Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NeoTokyo
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > General Gaming
Fix-it
NeoTokyoHQ (Homepage)

Mod Database Page

looks good.

you definitely wanna check out the trailer. the animations are a bit stiff, but that's really a limitation of the HL2 engine.

looks like just capture the flag and deathmatch gametypes so far.
hobgoblin
was there not one under the name of dystopia?

and cyberpunk mods have been tried in FPS games since at least quake 1, and all have failed in some way or other.

their page was light on actual game details, and the video looks like yet another run and gun CS clone (ugh i hate that mod, i never see players have any interest in tactics or similar).
Fix-it
Dystopia is another excellent mod, which I frequently play. I was just listing this one as well, to spread awareness.

dystopia 1.2 is due this fall, however it will be released via steam, and widely publicized, so it will be newbie city for a while.

and if you can't find players interested in tactics, you're playing on the wrong servers. I've seen people get banned for not following the gameplan.

Wounded Ronin
It's too bad that nowadays games have so much graphics and stuff that it's hard for someone to make an extensively modded single player campaign. Some of my happiest gaming days were playing single player Deus Ex mods, like Redsun 2020 and Zodiac.
Fortune
Do you have a link for those?

I've never actually played any mods for any games, apart from Neverwinter Nights that is. Are they usually better than the original releases?
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 15 2008, 12:55 AM) *
Do you have a link for those?

I've never actually played any mods for any games, apart from Neverwinter Nights that is. Are they usually better than the original releases?

I can't say anything is better per se than the original Deus Ex, but some of the single player mods were absolutely top notch. My god, the memories. ModDB has the best ones, there are a few in development which might kick ass, esp. "The Nameless Mod", and believe it or not there was even a D&D inspired dungeon craw mod that came out called Mutations, which is hard as hell and has booby traps and everything.

Hold on...

Mutations: http://www.moddb.com/mods/terthos

Shifter, a gameplay enhancement for Deus Ex, which kicks so much ass it makes me cry: http://www.moddb.com/mods/shifter1

Hardcore, not my cup of tea, but it basically makes Deus Ex a hell of a lot harder by making it a crazy intense FPS experience with tough bad guys and weapons that have huge rates of fire and really big explosions...it's really freaking hard and crazy and just nuts: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hardcore-dx

Burden of 80 Proof...this one is completely different, and I helped to playtest it! Just try it...there's basically no violence, and it deals with character interactions and suburban ennui, if you can believe it: http://www.moddb.com/mods/burden-of-80-proof

Hotel Carone...this is a nice little tactical scenario where JC Denton must rescue hostages from a hotel without setting off alerts. It's a bit like old school Rainbow Six meets Deus Ex since there are serious consequences for letting the bad guys see you and alert the others such that you really can't just bust in the front door with big guns and twitch reflexes and do well in terms of saving all the hostages: http://www.moddb.com/mods/hotel-carone

ZODIAC...IMO the BEST single player campaign in terms of story and fun: http://www.moddb.com/mods/zodiac

The Cassandra Project...this is avant garde, you get to play a female, and it explicitly references Noam Chomsky. It breaks my heart they never made more installments: http://www.download.com/Deus-Ex-Cassandra-...4-10229409.html

Redsun 2020...last but not least, fun gameplay with a cheesy crap anime storyline. I played it through twice. http://redsun2020.deusexgaming.com/

I cannot believe that people go through all the trouble to make mods like this and then forget about them and stop updating them. Each one of these mods is like a precious part of my life because back when I was in college and grad school I played them a lot. I even played some of these mods in the Peace Corps on a laptop.

(That's why having games with low system requirements is awesome, instead of all this new inflated system requirements graphics crap. There's really something to be said for running absolute top notch games when you don't have access to the best in hardware.)
Fortune
Damn! Thanks for the links, and especially the summaries. Looks like I might be busy over the holidays. smile.gif
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 15 2008, 03:26 AM) *
Damn! Thanks for the links, and especially the summaries. Looks like I might be busy over the holidays. smile.gif

They kept me busy on and off for years.

There's one more mod I remember now...I think it was made by some German guy, and it involved JC Denton going to infiltrate a Shadowrun-style fortified corporate facility. It was VERY shadowrunny. However I can't remember what it was called so I can't search for it. When I remember what it was called I'll post a link.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 15 2008, 02:26 AM) *

I'm sure you can find a cheap-or-free version of Battlefield 1945 and slap the Desert Combat mod on it: www.desertcombat.com. Good times.
hobgoblin
does that do a better job then battlefield 2: modern combat?
Wesley Street
I couldn't say.
Mr. Man
As a fan of both Ghost in the Shell and Counter-Strike, I'm really enjoying NeoTokyo.

