Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New 'Ware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Austere Emancipator
I don't think nanites in SR are at the level were they would be availible at every fixers weapon cache.

I did not mean to say that they would be. Neither would Panther Assault Cannons, Anti-Vehicular Missiles, Outlaw Block IIIs or Vigilant ACs be.

The problem is everyone one in the world knows about missiles and cannons, so the people out to kill you are going to use that stuff, nanites are reletivly new in the SR world, so only assassins and such are going to use that stuff. Depending on the mark he will use that stuff at the prescribed levels you describbed.

I should think the 4 weapons mentioned above would in fact be even less commonly used in the shadowrunning circles.

Couldn't you buy the cheaper nanites, like symbiotes that have the abilities to repiar cells and reprogram them to destroy cells. It takes a awhile and you need some special equipment, but nothing a well motivated and resourful runner could not come up with.

Actually, I think I'll just assume that that's pretty much what corps did. Ie, when they were developing Nano-Symbiotes, Nano-Medkits and the like, they also developed Cutters. And because they were a by-product of that research and even easier to manufacture (like I said, damaging things is far easier than fixing things), they'll be cheaper. Probably around 1/3rd the price mentioned in M&M (or ~7,000 nuyen), but perhaps even higher Street Index (x6 maybe).

I kind of think they should be hard to get and exspensive to by so I don't have an army of runners running around with a supersquirt filled with DMSO/Cutters slaying the city.

With the current rules, that'd be 100,000 nuyen per squirt. With my lower prices, that'd still be ~42,000 per squirt. And DMSO and the SuperSquirt+CO2, of course. I truly doubt that will be a problem... Green Ring-8 and Seven-7 would still cost 1/10th of that, they're far easier to get at, and unlike with Cutters, you don't get shot back at for 2 Minutes while you wait for the stuff to take effect.
Frag-o Delux
Anyone worth killing with a 42,000/100,000 nuyen.gif is likely to have at least some Panther cannons laying around. biggrin.gif

The Great Dragon ATGM is pretty cheap and has and availibility of 6 or 8.

With the green-ring nerve gas, a few of my characters carry Atropine to counter the effects, to counter nanites you need Nanite Hunters for 60,000 nuyen.gif a dose and need to know exactly what nanite you want to hunt, true we are talking Cutters but what other nasty is out there waiting to be dropped on the market?

Like I said, I see nothing wrong with your game, I just preffer to keep that kind of stuff away from my players/co-runners, and with our style of play, no rolls hidden and they stand as is. If one of the guys rolls up a dose of Cutters then I'll have to face it, but at 100,000 nuyen.gif then want be looking at that for a very long time.

and unlike with Cutters, you don't get shot back at for 2 Minutes while you wait for the stuff to take effect.

When you fight you have to chose your weapon wisely, if I was looking to get into a stand up fight with soemone, I wouldn't use a weapon that takes 2 minutes to start working and another 30 seconds to do its job. That is what a 500 nuyen.gif pistol is for.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
With the green-ring nerve gas, a few of my characters carry Atropine to counter the effects [...]

While atropine is indeed (at least a part of) an "antidote" to most(/all?) nerve gases IRL, this is not canon in SR (maybe you knew this already, but anyway). Anyway, you'd need an actual chemical weapons "antidote" kit, not just straight atropine, and you'd still be out of the fight for the whole duration.

If one of the guys rolls up a dose of Cutters then I'll have to face it, but at 100,000  then want be looking at that for a very long time.

The availability of 20 is the real kicker here, and if someone can get 42,000, he can probably get 100,000 too. And I much, much rather see them get these than Outlaw Block IIIs and Vigilant ACs. There's no antidote for 30D of Autocannon Goodness, either. wink.gif

When you fight you have to chose your weapon wisely, if I was looking to get into a stand up fight with soemone, I wouldn't use a weapon that takes 2 minutes to start working and another 30 seconds to do its job. That is what a 500  pistol is for.

