Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting for Daily Action
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2
Play
Sorry, recruitment is closed.

I'm in front of my computer a lot.

I like distracting myself from work with SR.

I like being able to do that consistently, on a daily basis.

I feel sad when days and weeks go by and nobody posts, in games I've tried to play PbP.

I'm looking for 2-3 players, who are excited to play, love the SR world, have the 5 minutes a day it takes to check mail and post a post 2 or 3 times.

I want to run a game that is heavy on story and not so heavy on rolling the dice. There will be rolls, but I don't want to be looking in the rules all the time figuring out the right one (because, you know, I'm busy working).

I'm looking for players that want to use their brains, and strategy, and be rewarded for that, instead of hoping a die roll works out for them.
I'm looking for players that can consistently post 1-3 times a day.

If you don't post for 3 days, and don't communicate why, and don't show up on day 4 with a doctor's note, there's a bullet with your character's name on it in the barrel of a gun owned by a NPC that looks shockingly like Angelina Jolie. Your name will actually be written on the bullet.

I'm looking for realistic characters.
Elf, human, orc, troll, or dwarf characters only. 450 point builds, regular rules.
No riggers, technomancers and deckers (I love the SR4 world but refuse to use the term 'hacker').
You can know each other or not, but you will all get along splendidly.
Goodish aligned personalities only. No evil mass murderers. No hot bisexuals/lesbians (only evil when played by RPG geeks).

Backgrounds don't need to be long, but please don't be cheesy. We're going for realistic here.

Play wants to play.
Mister Juan
Me me me!!! All but 1 one of the games I was in died, so I'm REALLY looking for something. I can, and do definitly read the boards at least 5 times a day. Posting wise, I can do 1 a day, more if they are short. I already have plently of characters all made up and good to go; I'd just have to retool them for the game.

All in all, I would be extremely interested in playing an "older" character (a character in his late 40s, early 50s). I've tried the concept a few times, and had a blast... but all the games died out. I'll post their backgrounds in a few.
Play
Go for it.

It's a whatever you want kind of game.
krayola red
Can I play as Angelina Jolie?
Mister Juan
Dexter Pope - Mercenary
Writing Sample
[ Spoiler ]

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Here is one. I'll get another one up as soon as I find his background.
Play
If you explore playing her as an orc or a troll, yes, you may.
Play
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Nov 17 2008, 06:22 PM) *
Dexter Pope - Mercenary
Writing Sample

Here is one. I'll get another one up as soon as I find his background.

A different characters bg?

Whatever, I like your style. You're in.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Play @ Nov 17 2008, 09:34 PM) *
A different characters bg?

Whatever, I like your style. You're in.

I was going to submit another character... but if you like this one, I'll start working up on his character sheet.
Is there a deadline for the character sheet? Just so I have some sort of guideline (as in: so I don't over procrastinate)
Play
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Nov 17 2008, 06:44 PM) *
I was going to submit another character... but if you like this one, I'll start working up on his character sheet.
Is there a deadline for the character sheet? Just so I have some sort of guideline (as in: so I don't over procrastinate)

I don't care what character you play. I care that you play.

Since you're going to procrastinate, then your cs is due no later than midnight tomorrow.

Dashifen
I'd be interested as well. I haven't played a PbP game in a while, but I can spare the time for a few posts a day. Weekends are light for me on DSF, though, so as long as you don't mind some silence between Friday night and Monday morning, I can probably meet your needs. I've never played a Mystic Adept so that tickles my fancy. Have you gotten your hands on the Digital Grimoire? I could see a Psionic Tradition mystic adept...
rob
I'd like in. I like strategy and stuff!

Please explain what you mean for no riggers/technomancers/hackers - I like characters that mix a bit of capabilities in together, and one of them is enough computer familiarity to deal with lots of different situations.

My basic idea is Jesse "Told" Volkman, a young and extremely talented dwarf kid who grew up in trash, far from a situation in which he can really use his talents. Fair number of skills, lot of cyber (hard life), much more common sense for one of his age, but not enough maturity to know what to do with it.

Will be nice to play alongside Mr. Juan's character.

I'll write him up tomorrow, when I have some time.
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Play @ Nov 17 2008, 09:53 PM) *
I don't care what character you play. I care that you play.

Since you're going to procrastinate, then your cs is due no later than midnight tomorrow.

Holy crap! Can I have until... friday? nyahnyah.gif
Play
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Nov 17 2008, 06:55 PM) *
I'd be interested as well. I haven't played a PbP game in a while, but I can spare the time for a few posts a day. Weekends are light for me on DSF, though, so as long as you don't mind some silence between Friday night and Monday morning, I can probably meet your needs. I've never played a Mystic Adept so that tickles my fancy. Have you gotten your hands on the Digital Grimoire? I could see a Psionic Tradition mystic adept...