Besides the game itself, the players seem to be largely pretty mellow and well behaved. I think NT scares away the whiny ADD kids who lose their shit if a round stretches out a bit at the end. The lack of wannabe pro gamers is also (as always) a pleasure.

I'm enthusiastic enough about this game that I'd like to run a pub for it (I've got the hardware, bandwidth, etc. to set up a proper one). Unfortunately judging by the number of seemingly always-empty NeoTokyo servers there's probably no point without a group of regulars to populate it...

Anyway, thanks to Fix-it for this thread. I probably wouldn't have paid attention to this game without it.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Mr. Man @ Sep 20 2009, 12:33 PM) *
Besides the game itself, the players seem to be largely pretty mellow and well behaved. I think NT scares away the whiny ADD kids who lose their shit if a round stretches out a bit at the end. The lack of wannabe pro gamers is also (as always) a pleasure.

Well, that's good. I think that a big reason I don't like online multiplayer is how you always seem to end up playing with a bunch of losers who act like how well they do in the game is their only validation in life, so they exhibit poor sportsmanship and bad manners. I feel like it's not worth my mental energy to interact with them.
Mr. Man
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Sep 20 2009, 05:39 PM) *
Well, that's good. I think that a big reason I don't like online multiplayer is how you always seem to end up playing with a bunch of losers

You'll find that these days there are a large number of "adults only" clans and servers for multiplayer games across the board.

That isn't to say you can get away with not paying your dues, but at least with these people if you can make Etiquette (Multiplayer Games) checks you won't get hassled too much even if you're really bad at the game.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (Mr. Man @ Sep 21 2009, 12:14 AM) *
You'll find that these days there are a large number of "adults only" clans and servers for multiplayer games across the board.

That isn't to say you can get away with not paying your dues, but at least with these people if you can make Etiquette (Multiplayer Games) checks you won't get hassled too much even if you're really bad at the game.

That's good to know. In the past I'd stuck to games I figured wouldn't appeal to 12 year olds, like Red Orchestra.
Fix-it
ha. I actually never got around to playing this once it was released. saw the trailer, then forgot about it. downloading now.

I find Dystopia also has a pretty mature userbase. more of western look on Cyberpunk.
Blade
Played them both (Neo Tokyo and Dystopia) yesterday. They look fun and interesting (emphasis on tactics rather than twitch shooting, especially for Neo Tokyo), but after playing mods like Infiltration or Trooper (the excellent Star Wars mod for UT2004) and games like ArmA, I feel that they lack the kind of "realistic" movement, that add a lot of dynamism and immersion to the aforementioned games. Even with the augmented sprint in Dystopia doesn't make you feel like you're running.
Dumori
I love Dystopia how ever I dislike Neotokyo its devs aren't the best baning you for having a cheater on your friends list and a pritty greif heavy mod the gun feel a bit plastic but are meant to feel real. Dystopia Is'nt a serrious FPS realism is defenlty seconedplace to fun. Its fast paced and manic adn the best players are well really really good. Some of the pro heavy plkays zip round faster than a rocket with their night on instant death cannons.
hobgoblin
to me that sounds like the definition of anti-fun...
Dumori
oh and its slow as hell in a bad way it can end up as a game of hide and seak as you run round trying to fint that last frag as if you pick up the ghost every one will know where you are...
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 6 2009, 01:18 PM) *
to me that sounds like the definition of anti-fun...

What, banning you for having a cheater on your friends list?

Just don't put anyone on your friends list.

*Cheaters* are the anti-fun. It blows my mind how pathetic someone has to be to try and cheat on an online FPS game.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Oct 9 2009, 01:54 AM) *
What, banning you for having a cheater on your friends list?

Just don't put anyone on your friends list.

*Cheaters* are the anti-fun. It blows my mind how pathetic someone has to be to try and cheat on an online FPS game.

nope, this:

QUOTE (Dumori @ Oct 5 2009, 04:51 PM) *
Its fast paced and manic adn the best players are well really really good. Some of the pro heavy plkays zip round faster than a rocket with their night on instant death cannons.

i just hate run and gun games, as to me they ruin the teamplay effort as one twitchy player with high end hardware can lay waste to whole teams.

sounds however that neotokyo walked into the classical CS trap of hinging the round on either mcguffin capture or other team wipe, rather then having some kind of timed spawn or something to keep the game going for everyone...
Mr. Man
Just wanted to add that the soundtrack for this mod is great. It reminds me a bit of Amon Tobin's Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory soundtrack. The game comes with half of it (check your \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\SourceMods\NeotokyoSource\soundtrack\ directory) while the whole thing is available in a double CD set for a mere $11.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012