Well then this is kind of moot, isn't it?
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
I kind of think they should be hard to get and exspensive to by so I don't have an army of runners running around with a supersquirt filled with DMSO/Cutters slaying the city.
BlackSmith
an assasin tool you say?
9M for 1d6+3 rounds?
an assasin is suposed to KILL the target or im wroong here?

you get your hands easier&/cheaper&/faster on cynide/sniper rifle/FAE bombs than shredders AND they make the kill more sure because of the over kill rules.

9M! wow... thats best of 27 boxes of damage. character with body 18 aint dead so where is this assasin tool?
or if you have bad dice luck with the duration anyone with body 3 survives the shredders wihtout even touching the dices and just wating the super platinium DocWagon to kick in. if we are realy using this caliber "assasin" tools we can asume the target has damn good medical care.
assasin tool my arse.

it should be rewriten to say: "after three rounds of the injection the character undergoes a huge system shcok that coresponds as the character would have 10/10 of physical and stun damage. after this the character has 1d6+3 minutes before he dies. only palcing the character in Avatar (that super duper medic box) can possible save him but the doctor needs to beat TN 14 with his first aid skill. even after that the charcter is considered having 10/10 phy damage and he gains the flaws quadriple, low pain toleranse, blindness, deafness, weak immune system, sensitive system and slow healer."
Yeah. that starts to sound REAL shredders.
Frag-o Delux
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
With the green-ring nerve gas, a few of my characters carry Atropine to counter the effects [...]

While atropine is indeed (at least a part of) an "antidote" to most(/all?) nerve gases IRL, this is not canon in SR (maybe you knew this already, but anyway). Anyway, you'd need an actual chemical weapons "antidote" kit, not just straight atropine, and you'd still be out of the fight for the whole duration.

We play if you know the cure to soemthing then you can have it. No sense in making all kinds of rolls and BS like that, if you know you have been hit by nerve gas and you have a dose of cure for then use it. I know atropine isn't the only thing in the nerve gas cure, but i didn't feel like going into all that.

The whole thing of spending 42,000 nuyen.gif on a one shot "bullet" is a complete waste to me. I would only use them in the Arc where they originated as one of Deus's toys, until somethig in the Nanite world, in SR sourcebooks, would make them cost effective to use all the time or enev rarelly for that matter. Like you have said there are many other options out there to destroy lots of things, Shredder/Cutters are really just one of those things like the Ares RedLine, cool but ultimatly useless/out of the runners league. Lie BalckSmith also said there are a whole bunch of better tools for assassins to use.

@ BlackSmith I hope most of that was sarcasm. 9M for the first round, then another for at least 4 rounds is 12 boxes of damage, even a guy with with 5 or 6 Body is going to have an awfully hard time living through that, even if he had a Doc Wagon Platinum contract do you think they would get there in 30 seconds to try and save this guy. Even if the panic bracelette went off at the first sign of trouble, chances are the target will be dead before the paramedics can even turn on their flashing lights to start toward you. And the Shredders/Cutter if they still ad turns to go would continue to chew into the target for additional time like you said ultimatley dealing 27 boxes of damage.

Another thing about the Outlae missiles and Victory Cannons, they Shredders/Cutters in a jar is going to draw less attention then either of those weapons, especially since both those weapons require some sort of weapon mount usually a big beefy vehicle. So when I GM I preferre the big weapons, as they are easier to spot and take away, though they can cause massive amounts of damage the players are less willing to pull them out for you average fight. When I am a player I would not like either of these weapons being used either the heavy artillery or the Nanites, as we also have another rule in out games, If the PCs can have it so can the NPCs.
Kagetenshi
I really, REALLY don't think 9M physical, unmodified by any armor, a MINIMUM of four times is weak. We're dealing with something that will reliably dice just about anyone. At the end they aren't dead, no, just in overdamage, but think about how friggin' tiny nanites are. We aren't talking about filling them to the brim with these things, we're talking a relatively small dose. That's pretty effective if you ask me.
Let's look at someone with a Body of 6. They on average get a single success half of the time, so they never stage. They're lucky and the nanites are only active for twelve seconds. They end up at D+1 box, which means that they have exactly fifteen seconds to receive medical attention before they are dead.
It becomes pretty much an instakill weapon if you use common sense and don't let people without surgical tools try to stabilize them, too.

