle hand motion gesturing the women in white over.

Better get this over with in public. Then I'll know if I need to take the indirect way home...
Lady Door
The troll's eyes slowly swivel from Havoc to Hood. Without seeming to even move his fist flies out, pistoning right into Hood's face. There's a distinct "crack" and blood geysers from Hood's nose.
Hood's Reaction Roll against Surprise
[ Spoiler ]

Troll's Opposed Reaction Roll for Surprise
[ Spoiler ]

Troll's Attack Roll
[ Spoiler ]

The troll looks at the bleeding human and wipes his hand off with a bar rag. Sorry. Don't think I heard you right. Wanna say that again?"
Behind the troll, another man stands with a shotgun leveled. THAT would be the bar manager.
fistandantilus4.0
Havoc's head swivels from Hood, sprawled out in the crowd, probably unconcious, back to the troll, wiping his knuckles.

Hmmm? Oh ..... Please?
Lady Door
Tallulah - Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2200

The woman in white nods, looking oddly relieved. She stands and begins making her way through the crowd when suddenly a human man goes flying back, almost knocking her into the crowd. Several women scream and a handful of men push their way closer to see what's going on. The woman in white is lost in the melee.
SinN
Body roll for Hood
Body-5
Titanium bone lacing-1
Total-6
Roll-5 6 1 6 3 6
Total net hits-4
Re roll failures-2 die
Roll-5 5

Damn good hit mate! Hood struggles, but aproaches the bar. His hand on his face.
Lady Door
Havoc & Hood - Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2230

The troll looks at Havoc and actually laughs. It's nice to see a sense of humor in someone who could easily reach in and choke you with your own backbone. He hits an ancient looking cashbox sitting beside the bottles of whisky and gin. The top pops open, revealing several stacks of actual cash... all of it looking like its seen better days. He grabs several bills off the top and slams them down next to Havoc, causing the bar to shake.
"Here's your money. Now get 'im the hell out of here."
Oenone
Charlie T's Bar - Open Mic Night - Thursday - May 12, 2071 - 2200

As the women in white vanishing in the crush of metahumanity Tallulah mutters something obscene under her breath in Arabic.

Typical. Although from the looks of things she doesn't seem like she's here to kill me.

Of course that doesn't stop her making ever so subtle motions to confirm her ceramic knife is still within easy reach and catch keeping her capsule round Elan is undone for easy access.

fistandantilus4.0
No problem Havoc stands, smacking his hand down on the money and stepping away from the bar. He moes towards Hood, crouches, then throws a Physical Barrier over the ork and troll.

Spellcasting - Physical Barrier Force 7
[ Spoiler ]

Don't ever point a gun at me.
Lady Door
As the spell wall snaps into place, screams erupt throughout the club.

"MAGE!" "GET THE FREAK!"

It's chaos. From behind the spell wall, the troll is like a force possessed. His fists slam against the barrier hard enough to shake it, but it still holds. The bar manager pulls his commlink, dialing over the AR furiously. His eyes never leaving Havoc.

The ominous sound of knives clearing sheaths, of hidden guns being assembled fill the suddenly very crowded bar. A large ork steps up, a length of chain wrapped around his fist. He opens his mouth to speak when suddenly he's hit from behind by a large, glowing spear of mana.

"TOUCH HIM AND YOU DIE!" Standing on top of a table somewhere behind the crowd are an elven male and a human woman. Both have a tell-tale nimbus of light around their hands. There is silence for half a second... and then all hell breaks loose.

Roll Initiative
fistandantilus4.0
Ah this is some bullsh...!

Initiative = 7 and Crit glitch
[ Spoiler ]
Oenone
Shit. You have /got/ to be joking...

Roll for Initiative = 8

[ Spoiler ]
Lady Door
For just a moment the mob surging around Havoc hesitates, years of watching re-runs of 'Karl the Kombat Mage' running through their minds. They know what usually happens in this situation... and it never ends well for the mob.

Mob Initiative
[ Spoiler ]

Seeing the mage stagger, the crowd scents blood. They frenzy. Over the roar of the onrushing horde, Havoc hears another feminine voice. This one familiar. He spots a shock of bright pink hair. "Touch him and I'll kill you!!" Then his sight is blocked by a huge ork, a giant Sons of Sauron tattoo emblazoned on his forehead. Havoc has a moment to think, idly, "Wow. That must have hurt." before a huge fist comes down. Hard.

Ork Attack Roll
[ Spoiler ]

Roll Body against Ork's Strength of 5
fistandantilus4.0
Deal with the biggest threat first .... which is ... fuck me.

Thinking fast, Havoc chants aloud, calling out the words of a 'summoning' in Enochian. Hands swirling in the air, an inky blackness pools out from him in a nimbus, seperating into three apparations, wraith like in appearance. The three forms gather around Havoc and fallen Hood, menacing anyone that comes close.
He slumps down to one knee, blood pouring from his nose, hacking up more as he tries to summon the energy for another spell.
Trid Phantasm - 3 Dark spirits hovering in the air - Force 6

[ Spoiler ]

BACK OFF!!

Damage Resist - Body 4 = 2 hits = 4DV S taken
Lady Door
Willpower Tests for the Crowd to Flee
[ Spoiler ]

Willpower Test #1 (Right)
[ Spoiler ]

Willpower Test #2 (Left)
[ Spoiler ]

Willpower Test #3 (Center)
[ Spoiler ]

The inky blackness slowly seeps out from Havoc's fingers, billowing out around his feet and coalescing around him. The forms leer and grasp at the mob, tendrils of dark energy wrapping around the closer souls. Mass hysteria seems to envelop the crowd as scores of them turn and run, trampling others in their haste to get out the door. There are women screaming, men yelling... Havoc can feel others coming for him as his vision fades.
A shot rings out. Once again, there's that familiar voice. "I will shoot you where you stand, so help me God. MOVE!" The ork standing beside him moves slowly, his face angry.
Havoc feels a strong arm go up and underneath his, holding him on his feet. "Can you walk?

fistandantilus4.0
He shakes his head, barely managing a Not really...

Hood?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012