I don't have it, but if you really want to play that you can send me the relevant info.

Does light F night - Sunday mean no posts, or a post a day?
Play
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Nov 17 2008, 07:12 PM) *
Holy crap! Can I have until... friday? nyahnyah.gif

When you already have characters made up? Hell no.

Midnight Wednesday.

Procrastination is bad for your soul.

nyahnyah.gif
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Play @ Nov 17 2008, 10:14 PM) *
When you already have characters made up? Hell no.

Midnight Wednesday.

Procrastination is bad for your soul.

nyahnyah.gif

Alright Alright nyahnyah.gif
krayola red
QUOTE (Play @ Nov 17 2008, 07:23 PM) *
If you explore playing her as an orc or a troll, yes, you may.

Angelina Jolie, Street Samurai

Background: Angelina was in the prime of her Hollywood career and the future looked bright, but it was all taken away when the actress spontaneously goblinized into a troll right in the middle of the set while filming her next action flick. This was back in the early days of the Sixth World, when UGE and goblinization were not yet understood by the public, and Angie's fans and producers didn't know what to think. Was it some kind of disease? Was it a cosmetic surgery operation gone terribly, terribly wrong? Despite the fact that Ms. Jolie now had the ability to do all the things she did in her movies in real life, her career took a nose-dive, and it all went downhill from there. Her loving husband Brad Pitt tried to support her, but unfortunately he was accidentally killed during a lovemaking session that got a little too passionate, and no matter how many babies Angie adopted from Africa, it would not turn back the depression. Eventually, Angie decided that she was done being depressed and it was time to make the best out of a bad situation. Armed with the abilities granted to her by her physical transformation, as well as years of stage combat experience, Angelina Jolie took to the shadows as a criminal for hire, and hasn't looked back since.

Angelina Jolie
Race: Troll

Attributes:

Body: 9
Agility: 3
Reaction: 4
Strength: 10
Charisma: 4
Intuition: 3
Logic: 3
Willpower: 5

Qualities

Ambidextrous
Distinctive Style: Is Angelina Jolie
Big Regret: Was in Alexander
Dependents: Has accumulated a clan of 56 adopted African children over the years
Enemy: Jennifer Aniston, who turned out to be an immortal elf

Active Skills:

Pistols: 5 (Specialization: Oversized Pistols)
Automatics: 3
Stealth: 3
Gymnastics: 2
Etiquette: 5 (Specialization: Famous People)
Negotiation: 4 (Specialization: Movie Contracts)
Intimidation: 5 (Specialization: Lips)

Knowledge Skills:

Theater: 6
Film Studies: 5
Buddhism: 2
BDSM: 5
Politics: 3

Implants:

Cosmetic modification: Lip enlargement
Mister Juan
QUOTE (krayola red @ Nov 17 2008, 10:19 PM) *

Background: Angelina was in the prime of her Hollywood career and the future looked bright, but it was all taken away when the actress spontaneously goblinized into a troll right in the middle of the set while filming her next action flick. This was back in the early days of the Sixth World, when UGE and goblinization were not yet understood by the public, and Angie's fans and producers didn't know what to think. Was it some kind of disease? Was it a cosmetic surgery operation gone terribly, terribly wrong? Despite the fact that Ms. Jolie now had the ability to do all the things she did in her movies in real life, her career took a nose-dive, and it all went downhill from there. Her loving husband Brad Pitt tried to support her, but unfortunately he was accidentally killed during a lovemaking session that got a little too passionate, and no matter how many babies Angie adopted from Africa, it would not turn back the depression. Eventually, Angie decided that she was done being depressed and it was time to make the best out of a bad situation. Armed with the abilities granted to her by her physical transformation, as well as years of stage combat experience, Angelina Jolie took to the shadows as a criminal for hire, and hasn't looked back since.

Angelina Jolie
Race: Troll

Attributes:

Body: 9
Agility: 3
Reaction: 4
Strength: 10
Charisma: 4
Intuition: 3
Logic: 3
Willpower: 5

Qualities

Ambidextrous
Distinctive Style: Is Angelina Jolie
Big Regret: Was in Alexander
Dependents: Has accumulated a clan of 56 adopted African children over the years
Enemy: Jennifer Aniston, who turned out to be an immortal elf

Active Skills:

Pistols: 5 (Specialization: Oversized Pistols)
Automatics: 3
Stealth: 3
Gymnastics: 2
Etiquette: 5 (Specialization: Famous People)
Negotiation: 4 (Specialization: Movie Contracts)
Intimidation: 5 (Specialization: Lips)

Knowledge Skills:

Theater: 6
Film Studies: 5
Buddhism: 2
BDSM: 5
Politics: 3

Implants:

Cosmetic modification: Lip enlargement

A part of me just died.
Cthulhudreams
Thats awesome? Can I play?
Play
QUOTE (rob @ Nov 17 2008, 07:07 PM) *
I'd like in. I like strategy and stuff!