~J

Edit: *Pats self on the back* Good going, man! Way to miss the <sarcasm> tag!
BlackSmith
QUOTE (Frag-o Delux)
[QUOTE=Austere Emancipator,Jan 2 2004, 07:19 AM]
9M for the first round, then another for at least 4 rounds is 12 boxes of damage, even a guy with with 5 or 6 Body is going to have an awfully hard time living through that, even if he had a Doc Wagon Platinum contract do you think they would get there in 30 seconds to try and save this guy....

the magic word is the FIRST ROUND.
this stuff needs 4 ROUNDS to get you in deadly condition.
"oh i got M damage, heal. oh i got M damage, heal. oh i got M damage, heal. oh i got M damage, heal..." repeat until end of time.

the character has ROUNDS to deal with the problem. even cyanide, that spreads o ncelural level and via blood stream, inflicts -what 12D?- at the FIRST round.

it might take two rounds to figure out whats going on but then the target is himself at phone giving what ever dying-mands-comamnds.

when you assasinate someone the point is that no one knows he is dead until it is too late. now a suit with body 1 can give command for nuke strike while waiting death...
Kagetenshi
Twelve seconds. Unless you've got people prepared to deal with the situation ahead of time, twelve seconds is not enough to save someone.

~J
Rev
Heal and treat are not instantly effective. Maybe it takes only one round to finish a Light wound heal/treat, but I think it takes 5 rounds to finish a Medium wound. Still one mage could probably keep the target from dying if they do a heal that takes away 9 damage or so (I think the damage goes away right away, but comes back if they stop sustaining it before the spell is done).

But these things can be remotely triggered anyway right, or set with a timer?

What you do is dose him and set the nanites to go off at 4am. The odds are pretty good that he is dead before anyone figures out what is happening and heals him (and that is only possible if there is a mage with a very strong heal or treat less than 15 seconds away).

Anyhow you don't poison people with 18 body to death (unless they have lots of bioware) you park a gasoline truck on them, then blow up the truck. You poison high corp execs where it is hard to get even a vial of nanites close to them, let alone an assault cannon, but who have 3 body.
toturi
QUOTE (Rev)
But these things can be remotely triggered anyway right, or set with a timer?

What you do is dose him and set the nanites to go off at 4am. The odds are pretty good that he is dead before anyone figures out what is happening and heals him (and that is only possible if there is a mage with a very strong heal or treat less than 15 seconds away).

Anchored Diagnose and Treat spells... If the target values his life, he'll be wearing that anchored foci everywhere. And if you are paid enough to use nanites to kill someone, the target would probably be rich enough to afford such magical protection.
Kagetenshi
I would also say that it'd probably take some time to notice that this is happening. Inside the body pain nerves aren't that hugely common, with a few areas of exception.

~J
Rev
Yea, that *might* work too.

Assuming the anchoring/treat was smart enough to wait until the guy was more badly injured before going off (rather than expending itself on thier first medium wound, in which case he probably dies anyway), or assuming he had more than one such setup chained together.

toturi
QUOTE (Rev)
Yea, that *might* work too.

Assuming the anchoring/treat was smart enough to wait until the guy was more badly injured before going off (rather than expending itself on thier first medium wound, in which case he probably dies anyway), or assuming he had more than one such setup chained together.

A mage would know if his spells went off, anchored or not, since there is that drain thing. If the mage was a live-in security mage, the response time would be fast. And since cutters are treated as chemicals for the purpose of game mechanics, perhaps an antidote spell would work against them.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (toturi)
A mage would know if his spells went off, anchored or not, since there is that drain thing. If the mage was a live-in security mage, the response time would be fast.

12 seconds fast? I think not, unless he/she is sleeping with the mage in question.

QUOTE (Toturi)
And since cutters are treated as chemicals for the purpose of game mechanics, perhaps an antidote spell would work against them.

No. Just no. I believe this is covered in RA:S with regard to the nanites used by the Bumblebees.

~J
Diesel
Well, to get a little bit back on topic, I'd like a cyberlighter. In my finger. Maybe even turn it into a small torch, if you can get a cutting laser in someone's eye, for damn sure you can get a Zippo in a finger.
Kagetenshi
Fingerlasers ought to be possible too.

~J
toturi
QUOTE (Kagetenshi @ Jan 3 2004, 09:54 AM)

~J

I want my dick laser! Anyone want to see my lightsaber? eek.gif biggrin.gif
Kagetenshi
Your Schwarz is as long as mine!

~J
Siege
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Your Schwarz is as long as mine!

~J

You know, I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

-Siege
Diesel
Fucking hell, look what being on topic gets you. A discussion about wang-swords.
toturi
QUOTE (Diesel)
Fucking hell, look what being on topic gets you. A discussion about wang-swords.

Hey, that's some cyber/bio/gene thing I'll like to see.... I'm sure my squeeze would be thrilled too.... biggrin.gif
Centurion
QUOTE (toturi)

~J

Although the question remains, does the concealibility of 24 refer to the weapon or your organ?
toturi
QUOTE (Centurion)
QUOTE (toturi @ Jan 2 2004, 09:17 PM)

~J

Although the question remains, does the concealibility of 24 refer to the weapon or your organ?

Organ? It's a weapon of mass orgasm! eek.gif biggrin.gif
Moonstone Spider
I still like the idea of cyber-wings.
Diesel
*kills self*
Fortune
At least he didn't say it had a lot of penetration power.
Buzzed
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider)

go go gadget coptor!

Retractable rotating blades seem more reasonable then "wings". Not to mention more power firendly!

Although a cyber "glider" would make sense. Or a handy cyber "chute".
Buzzed
Or you could detatch your cyberfinger and use it as a penis.

Like this guy did.
Snake Oil
Cybernetic wings, parachutes, and gliders would be about as useful as ruthenium Dermal Sheathes. In other words, not useful whatsoever unless you want to walk around mostly nude all of the time.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Buzzed)
Or you could detatch your cyberfinger and use it as a penis.

Like this guy did.

Though it doesn't really matter here, I would warn everyone from believing anything they read in Pravda. Considering that 99.9% of what they write is absolute crap, it can generally be considered proof of something being a lie if it gets published in Pravda.
Kagetenshi
But since the fall of the USSR it isn't party-platform lies.

~J
Austere Emancipator
But no less hostile to the west, and especially the US, than before, as you can see from articles like this, this, this, or indeed any article that Google found in the English.Pravda.Ru site that mentions americans.

Sometimes I feel so damn frustrated when Finns bash the US while we have a nuclear state full of absolute fucking morons right next door...

(Not that I have anything against Russians in general, but I'm sure even they'll agree that they have really horrible politicians there. One of the most terrible governments anywhere in the "civilized" world.)

[Edit]Self-censorship, I speak quicker than I think.[/Edit]
Kagetenshi
But the US is taking over the world with an army of secret space-planes! They hide inside red blood cells, you know.

~J
Phaeton
QUOTE (Buzzed)
QUOTE (Moonstone Spider @ Jan 3 2004, 10:33 AM)

go go gadget coptor!

Retractable rotating blades seem more reasonable then "wings". Not to mention more power firendly!

Although a cyber "glider" would make sense. Or a handy cyber "chute".

Actually, I was planning to make Inspector Gadget into a SR character. Cyberzombie and detective extraordinaire! grinbig.gif
Siege
Speaking as an American, bash us both -- nuclear super-powers are scary things. grinbig.gif

Cyberwings are, as pointed out, silly ideas and hardly practical edevices although terminally cool for thematic elements.

And for those of us who just gotta swoop out of the darkened night sky like bats and are getting tired of using bungie cords of the sides of skyscrappers...grinbig.gif

-Siege
Phaeton
...Bungee cords after plugging the trade exec with HESH rounds while ruthenium-cloaked and then jumping out the window? grinbig.gif *nudgenudge* *elbowelbow*
Siege
QUOTE (Phaeton)
...Bungee cords after plugging the trade exec with HESH rounds while ruthenium-cloaked and then jumping out the window? grinbig.gif *nudgenudge* *elbowelbow*

Actually, picture this:

Leaping off a skyscrapper's ledge with a bungie, release from the bungie cord on the rebound and pop a BASE parachute to glide away...grinbig.gif

-Siege
Snake Oil
As opposed to just using the parachute to begin with?
Siege
QUOTE (Snake Oil)
As opposed to just using the parachute to begin with?