Please explain what you mean for no riggers/technomancers/hackers - I like characters that mix a bit of capabilities in together, and one of them is enough computer familiarity to deal with lots of different situations.

I meant no riggers/technomancers/hackers.

All that tech is rule heavy, and I'm not going to spend much time looking up stats and rules.

1. Definitely no hackers/hacking.

2. I think technomancers are dumb.

3. Riggers.....now that I think about it, I'll allow riggers. Remember, it's heavy on story, not heavy on rolls. If that works for you, rig away.
Play
QUOTE (krayola red @ Nov 17 2008, 07:19 PM) *

That's funny as hell.

(Except, wouldn't she be......really really old?)

Going to play her?
krayola red
She doesn't know it, but she's actually the first immortal troll.

Yes, I would absolutely play her.
Play
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Nov 17 2008, 07:21 PM) *
Thats awesome? Can I play?

If you fit the requirements, and get me a character that makes me happy, yes.
Play
QUOTE (krayola red @ Nov 17 2008, 07:30 PM) *
She doesn't know it, but she's actually the first immortal troll.

Yes, I would absolutely play her.

That's really fucking funny. And I'm only considering it so I can play Jennifer as an Immortal Elf with a blood oath of revenge against her.

........uhh.....hmmm.....

Nope. But I'll totally give your new character a bonus because A. I'm still laughing, B. That was incredibly clever, C. I could totally work in 56 african babies, D. You could probably pull it off, but no.

krayola red
frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif
Cthulhudreams
Whats your ruling on shape metal? Ie how much of the world is metal (is ferrocrete and plastisteel metal? They are according to SR3, but many people state otherwise)

Also, what if a metal block is covered in paint, or the earth in lawn. Can I use shape metal or shape earth respectively to shape the objects?

Play
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Nov 17 2008, 07:43 PM) *
Whats your ruling on shape metal? Ie how much of the world is metal (is ferrocrete and plastisteel metal? They are according to SR3, but many people state otherwise)

Also, what if a metal block is covered in paint, or the earth in lawn. Can I use shape metal or shape earth respectively to shape the objects?

I rule that ferrocrete and plastisteel has enough other material in it to keep a spell targeting 'metal' from being effective.

I rule that a layer of paint would not block the use of the spell.

1-4ish inches tall, not block. 5-8 inches, iffy. Taller, yes block.
Play
QUOTE (krayola red @ Nov 17 2008, 07:39 PM) *
frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif

You had me till 'the first immortal troll'.
Play
Also, magic types can Initiate once and bond foci from their starting points.

Also, tell me what you would most want to advance/improve about your character.

Do whatever you want with contacts, but your actions will dictate how they relate to you.

---Last post of the night, I'm off--
Cthulhudreams
My entry - I have 2 BP and a few thousand nuyens floating, so it is not quite 100%:

Dagda - Mage

Street Alias: "Skriatok"
Fake SIN Name R4: Tuatha De Danann (Irish immigrant with permanent residency in california) C.A.S Citizen
Fake SIN Name R4: Vasilii Ivanov Gubin (Russian immigrant permanent residency with in californi) U.C.A.S citizen
Fake SIN Name R2: David Kievlianin Zorynich (Russian immigrant from kiev) California Citizen.

Origin: The Urals, Russian Federation
Nationality: Russian
Metatype: Ork
Meta variant: Skriatok (Orge Mechanically)
Sex: Male
Height: 2.1 meters
Weight: 140 kg
Hair: None, completely bald.
Eyes: Pale blue, almost grey.
Lifestyle: High. To feed his geas Dagda drinks heavily and accumulates gold possessions like some sort of gold based magpie.

[ Spoiler ]

Some observations:

Obviously the meta type is a custom job, but I've based it on orks mechanically. It is jut designed as a unique look and feel designed to tie in with his Geasa and tradition. If you are unhappy with this, I can easily revert to being a regular ork. I've also taken an extra disadvantage (incompetence: swimming) but given myself no points for this, however I do intend to drink beyond all reason and I'm hoping thata I won't be staggering around drunk as a side effect of this smile.gif

I've also gone with a tradition that is loosely based on buddism and earth elementalism. I debating moving earth to guidance and putting fire in place in combat, because a relationship with plants gives you a relationship to the sun.