Obviously you don't have the Mild Addiction: Adrenaline Rush flaw. grinbig.gif

-Siege
Phaeton
rotfl.gif @ Siege.

...And just because the grinbig.gif icon seems to be so popular in this thread...

... grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif grinbig.gif
Birdy
"Necessary" / Interesting Stuff IMHO:

Magic detectors / defences for the mundane (Think implanted PSI-Shield)

Some nanity/cyber/bio disguise system that is difficult to detect
and can:

Change skin/eye/hair color
Hight by some centimeters
Facial form

Mobile Holoprojectors (not necessarily an implant)

A natural cyberhand that can double as a smoking pipe if curled
A natural cyberhand that acts as a classic lighter/match (flame on thumb)

Official rules on what I can do with non-cyberdeck computers. I can houserule all day but canons better

Classic paper money and rules for the stuff

More on food/food processing

More space/submarine stuff (SeaQuest:2060 anyone wink.gif )

Birdy

Zazen
QUOTE (Snake Oil)
Cybernetic wings, parachutes, and gliders would be about as useful as ruthenium Dermal Sheathes. In other words, not useful whatsoever unless you want to walk around mostly nude all of the time.

Y'know, rather than wings, gliders, or 'chutes, how about a balloon?

I bet a small balloon could be made tough enough to hold a bunch of hydrogen or helium to be released from an internal tank. It wouldn't need to be huge, just enough to slow your descent to something survivable. It might have flaps to catch air for a supplementary parachute effect. Clothing could have a break-away flap in the back or wherever to be forced open by the balloons inflation. An inflating airbag is unlikely to get tangled or open improperly, too.

Just something to help survive a major fall. I think it'd be cool.
toturi
You know? I had the exact same idea after watching a simulation of the Mars lander. Even if he landed fast, he'll just bounce and bounce to a stop.
Herald of Verjigorm
Why does this sound like it will be the next craze for those who are bored of bungie jumping?

"You go up to the top of a tall building, put on the suit, jump off, the suit inflates, and you bounce to a stop down the street a bit."
Zazen
I meant a balloon to be used for bouyancy like a big helium balloon, not as an airbag to absorb the impact of a fall.
Fortune
But the airbag idea has more in the way of a coolness factor. biggrin.gif
Zazen
It'd be pretty popular with bike riggers, I bet. Or if you're being grappled by gnomes. smile.gif
Fresno Bob
"Get off! Get off!"

*FOOMP!*
Tiralee
"Get off! Get off!"

*FOOMP!*

Why does the scene of Veruca Salt (Charley and the Chocolate Factory, natch.) suddenly pop into my head here?

Oompa...Oompa...

<Shakes head>

Well, how about a combination of both? Basically an uninflated "Fat suit"/Air bag/Helium balloon?

I know it's not cyber but imagine...

-Jumping for your life from the 56th floor, activating your suit as you go off of the edge.

-The internal shaping and direction of the gas bladders force you into a foetal position, hands over your head. The hood inflating shortly after, protecting your fragile skull.

-The additional cushion pads blowing up all over the suit after the "curl up and live" bladders have fully deployed.

-The sudden, shocking impact of the ground, then again as you bounce. After a few more, the outer bladders blow first, softening the impact and negating further bouncing.

-With your "Jump'n'Blow-Suit" spent, falling into easily-escapable pieces, you stagger to your feet, locate your car and drive away, somewhat stunned but alive and with what you came for...

Ps: Anyone got a better name for it than "Jump'n'Blow"? Purple models available on request, for an additional charge.

PPS: Beats having to smuggle your parachute on board the plane you're about to hijak.

L;
Zazen
QUOTE (Tiralee)
Why does the scene of Veruca Salt (Charley and the Chocolate Factory, natch.) suddenly pop into my head here?

The blueberry girl was named Charlotte, I think. Veruca was a different one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012