Also, I have shape metal. If you don't think ferrocrete and plastisteel are affected by shape metal, or that paint or similar blocks LOS for effect, please tell me and I will change it for another spell.

Description
[ Spoiler ]

Edit: I'd most like to improve my magic, he's just not tha hot at it at the moment.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Play @ Nov 17 2008, 09:12 PM) *
I don't have it, but if you really want to play that you can send me the relevant info.

Does light F night - Sunday mean no posts, or a post a day?

Usually no posts. The weekend is for my RL gaming. Feel free to tell me to find another game. There are others who are interested and if their schedules work out better for you, there's no reason to hold a spot for me if I don't marsh with your mallow.
Mister Juan
Do you allow to break up skill groups at Char Gen?
rob
Aight, here's Jesse "Toad" Volkmann:

[ Spoiler ]

Jesse is a very talented, but immature, scumbag. If he put his mind to it, he could have grown up to be successful. He did not. He has always been intrigued by the glamour of bad things, shady dealings, and the rest. He'll tell long and exciting stories of his family, which he alternately appears to both love and despise. Anyone who knows him well enough knows that everything he says is the truth, but never the whole truth and nothing but the truth... But, anyone can also tell that he's been raised in crap, and his talents might seem to be able to get him out of it, if he could wise up. He ran with gangs as a kid, picked up a nova habit because that's what the cool kids were doing when he was 12. He's been beaten mercilessly by his friends, his family, his enemies. He has a large scar over his right eye, from a knife fight. He speaks with an uncharacteristically high voice for someone his age and build, because he got punched in the throat at 14 and grew up funny. He got picked up more than enough times for coke and petty crap that the people in his precinct knew hem well - when he started getting heavier, he got bagged, tagged, and issued with a criminal SIN. He got his cyberarms working as a temprorary construction worker, before forklift pallette full of crap (carried by a drone crane he was trying to operate while welding) landed on his arms. He worked for a couple months as an accounting assistant, before not fitting in at work and skimming off the books to feed his self image screwed that job over.

He's out on his latest work release, and has been doing odd jobs. He's picked up a prtty good gig as a longshoreman. He's smart, and can handle a lot of things simultaneously. He can simultaneously run two or three dorne forklifts, a crane, and do his own thing. He's figured out welding, building stuff, any number of things. He's intelligent, curious, fun, and enthusiastic - but simultaneously arrogant, indecisive, gullible, distractable, and the negative flipsides of that. Someone who just met him will immediately see the negatives - they're written on his face and attitude like a stamp. Someone who knows him better will see how much he's been able to do despite that.
Play
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Nov 17 2008, 07:58 PM) *
however I do intend to drink beyond all reason and I'm hoping thata I won't be staggering around drunk as a side effect of this smile.gif

Also, I have shape metal. If you don't think ferrocrete and plastisteel are affected by shape metal, or that paint or similar blocks LOS for effect, please tell me and I will change it for another spell.

If you're drinking beyond all reason, you'll have side effects. Even the Drunken Master passed out. Often.

My answer to shape metal/earth is above.

Might as well put yourself in seattle, not l.a.

He'd better either play well with others or your teammates better be very forgiving if he's as aggressive as he sounds like.

Remember, I'm playing an intelligent game. Out of control, super agressive types, IMHO, wouldn't last 5 minutes in the shadows. Might be a fun 5 minutes though.

Top Ex, your friendly grizzled veteran says...
"There's always someone better than you.
They're likely not willing to put up with your drek."

It just all depends on how you play him. Meta variant is fine.
Play
QUOTE (Dashifen @ Nov 17 2008, 08:08 PM) *
Usually no posts. The weekend is for my RL gaming. Feel free to tell me to find another game. There are others who are interested and if their schedules work out better for you, there's no reason to hold a spot for me if I don't marsh with your mallow.

If it turns out to be a problem, I'll kill your character off in a highly dramatic, satisfying way:)

Possibly I'll just post a move for you, or see what the delay looks like. Depends on how fast we move, and what's happening.

Play
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Nov 17 2008, 08:27 PM) *
Do you allow to break up skill groups at Char Gen?

Ask me that in a different way, as I don't know what you mean.

Do you mean specialize one of the subskills?
Play
QUOTE (rob @ Nov 18 2008, 09:22 AM) *
Aight, here's Jesse "Toad" Volkmann:

Type O System
Cybercompatible

Remind me what these do, por favor.
rob
Decrease essence costs of bio and cyber.

Type O = off the shelf bioware is delta grade, but he's particularly valuable to organleggers, etc.
Cybercompatible = 10% loss in essence cost.

Not particularly relevant at character creation - he will have a ton of crappy equipment, given that he's not particularly a high-pay-grade guy. However, relevant for where I see him going.

v/r
Rob
Mister Juan
QUOTE (Play @ Nov 18 2008, 03:41 PM) *
Ask me that in a different way, as I don't know what you mean.

Do you mean specialize one of the subskills?

Like buying Firearms Skill Group, then upping one of them higher with extra BP.
Play
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Nov 18 2008, 02:48 PM) *
Like buying Firearms Skill Group, then upping one of them higher with extra BP.

Sure.
Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Play @ Nov 18 2008, 04:37 PM) *
If you're drinking beyond all reason, you'll have side effects. Even the Drunken Master passed out. Often.

I'll remove it and change the geas.

My answer to shape metal/earth is above.

Acknowledged - sorry, I took out the spell but forgot to remove the question.

Might as well put yourself in seattle, not l.a.

Will do.

He'd better either play well with others or your teammates better be very forgiving if he's as aggressive as he sounds like.

Remember, I'm playing an intelligent game. Out of control, super agressive types, IMHO, wouldn't last 5 minutes in the shadows. Might be a fun 5 minutes though.

Example of previous work at: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?show...hollywood,+sink

No other comments?
Mister Juan
Alright... I think I sorta have it down
Since I believe it had been said that all the characters knew each other, I'll post Dexter's sheet here.
The cyberware, bioware and gear list are simplified (no prices, essences, etc...)
@Play: I'll send you an excel sheet with the precise list

Character Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

Cyber and Bio
[ Spoiler ]

The gear section, I might change.... since I just realized I didn't even buy a car......... But if we're an established team, we might want to pool some of our ressources for a vehicle.

Gear
[ Spoiler ]

Play
QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Nov 18 2008, 03:29 PM) *
No other comments?

Nope. I'm pretty easy.

In return, I just ask you play it 'real'.
Play
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Nov 18 2008, 03:34 PM) *
Restricted Gear (Cyberarm) 5BP
Biocompatibility (Cyberware) 10BP
Implant Induced Immune Deficiency -10

Remind me.

Customized Obvious Full Cyber Arm (Strenght 9, Agility 9, Body 5, Spur)

I assume this is your shooting arm?

Mister Juan
Restricted Gear (Cyberarm) 5BP
Biocompatibility (Cyberware) 10BP
Implant Induced Immune Deficiency -10

Restricted Gear: 1 item up to avail 20
Biocompatibility: -10% essence cost
Implant Induced Dificiency: -2 on all Body test to resist diseases, drugs, toxins

QUOTE (Play @ Nov 18 2008, 07:08 PM) *
I assume this is your shooting arm?

Yes, shooting arm. Right arm. Also knife fighting arm, punching arm and spur totting arm nyahnyah.gif Did I mention grenade throwing arm ?
Play
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Nov 18 2008, 04:29 PM) *
Yes, shooting arm. Right arm. Also knife fighting arm, punching arm and spur totting arm nyahnyah.gif Did I mention grenade throwing arm ?

Cool.
Mister Juan
I'm pretty much set.
I'll write up more background when time free's up.

Just as a quick note: tomorrow (19) and friday (21) I probably won't be able to post, since I'll have really hectic days.
Play
QUOTE (Mister Juan @ Nov 18 2008, 05:00 PM) *
I'm pretty much set.
I'll write up more background when time free's up.

Just as a quick note: tomorrow (19) and friday (21) I probably won't be able to post, since I'll have really hectic days.

OK. Likely won't be anything happening. Though I'm ready to start.

And, I challenge you to take two minutes to check in, and if there is reason to, post something.

This will be my usual response to the above communication. Thanks for communicating, if you can't make it, fine, and, everybody can take two minutes.
Play
I have put up an IC and OOC board for Daily Action.

Please post your char sheets on the IC board before any actions are taken. I'd like to have them there for an easily found reference point.

I'm ready to start whenever y'all are.

Let's move the conversation to the OOC board. Whoever has been on here so far, that gets a char sheet in in the next couple days, can play.
Mister Juan
Well, I can definitly read the boards every single day. And I usually do it numerous times.
I just MIGHT not have time to post on those two days.

Thing is, I work mainly as a freelance photographer; which means that contracts are sometimes very last minutes (like the ones I have tomorrow and friday), but they never take up more than a single day.
Mister Juan
So, who's in?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012